Dark Horse Releases

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
To be honest, the paper doesn't really seem to be cheaper, just thinner.
And likely was a measure of cost-savings for Dark Horse during the recession. I doubt it's of HIGHER quality than the previous format. Personally, I don't really care. The printing quality of the DH editions was never special, especially when compared to the official, Japanese editions. I buy these for the translations. The aesthetics of the experience are secondary.

Anyone interested in the best-possible quality of Berserk volumes should really invest in the Japanese editions.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
seppuku said:
Wait, you DON'T buy them for their beautiful metal on splattered ketchup logos?
No, but the varying INTENSE, X-TREEM descriptions of the series on the back cover always bring me back, kicking and screaming, begging for more! I AM THE LAW! :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
And likely was a measure of cost-savings for Dark Horse during the recession. I doubt it's of HIGHER quality than the previous format. Personally, I don't really care. The printing quality of the DH editions was never special, especially when compared to the official, Japanese editions. I buy these for the translations. The aesthetics of the experience are secondary.

Anyone interested in the best-possible quality of Berserk volumes should really invest in the Japanese editions.

Yep, the Japanese volumes are where it's at! :guts:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Out of curiosity, for those who own the Japanese volumes (I do as well) and are not fluent in Japanese, do you read them with printed off translations at hand? Or do you simply look at the book as is, sans translation to emerge yourself in the beautiful artwork? I'm guilty of just staring at the pretty pictures and just doing my best to remember the dialogue from the translations I've read.

I also own all the DH releases, mainly for the sake of convenience and to support local releases of Berserk as well as the original Japanese publication.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
Out of curiosity, for those who own the Japanese volumes (I do as well) and are not fluent in Japanese, do you read them with printed off translations at hand? Or do you simply look at the book as is, sans translation to emerge yourself in the beautiful artwork? I'm guilty of just staring at the pretty pictures and just doing my best to remember the dialogue from the translations I've read.

I read the translations posted on here when reading the Japanese volumes. Although, I often flip through them to just look at the artwork. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm kind of a bad example, because I've been reading the series for a looong time. But, these days if I'm reading through a Japanese edition, I'll generally look through the manga while glancing at text translations online. However, I'm usually just looking for one or two particular lines. For general reading purposes, it's easier for me to just read the DH versions, which I will often later compare to the text translations here to note any anomalies.

When I was first reading the series, I had purchased these terrible printed translations from a translation service (Aclimate Solutions). Across the years, I've supplemented my internal memories of those bad translations with the good ones here on SKnet. So, in the end, my current way of understanding most volumes in the series is a patchwork of different translations, often with different takes on the same scene.

Week 2 (5/13/09)
Volume 1, 24

Week 3 (5/23/09)
Volume 2,3,5

Week 4 (5/28/09)
Volume 6, 29

Week 5 (6/4/2009)
Volume 4,7,8,9

Week 6 (6/13/2009)
Volume 10, 12

EDIT

WOW Volume 14 has a prototype volume...thingy in it. I never knew how cool!

Week 9 (7/7/2009)
Volume 11,16,17,19,20

UPDATE
Week 15
Volume 13,14,15

Man, it took forever, but I finally closed up my first gap in my collection. I only have one more gap to close and I will just about have them all.

Oburi

All praise Grail
For anyone concerned with the new type of paper that Darkhorse used with volume 30 that made that book much thinner, I've heard that Darkhorse will return to using the same quality as before. I read that it was a one time thing that they tried. I don't know if this is 100% true, but I guess we'll see.

If true, I hope this means they will reprint volume 30 eventually. I am miffed, I don't mean to encourage them to try things like this often, but I would probably repurchase volume 30 just so it matches my others.

Can you name your source for the information?

Jaze1618 said:
If true, I hope this means they will reprint volume 30 eventually. I am miffed, I don't mean to encourage them to try things like this often, but I would probably repurchase volume 30 just so it matches my others.

Can you name your source for the information?

Someone posted a response by dark horse (supposedly) on the amazon review section of volume 30 saying it was a one time thing. I guess you could drop them a line and they ould get back to you.

It's true about the comments from amazon. (Note I'm not Andrew, all from amazon.)

"Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the email!

We did not cut the story pages of the Berserk title at all. Our
production department tried a one time test of a lighter stock paper,
which made the book look thinner and we cut 8 pages of ads from the
previous and Japanese versions of the title. The Story pages have
remained the same for this title.

We appreciate your interest in Dark Horse Comics.

Best,
Spencer
Dark Horse Comics, Inc."

read the comments on http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-30-Graphic-Novels/dp/1595822119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252014835&sr=8-1
someone else posted named alex also got the same response as "andrew". But by all means keep letting them know your opinion

It's nice to see those comments on amazon. I also like how DH keeps saying "made the book look thinner".

