Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots thread

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
SlimJ87D said:
Hideo Yoji Shinkawa is just as talented as Miura.

Oh, I agree :serpico:

Some very high resolution pictures here:

http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?page=2&num=13853&find=subject&ftext=[tgs

- This puts it beyond all doubt that this stuff is the real deal. Aliasing and polygon edges are evident at several places. It is - however - masterful and usage of correct topology and normal maps, perhaps the best example of what todays tech is capable of yet.

It could of course still be prerendered, but I sure hope you can play while handling situations like that.
It would sure fit with the concept that Team Hideo has shoved down everyone's throats; "no place to hide". I actually think the PS3 COULD do that.

Another thing, was it just me or did that Mini MG Rex actually jump? (I'm extremely tired so me just imagining that is perfectly fine... Probably)

And that moustache is awesome(although a beard would've complemented it greatly)!
What I DO hate is that futuristic eye patch of his. It looks so misplaced

CnC

Ad Oculos
I must admit, those aliasing artifacts (which I didn't see in the video) are there. I guess that is realtime. Wow. Thats amazing.

The pic where oldman snake smiles is really well done. I can't wait to see more games like this.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
CnC said:
The pic where oldman snake smiles is really well done. I can't wait to see more games like this.

Aye, that is truly amazing. I think this is the first game I've seen so far that has taken facial animation to a level where it's actually meaningful. (in older games - and not just in the mgs ones - you could hardly tell if they were smiling or in fact grinning in pain).

The main thing I want to know about this game is how good the enemy AI is. I can imagine you being stranded in a building like in the video and you have to decide on the fly how to best deal with the twentysome soldiers homing in at your position from all directions, using advanced real life based tactics while approaching. Having to decide whether trying to force yourself through at a point in their defensive ring or if going up the roof is the best choice in order to escape is the kind of suspenseful situations I would like to handle. I can definetly see this being quite a different game from MGS1-3, this one being more about "active" sneaking and stealth under pressure. In this game, soldiers should be in 'alert mode' (or at least 'causion'...) all the time! Actually being discovered should have a quite severe change on your chances of survival as well. The prospect of being surrounded by tanks and having artillery shelling instantly nagging your heels is intimidating and will make you think twice about trying to snap that soldiers neck, more so than previous games have.

I'm also curious as to where that video takes place (in the game). You don't really get to see any good shots of larger parts of the town/city, let alone of single buildings. Does anyone have a clue?

Oh, and bring on the crazy boss characters!

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Aazealh said:
The urban warfare part is interesting, however having robots patrolling the streets makes me wonder about the X years thing... Knowing the guys at Kojima productions this could take place during the "second part" of the story, like what they did with MGS2. Just a random guess though.

Well from what we can see in this story line, moore's law is coming into place =/ (joke... or is it) Haha, well if it's around 8 years, then technology just about doubled or tripled... and knowing how advance the militaries technology is now (Well we don't really know... it's all top secret... but it's much higher then our home appliances) then maybe all those crazy MG are possible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SlimJ87D said:
Well from what we can see in this story line, moore's law is coming into place =/ (joke... or is it)

Moore's law applies to the number of transitors in processors, that can't really relate here... Besides he himself said that his "law" (he didn't intend it to be like that at the time) wouldn't be applicable for much longer. He's really quite a sensible man from the articles I've read about him, I like his attitude. But I digress.

SlimJ87D said:
Haha, well if it's around 8 years, then technology just about doubled or tripled... and knowing how advance the militaries technology is now

Well, the advancement in robotics is indeed impressive these days, but having bipeds like that as intensive combat unit by 2015 seems totally unrealistic to me. Now, all of this happens in the MGS world so the perspective is different. It's just that having miniature Metal Gears mass produced and everywhere seems like quite a progress compared to the situation in MGS2 (even though they had lots of MG Ray inside "Arsenal Gear"), or should I say a degeneration?

Anyway, I'm just wondering because Kojima and his team have a habit of giving "false" information, or only releaving half of it so that people would be confused. None of this seems too far-fetched to me, but I'd still prefer if we had a transition from normal Snake to gramps instead of a "3 years later" and him being like that. I mean, what's Meryl going to say? :judo:

EDIT:
yota821 said:
You know, they had all those Metal Gear Rex's in MGS2, and it's only 2-3 years since that game. It's not entirely unfeasible.

