Indiana Jones 4

hr_Indiana_Jones_poster.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's certainly not a very revealing poster. Most Indy posters showed little highlights of the dominant action in the background (hey, Miura does it too :guts: ). But this is just Indy and the SKULL KING. I suppose it's reminicent of this teaser poster from Temple of Doom: http://www.answers.com/topic/indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom-postera-jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Holy smokes! That trailer really captures the spirit of the old movies very nicely! I can't think of a series I watched more when I was a kid than Indiana Jones. You bet your ass I'll be at the midnight showing on May 22nd. Thanks for the trailers my friends!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It certainly had that old feel to it, but in some other ways... a little too forced and self-aware, but it's a trailer, so of course it's self-aware.
And I don't remember so much obvious CGI in the old ones. :judo:

Anyway, certainly a case where I hope the trailer isn't doing to movie justice. I'm sure the film itself isn't only going to be one-liners and impossible feats, like that ridiculous truck stunt (did drinking from the Holy Grail give him super strength or something, because even Indy in his prime wouldn't have walked away from that BS, let alone making a joke while punching two guys out of the truck =).

I think the movie looks great.

The only two things I really didn't care for was the questionable delivery of Indy's one-liner in the truck and the laughable CGI when the two vehicles were racing along the edge of that cliff in the jungle.

I blame both on George Lucas, just because I've come to loathe anything he's put his name to after 1989.

CnC

Ad Oculos
OmegaSeamaster said:
The only two things I really didn't care for was the questionable delivery of Indy's one-liner in the truck

Aw cummon you stick-in-the-muds, I LIKED that. I'm just as skeptical going in but I concede that everything released so far has been good, imo.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
I blame both on George Lucas, just because I've come to loathe anything he's put his name to after 1989.

Haha, you're a good man. I also blame everything I don't like in the trailer on Lucas. :ganishka:

Griffith

I'll complete the trifecta, not only do I blame anything bad on Lucas, but I think we're completely right in doing so from a factual standpoint. He's the one that dumped Frank Darabont and brought in his personal hack one-liner writer to redo the script, while pushing already dated looking ILM CGI on the production at every opportunity.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
I'll complete the trifecta, not only do I blame anything bad on Lucas, but I think we're completely right in doing so from a factual standpoint. He's the one that dumped Frank Darabont and brought in his personal hack one-liner writer to redo the script, while pushing already dated looking ILM CGI on the production at every opportunity.

Are you guys just being fecitious now? I can understand an apprehension to the idea of this movie while it was being conceived and a distaste for Luca's recent works but I'm not really seeing a reason for all the ill will in this trailer.

I genuinely laughed when "Damn, I thought that was closer" was said. Indiana Jones as a franchise has always had that sort of that outlandish, pulp action feel to it, as well as quick spots of humor (omg ders no way he can survive crashing through the truck window and punch two guys! PHYSICS). So far it looks to be on track for that. It's quite reasonable to assume the CG isn't final, so that can't be a valid criticism at this point, can it? I'm not sure what you guys are expecting.

Griffith

CnC said:
Are you guys just being fecitious now? I can understand an apprehension to the idea of this movie while it was being conceived and a distaste for Luca's recent works but I'm not really seeing a reason for all the ill will in this trailer.

Hey, that's alright, I liked the Star Wars prequel trailers at first too. How'd that work out? =)

CnC said:
I genuinely laughed when "Damn, I thought that was closer" was said. Indiana Jones as a franchise has always had that sort of that outlandish, pulp action feel to it, as well as quick spots of humor (omg ders no way he can survive crashing through the truck window and punch two guys! PHYSICS). So far it looks to be on track for that.

Oh, I enjoyed it, I just hope they don't go too far, otherwise it's on track to be a parody of itself. Remember in Naked Gun when Leslie Nielson did backflips through his apartment? I just don't want to see 60-something Indy in the same way. I remember Indy doing incredible stunts but feeling it when he got hit, not crashing back-first through steel like it was tin foil, then cracking a joke rather than his spine. I mean, are you looking forward to the scene where he falls off a cliff on to his head and immediately goes, "Gee, this is more a pain in the neck than I remember!" omg ders indeed.

CnC said:
It's quite reasonable to assume the CG isn't final, so that can't be a valid criticism at this point, can it? I'm not sure what you guys are expecting.

Practical effects. For Indy's sake, I'll take a good old matte painting please, not some animation on loan from Pixar.

Anyway, to clear things up, I liked it too, and I don't even think we're criticizing it to the same degree you're defending it, I just saw some potential red flags that'll hopefully turn out to be nothing.

it's on track to be a parody of itself

Yes,that's exactly what I though.

The parody of adventure movies/comics/novels is turning to be a parody of the classic "Raiders" movies.

We have a Spielberg not in his best time (not in his best time since 1993),we have a Lucas whom I worshipped once and I loathe now,we have a very old Ford and too many and obvious CGs.

And on top of that we have blatant reminiscences to the old movies,like in the Star Wars precuels.

I mean,what could go wrong? (sigh)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Hey, that's alright, I liked the Star Wars prequel trailers at first too.

I doubt that. Especially after Phantom Menace.