Edit: http://mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/2009/08/good-news-for-berserk-monkey-king-and.html

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/2009/08/good-news-for-berserk-monkey-king-and.html

Guess that settles it, and it really is good news.

I REALLY hope this means that future reprints of volume 30 will done with higher quality stock as well. I don't like the version I currently have.

Oburi said:
http://mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/2009/08/good-news-for-berserk-monkey-king-and.html

Guess that settles it, and it really is good news.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Jaze1618 said:
I REALLY hope this means that future reprints of volume 30 will done with higher quality stock as well. I don't like the version I currently have.

Same here. It looks so out of place on the bookshelf. I'm actually surprised that this wasn't a bigger deal. I mean why is Berserk treated like some Guinea pig for DH? People were up in arms over the fact that they started translating sound effects in book 13 (myself included) but it wasn't the same when DH just randomly decided to see if they could get away with making flimsy, cheap ass books starting at book 30? It's so fucking stupid. Why Berserk? Why not pull this shit with Gantz or something?

ZeroEO

Barguts
Hi the is my first post so be gentle if I'm necro-posting,

I got my copy of Berserk 30 a week or so ago from Amazon.ca, it too is thin. I've taken a few pictures of the book so people who don't have it can see what everyone is talking about since I didn't see any pictures of it.

Berserk%2030%20Thin.JPG

I didn't go too far back into this thread but I had a few questions too. Like why Berserk 14 is a little taller than the rest.

Berserk%2014%20Taller.JPG

And why Dark Horse has changed the cover style a few times. From going full cover picture to a coloured border then to a standard white border. While I do like the white borders better than the coloured ones I do with that Dark Horse had just kept the full cover picture.

Berserk01.JPG
Berserk18.JPG
Berserk26.JPG

And what I think is my last question is if anyone also has the tops or side of theirs Berserk books different tones and colours too, like so:

Berserk%201-13.JPG

You can see how some are almost a yellow colour while others are white and grey. While some of this may have already been covered I do apologizes if that is the case as I didn't go too far back in this thread before posting this.

Thanks in advance.

ZeroEO said:
And why Dark Horse has changed the cover style a few times. From going full cover picture to a coloured border then to a standard white border. While I do like the white borders better than the coloured ones I do with that Dark Horse had just kept the full cover picture.

Probably do to the Japanese covers also changing. http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/merchandise/manga/index.html

I too have the discolorations and taller 14 ed. I would assume that has to do with DH's quality but I don't know.

ZeroEO

Barguts
You're most likely right about the covers. I feel stupid now. I do love the fold out min-posters in the front on the new mangas. I wish I had the balls to pull them out.

ZeroEO said:
I do love the fold out min-posters in the front on the new mangas. I wish I had the balls to pull them out.
ha ha. Same here. Once I buy the Japanese volumes I'll yank out the posters from the US ones and hang them up. Maybe, I'll probably have to wait until I get the newest volume and see some errors or transgressions. It'll be a good way to vent.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I did at least attempt a search before posting this. :schnoz:

Has there been any re-releases or revisions to the Dark Horse volumes? If so, is there a list of which volumes were revised and what the revisions were? Also how to tell a re-release from an original in a store?

It's just that I'm tired of this piece of shit Dark Horse Berserk volume 1 that I've had for years In which the female Apostle says on one of the very first pages

"THIS IS YOUR LAST TASTE OF HEAVEN AFTER I SEND TO TO HELL!"

when it SHOULD SAY:

"THIS IS YOUR LAST TASTE OF HEAVEN BEFORE I SEND YOU TO HELL!"

Please tell me they fixed this. This has annoyed me for a very long time. :mozgus: I want a proper replacement in English. Sure, I have the Japanese Volume as well which makes it even worse when I compare the two side by side. This would give a new reader a very poor impression of Berserk as a whole. :puck: Not to mention the absolutely poor image quality, and the muddy colors on the cover...ugghhh just looking at it makes me depressed.

My copy of Dark Horse Volume 1 has the correct spelling:
"THIS IS YOUR LAST TASTE OF HEAVEN BEFORE I SEND YOU TO HELL!"

I bought my Volume 1 in 2005 so that seems to have been fixed for a while.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skull Knight said:
Has there been any re-releases or revisions to the Dark Horse volumes? If so, is there a list of which volumes were revised and what the revisions were? Also how to tell a re-release from an original in a store?
On the second page of the manga there is information about its publication. However, it doesn't tell you the individual volume's printing date, it DOES tell you the original printing date. Well, hey that's half the information we need to come to a conclusion on reprints. Better than nothing :guts:

Top Bottom