Indeed not, like I said, I could buy it. Now, miniaturization isn't so easy, and there's a difference between secretly making a dozen of MGs following the same model and having new robots patrolling the streets with soldiers (you know the cost of R&D). No real army pulls stuff like that in 2 years, even changing Jeeps takes time. But like I said, it's the Metal Gear world... I guess the Patriots and their infinite money supply would have had to do something to counter the leak of MG blueprints on the Internet or something like that.

Haha, poor Meryl!! 'Guess Raiden's gonna complicate himself in a love triangle of sorts ;). (Or square? Snake--><--Meryl<--Raiden--><--Rosemary) :carcus:

SlimJ87D

Apollo
*Opening (which is the trailer we see) ends*

Snake just wakes up from a terrible nightmare of the future if he doesn't stop smoking and starts figthing

Snake: Holy crap I look stupid with a mustache

*Snakes suites up for his next mission, he's not old anymore*

*Large bold text* METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.

Metal Gear Solid 4 starts...

.....MGS GOODNESS!!!!!!     Today was the first time i saw the pics of the game.....all to my suprise a TRAILER!!!!!!   AMAZING!!! From what we saw today is 1% of the whole thing...(plot, gameplay etc etc) I CANT FUCKIN WAIT....i was telling everyone the only reason I 'personally' want a PS3 is for MGS4 and goddamn im stickin to my guns!!! Imagine the in-game movies, boss fights, etc etc!!! It looks like a fuckin movie....JOY!!!! I sweated MGS since the PS...couldnt get enuff of it then....fiending for it now....
               A) His eye patch...as to all our knowledge, Snake never lost an eye....SO....one of 2 things for the eyepatch....the game starts BOOM snake loses an eye..then the game picks up later (thats why snake is old) OR his eyepatch serves as a tool....  It looked to me that the Metal Gear on the street spotted him and the eypatch jammed the signal?!? If im wrong omeone please correct me.
              B) X years....2-3 years seems weak to me....10 is plausible (theres most likey 2 part story-time line to this game...like the game will start then pick up a few years later...because if snake is that old in 3 years....no comment....but 10 years i could buy....
              C) Is it possible...probaby...that there re more characters that Kojima isnt talking about/ revealing?
              D)Any ideas as to what country the game is taking place in....the trailer said suttin about Someplace where theres always conflict...im thinkin somewhere in Eastern Europe....

Gotta head out Ill be back later

A)In the trailer (don't know if you have it yet, but assuming you did) he uses the 'eyepatch' to identify the troops moving and whatnot. What exactly it does it never showed, doubtless it will become vital to the gameplay.

B)It's been confirmed it will be 2-3 years afterward, Otacon seems too well preserved for 10 years. Or maybe he's just using cosmetics :troll:.

*Spoiler*

C)There was a poster for MGS4 released a while back, featuring 8 characters that are slated to appear in the game. They are:Solid Snake, Otacon, Vamp, Raiden, Meryl, Ocelot, and two unknowns. One is speculated to be Big Boss, and the other looks simliar to either Fortune or Naomi (although the former is likely...)

D)Who knows?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SlimJ87D said:
Snake just wakes up from a terrible nightmare of the future if he doesn't stop smoking and starts figthing

XD Hehe, that wouldn't be unlike what we've seen in the past... "Ok Jack, you can remove your mask now."

Proj2501 said:
OR his eyepatch serves as a tool...

It seems more likely to me.

Proj2501 said:
Any ideas as to what country the game is taking place in...

Could be some nameless fictional country. More convenient for the plot.

yota821 said:
Otacon seems too well preserved for 10 years.

Really? Look at his face, he could easily be around forty IMHO.

Ok...watched the trailer again...more thoughts
     I have a feeling the remote controled Mini-metal Gear will play a role in gameplay  probably for finding ammo, hacking, and Oh....i have a feeling...just a thought actually that Otacon will hack into one of those "Rex-Rays" we saw walking around...they seem pretty common in the "World of MGS"....there were more than one correct?...and i bet there'll be a time when snake gets surrounded by those bad boys and some major action will take place....(i know its just a thought)....
     ALSO, now this is just me but does anyone else feel like this is the last time we'll see snake?...so many things in the trailer give me that feeling....first off hes seems like his heart isnt doin to well and he needed that shot....like Snake is master of stealth and u saw him drop his gun and fall to the ground....not too stealthy....and when he's running away at the end the music just gives me the feeling this is Snake's last mission....even the lines 'an old man exhausted of battle'.....i think those were the words used.....and yes snake is old...of course we all love young badass snake....but i like the realisitic side of MGS...people get old and people die.....i just have this terrible feeling Snake is goin croak at the end of this thing....hopefully since Raiden has been hangin out with Snake for a few years...he's more badass....UGH I CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS!!!!!!!!!
Anyone know a tentative release....sumtime in 2007 right?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more question/thought and then I'll shut up:
A Berserk game was made for DC....it must've sold well enough because
they made a game for PS2......how did that sell....i bet pretty well......IMAGINE A BERSEK GAME ON PS3......(ok thinking of MGS4 and BERSERK will make me overload and die....so im done for now...AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!)

