The Dark Knight Rises

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's more reasonable, but I'd rather read/talk about the new one (plus, we've already had that discussion in this thread).

Seeing the trailer in decent quality, it does indeed seem that something physical happens to Bats (a couple of things, actually), there's a shot of someone using a cane when Alfred is giving his speech about failing to protect Bruce (it would make sense that it be him), and in the shot of Wayne entering the party he's walking with a strange gait and his right arm is placed out to his side like he's using a cane, which he appears to be leaning on in a later shot (I'm just going to mark this one down as fact =). Oh yeah, and that shot of him bloody and on his back with Bane taunting him sure seems to be something! It's just a matter of the chronology; for instance, does he use a cane because of his injuries from the last movie (he doesn't seem too discontent and judging from the dialogue the bad stuff hasn't happened yet)? Anyway, the basic arc of the plot has taken shape from what we've seen/heard: Gotham is good after TDK, Batman is retired, Bane shows up and fucks everything up, but then... THE DARK KNIGHT RISES! USA! USA!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Starting on page 4, 4th post down, user BambooLounge gives a fantastic defense spanning 12 pages or so of why Nolan's The Dark Knight/and/or Ledger are overrated. I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

I wouldn't call what I read fantastic, but truth be told I didn't persevere much. Also, the fact he thinks Batman Begins is what everyone else thinks TDK is pretty much discredits him right away as far as I'm concerned.

As for The Dark Knight Rises, well... It's failed to catch my interest so far, like its predecessors.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Official trailer released: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknightrises/

Hey, I can hear Bane now!

Griffith

Alternative source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=7gFwvozMHR4

Supposedly the plot is inspired by not only Knightfall but No Man's Land and The Dark Knight Returns, which makes it a lot more promising when you look at it that way. I've pretty much talked myself into it based on the idea of it being Rocky III for Batman. So, think Ra's al Creed will come back to train Batty for the big rematch with Clubber Bane?

"When you fought me you had the eye of the bat!"

"I still do, but now I really can't see out of it."

:rakshas:

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Griffith said:
Alternative source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=7gFwvozMHR4

Supposedly the plot is inspired by not only Knightfall but No Man's Land and The Dark Knight Returns, which makes it a lot more promising when you look at it that way. I've pretty much talked myself into it based on the idea of it being Rocky III for Batman. So, think Ra's al Creed will come back to train Batty for the big rematch with Clubber Bane?

"When you fought me you had the eye of the bat!"

"I still do, but now I really can't see out of it."

:rakshas:

lol a Rocky III comparision is quite nice, but where will Catwoman fit in then?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Watching the trailer in 1080p, on a 1080p monitor, the cane teases are quite obvious. It's in nearly every shot of Bruce.

Griffith

Lord Leith said:
lol a Rocky III comparision is quite nice, but where will Catwoman fit in then?

That's kind of the big question with the actual movie; how WILL she fit in? There's a lot going on and she just seems superfluous, then again it's probably going to be a two and a half hour movie. Anyway, she was alright in the trailer, but I still think it's still going to be a challenge to take her seriously as Catwoman.

Walter said:
Watching the trailer in 1080p, on a 1080p monitor, the cane teases are quite obvious. It's in nearly every shot of Bruce.

Yeah, they're not trying to hide it. Also, it makes sense if they're drawing inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns, he's not old, but he's not in any condition to be Batman anymore (depending on how hurt he actually is there and from what, "Sprained ankle!"). But, even if they're not referencing that, I'm a big fan of him being broken and defeated. To me the moment in the trailer that shows the most potential is the scene with Bane's line and Bruce's obvious... distress. It even helps the title if it's a literal rise from the ashes, and will hopefully keep the focus on Batman this time (go away, Catwoman)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I just started playing Arkham Asylum and I think it's better than whatever Nolan can do.

You mean that sexist piece of trash!? :troll:

Geez, this movie is just going to be the whipping boy for the last one's over-the-top success. Like I said, depending on how well they build off that source material, it could be quite solid and an improvement over the last movie (hype aside). Then again, it could be Batman Begins 2: Kittenwoman Rises.

