Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
But I don't think the Halo project is abandoned in any sense, just on hold. It's still on imdb for 2012 with Jackson producing. There is no doubt in my mind that a Halo movie will get made at some point after they figure out all the legal stuff.

IMDb isn't the most reliable source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1007416p1.html

Oburi said:
Even Steven Spielberg was reportedly blown away by the script he read for Halo.

As blown away as he was by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea but is there any doubt that a big money making franchise like Halo won't get movie? It'll deff happen, it just sucks because it may actaully be 5-10 years, but I'm sure when they settle the legal stuff it'll deff be the Transformers of 2012 (hopefully not as stupid. Keep Bay away!).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I'm sure when they settle the legal stuff it'll deff be the Transformers of 2012 (hopefully not as stupid. Keep Bay away!).
CNN 9/12/2012
Top Story: Resident Evil Director to head Halo film.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Yea but is there any doubt that a big money making franchise like Halo won't get movie? It'll deff happen, it just sucks because it may actaully be 5-10 years, but I'm sure when they settle the legal stuff it'll deff be the Transformers of 2012 (hopefully not as stupid. Keep Bay away!).

The point is Peter Jackson has publicly stated that his Halo project was dead. Maybe there'll be a movie down the line, but it won't be the same. Right now they're focusing on the animated TV series anyway.

Looks like Bruce Willis is going to appear in The Expendables and Schwarzenegger?

http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2009/08/expendables-bruce-willis-joins-cast.html

The “Die Hard” star confirmed to MTV News that he is leaving time open on his schedule to shoot a cameo for “The Expendables,” the ultra-violent, star-studded action flick written/directed by and starring Sylvester Stallone. Sly is currently putting the finishing touches on the movie, which also stars Jason Statham, Jet Li and Mickey Rourke as mercenaries overthrowing a South American dictator. Willis said that the he will soon join Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger to shoot a very special scene for the flick.

EDIT:

http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2009/02/schwarzenegger-and-trejo-join-cast-of.html

If you’re keeping score on Stallone’s incredibly awesome cast, it currently looks like this. Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Forest Whitaker, Mickey Rourke, and Eric Roberts (who replaced Ben Kingsley).

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Fuck yeah, i hope The Expendables don't suck.

As for the Halo movie, i've played the games (and own Halo 3). Is it just me, or that shit has no story whatsoever, and the protagonist is just a mindless drone?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Fuck yeah, i hope The Expendables don't suck.

Yeah, it'd be great if it were decent enough that it's not just good for the novelty and nostalgia of the cast. If I was Stallone though, when I had Arnold and Willis on set I'd get as much footage of them as possible to stuff into the movie. :guts:

NightCrawler said:
As for the Halo movie, i've played the games (and own Halo 3). Is it just me, or that shit has no story whatsoever, and the protagonist is just a mindless drone?

Tailor-made for an epic Hollywood adaptation! :troll:

I hear Paul W.S. Anderson is a HUGE fan of the games too. :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
宮本 グリフィス said:
Tailor-made for an epic Hollywood adaptation! :troll:

I hear Paul W.S. Anderson is a HUGE fan of the games too. :carcus:

God stop saying that!! :guts:

Na nightcrawler you are correct. The story for all three games are slightly different variations of the same thing. The overall story for the Halo story is actually very cool, but the games themselves just rehash the same story devices (same characters, same twist, same level scenarios).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
The Plan 9 Riff Trax was fucking hilarious, I pity those who did not get to see it. Did you end up going Walter?
Nah, I wanted to but I had a lot of shit to do tonight at the house. Just wouldn't have worked unfortunately...

Were there any SomethingAwful/L0wtax antics as well, or was it "just" a RiffTrax on Plan 9?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
Nah, I wanted to but I had a lot of shit to do tonight at the house. Just wouldn't have worked unfortunately...

Were there any SomethingAwful/L0wtax antics as well, or was it "just" a RiffTrax on Plan 9?

