Indiana Jones 4

George Lucas says his new 'Indiana Jones' is 'just a movie'
Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

To hear him talk, you'd think George Lucas would have preferred to call his movie Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Don't Get Your Hopes Up.

Lucas, who co-wrote and produced the May 22 film, can sound downright sullen when it comes to his expectations of fan reaction to the year's most highly anticipated movie.

"When you do a movie like this, a sequel that's very, very anticipated, people anticipate ultimately that it's going to be the Second Coming," Lucas says. "And it's not. It's just a movie. Just like the other movies. You probably have fond memories of the other movies. But if you went back and looked at them, they might not hold up the same way your memory holds up."

The remarks appear to be part of a larger strategy to build interest yet temper expectations for the fourth installment of the Indiana Jones franchise. Only one trailer is playing, and when director Steven Spielberg shows up for talk shows, he doesn't bring footage.

Lucas says he learned his lesson about unrealistic expectations when he revived the Star Wars franchise in 1999. "When people approach the new (Indiana Jones), much like they did with Phantom Menace, they have a tendency to be a little harder on it," he says. "You're not going to get a lot of accolades doing a movie like this. All you can do is lose."

Except when it comes to money. Analysts expect it to rake in well more than double its reported budget of $125 million. But Lucas says that doesn't hold much sway for him, Spielberg and Harrison Ford.

"We came back to do (Indy) because we wanted to have fun," he says. "It's not going to make much money for us in the end. We all have some money. … It would make a lot of money if you weren't rich. But we're not doing it for the money."

It's fan and critic reaction for which the team is bracing, but Lucas says he has quit trying to appeal to everyone. "It was really a blast" to make. "And it turned out fantastic. … I like to watch it."

Lucas concedes that it will be impossible to water down expectations, even among fellow filmmakers.

The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan met Lucas at the ShoWest convention this month and says he's impatient to see the competition. "Come on, he's George Lucas," Nolan says. "I felt like I should have kissed the ring."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
He's right about people looking at their memories with pink-colored glasses and having expectations that are quasi-impossible to meet. However, the new Star Wars trilogy sucks, and even if you watch the old one just before or just after, it still sucks and the original 3 movies are still awesome. Try again, George. Same with money: because they're already rich doesn't mean they don't crave for more.

It's just a movie. Just like the other movies. You probably have fond memories of the other movies. But if you went back and looked at them, they might not hold up the same way your memory holds up."

Oh my! That's probably one of the dumbest things I have heard lately.Lucas is simply insulting our cinematographic criteria "Hey! It's not (going to be) a bad movie,it's just that you have idealized the old ones"

Yeah,right.Pull the other one,it's got bells on it.

Baldulf said:
Lucas is simply insulting our cinematographic criteria "Hey! It's not (going to be) a bad movie,it's just that you have idealized the old ones"

While I'm not entirely defending Lucas' statements and/or credibility, it's not like he doesn't have a point there. Nostalgia can add doses of enjoyment to things one normally wouldn't think twice about. Of course, this doesn't mean the past Indy films weren't good or enjoyable in their own right, or that this one will or will not be good of its own merit, just that fond memories can sway the tide in any direction. It's just like Aaz said, fond memories can give one expectations for future films that are impossible to meet. Lucas is just trying to quell these before they get out of hand.

And I didn't really think he was "insulting our cinematographic criteria." Whatever that means.

What I meant is that old Indy films are "objectively" good,everybody agrees on that.Of course nostalgia plays his role,but that doesn't decrease the value of true classics.

I know when I like something just because it was from the old good days,and this is not the case.

While could be argueable if classic Star Wars films are really as good as many want to believe I don't think Raiders movies are the same case,they are the most perfect exercises of an adventure movie.

But I guess everybody knows this,therefore the insult.

Connery should have at lest done a cameo in the movie even if this new Indiana movie ends up not being great having this be the last movie your in would be a hell of a lot better than league of extraordinary gentleman.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Just picked up my ticket, and got a pass for a free popcorn, score! I was leaning towards going tomorrow morning to avoid huge obnoxious lines in the middle of the night and guys dressed in fedoras, but then I thought, "Maybe part of the reason my recent movie-going experiences have been underwhelming is that I'm missing the true experience of the event and the kinetic energy of the crowd." So, I'm giving Indy his best shot to thrill me, I'm all in, see ya at midnight, rakshas! :badbone:

Hmmmm, maybe I should wear my fedora... :troll:

I was hoping for something decent. I bought the premise, I really did.
The whole area 51 conspiracy.
It's all downhill from here.
What a heap this was, IMHO.

Spoilers ahead:

Indy surviving a nuclear explosion by hiding in a fridge? Which then in turn gets rocketed miles away from the blast!
The Shia LeBouf TARZAN scene...really?
Monkeys fighting commies.
Same stuffy, forced dialogue that spoiled the Star Wars prequels
The snake/sandpit bit...rubber much?