P.S. This non-issue has become truly egregious:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-rises-christian-bale-batman-tom-hardy-bane-275489

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Work on re-editing Bane's voice already in progress:

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/66812/Christopher-Nolan-Asked-To-Re-Edit-Banes-Dark-Knight-Rises-Voice

A few days ago there was a rumor that Nolan had sent IMAX a different version of the Prologue where the background sounds in the plane are lowered so Bane's voice could be heard better. IMAX then confirmed there was no revised audio mix for the Prologue. It'll be interesting to see if Nolan makes adjustments for the movie release.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
IncantatioN said:
A few days ago there was a rumor that Nolan had sent IMAX a different version of the Prologue where the background sounds in the plane are lowered so Bane's voice could be heard better. IMAX then confirmed there was no revised audio mix for the Prologue. It'll be interesting to see if Nolan makes adjustments for the movie release.
It's already confirmed. Supposedly they will decrease the mask effect to make it less "confusing".

Griffith said:
People are morons.
Not that I took your comment in a bad way, but I tend to have issues when the english dialect tends to be altered or with some sort of accent. For this film? I had massive issues trying to understand what Bane said. Now I'm not one to complaint, specially because I always rely on subtitles. But that's me personally. In a nut shell, I understand why people may be confused by it, but at the same time, I wouldn't be making it such a big deal.

Griffith

Nomad said:
It's already confirmed. Supposedly they will decrease the mask effect to make it less "confusing".

I wouldn't say anything is confirmed other than the film's sound will be edited. There's several horribly written blog posts on the matter which raise more loaded questions than they give any answers. "Audiences are complaining! The studio is freaking! They asked him to change it!...? He will...? He won't... really...?" And whether they're saying it's being changed or not, they all use the same quotes. For example, the above piece is barely coherent. The title says he's been asked to change it, then it sends mixed messages stating that Bane wears a mask and the studio wants his voice changed, adding "However, this may not happen" followed by a quote indicating Nolan doesn't want to change it. So, which is it that won't be happening? Well, Bane's going to wear a mask, so did they mean Nolan won't be changing the voice despite the wishes of some? Then it says a bunch of random promotional crap and the whole thing amounts to nothing. Again, the quote is the same one being used in posts to confirm he won't be changing things beyond typical sound editing. So, who knows? It's just a mess of a non-story, and feels like more much ado about nothing for the anti-DKR bandwagon. Everyone built up the last movie, this one is getting the tear down treatment so far. I'm sure everyone involved is fine with the obsession with it though.

Nomad said:
Not that I took your comment in a bad way, but I tend to have issues when the english dialect tends to be altered or with some sort of accent. For this film? I had massive issues trying to understand what Bane said. Now I'm not one to complaint, specially because I always rely on subtitles. But that's me personally. In a nut shell, I understand why people may be confused by it, but at the same time, I wouldn't be making it such a big deal.

Yeah, I meant the hysteria, not those without an ear for accents (since we know you have a fine ear otherwise =). I've never had a problem understanding accents in movies though, only in person. :ganishka:

H

hellrasinbrasin

I think, that when all is said and done; that no one will achieve what Nolan has with his Dark Knight Trilogy.

:ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
I think, that when all is said and done; that no one will achieve what Nolan has with his Dark Knight Trilogy.

:ubik:
Big time Nolan fan here. But really? No one in the history of cinema? Isn't the original Star Wars trilogy already better? Godfather (let's just forget 3 ever happened, please)?.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Griffith said:
Maybe he just means making a cohesive, linear Batman trilogy? That's true! :guts:

Which is exactly, what I mean -- I mean look at Comic Book Films in general ; They Begin' but never "End".

With Nolan's films, we've seen The Beginning (Batman Begins), The Middle
(The Dark Knight), and now The End (The Dark Knight Rises).

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
Big time Nolan fan here. But really? No one in the history of cinema? Isn't the original Star Wars trilogy already better? Godfather (let's just forget 3 ever happened, please)?.

If you wanna forget Godfather 3, you should say the same of ROTJ.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I prefer to ignore the existence of the Star Wars Prequels, Godfather III was a 'Good Film' just not a 'Great Film' as the 1st 2 were.

So I wonder who'll make it out alive in the final Batman film.

Top Bottom