Indiana Jones 4

There's a bit of a controversy brewing over this trailer, more than what's been stated in this thread already:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35630

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hahaha, now THAT'S complaining. Excellent. :guts:

BTW, that's a pretty shitty situation all-around, I can't say I disagree with the guy.

CnC

Ad Oculos
ainitcool just needs to emanate a high pitch whine whenever you visit it. Premo-bitching. "trailer's a mess, that it's guys, movie's done"

Griffith No More! said:
versus things like flying backward into an oncoming truck and laughing it off like Spider-Man. I guess Indy was right, "It's not the years, it's the miles." Guess he's been resting well. Anyway, it was done in totally over the top fashion, not that the stunt was anymore over the top than previously, but the way they did it was. Where will you draw the line? If Indy picks up the truck and throws it? =)

And yeah, he's 60, I don't want him to act his age or anything, but he certainly shouldn't be stronger than before.

But that sort of thing is rampant throughout the first 3 movies. He's been jumping on or off moving vehicles for years, it seems. Is that sort of thing acceptable in one movie but not acceptable in another, irregardless of age?
If he were to lift the truck over his head, throw it at incoming Nazi's shouting, "INDY SMASH!" I could see where you could say he was breaking the Indiana Jones' laws of geriatrics.

Griffith No More! said:
Well, this whole thing is about nostalgia, the whole point of Indiana Jones was nostalgia for old serials to begin with, and they've even acknowledged the importance of consistency with that and the previous movies. I want them to make it look as real as possible, and that certainly doesn't mean tons of CGI heavy scenes. I don't mind CGI use, for what can't be done without it, and I hope they have the wisdom to use it to touch up and not just doing everything with CGI for the sake of it. Hey, the proof is in the pudding, if I can't tell, I can't complain.

Yup, lets all wait until the final product before we're quick to claim to the CG ruins it then.

Griffith No More! said:
I don't think Baldulf's complaints are baseless, though certainly negative, but I'd tell him to give it the benefit of the doubt because it still felt like Indy, and it's a trailer, it's supposed to exaggerate the over the the top and fun elements, that doesn't mean the film itself will also be missing the lighter touches of the earlier flicks.

Well thats pretty much what I've been saying... :puck:

Sorry, Baldulf, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just thought your critique didn't have much to stand on beyond opinion. And what happened in 1993 that made you hate Spielberg so?

[quote author=Aintitcoolnews guy]I have watched the shot that comes about a minute into the trailer over and over. [/quote]

I'd say that's his problem

Griffith

CnC said:
But that sort of thing is rampant throughout the first 3 movies. He's been jumping on or off moving vehicles for years, it seems. With that sort of thing acceptable in one movie is it not acceptable in another, irregardless of age?

There's a distinction, to me, between jumping on trucks and the impact of breaking through the steel frame of one (while being totally unaffected, really, I'm just asking for an "ouch" or a sign of pain). Wiley Coyote doesn't bounce back with a gag so fast. I don't even mind it so much, I can further suspend my disbelief, but don't doubt that it's a further suspension. I just hope it's the exception and not the norm for this one, and that an anvil doesn't also fall on his head or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekutXPstw

CnC said:
Well thats pretty much what I've been saying... :puck:

paulschulzelong.jpg
It's more like genocide. I mean... insisting. =)

CnC said:
And what happened in 1993 that made you hate Spielberg so?

He's antisemitic. :troll:

CnC said:
I'd say that's his problem

Yeah, I had no problem with the way it looked, even on the side by side. CGI like that I have no problem with, it's more upsetting to know the MPAA is fucking with Indy.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
There's a distinction, to me, between jumping on trucks and the impact of breaking through the steel frame of one (while being totally unaffected, really, I'm just asking for an "ouch" or a sign of pain). Wiley Coyote doesn't bounce back with a gag so fast. I don't even mind it so much, I can further suspend my disbelief, but don't doubt that it's a further suspension. I just hope it's the exception and not the norm for this one, and that an anvil doesn't also fall on his head or something.

I seem to recall him jumping onto a moving tank in the third one, and going through a fight on it. He seemed ok then, why not now?

Griffith No More! said:
It's more like genocide. I mean... insisting. =)

...yup... ...don't get it

Griffith No More! said:
He's antisemitic. :troll:

What? Spielberg became jewish in '93 or he became antisemitic in '93? :serpico:

Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, I had no problem with the way it looked, even on the side by side. CGI like that I have no problem with, it's more upsetting to know the MPAA is fucking with Indy.

Well hopefully the MPAA can inject some reality into this CG infested, laws-of-physics-devoid picture. :troll:

Griffith

CnC said:
I seem to recall him jumping onto a moving tank in the third one, and going through a fight on it. He seemed ok then, why not now?