There was a couple short "commercials" written by Lowtax, they were really weird. They were like something off that Tim and Eric show.
Besides that Lowtax came out on the stage and acted like a douche. (He pretended to be talking or checking his phone the whole time.)
They had a funny short on airline stewardesses, a short musical act, then the riff on Plan 9.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just got back from Inglourious Basterds. I'm blown away. I decided not read up on the movie before going into it as I usually do with movies i anticipate for years ( I even turned away from the trailer when it came on tv) and that really worked for me this time. Just in the first scene my I noticed my heart pounding at the suspense and tension that this film creates. And there are several of these seriously intense heart pounding scenes throughout. The acting is so incredible and all the performances were top notch. Col. Hans Landar has got to be one of the best and scariest screen villains I've seen in a long time. And the women in this film were great, holding their own against such strong male leads. Sometimes I was wondering where the story was going or why the conversation seemed to be dragging on, but it always built up to something exciting and climatic in the end. This movie had it all, great suspense, violent (but quick) action, and some surprisingly funny moments. There was like a perfect balance of all the things that make movies cool, I felt like I got the most for my $, the full experience of movie going. The violence in the movie was graphic at times but never seemed to be over the top and given the situation and the characters that had violence done to them, it was not only fitting but at times warrented. And the end... what a perfect ending.

I had doubts about this movie from the start but I'm so satisfied right now. I can't really say anything bad or something I didn't like. Like I said looking back it was a great movie going experience that really makes me feel lke I got my 10 dollars worth. Even the music was incredible, some of it I recognized from Kill Bill.

I was also happy to see (or hear) some of the traditional Tarantino regulars in there.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I couldn't agree with you more, Oburi. I just got back from seeing it myself and it delivered everything it promised (and more). As for the ending, it couldn't have been more perfect. :guts:

I don't quite know how I feel about Inglorious Basterds, I think I need to see it again. It's kind of hard to understand completely, which is rare for a Tarantino movie, but I can respect him taking an approach that requires more attention/viewings to completely grasp than his previous movies. I just felt like I was blown away by the first half hour or so, where they introduce the basterds, but then after that, it didn't really do much with them, which I felt was very disappointing. Perhaps that was the point, but I wanted to see much more of those guys, but after the introduction, they kinda took a back seat to all the other characters/plots that were going on. And some of those scenes really seemed to drag. I understand the scenes were supposed to be dialogue-driven, but Quentin thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to dialogue, and thus, sometimes his writing starts to annoy me these days.
I mean the whole card game thing, who wants to watch some guy figure out he's king kong for twenty minutes..
Quentin knows how to craft a movie but it's nothing compared to the true Sergio Leone spagetti westerns he tries to imitate. Now there was a guy who could build up amazing characters and actually put them to good use, without letting them drift off into self-indulgent dialogue.

Oburi

All praise Grail
If you think you need to see Inglourious Basterds again then I'm afraid you missed the point. This is one of those movies where the first time you see it will be the best experience you get out of it. And Quentin and Leone just have different styles (duh!). Quentin is better (best) at dialog so he'll use that to carry his picture where Leone is a man of few words and characters will just stare at each other for 10 minutes on screen, you tell me which is more entertaining. I'm not taking anything from Leone, I adore him and his films, but my point is they are different, and I got the same exciting, anxious feeling from the build up that was Inglourious Basterds that was in The good, the bad and the ugly.
And that King Kong scene you mentioned was honestly my favorite part of that scene. Did you not understand what that meant for the character?
Sorry Aufond but you don't need to see the movie again, you missed your chance to truly enjoy the movie the first time, and its your loss :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
Quentin is better (best) at dialog so he'll use that to carry his picture where Leone is a man of few words and characters will just stare at each other for 10 minutes on screen, you tell me which is more entertaining.

