Halo 3

I've never played the original Half Life. I'm anal about coming into a game/manga/series not knowing the whole story. Am I missing alot if I just picked up the Orange Box? Should I find Half Life for XBox and play it first?! Is Half Life even that good? Excuse my ignorance.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
I've never played the original Half Life. I'm anal about coming into a game/manga/series not knowing the whole story. Am I missing alot if I just picked up the Orange Box? Should I find Half Life for XBox and play it first?! Is Half Life even that good? Excuse my ignorance.

I forgive you.

Yes, pick up the Orange box, you wouldn't be missing much that wasn't already a mystery by not playing HL 1. You pretty much start HL2 not knowing wtf is going on, anyway.

----

Halo3 launch craziness is already starting. All the major retailers are doing something for it..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Am I missing alot if I just picked up the Orange Box? Should I find Half Life for XBox and play it first?! Is Half Life even that good? Excuse my ignorance.

If you're as anal retentive as you say then don't listen to CnC and play HL1. You ARE missing something and while it's now old, Half Life was a landmark in FPS. Seriously I think it's a pity you haven't played it already, it's not even a matter of understanding HL2's plot better, it's about culture.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
You can buy it cheap and used somewhere for the PS2, which is one of the games best ports. Or just download it through steam, and if your a completest like myself get Blue Shift, and Opposing force. There expansion side stories to the over all plot.

Anyways back on topic. CnC, I hope you got to see the new live action preview called "Museum" for the Halo fan its a pretty emotional trailer.

CnC

Ad Oculos
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24819.html

Yea I saw it. Its an interesting idea, but I think the execution of it was kinda meh. Production could have been better, imo.

Who else has the feeling Masta Cheef is gonna die?

Man, the flame-thrower in this piece looks lethal. You get hit, 2 seconds later, literally, your dead.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I don't see why not. Make him a Tragic Hero, even better.

Funny you should say that. The new ad just came out:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24859.html

...I like this one better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I like both ads personally, the museum one was interesting, at least it's not what you'd expect for a typical FPS.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I like both ads personally, the museum one was interesting, at least it's not what you'd expect for a typical FPS.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. I vastly prefer this style to the usual "in your face" action-type trailer.

Only reason they can do this though is 'cause pretty much everyone knows the brand (and they're guaranteed 2 million in sales the first day).

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm enjoying this vids :)

Halo has a lot to live up to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvanJYOGlus

...anything less and its a failure.

gallery_1_36773.jpg

Suit on sale on ebay. $21,000 :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Let me forward this post by saying I don't own an Xbox360, nor have I ever played any game in the Halo franchise. That aside, I still live on planet Earth and thus I know what Halo 3 is, and am aware there is a great deal of hype surrounding it. Now, onto an excerpt of a CNN article promoting it:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/24/halo3.launch.ap/index.html
"It's crazy, you see it everywhere," said Rich Douek, a 32-year-old graphic designer who lives in New York. He plans on buying "Halo 3" soon but won't be lining up for one of the Monday midnight madness events.

"At end of the day it's just a really good first-person shooter. I don't see it as breaking any molds or being any new revolutionary concept in gaming," he said. "It may turn out to be best first-person shooter ever, but it's not going to, like, change the world in a meaningful way."
What game could possibly change the world in a meaningful way? I mean, besides the ending sequence in Ocarina of Time? :guts: Seriously though, what perspective is this prick judging the game from? Mt. Olympus?

Anyway, the game's gotten really high scores so far. IGN gave it a 9.5/10 (same as Metroid Prime 3, btw), and the legendary Famitsu magazine in Japan gave it a 37/40. Pretty high marks for a game that apparently sticks to the backbone of the FPS genre.

Top Bottom