Indiana Jones 4

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
When I was a kid I found Raiders almost unwatchable compared to Temple of Doom or Last Crusade because of lack of action. Temple of Doom was my favorite just based on the gross out dinner scene and the bug scene. As I grew older I started to appreciate Raiders more due to it being well written. That's why it's my second favorite Indy movie, second only to Last Crusade.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
handsome rakshas said:
When I was a kid I found Raiders almost unwatchable compared to Temple of Doom or Last Crusade because of lack of action.

Yeah, that was the factor where I could possibly understand where Uriel was coming from, kind of like Dr. No, it was a super action movie when it came out, but if you watch it now, you'd think there was barely any action at all. Worth noting though is that Raiders has two of the best action sequences ever in it, the opening and the truck chase.

Speaking of which, compared to 4, Raiders is like Casablanca, so nobody should be sure they're not going to be disappointed. Unless you're a big fan of the Star Wars prequels and modern Spielberg movies. =)

Some other minor issues with the flick that bugged me, so be warned. From the opening it rubbed me the wrong way, in that it didn't start with an unrelated adventure to reestablish Indy, the pacing was weird and awkward from there on out, including that of the action sequences and set pieces. Indy was too tough, he'd just start punching guys and out and doing things he never could. He was indestructible, whereas in the others he was kind of clumsy and got hurt, and would rather avoid getting his ass beat than jumping into a fight. It's like they were overcompensating. On the other hand, Indy sure was willing to acquiesce and help out the Russians whenever they asked, he used to be much more believably defiant with the Nazis. Also, as Proj pointed out, the dialogue and characterization ain't what it used to be, it's either stilted, cheesy and cliche, or awkwardly deliberate and purposeful, like a bad movie. On that note, everything about Marion's character, from her insertion and presence, is awkward, she's just tacked on (like that quicksand scene). Even the cinematography was off (the previous guy had retired).
Anyway, it is what it is, an Indiana Jones movie made 20 years removed from the others, a different kind of movie made by different people, even if the names are the same. It's an Indy movie, but it isn't.

the major major problem i have with this movie can be summed up in one word......
ALIENS!!!!!
What the hell i mean come on speilberg should have bitch slapped lucas and done the movie himself maybe then the ending wouldn't involve
ALIENS AND A UFO!!!!!

shadar logoth said:
the major major problem i have with this movie can be summed up in one word......
I guess You've never played "Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis" then.

However, I enjoyed the film (my expactations weren't too high though), but as GNM and others
mentioned before it's not a movie that will turn the Indiana Jones trilogy into a quadrilogy.

X

Xem

I'm on the other side of the playing field for this one I guess, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's almost as if you guys expect this movie to be realistic and serious, I mean c'mon! It's frickin' Indiana Jones! Swinging on vines and jumping from car to car (or car to motorcycle) shouldn't be surprising.

However, I did feel like Harrison Ford lost a bit of his wit in this movie, I was expecting waaaay more one-liners and silly facial gestures. That's my only real complaint. Go see it, it's worth the time and money.

Oh and,
the fight that broke out in the restaurant was probably my favorite part(go greasers!).
:guts:

Griffith

Deci said:
I'm on the other side of the playing field for this one I guess, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's almost as if you guys expect this movie to be realistic and serious, I mean c'mon! It's frickin' Indiana Jones! Swinging on vines and jumping from car to car (or car to motorcycle) shouldn't be surprising.

It wasn't about realism or anything like that so much as craft, of which I think the earlier films are clearly superior, but hey, I liked it, I couldn't help but enjoy the sensational spectacle of Indiana Jones on the big screen again, even if it wasn't done with the same gusto. Bottom line, I gave it a thumbs up, even if the movie really made me want to cut my thumbs off. =)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith No More! said:
It wasn't about realism or anything like that so much as craft, of which I think the earlier films are clearly superior, but hey, I liked it, I couldn't help but enjoy the sensational spectacle of Indiana Jones on the big screen again, even if it wasn't done with the same gusto. Bottom line, I gave it a thumbs up, even if the movie really made me want to cut my thumbs off. =)

Unfortunately, I never got the big screen experience with the previous ones, so this'll be my first. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, though. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Memorial Day.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Just finished Last Crusade for the first time...

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Much, much better than the first two combined. Really made me feel like my time was entirely validated. Let's go over it for one second here, because this actually felt like the definition for the quintessential action movie.

Cave chase, horse chase + car chase, train chase, boat chase, motorcycle + car chase, plane chase, car + plane chase, tank + horse chase, plus Earthquakes and trap doors and an old, blue English guy. That is what makes Raiders look mediocre. First 10 minutes of Raiders makes it a classic (and maybe the face meltage), and the last 10 minutes (aka bridge scene) of Temple made that one a classic.. but every minute of The Last Crusade was freaking legendary.

