Frank Miller's 300

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Upon occasion there comes a film so great that acquiring it through the internet before it's released on DVD just becomes immoral. I'm payin $12 a ticket and waiting an extra day (cause it's sold out) because I'm sure it'll be that great.
I usually know a great movie when I see one, even before I see it. Hopefully there won't be too many piraters to keep it from being a big hit.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
sarahofborg said:
Upon occasion there comes a film so great that acquiring it through the internet before it's released on DVD just becomes immoral. I'm payin $12 a ticket and waiting an extra day (cause it's sold out) because I'm sure it'll be that great.
I usually know a great movie when I see one, even before I see it. Hopefully there won't be too many piraters to keep it from being a big hit.
Nothing is immoral on the internet! :carcus: Anyways, it will probably be some time before it gets out to over here :judo: That does make me a sad panda. I will make it a goal to watch it though!

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Now I love a great battle scene as much as anyone, and good writing, but what I'm honestly looking forward to more than anything are the heroic chiseled Spartans sweating blood in their loincoths.
Is that so wrong? Is it? *sigh*

Great review BTW.

So, this is slightly related and exciting for some (I think Aaz may dig it quite a bit, if I remember correctly):

See article here.

For those too lazy to check, to summarize, in the uncut 300 trailer, a test image of Rorshach is featured.

rorshach_badge_sm.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly Green said:
So, this is slightly related and exciting for some (I think Aaz may dig it quite a bit, if I remember correctly)

Haha well, I do like Watchmen a lot, like most stuff from Alan Moore, but I'm not a big fan of movie adaptations so I'm not overly enthusiastic. Still, that image looks nice, thanks. :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Went to see a midnight screening last night, it was a pretty good movie. The costume design of the Persians was very eye appealing, especially the "Immortals" and the grenade throwing guys. The Persian leader was pretty damn cool all well.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
handsome rakshas said:
Went to see a midnight screening last night, it was a pretty good movie. The costume design of the Persians was very eye appealing, especially the "Immortals" and the grenade throwing guys. The Persian leader was pretty damn cool all well.

Yeah, I'm seeing it tonight, can't wait. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :serpico:

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Sucks having to wait until tommorow. Maybe I'll see it in a regular theater before I see it tommorow in IMAX, and I'll get to watch it twice.
I posted this on another board but you guys might find it interesting. It's in response to the assholes who bitch about how the movie isn't historically accurate.

...anyhow...so I just finished watching the 2 hour documentary on the history channel about the battle of themopoli (sp?). I confess I didn't understand a good half hours worth, with all the complex politics. I did understand the insane magnitude of the significance of the events at the battle.
Essentially, if these 300 Spartan warriors were not as great as they were, and did not commit military suicide to save the lives of a major city, we wouldn't have democracy today. At all.
And really, in American society, we highly value democracy. It's not to say there arn't other heroes who have sacrificed themselves to attempt to save their nation. It just so happens that they were defending the great nation of Greece, and helped give birth to the nation. If the battle had been in defense of a barbaric, short-lived empire, it probably would have been a forgotten battle.
So like I said, it's all a matter of perspective. I don't think what they did was any less heroic. I appreciate they gave their lives for what they believed in, as many people throughout history have. The thing is, they didn't actually fail. They died, but they accomplished everything they sought out to do and more. The 300 men changed the fate of our civilization.

Yet, there are certain things that myth has forgotten, and I honestly understand why. For one, the entire army wasn't just 300 men. The 300 men led an army of 1-2000 people, yet they were against at least 10s of thousands of enemies. Some say millions, but there is no absolute record. In fact, the 300 men who died did so that the rest of the army could retreat and evacuate the city they were protecting. It was the best outcome they could have ever hoped for in a horribly hopeless battle.
But really, is this significant? Is a few hundred survivors in such a devastating battle really matter when compared to the fact that they saved an entire yet-to-be-born nation? I think it's almost a given, that this detail is naturally assumed when the story is more simplified.

Anyhow, I highly appreciate the mytholisizing of ancient battles. It's hard for the modern public to understand such a complex battle, and it's harder to appreciate when modern mitilary battles are so vastly removed from the ancient times. Modern warfare is so far removed from the ancient past, it's like trying to appreciate a battle between beasts instead of humans. The fact that we replace the strength of thousands of men with the symbol of a supernatural creature and force actually helps a modern person truely appreciate the significance of the past.