Griffith No More! said:
Oh, I enjoyed it, I just hope they don't go too far,

I agree, but I suggest you go back and look at some of the stunts pulled in the first 3 movies. He's been crashing through windows, swinging all over the place and punching scores of people without so much as a sprain to show for it. Is all of that negated now that Indy's older? I seem to recall Connery taking some hits too. Pulling off acrobatics in a world where a gold box melts the faces of nazis (but not if you don't look at it) or a guy can rip your heart out over a bottomless pit of fire just doesn't sit right with you anymore?
Again, I think you guys need to reset your expectations a little.

Griffith No More! said:
Practical effects. For Indy's sake, I'll take a good old matte painting please, not some animation on loan from Pixar.

Well again, the effects in the trailer are probably not final (actually I'd bet money on that). But again, so what? If what you want is a remake of the old movie in terms of effects, have you watched some of the effects from the old movies? Sorry, the shot of Indy and gang being comped onto a smaller model of water flooding out of the cave in Temple of Doom is fuckin' awful. I don't see where you can hold some of the old effects in such high regard beyond nostalgia.

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, to clear things up, I liked it too, but I also saw some potential red flags that'll hopefully turn out to be nothing.

I'm going from a standpoint where I started out really negative on the idea but regard everything that's been released so far to be a step in the right direction. I don't see what's being called a red flag as that irregular in context with the rest of series.

I'll point to Baldulf's post as an example of rather baseless negativity.

Baldulf said:
We have a Spielberg not in his best time (not in his best time since 1993)
I dunno about that. I thought Munich was exellent and on par with his best stuff.

And I liked the trailer quite a bit. I wasn't bothered by any of the CGI, really. I wasn't really paying any attention to that stuff to begin with. It just felt great to watch the trailer and listen to that good ol' theme music once again.

I'll point to Baldulf's post as an example of rather baseless negativity

Hey! That hurt my feelings.

I just didn't like anything I saw on the trailer.It's not like I wouldn't admit that the movie is going in the right way if I though that.

And I wouldn't call recent Lucasfilm movies "baseless negativity".But I would allow you to call me a cynic.

Griffith

CnC said:
I doubt that. Especially after Phantom Menace.

Point taken. =)

CnC said:
I agree, but I suggest you go back and look at some of the stunts pulled in the first 3 movies.

Please, I don't need to look at them, they're ingrained in my memory!

CnC said:
He's been crashing through windows, swinging all over the place and punching scores of people without so much as a sprain to show for it. Is all of that negated now that Indy's older? I seem to recall Connery taking some hits too. Pulling off acrobatics in a world where a gold box melts the faces of nazis (but not if you don't look at it) or a guy can rip your heart out over a bottomless pit of fire just doesn't sit right with you anymore?
Again, I think you guys need to reset your expectations a little.

It's not so much what happens as how, especially where the supernatural is concerned, versus things like flying backward into an oncoming truck and laughing it off like Spider-Man. I guess Indy was right, "It's not the years, it's the miles." Guess he's been resting well. Anyway, it was done in totally over the top fashion, not that the stunt was anymore over the top than previously, but the way they did it was. Where will you draw the line? If Indy picks up the truck and throws it? =)

And yeah, he's 60, I don't want him to act his age or anything, but he certainly shouldn't be stronger than before.

CnC said:
Well again, the effects in the trailer are probably not final (actually I'd bet money on that). But again, so what?

Well, I'm not going to make excuses for them. I just shouldn't be reminded of the final chase from Toy Story, that's all.

CnC said:
If what you want is a remake of the old movie in terms of effects, have you watched some of the effects from the old movies? Sorry, the shot of Indy and gang being comped onto a smaller model of water flooding out of the cave in Temple of Doom is fuckin' awful. I don't see where you can hold some of the old effects in such high regard beyond nostalgia.

Well, this whole thing is about nostalgia, the whole point of Indiana Jones was nostalgia for old serials to begin with, and they've even acknowledged the importance of consistency with that and the previous movies. I want them to make it look as real as possible, and that certainly doesn't mean tons of CGI heavy scenes. I don't mind CGI use, for what can't be done without it, and I hope they have the wisdom to use it to touch up and not just doing everything with CGI for the sake of it. Hey, the proof is in the pudding, if I can't tell, I can't complain.

CnC said:
I'm going from a standpoint where I started out really negative on the idea but regard everything that's been released so far to be a step in the right direction. I don't see what's being called a red flag as that irregular in context with the rest of series.

I'll point to Baldulf's post as an example of rather baseless negativity.

Well, I started out cautiously optimistic, and the trailer hasn't done anything to change that, so that's a good thing. I don't think Baldulf's complaints are baseless, though certainly negative, but I'd tell him to give it the benefit of the doubt because it still felt like Indy, and it's a trailer, it's supposed to exaggerate the over the the top and fun elements, that doesn't mean the film itself will also be missing the lighter touches of the earlier flicks.

The Perineum Falcon said:
I dunno about that. I thought Munich was exellent and on par with his best stuff.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, that Indy 4 is like Munich. :guts:

The Perineum Falcon said:
And I liked the trailer quite a bit. I wasn't bothered by any of the CGI, really. I wasn't really paying any attention to that stuff to begin with. It just felt great to watch the trailer and listen to that good ol' theme music once again.

That's basically how I felt, but God forbid, we're not allowed to not absolutely LOVE everything about it! :troll:

Top Bottom