Official SKnet Wii thread

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
SimplyEd said:
You are, of course, right with what have said, but that's not entirely what i was getting at.
Actually i'm way more concerned with quality and not so much the quantity. But that's mainly what *i* would perceive as quality, mind you. There is a target audience for casual games or minigames or shovelware or whatnot out there, but what i've seen up to now, the kind of support that third parties are offering that system, just doesnt sit well with me. I think its Nintendos call to do something about it. Maybe not now, maybe not for the whole of next year, but at some point they'll need more quality titles unless they are already planing towards a new flagship system. And they'll need those quality titles from third parties just as much as they need the ones from their own developers. But, as you said, there's already more than one light to be seen on the horizon with those new hardware improvements and i don't want to argue with that.

Hmm, i think i might risk my neck if this continues on much longer, lol^^

About the PS3/360. I think i remember an article which stated that both systems are still far from reaching the end of their capabilities for quite some time. I mean, for the PS2 it has taken more than a few years to reach its peak.
And as far as Microsoft is concerned, i want them to fix their hardware mess first because each and every one of us with a 360 is only playing on borrowed time, with the RROD looming over every single unit that has been sold so far.

Nah, nah don't worry you're neck is safe attached to your head :serpico:, and I agree about the quality thing, because most of the third party games suck I own almost exclusively first party which limits my selection of games to play.

A few comments on the PS3/360 thing: yeah they both have awhile before they reach their limits, but the PS3 will take longer before it peaks because it's meant to have a longer lifespan as I said earlier.

Oh, I meant to bring this up earlier when you were talking about the hardware issues of the 360, but I wanted to tell you that microsoft already started addressing those issues in late '07 when they started manufacturing the 360s with what's called the "falcon chip". This chip is in all 360s that are manufactured now and is in every Elite, it is 50% cheaper to manufacture and uses less power which almost completely eliminates the red ring of death

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Guts' intestines said:
Oh, I meant to bring this up earlier when you were talking about the hardware issues of the 360, but I wanted to tell you that microsoft already started addressing those issues in late '07 when they started manufacturing the 360s with what's called the "falcon chip". This chip is in all 360s that are manufactured now and is in every Elite, it is 50% cheaper to manufacture and uses less power which almost completely eliminates the red ring of death

I know. My 360s MFR date is 2007-10-08 and it might just be equipped with that new chipset, but i'm not a 100% sure. And even if it is, that doesn't guarantee a complete safety. I want to love my 360...but it may not let me^^

Guts intestines

SimplyEd said:
I know. My 360s MFR date is 2007-10-08 and it might just be equipped with that new chipset, but i'm not a 100% sure. And even if it is, that doesn't guarantee a complete safety. I want to love my 360...but it may not let me^^

If yours is oct. of 07 its almost guaranteed that you have one, and its easy to make sure: if your 360's brick says 175w then it has a falcon chip and most do if they were manufactured on or after 8/24/07 I know this is a Wii thread but I'll just leave a link for further info on how to check:

http://forums.xbox.com/15804553/ShowPost.aspx.

If you have a falcon chip there's little chance of the red ring of death appearing (probably no more than any of the other two systems malfunctioning in a similar way) plus if you have a cooling fan the chance is next to none so if you have one then relax and enjoy your 360 :guts:.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
I've just watched the new Tenchu 4 trailer on gametrailers.com and it looks simply marvelous.
As a long time fan of the series, i have to say that i'm very impressed with the sheer amount of interaction with the environment and new ways to manipulate your surroundings.
They show a whole lot during those 8 minutes, like how the hissatsuwaza are performed with the wii remote, various new sneaky elements, first person combat (which was rather undesireable in all the other titles, but it seems quite solid this time) and various other tricks and gimmicks (the trained cat is my favourite).

Looks like its time to dust off my old ninja suit and go on another hunt!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39652.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
I've just watched the new Tenchu 4 trailer on gametrailers.com and it looks simply marvelous.
As a long time fan of the series, i have to say that i'm very impressed with the sheer amount of interaction with the environment and new ways to manipulate your surroundings.
They show a whole lot during those 8 minutes, like how the hissatsuwaza are performed with the wii remote, various new sneaky elements, first person combat (which was rather undesireable in all the other titles, but it seems quite solid this time) and various other tricks and gimmicks (the trained cat is my favourite).

Wow, it does indeed look quite good. I'm pleasantly surprised, considering that the last few titles in the series sucked IMHO. I hope it'll be successful enough to be released here.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
Wow, it does indeed look quite good. I'm pleasantly surprised, considering that the last few titles in the series sucked IMHO. I hope it'll be successful enough to be released here.

I think it will. It's good to see that the devs are finally including some long overdue improvements to the series. The new "retreat to the shadows" element looks really neat and it seems to even work when the enemy is really close to discovering your presence.
Also, the first person combat seems to be turn based (defensive/offensive turn) and your sword has a durability gauge, which could mean you have to snatch some new ones from enemies.

