Movies to look forward to

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's where my vote goes, for something strange and truly, well... alien. It would be awesome if he could actually give it a similar atmosphere and feel to the first, but that's high expectations, I'm really just curious to see what he does with it after all these years. It's actually an opportunity to redefine the franchise in a positive way for a change.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
宮本 グリフィス said:
That's where my vote goes, for something strange and truly, well... alien. It would be awesome if he could actually give it a similar atmosphere and feel to the first, but that's high expectations, I'm really just curious to see what he does with it after all these years. It's actually an opportunity to redefine the franchise in a positive way for a change.

I think the only thing we know for certain is that Russell Crowe will be in it. :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's my big fear, some bloated Gladiator-in-space version of Alien.
gutsbarf.gif

Is anyone else here on the forum looking forward to watching " The Time Travellers Wife" as I am? To be honest I mainly want to watch it because it has Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams in the movie. ( They are both sexy to me.) :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
slan69 said:
Is anyone else here on the forum looking forward to watching " The Time Travellers Wife" as I am? To be honest I mainly want to watch it because it has Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams in the movie. ( They are both sexy to me.) :carcus:

No, definitely not. your alone on that one... i speak for everyone on this forum.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I would like to present everyone the movie, Zombieland. http://www.zombieland.com/

I'm excited about this, but I have a strange feeling that stupid slow motion sequences in the trailer may be prevelant throughout the movie.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I would like to present everyone the movie, Zombieland. http://www.zombieland.com/

I'm excited about this, but I have a strange feeling that stupid slow motion sequences in the trailer may be prevalent throughout the movie.

Looks like a good movie. Some scenes in this trailer actually made me laugh a little.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Chan Wook Park's Thirst opens this Friday at a theater in downtown Chicago and I will definitely be there.

http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/thirst/popup.php
Chan Wook Park and vampires? Count me in. This guy has been on a looong hiatus. Last movie I saw of his was Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, which wasn't even all that great, imo. Though, I of course really liked JSA and Old Boy (who wouldn't?)

I'll also add this to the mix, even though it's not exactly a ... new release.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1
As you may have heard, Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett (the team behind Mystery Science Theater 3000) and I, Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka (the dumb asshole who runs this site) are teaming up for a special live Rifftrax / Something Awful thingy on August 20th! The event itself is somewhat unorthodox, so I'll attempt to explain it:

We'll be at the Belcourt Theater in Nashville, TN on August 20th. There will be a camera crew there, filming everything and broadcasting it live to over 340 movie theaters across the US (full list here: http://www.ncm.com/FathomContent/PDF/RiffTrax_Participating_Theatres.pdf. So if you are unable to attend the theater in Nashville, there will undoubtedly be shows in your area at the same time.

Mike and crew will be doing a live Rifftrax on the classic "Plan 9 From Outer Space," and I will be doing... well, you'll see! Now's your chance to see Something Awful on the big screen, and leading scientists all agree that you'd be absolutely retarded if you don't attend. So hurry up and buy your tickets before every theater is sold out (which is already happening)!
And I just happen to live about 10 min from the Belcourt Theater :badbone:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Heck yeah Walter a theater right by my house is showing the Rifftrax but I can't find anyone as nerdy as me to go with.
Anyone in the Chicagoland area who likes MST3K and wants a movie date?

Hey Wally, how is JSA by the way? It's the only movie of his I haven't seen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
And I just happen to live about 10 min from the Belcourt Theater :badbone:

Wow, awesome man. You have to go!

handsome rakshas said:
Hey Wally, how is JSA by the way? It's the only movie of his I haven't seen.

Better than most of his other movies.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Deci said:
For sure. That was one of the few movies where I didn't predict the ending at all, and I shat enough bricks to build a cathedral. I don't know if I was just dense or whatever, but the twist at the end was just amazing to me.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
OldBoy is the most spectacular, entertaining and straightforward, but it has a serious flaw: the vilain is too goddamn young. No way he and the protagonist are the same age.
Mr. Vengeance is the best movie, by far. Bleak, gritty and realistic. And it tests morality and the abstract justifications you can make for vengeance more than Oldboy. In Oldboy, you can sympathise more with one character, but in Mr. Vengeance, anyone can be on either side. Plus, it features better acting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
OldBoy is the most spectacular, entertaining and straightforward, but it has a serious flaw: the vilain is too goddamn young. No way he and the protagonist are the same age.

Oh my, what a huge flaw.

NightCrawler said:
Mr. Vengeance is the best movie, by far. Bleak, gritty and realistic. And it tests morality and the abstract justifications you can make for vengeance more than Oldboy. In Oldboy, you can sympathise more with one character, but in Mr. Vengeance, anyone can be on either side. Plus, it features better acting.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance has many defaults. And it's not realistic in the least. The premise is seriously quite ridiculous and contrived in a very typical Asian way. I like the movie of course, but it's far from perfect.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
NightCrawler said:

You can look young if you take care of yourself. :schierke:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
You can look young if you take care of yourself. :schierke:
Exactly. Look at this guy, Araki, creator of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Although, he might really be immortal...
1250038166719.jpg

Any way, back on topic, I think it is hard to choose which one of the three Vengeance movies is the best, but Old Boy certainly is the most well-known. Another question, does the original manga have the same or a similar ending? No spoilers please, just a simple yes or no if you've read it all. :griffnotevil:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Darklink286 said:
Any way, back on topic, I think it is hard to choose which one of the three Vengeance movies is the best, but Old Boy certainly is the most well-known. Another question, does the original manga have the same or a similar ending? No spoilers please, just a simple yes or no if you've read it all. :griffnotevil:

No, the ending is different, crappier.

I think it's not that hard to choose, considering Lady Vengeance is poor, the other two come down to a matter of taste. Stylish and flashy vs bleak and gritty.

Aazealh said:
Oh my, what a huge flaw.

Come on, the guy's like 15 years younger! It's a huge difference.

Aazealh said:
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance has many defaults. And it's not realistic in the least. The premise is seriously quite ridiculous and contrived in a very typical Asian way. I like the movie of course, but it's far from perfect.

It has a realistic setting, features almost no music and effects. The premise may be contrived, but comparing with the other two movies in the vengeance trilogy, it's presented in a more believable and realistic way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Come on, the guy's like 15 years younger! It's a huge difference.

He's younger yeah, but it's a movie and actors being too old or young for their role is nothing new. I agree that it can be a bit weird but I don't think it's such a big deal.

NightCrawler said:
It has a realistic setting, features almost no music and effects. The premise may be contrived, but comparing with the other two movies in the vengeance trilogy, it's presented in a more believable and realistic way.

Well for me honestly the senseless actions and decisions of various characters took all the realism away.

Top Bottom