You think I've effectively set myself up for disappointment now?

Griffith

Uriel said:
Just finished Last Crusade for the first time...

:isidro:

Seriously, I couldn't be more shocked if you said, "Just had sex with my wife for the first time..." As a matter of fact, you officially hadn't until you saw Last Crusade! =)

Uriel said:
every minute of The Last Crusade was freaking legendary.

Yes.
Uriel said:
You think I've effectively set myself up for disappointment now?

And yes, but at least it isn't going to be 19 years, of fond childhood memories and anticipation, worth of it . =)

Communists mad over Indy IV:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080523/film_nm/russia_indianajones_dc

These guys might take themselves, and Indiana Jones, a little too seriously.

"What galls is how together with America we defeated Hitler, and how we sympathized when Bin Laden hit them. But they go ahead and scare kids with Communists. These people have no shame," said Viktor Perov, a Communist Party member in Russia's second city of St. Petersburg.

I feel personally terrible.

"Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett (are) second-rate actors, serving as the running dogs of the CIA. We need to deprive these people of the right of entering the country," said another party member, Andrei Gindos.

Yes, no wonder the plot was so suspect... it was a plot by the CIA! They'll show them they're not insane troublemakers though... by demanding they and the film be banned from the country!

"It's rubbish ... In 1957 the communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the U.S. Why should we agree to that sort of lie and let the West trick our youth?"

Uhh, yeah, that's what the Russian youth are sure to believe if they go see this movie. Geez, who would have thought modern day advocates of the Soviet Union would be out of touch with reality? =)

The funny thing is, I thought the Soviet villains were rather tame, they were more cartoony and fun than menacing or evil. Even Kate Blanchet's character, who was the real super commie, was never really that bad.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
After seeing it I think Lucas and/or Spielberg have delusions of grandeur. I didn't find it bad by any means, well, except for the special effects shots that there was zero reason to do. I just felt like the movie was made with the attitude: "Its good because I'm me and I can do no wrong."

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
I didn't find it bad by any means, well, except for the special effects shots that there was zero reason to do.

Yeah, that's what bugged me, there's a good ten minute chase scene in there that, if it isn't pure CGI, it's worse because it looks like pure CGI. I thought the point of CGI was to make these scenes look more real, not the other way around. It's the opposite of what you want, especially in an Indiana Jones movie, where part of the fun is supposed to be awesome stunts and practical effects you know you're really watching.

Majin Tenshi said:
I just felt like the movie was made with the attitude: "Its good because I'm me and I can do no wrong."

Yeah, that's sort of the vibe I get with Spielberg's recent action movies, like he doesn't take them seriously anymore and thinks he can go through the motions or do it by the numbers. It's sad, because it's almost a certain lack of pride in one's work. Anyway, I liked him better when he put as much effort into these movies as he did films like Munich, that's why they were so good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say one of Indy's first one-liners lingered like fouled pantaloons throughout the whole experience for me: "Damn, I thought I was closer,"
while in Area 51
. Something about the horrible delivery of this already bad line totally took me out of the movie, and that feeling of separation stayed with me. It's like Ford wasn't even trying. Im just nitpicking of course, since that's just one bad moment in a movie with a few great ones. But man, it hit where it hurt.

So did the entire opening sequence, really. I mean, really. Gophers, rockets and nuclear bombs? I half expected to see Bill Murray tearing through the desert with a garden hose, wearing a hazmat suit after the third fucking CGI critter. Ugh. Oh, and don't forget the monkeys! The alien involvement didn't really bother me at all. Sure, it's pretty out there. But so is a 1000 year old knight and ghosts and a lightning storm inhabiting the Ark. Just more spectacular nonsense/awesomeness for the Indy world. Speaking of which... what viewer DIDN'T pick up early on the fact that the aliens were the "gods" the Mayans had worshiped? The overly epic-sounding reveal when Indy raised the skull to the oblong-skull heiroglypics on the wall was really unnecessary...

I remember thinking about 30 minutes before the conclusion, it had been a fun ride, and it was for the most part. No outright bad action sequences to mention. I had about as much fun with Rundown, which was the last notable adventure movie I can think of. Watch it drunk, and you'll have a much better experience.

Griffith

I felt the same way you did about that line with a lot of the dialogue throughout the film.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Griffith No More! said:
Seriously, I couldn't be more shocked if you said, "Just had sex with my wife for the first time..." As a matter of fact, you officially hadn't until you saw Last Crusade! =)

The above is clearly explained by the below:

Griffith No More! said:
And yes, but at least it isn't going to be 19 years, of fond childhood memories and anticipation, worth of it . =)

You take this movie series way too seriously, my friend.