X

Xem

Tenchu does indeed look good.

My eyes are currently watching out for this new mystery RPG Fragile.Trailer here: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/827212/fragile-farewell-ruins-of-the-moon/videos/Adapter3_090308.html. I haven't really played an RPG in a long, long time, and this seems like a good one to get back into the genre.

The Force Unleashed for Wii also seems pretty cool. Apparently they sorta remade the entire game so that it plays better with the Wii format, including introducing 5 new levels.

There's also a cartoony boxing game coming out that looked really cool, though I haven't been following the development of it. I've been dying for a well made boxing game ever since I played Wii Boxing. Mucho potential there.

edit: put in a longer, better trailer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been playing Geometry Wars: Galaxies the past few days. The reviewers on the game definitely scored it too low, in my opinion. It's probably my favorite game so far this year, certainly my favorite Wii game this year. Reviewrs said they scored it low because at its release was $40, and Retro Evolved was selling on the 360 for $5. Well, now Galaxies is $20 at most retailers. So bring it on.

Too bad only the 360 and PS3 get Retro Evolved 2 .... Maybe itll eventually make its way to Wii Ware. Christ, I hope so.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Too bad only the 360 and PS3 get Retro Evolved 2 .... Maybe itll eventually make its way to Wii Ware. Christ, I hope so.

Well in the meantime you can always play Chō Aniki. :carcus:

Guts intestines

Deci said:
There's also a cartoony boxing game coming out that looked really cool, though I haven't been following the development of it. I've been dying for a well made boxing game ever since I played Wii Boxing. Mucho potential there.

Oh, that's facebreaker party, it's a separate version of the game just called facebreaker for the nextgen consoles.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The X360/PS3 Facebreaker's apparently rather mediocre unfortunately (from the reviews I've read). Too bad, it looked cool.

X

Xem

Yeah everywhere I look it has horrible reviews, apparently all centering on the gameplay. What a let down.

DISASTER DAY OF CRISIS looks promising though. You go about avoiding major natural disasters as well as fighting off armed enemies, it looks like it's really utilizing the wiimote and nunchuck as much as possible. Here's a gameplay video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39963.html

I liked one of the comments. "Just buy the fucking game to make Nintendo realize the Wii needs more games like this." :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I'm curious about Disaster: Day of Crisis myself. Not sure what to expect. It's from Monolith Software though so I'm expecting something at least decent.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mega Man 2 hit VC today, along with Strong Bad episode 2 for Wii Ware.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16263

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Graphics look incredible for the Wii. Im a little worried about the multiplayer aspect, since from what little I know of Monster Hunter, a good portion of the game is online and accomplished through group questing. And as we all know, the Wii has proven utterly pathetic in that regard, so far.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Graphics look incredible for the Wii. Im a little worried about the multiplayer aspect, since from what little I know of Monster Hunter, a good portion of the game is online and accomplished through group questing. And as we all know, the Wii has proven utterly pathetic in that regard, so far.

Actually, the game's focus isn't necessarily about online play. You can do everything by yourself if you want to, and outside of Japan you don't even have the choice. In fact, so far the multiplayer system looks rather like an improvement to me (how could it not compared to the PS2), even though the Wii hasn't been shining in that regard in the past. I think this might be the game that'll give the Wii's online network a kick start.

Guts intestines

So wait a sec, you can only play it online with the PAL version? I really want something other than Mario Kart to play online, seriously.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
So wait a sec, you can only play it online with the PAL version? I really want something other than Mario Kart to play online, seriously.

I was talking about the first Monster Hunter game for PS2, not this new one for Wii. And after checking, it was actually only released without online capabilities in Europe (surprise, surprise). In the US online play was available at least for a time. As for Monster Hunter 2, it simply wasn't released outside of Japan.

The most famous versions in the West are the PSP ports though I believe, and those don't have online play at all.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
The only game I'll be buying for my Wii in the foreseeable future.

I am concerned for the online portion in the same way Wally is. But because it's NOT portable, it might not be the cornerstone of the game overall.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Newest Wii Ware game released today is Bomberman Blast, an online, 8-player Bomberman extravaganza. I remember playing this at parties throughout middle school - this'll be awesome.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/ww/bombermanblast/usa/e/

Apparently its been out in the EU for a while and gotten rave reviews.

Guts intestines

Walter said:
Newest Wii Ware game released today is Bomberman Blast, an online, 8-player Bomberman extravaganza. I remember playing this at parties throughout middle school - this'll be awesome.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/ww/bombermanblast/usa/e/

Apparently its been out in the EU for a while and gotten rave reviews.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting it because it's only 10 bucks, 20 if you consider the fact that they only sell 2000 point cards.

Oh and tomorrow... er, today on IGN they're playing some new levels of the conduit, I'm telling you guys that that is the next big thing for wii, going for 16 person lan, and online, possibly co-op, wiispeak compatibility, the best graphics on wii, and fully customizable controls its definitely a game to look out for for anyone who likes fps and owns a wii.

Top Bottom