The only thing I took away from this sentence is that instead of long moments of silence, Quentin crams 10 minutes of filler dialog. Fillerlog. :troll:

Oburi said:
Sorry Aufond but you don't need to see the movie again, you missed your chance to truly enjoy the movie the first time, and its your loss :guts:

Seconding the first part of this, if you didn't enjoy the movie the first time, you will enjoy it even less the second time.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The only thing I took away from this sentence is that instead of long moments of silence, Quentin crams 10 minutes of filler dialog. Fillerlog. :troll:
No no no. Quentin has moments of silence too, i just meant that they have different ways of building up a scene. I don't know which one is better or more realistic, they are just different, but equally badass :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I really liked Basterds and I think all the actors fit perfectly. I was not looking forward to seeing Eli Roth because for some reason he always has a look on him that makes me want to punch him. I loved the cast and I was kind of happy to see Mike Myers again. My favorite character was the hunter though, he was great.

Oburi

All praise Grail
handsome rakshas said:
I really liked Basterds and I think all the actors fit perfectly. I was not looking forward to seeing Eli Roth because for some reason he always has a look on him that makes me want to punch him. I loved the cast and I was kind of happy to see Mike Myers again. My favorite character was the hunter though, he was great.

Yea the cast was perfect. I too thought Eli Roth was going to be horrible for some reason but he ended up being really cool. His scenes towards the end of the movie were the best and i think he was the one who made me laugh the most. And yea what was up with Mike Myers? I had no idea he as going to be in this and I had trouble taking him seriously after all the accents he put one for Austin Powers movies. But he was very good in a rare "serious" role. And yes, the Jew Hunter was the best.

Oburi said:
If you think you need to see Inglourious Basterds again then I'm afraid you missed the point. This is one of those movies where the first time you see it will be the best experience you get out of it. And Quentin and Leone just have different styles (duh!). Quentin is better (best) at dialog so he'll use that to carry his picture where Leone is a man of few words and characters will just stare at each other for 10 minutes on screen, you tell me which is more entertaining. I'm not taking anything from Leone, I adore him and his films, but my point is they are different, and I got the same exciting, anxious feeling from the build up that was Inglourious Basterds that was in The good, the bad and the ugly.
And that King Kong scene you mentioned was honestly my favorite part of that scene. Did you not understand what that meant for the character?

I disagree. I think it was Quentin's intention to create a more intelligent film that requires a few viewings to be fully grasped. It develops into quite the complex plot, at least I thought so. Perhaps I'm just an idiot and didn't understand it fully on the first view, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing this again, and I'm the one complaining about it! It is, in ways, a very cool film, but I just think it could have been way cooler. And of course Quentin and Leone are very different, but you're insane if you think Quentin doesn't use some of Leone's old tricks, or try to anyways. That whole movie had a very strong Leone feel, a big part of that was the Ennio Morricone music that sounds like it was taken directly from one of those old spagetti westerns. I think there's even a Tarantino quote where he states Inglorious Basterds is his version of a spagetti western as much as it is his war film.

From IMDB: Quentin Tarantino has said that he intends for this to be as much a war film as a spaghetti western, and has said he considered titling the movie "Once Upon a Time in Nazi-Occupied France". He gave that title instead to one of the chapters of the film.

I mean even calling that chapter Once Upon a Time in Nazi-Occupied France is a direct homage to Leone's movies, and basically Quentin was trying to build on a style that Leone made famous. Quentin is a good filmmaker, but you have to admit he's not the most original out there. He obviously has a deep love for movies and knows way more than most filmbuffs, and he shows off his knowledge of things he likes through his own films. That's one thing that's cool about him. Most people wouldn't know anything about the Grindhouse genre if he didn't try to mimic the style of one. Don't even get me started with the whole old school Kung Fu-Samurai thing that Kill Bill brought on. Sure, Quentin does these stories in a way that's definitely his own, and that's where he got lucky and actually used to write really great dialogue. Now, that's even a bit sketchy at times.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yes Aufond, you don't have to school me on how Tarantinos films contain endless similarities to his favorite films.
And of course Quentin and Leone are very different, but you're insane if you think Quentin doesn't use some of Leone's old tricks, or try to anyways.

