Mass Effect 2

I hope there is a bit more freedom in ME2, I was disappointed you could not fly and land your own ship in the first game. Any of you remember the old ELITE games? Man those games were amazing back then, maybe we might get lucky and have some more options on the ship. Oh well it's probably too much to ask for.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
asic said:
I hope there is a bit more freedom in ME2, I was disappointed you could not fly and land your own ship in the first game. Any of you remember the old ELITE games? Man those games were amazing back then, maybe we might get lucky and have some more options on the ship. Oh well it's probably too much to ask for.
I'm personally glad they didn't make me drive my own ship. I'm COMMANDER Shepard, not some pilot lackey. :guts:

What did somewhat piss me off is that I can't land on my own planet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I'm personally glad they didn't make me drive my own ship. I'm COMMANDER Shepard, not some pilot lackey. :guts:

What did somewhat piss me off is that I can't land on my own planet.

Yeah honestly I'm not interested in flying the ship either. It's just not what the game is about, and it wouldn't be particularly realistic either. I was fine with the Mako, though I hope they'll enhance the experience with it in ME2.

I loved Mass Effect. Lifting enemies in the air and blasting them with enough shotgun shells to kill them before they even have a chance to fall never gets old. I was a little confused about the equipment system at first, but I found out that it was fairly easy to use. The dialogue was amazing; I could listen to characters go off on tangents about anything for hours. All members of your squad had fascinating stories. There's a lot of other things I could list.

But being a Paragon or Renegade made little difference in how the game progressed. No matter how you chose to resolve any conflict, your main quest always had the same levels. It would have been more interesting if the game had the game actually branched out in different directions depending on your decisions.
The ending was also a disappointment. It felt something like: Shephard you're a [Paragon | Renegade]. Your decision to [sacrifice | save] the council represents just the kind of approach we need...
Dragging the Mako, which handles like crap, up steep, rocky mountains and trying to maneuver it away from geth attacks while in a narrow corridor was not much fun. I understand that most of space is uncharted, but it would have been nice to have some fully fleshed out colonies that were not a part of the main quest (especially Earth). I hope Mass Effect 2 addresses these issues.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
seppuku said:
I understand that most of space is uncharted, but it would have been nice to have some fully fleshed out colonies that were not a part of the main quest (especially Earth). I hope Mass Effect 2 addresses these issues.
BioWare has already said ME2 would have more in-depth side missions. I'm glad, because those side missions are what initially turned me off to the game.

from: http://kotaku.com/366718/mass-effect-2s-side+quests-wont-be-so-sucky
[quote author=BioWare's General Manager Greg Zeschuk]Side quests can sometimes be left on the side, so to speak. Pardon the pun. But a lot of times it's even just getting that whole game done, that first shot [that is important]. We look at "Mass Effect 2" as incredibly exciting. Just the amount of effort and knowledge and know-how that went into building the technology for the first one is huge, and [we now have] the chance to actually make things a little bit richer.[/quote]
Extrapolating from PR-speak, he acknowledges that developing first game's side content was shelved so they could do the ground work for the series. Now, with the ground work done, they can develop the content more.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea some of the side quests were just boring and pointless, but some were very interesting. And I thought the Mako was very fun to drive. I mean its almost impossible to flip it over so just driving over mountain ranges and exploring planets was fun, i'd do it for hours. I just hope that in ME2 you can actually upgrade the thing. Better guns, upgrading speed and handling and maybe just getting new vehicles all together. I agree about having more open colonies on planets. Maybe even being able to visit some of the alien homeworlds would be awesome.
I chose to do the game going paragon first time around, i thought maybe it would effect the ending but I guess according to what I'm hearing here it makes no difference. My paragon meter is maxed out and I'm not even finished with the game yet, and I have no renegade points either. It would be nice if I was rewarded for doing the right thing all the time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I played Paragon my first time through as well, but I've found Renegade is actually more fun to me. It's entertaining. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I went both Paragon and Renegade on my first playthrough. My goal was originally to be Renegade with a little Paragon in me but it ended up being the other way around and I got the Paragon achievement first. Still, I was around 3/4 Paragon and 2/3 Renegade respectively. Walking the line, just like in real life! Not too bad I think. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
They were discussing ME2 today on x-play after they showed a lists of the worst video game sequels of all time. However they spoke of ME2 as the way to make a sequel right based on the demos they saw at E3. They pretty much brought up some of the points already made here, about the menu system being lacking and conversations being more physical and interactive rather than just two people standing in front of each other talking. It seems ME2 may end being one of the biggest and most anticipated sequels ever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
They were discussing ME2 today on x-play after they showed a lists of the worst video game sequels of all time. However they spoke of ME2 as the way to make a sequel right based on the demos they saw at E3. They pretty much brought up some of the points already made here, about the menu system being lacking and conversations being more physical and interactive rather than just two people standing in front of each other talking. It seems ME2 may end being one of the biggest and most anticipated sequels ever.
The guy that does X-Play, Adam Sessler, is a huge ME nerd from what I've heard. Good to have him on our side :slan:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
This is one of the only threads I've followed, where I've never actually played the game. I have to say, you gents inspired me to buy this game. Good job.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
This is one of the only threads I've followed, where I've never actually played the game. I have to say, you gents inspired me to buy this game. Good job.
If you have a halfway decent computer, you can get it for just $20 on Steam.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So I've been thinking for a couple of months about what might transition to ME2 from the first game and what might not. One thing I'm really wondering about is level and abilities. A lot of people seem to expect their previous character to appear in the new game at level 50+ with his old equipment and his abilities already raised up. But I think that poses a problem when you bring in the new weapons and abilities they're sure to include in the new game. They'll either have to create new classes, or to add to existing ones. And I'm wondering if that might not require to re-do classes to avoid people from missing out. Same thing goes for points put in the Paragon, Renegade or even Spectre skills. Those can hardly stay as they were in ME1. With that in mind, what do you guys think? Will ability points be rebooted? Will levels be?