This has absolutely nothing at all to do with modern heroism. What the modern soldier does today, in comparison to the lives of the Spartans, is absolutely alien. Courage and strength come in many different forms and what's true for one soldier in one society is not always the same for another. To the Spartans, their lives were one great battlefield, and they were born to die for their beliefs. They were born to change history, for that express purpose alone. That is nothing short of amazing.

So don't tell me that a movie exagerating the enormity of the human spirit is slander to the real heroes. It's quite the opposite. Without this, history can and will be forgotten.

I saw it last night... it was okay I guess... better than I thought it would be... not as much screaming, as portrayed in the trailers, as fairly interesting dialogue... although, if they undid the slow motion the movie would have only been 45min long... i felt slower after leaving the theatre... it also had just enough nipple to be passable (female that is)... another unusual effect the film had on me was a desire to go to the gym, wear a tiny towel and wrestle the biggest guy i could find... of course, that feeling passed...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU

thanks uriel! :carcus:

Heheheh, my thanks as well. Speaking of which...

fivegallonsoffluff.png
This is what happens to "History" when it's filtered through television and movies; it turns into something one would be smarter for not swallowing.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
I'm sure Berserk has quite a few historical inaccuracies, despite pretending to be taking place in medevil times. I don't hear too many complaints that an arm-crossbow-prosthetic was not physically possible, and probably still isn't possible today.
As I've said 50 times by now, it's based on a fuckin comic book, not reality.

On a side note, I just stumbled upon this.

Maybe that version is accurate.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
sarahofborg said:
I'm sure Berserk has quite a few historical inaccuracies, despite pretending to be taking place in medevil times. I don't hear too many complaints that an arm-crossbow-prosthetic was not physically possible, and probably still isn't possible today.

Yeah, and I can't seem to find Midland or Tudor on any of my medieval maps. It's as if Berserk takes place in a wholly fictionalized fantasy World with a nebulous medieval background, and not in any type of true historical context. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
sarahofborg said:

The reality is nobody cares, nor was anyone ever discussing this.

Don't bring Berserk into your newfound historical accuracy tirade.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
CnC said:
thanks uriel! :carcus:

You're welcome, sir :badbone:

Harry Enfield and silly sarahofborg aside, 300 was an incredible experience. I would really love to write more, but it's pretty hard to collect my thoughts right now. It doesn't stimulate the mind so much, but it succeeds in stirring the soul. Excellent cinematography, incredible effects and a powerful audio set up. Oh, and a Goat-Headed chap in the center of an orgy. It might be worth it for that =)

Go see it, people. A rental would not do it justice :miura:

Just saw it. I don't know, it's a brilliant exercise in cinematography, and I haven't read the comic, so I couldn't get that same enjoyment of seeing something I valued in another medium brought to life. I mean, as an historian it drove me crazy, and there is no sensible plot, but if you're willing to shut your brain off and look at rather vivid action it's perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was capable of "stirring the soul"; essentially a by the numbers action flick, albeit well done.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
sarahofborg said:
*sigh* no one takes what I say seriuosly here

Hahaha, no offense but that's because you have a knack for saying bullshit. Berserk takes place in a fictional world like Griffith No More! nicely told you. How could one even think it's supposed to be historically accurate? It's a fantasy story. With monsters and magic in it, and a man who wields a giant sword. Oh and and that's "medieval" by the way, I can't seem to find any mention of "medevil" times in my history books.

Lastly, there actually were repeating crossbows made in China over 2000 years ago.

sarahofborg said:

Yeah, thanks for telling everybody what they've known for years, you know, ever since at least 50% of the people in this thread read the original comic book. That doesn't mean this movie can't be criticised.

WHERE ARE WE DINING TONIGHT!?

...I FORGOT WHERE WE WERE DINING TONIGHT.

No seriously, reservations?

Anyways, I read the actual GN and to be brutally honest, it was one of my least favorite Frank Miller works. However, from all the great Internet hype, I feel a little bit of "anticipation" to want to see the movie. Sadly, that depends when and if I can actually haul my ass to a theater after 500+ days of not being to one.

Top Bottom