Proj2501 said:
Ok...watched the trailer again...more thoughts
I have a feeling the remote controled Mini-metal Gear will play a role in gameplay probably for finding ammo, hacking, and Oh....i have a feeling...just a thought actually that Otacon will hack into one of those "Rex-Rays" we saw walking around...they seem pretty common in the "World of MGS"....there were more than one correct?...and i bet there'll be a time when snake gets surrounded by those bad boys and some major action will take place....(i know its just a thought)....

It's probable. But since this is a 'stealth' game, if ever Snake gets surrounded, the words "Game Over" are likely to appear soon ;)

ALSO, now this is just me but does anyone else feel like this is the last time we'll see snake?...so many things in the trailer give me that feeling....first off hes seems like his heart isnt doin to well and he needed that shot....like Snake is master of stealth and u saw him drop his gun and fall to the ground....not too stealthy....and when he's running away at the end the music just gives me the feeling this is Snake's last mission....even the lines 'an old man exhausted of battle'.....i think those were the words used.....and yes snake is old...of course we all love young badass snake....but i like the realisitic side of MGS...people get old and people die.....i just have this terrible feeling Snake is goin croak at the end of this thing....hopefully since Raiden has been hangin out with Snake for a few years...he's more badass....UGH I CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS!!!!!!!!!

It might be. And it's not his heart, it's more likely his lungs (or something else we can't see), since he's coughing, and injecting directly into his neck, instead of the chest.

Anyone know a tentative release....sumtime in 2007 right?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more question/thought and then I'll shut up:
A Berserk game was made for DC....it must've sold well enough because
they made a game for PS2......how did that sell....i bet pretty well......IMAGINE A BERSEK GAME ON PS3......(ok thinking of MGS4 and BERSERK will make me overload and die....so im done for now...AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!)

Yes, Berserk on PS3 will be nice. Let's hope it won't let the manga down!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
ALSO, now this is just me but does anyone else feel like this is the last time we'll see snake?

Solid Snake at least. Although they could always release a prequel someday if they needed money...

Proj2501 said:
IMAGINE A BERSEK GAME ON PS3...

Fuck that, I want it on Revolution. :puck:

yota821 said:
And it's not his heart, it's more likely his lungs (or something else we can't see), since he's coughing, and injecting directly into his neck, instead of the chest.

Well, they all say he injects himself in the jugular vein, which conveys blood directly to the heart...

yota821 said:
Yes, Berserk on PS3 will be nice.

Will be? Don't get rumors started. :guts:

:X  My (lack of) knowledge of anatomy has failed me.   :judo:

Aazealh said:
Will be? Don't get rumors started. :guts:

Sorry, sorry.   :'(  :judo: 

Aazealh said:
Well, they all say he injects himself in the jugular vein, which conveys blood directly to the heart...

-Edit- You know what though?  That just reminded me of FOXDIE.  I'm pretty sure everyone else thought of it, but I guess he found some sort of way to suppress it?  The thought that Naomi is making a return seems more likely.

-Second Edit- This will be the last in the MGS series (at least for Kojima):

MGS4 News

'Bout time, IMO.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
You know what though? That just reminded me of FOXDIE. I'm pretty sure everyone else thought of it, but I guess he found some sort of way to suppress it?

Yeah, that could be it. At least it's an interesting possibility.

yota821 said:
This will be the last in the MGS series (at least for Kojima)

That's not the first time we hear that... It would indeed be a good time to stop and start other projects anyway.

Yea, ZOE2, was a great game, but I'm just going with Revolution, gonna be all I need. Also have you guys seen the teaser video with the controller with them sword fighting and such?

Top Bottom