What a supreme let down. I'm almost positive most of you guys will agree with me.

I'm convinced Spielberg called his friend and was like, "Hey George wanna drop some acid with me and make a movie?"

Griffith

It was definitely the 4th best Indiana Jones... but fuck it, it was Indiana Jones! I'm going with a positive outlook for a change. Proj was right on the money, and I still don't even think he conveyed how flawed and awkward it was, I didn't like a lot of it while I watched it, I was too aware of how lacking and subpar things were compared to the others, but I was happy when it was over (read into that whatever you want =) and I stayed for the credits, listened to the theme, and hummed it on the way home, another adventure in the books, and God they didn't hold anything back (yet I was still underwhelmed but how they did things), but fuck it, I'm going to be happy! Happy, I say!! HAPPY GOD DAMN IT TO HELL HAPPY I ENJOYED MYSELF!!!

Even if they seemingly did do just about everything they could to alienate and put out faithful fans and cynics alike, maybe I just don't want to think about it all or write it down, like the scene out of Hook 2, all the CGI including some awful scenes and the alien, ALIEN!?, looked terrible at the end and, and just the insane over the top wackiness of it all. It's like Spielberg and Lucas got their movies crossed, I wouldn't have been surprised by a lightsaber battle, yet all this untraditional irreverence was side by side with nostalgic pandering. I mean Jesus, they really went so far into left field I lost my bearings, like I was shell-shocked after the opening; Indy could have literally jumped a shark in the first scene and that would have been toned down. After that I'd just accept anything, and yet I couldn't help but smile. I left happy, but possibly lobotomized. Let me sum up, it literally begins with a CGI shot, and ends with a wedding. =)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I kinda took the same attitude Grif did and forced myself to be open minded going into the movie because I knew I was going to pick it apart. I have to third Proj and Grif's comments about the film, as they are common complaints. Overall I enjoyed it, and recommend fans definitely check it out. Also we got the new Batman and Wall-E trailers.
WARNING, I talk about specific scenes in the movie here, please don't look if you haven't enjoyed it for yourself yet!
I just want to start off and say that I enjoyed Stargate 2 Indy 4 overall. Not because it was a great movie or anything, just because it was awesome to see Indy back in action. The opening scene in the warehouse was neat (complete with ark cameo!) and the nuclear test scene I really enjoyed. It was hilarious to see Indy sneaking around in a 50's suburban setting rather than a cave or jungle. And I thought Indy hiding in the fridge was good too, but things went downhill from there. The motorcycle chase was fun to watch and Marcus's severed head crashing through the car window was hilarious. What really bugs me about the movie is the whole aliens plot was boring to me. Chasing sacred stones or religious artifacts held my attention more than trying to find an alien's head, it was just strange to me. And the whole "family" aspect was also strange, not to mention the vine swinging scene was fucking ridiculous. The father/son dynamic in Last Crusade was a trillion times better than in this movie. I LOVED the scene at the end where Indy snatched his hat back from Mutt or whatever his name was.

The bottom line is nothing we liked as children is awesome anymore.
I recommend people go see it, I enjoyed it. I won't be rushing out to get the dvd when it comes out that's for sure! Also I am disappointed there were no Nazis.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Rewatching all of them in preparation for this weekend.

Gotta say... I don't think I can walk away disappointed from this new movie as I realised yesterday that Raiders was actually... kinda mediocre. Flame on all you want, but I'm just saying that it'll be harder for me to see it as a butchering when the sow was semi-lame to begin with. I'm having a lot of fun with them, though -- they're just not incredible works of art of anything. This might all change when I watch Last Crusade, though.. I do enjoy that one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Gotta say... I don't think I can walk away disappointed from this new movie as I realised yesterday that Raiders was actually... kinda mediocre.

Really? The first 10 minutes of that movie are the best part of the whole series to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I watched all three this week to get hyped on the release. After all that, I think Last Crusade is my favorite. It's mostly the chemistry between Connery and Ford that sells that movie, for me. Raiders is easily the "best." I just had more fun with Crusade :serpico:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Really? The first 10 minutes of that movie are the best part of the whole series to me.

Well, that part was great, no doubt about it. It's what added the "kinda" to my "mediocre" statement :Þ

Griffith

*cough*faggot*cough*

Seriously though, Raiders was a pretty fucking revolutionary movie in it's time, so much so that it was actually nominated for best picture. I'd like to hear what's so mediocre about it, to be fair? It's not an art house film, but that's not how you should judge it, the writing, acting, directing, and everything else was all top notch in the action/adventure genre. I can kind of understand where you might be coming from, certain aspects of it's pacing and climax being dated compared to later standards (I won't say today's standards, since nobody can make a good action movie anymore), but in many ways it set those standards, and this sounds like a case of hindsight being blind.

Here, here's one that isn't so "lame":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-DOCNbOSg

Top Bottom