The processor/RAM requirements aren't high for Mass Effect, but the graphics card requirement is. They want a 512MB graphics card, the same you would need to run Bioshock smoothly. A middle to low end computer could meet all other videogame system requirements by a wide margin, but it's not the manufacturers would never let you put a high-powered graphics card in there. They save that capacity for their much more expensive computers that have far more features than you actually need. You could use the money you'd need to shell out for a computer that can run fairly modern games and just buy an (okay computer)*, a 360 with the game itself, and still have money left over.

*one that can run Half-Life 2 at top speed

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Yeah, but I don't really have the money to get the parts I want for a new computer, I'm just going to stick with my 360.

Just buy the X360 version then and let this digression be over with.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Just buy the X360 version then and let this digression be over with.

I just bought the game, 30 minutes before my last post. :griff:

Edit: at the title screen.

Edit: Edit: This game plays out like a movie and I'm a rugged military man. Like in real life!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I just bought the game, 30 minutes before my last post. :griff:

Edit: at the title screen.

Edit: Edit: This game plays out like a movie and I'm a rugged military man. Like in real life!
And I'm a slightly mexican looking chick with black lipstick... in the game. :schnoz:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5311555/lots-of-new-mass-effect-2-footage

New developer diary with new footage in the background. I'm not watching it since it contains spoilers, but if you guys don't mind it, well go ahead. However please don't post spoilers in this thread. Thanks.

On an unrelated note, what ME1 save(s) are you keeping ready for ME2?

Here's mine:

Male Shepard
Background: Spacer and Ruthless
Alignement: Maxed out Paragon with about 2 gauges of Renegade filled
Class: Vanguard
Class specialization: Shock Trooper
Difficulty: Hardcore
Level 59 (something like 2000 XP away from 60, a bit frustrating)

Romance: Liara
Usual team mates: Liara & Tali

All sidequests done, including the DLC
I freed the Rachni queen
I gave Tali the Geth info for her Pilgrimage
Got Wrex his armor and helped Garrus kill Dr. Saleon
Saved Wrex, sacrificed Ashley on Virmire
I gave the Shadow Broker information about Cerberus
I got Charn to live on X57, and I let Balak escape in order to save the hostages
I let Anderson punch Udina
Convinced Saren to end his life
I saved the Council, recommended Anderson to join them

(Those are the likeliest choices to play any role in ME2 that I can think of at the moment, don't hesitate to suggest more.)

Talents:

Pistols:Rank 12
Shotguns:Rank 08
Assault Training:Rank 05
Tactical Armor:Rank 08
Throw:Rank 08
Lift:Rank 07
Warp:Rank 06
Barrier:Rank 12
Shock Trooper:Rank 09
Charm:Rank 12
Intimidate:Rank 12
Spectre Training:Rank 12

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
So far really good. I love this game, only complaint are the side missions lacking so much. What I really want to see is more Tali and with out a doubt more Wrex. I cant' get enough of this guy. He is always in my party when ever I need someone that or excellent back up. If it's at all possible I want there to be a romantic sup plot with Wrex and Shepard. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great list, Aaz. I plan on making a post similar to yours with my main Shepard when I get home tonight. However, I should note that mine is not NEARLY as complete yours. :isidro:

Also, I finally solved my ME issues on my PC. It had been crashing without fail for a few weeks. But, it's all good now. So, I can continue to build my second play through (there's gotta be a better word for it...). My second Shepard is a soldier, specializing in Shock Trooper. I've missed this game. :sad:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
So far really good. I love this game, only complaint are the side missions lacking so much.
Yeah, my advice if it's your first time through is just to do the main missions, and maybe a few of the more fun side ones (Armstrong Nebula for massive Geth genocide). It's a more focused experience. And you can always do those side missions later. Just be sure to keep multiple saves.

Top Bottom