Because it's not the same thing. Jumping on something, particularly a slow moving tank you're moving with, isn't the same as flying into it hard enough to go through it's hull, while being totally unphased, particularly when you're flying towards each other at high speed in opposite directions. I don't even understand where the bone of contention is on that. One is clearly more likely and believable than the other. It's the difference between someone being depicted as running into a brick wall, feeling pain from it, but being more or less okay, versus someone running through a brick wall without breaking stride. One a stuntmen can actually do, the other thing is a special effect. One is ridiculous, the other is impossibly ridiculous.

Again, I liked it too, I just hope it's not so frequent that he's basically superman. I mean, we've already established that his flesh is a stronger element than steel. =)

CnC said:
...yup... ...don't get it

Rambo (2008) reference. You got to see it if you like super human sixty year olds.

CnC said:
What? Spielberg became jewish in '93 or he became antisemitic in '93? :serpico:

Schindler's List. I know, it wouldn't have been as confusing if Spielberg wasn't Jewish anyway.

CnC said:
Well hopefully the MPAA can inject some reality into this CG infested, laws-of-physics-devoid picture. :troll:

Like Indy riding an ACME brand rocket. It's no different than jumping on a skateboard (well, for a 60 year old =)!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Because it's not the same thing. Jumping on something, particularly a slow moving tank you're moving with, isn't the same as flying into it hard enough to go through it's hull, while being totally unphased, particularly when you're flying towards each other at high speed in opposite directions. I don't even understand where the bone of contention is on that. One is clearly more likely and believable than the other. It's the difference between someone being depicted as running into a brick wall, feeling pain from it, but being more or less okay, versus someone running through a brick wall without breaking stride. One a stuntmen can actually do, the other thing is a special effect. One is ridiculous, the other is impossibly ridiculous.

Well apparently our threshold for believability in an Indiana Jones movie is at different levels. Rather than let this little physics dissection of a 3 second clip get to aintitcoolnews levels of scrutiny, I'll just agree to disagree.

Griffith

NO U!

I mean, I agree. :carcus: (<- does this work as our "smooth" emot, or in this case, mock smoothness?)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
It's quite reasonable to assume the CG isn't final, so that can't be a valid criticism at this point, can it? I'm not sure what you guys are expecting.

Is it reasonable? If they think it's good enough to be in the trailer that's supposed to bring people to the theater, why wouldn't they think it's good enough to be in the movie? It comes out in 3 months too, and they've got a lot to do besides finishing the CGs shown in the trailer. I don't know, but I sure HOPE they work on them some more. In any case I liked the trailer and it definitely raised my eagerness for the movie to come out, as previously stated.

Griffith

I don't think you were positive enough there, Aaz! :chomp:

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath on it changing either, but I won't mind it so long as it isn't blatantly distracting. I've watched the trailer a couple more times, and I like it even better now. I don't know what's lowering faster, my expectations or just my standards, but yeah, I can't help but chuckle along with the, "Damn, I thought that was closer" line every time. I can't say no to Indy. I feel sorry for that aintitcool guy though, there's no way he's liking this movie.

One question to tie all this discussion together though, and maybe I'm "not being fair" here, but is there any way the MPAA can have Shia Labeouf digitized out? =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
I don't think you were positive enough there, Aaz! :chomp:

Yeah, sorry, I guess I should have been furiously masturbating in the Indiana Jones plastic cup my dad got me in 1989 to reach acceptable Indy-love standards.

Griffith

Well hey, don't ruin it, I want the cup if you don't. :guts:

grailcase.jpg

Espcially if it's this one and not something from McDonald's. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Is it reasonable? If they think it's good enough to be in the trailer that's supposed to bring people to the theater,

It IS reasonable to assume the CG isn't done, I wasn't talking about the trailers intended effect on people in that quote. Trailers can be cut together long before final shots are done in effects houses. They can sometimes be farmed out to smaller production companies specializing in trailer creation months before the release date. Meanwhile effects houses can be working on a shot up until final print. So yea, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume it isn't done.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, sorry, I guess I should have been furiously masturbating in the Indiana Jones plastic cup my dad got me in 1989 to reach acceptable Indy-love standards.

Aw screw you, man :guts:. I'd rather not be the only guy defending the trailer but it seems that's the unpopular position 'round here. So screw this movie. It's gonna suck. I hate everyone involved in it and this trailer does nothing to dissuade me from joining the mob to burn Lucas' house down.
...There back on the winning team

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
It IS reasonable to assume the CG isn't done, etc.

I know about all that, but I'm not convinced they're going to rework on the scenes shown in the trailer. Like I said, I'll be the first one happy if they do.

CnC said:
Aw screw you, man :guts:. I'd rather not be the only guy defending the trailer but it seems that's the unpopular position 'round here.

But I liked the trailer, that's why I posted it in the first place! :guts: I'm up to go burn down Lucas' place though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
But I liked the trailer, that's why I posted it in the first place! :guts:

Why would you POSSIBLY like that steaming pile of shit of a movie? I heard they contracted out their effects to PIXAR!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Why would you POSSIBLY like that steaming pile of shit of a movie? I heard they contracted out their effects to PIXAR!