To give a little more detail, I've never watched the whole thing. I've only caught parts on TV and didn't want to spoil it for myself, so I held off..... for the most part of my life =)

Well, on Saturday, my wife and I, after having sex for the first time, went to see three movies. Iron Man, Chronicles of Narnia (which we stole our way into like good ex-Christians) and Indiana Jones 4. Of them all, Indie was the best. It had pretty much everything I expected and wanted, and it really delivered. The dialogue was lack-luster in places, but it was instantly remedied by the multiple tips of the hat to the old movies. The introduction that Wally describe also got my goat, but I forgave it. This is Indiana Jones, after all, where imaginations have to be thoroughly stretched.

Speaking of, I absolutely bought the
alien
thing. It worked well in the confines of the movie. If you can't get your head around it, yet accept that the Arc of the Covenant, the Holy Grail and whatever the hell was in Temple as passable centre pieces.. well, I have nothing that can help you other than my sympathies. I can easily overlook things like that... but I CANNOT overlook
ants
doing unnecessary and uncharacteristic things for no good reason. Ridiculousness. At least conveniently placed Crocodiles fucking ATE things they were supposed to eat. Last time I checked,
the ant diet didn't consist of Ivan or any other selection of evil-doer

All in all, it placed joint second with Raiders. I think it was the best movie of the day. Iron Man was fantastic, but the product placement irked me somewhat. Narnia was a good theatre movie, but I'm glad I didn't have to pay for that fucking sermon. We get it! Azlan = Jesus. Now get to the part where the Paganism prevails, damn it.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Apart from its being a bit Looney Tunes - I know they're always hard on Indy but he should've been dead a couple times (and weirdly enough seemed much less 'hurt' than when he'd get messed up in the older films) - I enjoyed this one just fine. And it was fun to meet the Baroness's mom. (Cause that was totally the Baroness's mom.)

if you had seen
stargate
, you could see where this movie was going straight away...
my friend tells me that there a few episodes of stargate that center around crystal skulls, the real treasure was knowledge and russians were the villians... :???:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. I knew what to expect going into a modern Spielberg/George Lucas effort, so it ended up being way better than I thought it would. :guts:

Griffith

Uriel said:
You take this movie series way too seriously, my friend.

I'LL KILL YA FOR IT!!! Seriously though, I don't really think so, I'm obviously exaggerating and joking above, but they are good movies, Academy Award worthy even as I've pointed out, and the ruination of the Star Wars trilogy has only given them a larger place in my heart (is everybody just taking those too seriously when they don't just sit back and enjoy the prequels?). Like I said, I'm pro on the new movie, it's not a Star Wars situation, and I actually want to go see it again, because part of the fun of these was rewatching them over and over, so perhaps that same familiarity will really put the fourth in it's proper place among the others in my mind (for better or worse, in any case it will probably always ironically be the
alien
of the series =). For now, I'm simply recognizing the difference in the movies then versus this movie now. I think there's a demonstrably higher level of craft in the earlier films, they were better, more serious in tone adventure movies, even for all their own comic relief and fantastical events. Just more well done, if not as technically impressive with the effects available today. Anyway, you offer a fresh perspective with new eyes, I appreciate that and I'm glad you didn't see that much of a difference or dropoff, it makes me hope this one will continue to grow on me as well. Then again, I really don't need to hear what Indy, or "Indie", is all about from someone that just watched it all yesterday either. =)

While I admired Harrison for still having his Indy magic, this movie was complete and utter toned-down dogshit from George "The Hack" Lucas.

None of the heroes killed anyone (no wait, Indy killed one guy), the entire middle of the movie played like a family sitcom in the jungle, and the ending was just utterly off the chart and flew in the face of the treasure-hunting genre.

I'll stick with the original three and ignore this like I do the prequel Star Wars films and Terminator 3, films that are shameless half-assed cash grabs.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Excuse this thread revival, but I think many would be interested in this.

Shia LaBeouf takes Spielberg and himself to task on Indy 4 sucking: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45112

On where the blame lies:
"You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven [Spielberg, who directed]. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple."

He's not alone in thinking Indy 4 missed the mark. Harrison Ford isn't happy either:
"We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

On what he thinks Spielberg's reaction is going to be when he hears about this frank discussion:

"I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."
What interested me most was the part I italicized. So, apparently Spielberg DOES know that Indy 4 sucked as well!

That makes me feel a little better inside... about ... the incident. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuwZ2cb4FwQ

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Excuse this thread revival, but I think many would be interested in this.

Shia LaBeouf takes Spielberg and himself to task on Indy 4 sucking: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45112
What interested me most was the part I italicized. So, apparently Spielberg DOES know that Indy 4 sucked as well!

That makes me feel a little better inside... about ... the incident. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuwZ2cb4FwQ

Good to know some of the people involved are aware of the problem (or a part of it at the very least). But man, that video... Lucas' face at the end...

Top Bottom