Now why would you even say that? I didn't say otherwise. I said they have different directing styles... oh whats the point of explaining myself, its so fucking obvious. Like obviously the Once upon a time... title is a reference to Leones film, and yes he's using the music from the Good the bad and the ugly, shit I thought I was watching a Leone film during the opening shots of Basterds. Do you feel smart now that you wrote a whole paragraph needlessly explaining some connections between the two? Its fucking Tarantino! What did you expect!

I think it was Quentin's intention to create a more intelligent film that requires a few viewings to be fully grasped. It develops into quite the complex plot, at least I thought so. Perhaps I'm just an idiot and didn't understand it fully on the first view, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing this again

I'm looking forward to seeing this again too, but not because i didn't understand it. Like I said, not knowing whats going to happen is what really makes the first viewing of this movie so special, its that type of movie. I'll never enjoy it as much because I KNOW whats going to happen. That's why I'm saying to you, aufond, that if you didn't love it the first time then you didn't get the Inglorious Basterds experience the way it was meant to be had. Your fault for not understanding or being an idiot or whatever you think it is. And as for the plot being complex? It was so straitforward and so simple. The great thing about Basterds was it's simplicity story wise and how ironic and clever things turned out in the end. Jesus man all Tarantinos films are like this. Walter was right when he said this movie is more like Pulp Fiction than anything else.

I mean even calling that chapter Once Upon a Time in Nazi-Occupied France is a direct homage to Leone's movies, and basically Quentin was trying to build on a style that Leone made famous

All filmmakers build on what others have done well. Quentin is just "maximum homage". Seriously dude, I don't want to get into a whole " how original is tarantino really?" debate. Your bringing this up for no reason. You think Quentin put all this Leone spaghetti western stuff in there so you can say...
it's nothing compared to the true Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns he tries to imitate.
You missed the point of all of this. If your a huge Leone fan (like I am) then you should have been loving the way Basterds incoperated htat shit into the film.

It is, in ways, a very cool film, but I just think it could have been way cooler.

Yea your the expert right. You even posted a trivia fact from imdb! That helped support your claim that he's imitating Leone and being unoriginal :schierke:

Well, I did see the midnight release so I was kinda on the drowsy side throughout, and the Tarantino fans were being very annoying over every single stupid line, so that kinda took away from the whole experience. But you may be right Oburi, I guess I just don't get Quentin anymore.. I may even have to resort to calling him Tarantino.

Try not to get so touchy about my criticism. I may have been a little harsh, but I don't think I'm wrong with letting this one settle in my mind a bit and then seeing it again. That alone shows that this movie at least succeeded in drawing me into it's world, despite my criticism. And I really do think that's just what Tarantino wants his audience to do. The plot was definitely not so simple, I'd even dare to say it's his most complex film to date. It also has this sad and beautiful side to it, a seriousness in the midst of all the comedy. For those reasons I give the man plenty of respect. It's just that, overall, I'm just not really sure how I liked it yet. I know I liked it a lot in ways, but in others I just felt it was dragging on unnecessarily. Similar to how I felt with Death Proof. The last 20 minutes of that film are a riot, but some of that dialogue with those chicks is almost too painful to endure. Even so his films are aeons beyond 99.9% of the hollywood bullshit that comes out these days, I just don't think it's quite as great as everyone else seems to right now.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Why are you guys calling Tarantino "Quentin"? Are you all really that familiar with him? :schierke:

My excuse is that I'm lazy and don't like him enough to refer to his name in full or know how to spell his first name.

Edit: In my personal opinion, What's his name, just fell for his own hype. Hopfully his movies start to actually get good [still haven't seen Inglorious Bastards] or he starts using writers.

Top Bottom