I heard Indy's going to the secret Roswell military base in this movie (as seen in the trailer!), a possible connexion to Wall-E? Geez man, won't they stop at anything to advertize their products?!

First let me say I'm really excited for this film. I'm optimisitc from what I've seen thus far. I'm not bashing it in the least.

However...

Lucas really scares me regarding this film because:

- The Star Wars prequels set the bar for ruining a legendary franchise
- Lucas basically told Ford and Spielberg the MacGuffin was the Crystal Skull or else no Indy 4
- The Crystal Skull seems to be bringing aliens and sci-fi into a series about mystical religious artifacts
- The horribly-off comedic timing of the Star Wars prequels has made an appearance (Indy in truck)
- Spielberg and Ford really loved Darabont's draft yet Lucas did not and forced a Koepp rewrite.
Hmm...Shawshank & Green Mile vs. "MI:3" and "War of the Worlds." (Ok, Spidey wasn't too shabby...)
- Lucas sure does love turning his action fare into family-friendly drivel in his old age, so I'm worried that
Indy might pass the torch to Shia "The Beef" at the end hinting at a new franchise called "The
Adventures of Mutt Williams." LOL!

I'm such a hardcore Indy fan that I even have the pinball machine at my home, so I'm really praying this one's going to be good. So far I like what I see.

Griffith

OmegaSeamaster said:
Lucas really scares me regarding this film because:

- The Star Wars prequels set the bar for ruining a legendary franchise
- Lucas basically told Ford and Spielberg the MacGuffin was the Crystal Skull or else no Indy 4
- The Crystal Skull seems to be bringing aliens and sci-fi into a series about mystical religious artifacts
- The horribly-off comedic timing of the Star Wars prequels has made an appearance (Indy in truck)
- Spielberg and Ford really loved Darabont's draft yet Lucas did not and forced a Koepp rewrite.
Hmm...Shawshank & Green Mile vs. "MI:3" and "War of the Worlds." (Ok, Spidey wasn't too shabby...)

*nods*

Though I hear Koepp was a compromise between Darabont and the script Lucas originally wanted to greenlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-DOCNbOSg

Wow. Do not fuck with Bone. "Sounds B-b-b-b-b-b-bad....to me."

Bone is such a mutil-layered character. Sure he's rough on the outside but he has a real human side to him as well.
Will he be reunited with his long lost love?

I hope Indy 4 is half as good as this 3 minute masterpiece.

Hey, long time no chat about Indy 4 folks! This contains a non-major potential spoiler or two, so stop reading now if you're sensitive about such things. It may or may not be true.

So here's what I've managed to find out about this latest Lucasfilm offering as of late, and it's not pretty.

For those of you that don't know, one of the Indy 4 scripts that was done was by Die Hard's Jeb Stuart and was called (no joke), "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars." The script was crap, and contained a scene where Indiana Jones stumbled upon a nuclear bomb testing site built by the army. The site was constructed to resemble an actual American town in order to study the effects of an atomic blast on structures, people, cars, etc.

While exploring the town, wailing sirens signal to Indy that a blast is about to occur. In order to save himself (and this is rediculous), Indy overturns a refrigerator into a crawlspace and hides inside it. It shelters him from the atomic blast, and after crawling out, he encounters men in rad-suits who are stunned to see him.

Now, I don't have any proof that this occurs in the new film. However, Hasbro has released screen shots of their upcoming "Indiana Jones Monopoly" set, and one of the Crystal Skull themed properties is "DOOM TOWN." When you look at the photograph on the game board, you can see what looks to be an artificial home interior, with a huge white refrigerator front and center! So apparently, this scene was spliced into the final "Skull" draft. Let's hope Indy 4 doesn't have him surviving a nuke blast in an icebox. That's just beyond lame, considering irradiation alone.

One more sign of Lucas going off the deep end? We'll just have to see. There were also screen shots of the community chest cards, one of which said, "It's not the mileage honey, it's the years."  :schierke: Fans were making jokes using this exact same line for years, and it makes it into the movie? Couldn't they come up with something more original for a laugh line? Egads.

God, this thing has Lucas' foul stink all over it. The man simply corrupts everything he touches post 1989.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
OmegaSeamaster said:
Hey, long time no chat about Indy 4 folks! This contains a non-major potential spoiler or two, so stop reading now if you're sensitive about such things. It may or may not be true.

Might wanna use spoiler tags. I haven't read anything, but others might.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've read the spoilers, because they were what I thought they were for the most part (
didn't know about the fan-favorite line, but I won't be surprised if they include it, and well, it's not the worst that could happen
).

As for the other, bigger, ridiculous part, it's been mentioned countless times on the Internet so far and while I made a joking reference to it earlier in the thread, personally I don't believe it. It's just too outrageous, even for Lucas (plus, Spielberg and Ford approved it). The actual footage I've seen doesn't seem to imply something that big, so at the moment I'm not too worried. If it turns out to be true, well then I'll be disappointed. Once more.

Top Bottom