Official SKnet Wii thread

I don't think this deserves a new thread but it certainly deserves to be posted.
http://kotaku.com/5121855/dumb-lady-physically-puts-credit-cards-in-wii

:ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Most of us knew that Cave Story was coming to Wii Ware, but it seems I'm the only one bitching that it missed its release date. It was scheduled to come out before the end of the year, and here we sit, middle of January and no news of its release. :mozgus:

Anyway, to tide the fans over, here are some screenshots of what they're doing with the Wii version's graphics.

http://8bitcity.blogspot.com/2008/11/cave-story-wii-ware-screen-shots.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Most of us knew that Cave Story was coming to Wii Ware, but it seems I'm the only one bitching that it missed its release date. It was scheduled to come out before the end of the year, and here we sit, middle of January and no news of its release. :mozgus:

Anyway, to tide the fans over, here are some screenshots of what they're doing with the Wii version's graphics.

http://8bitcity.blogspot.com/2008/11/cave-story-wii-ware-screen-shots.html

Wow, they're actually redoing the graphics? Man, between that and the additional content, now I have to buy it!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Yea, with new(ish) graphics and new content I have the perfect reason to buy it and play through again.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well I was hoping today would be the day, but nope. Just two more shitty anonymous Wii Ware games and... Castlevania 3! Well, 1/3 ain't bad, I guess.

Castlevania 3 is pretty good. I think you should rejoice honestly. Alucard's first appearance! :guts:

Walter said:
I suppose I can't be that mad at Nintendo and their embarrassing online lineup. They DID give us Secret of Mana after all. Still, I think we're all holding out for Seiken Densetsu 3 though :schierke:

Have you guys got Earthbound yet?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Castlevania 3 is pretty good. I think you should rejoice honestly. Alucard's first appearance! :guts:
I think his first appearance is actually Kid Dracula  :badbone: Though it's inconclusive.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5167904/wii-getting-another-resident-evil-shooting-game
Famitsu announced a new Resident Evil (AKA Biohazard in Japan) game for the Nintendo Wii titled Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles.

The Wii light gun game is a continuation of Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and set in the world of Resident Evil 2. The game's release date and price have not yet been announced.
Yay...? As the comments on the article say, I would rather have had an actual RE2 remake, with RE4-style gameplay. That would have been an instant purchase for me, but ... another on-rails shooter? Hard to get excited about it, given the poor reception of Umbrella Chronicles.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
http://kotaku.com/5167904/wii-getting-another-resident-evil-shooting-gameYay...? As the comments on the article say, I would rather have had an actual RE2 remake, with RE4-style gameplay. That would have been an instant purchase for me, but ... another on-rails shooter? Hard to get excited about it, given the poor reception of Umbrella Chronicles.

Exactly, how can so many consumers have the same, "I WANT THIS" idea on their own, and yet be totally ignored in lieu of something nobody wants. You wouldn't even have to shamelessly promote the game, just let people know it's out there. It's not even the only cool idea they're neglecting, imagine if they went Mega Man 9 and released a new "classic style" RE on the Wii, basically like the unused RE4 engines. Not only would they get all the RE4 fans on the Wii onboard, but all the defectors that didn't like the gameplay change and are desperate for something like that. Instead, they're consumer base on Wii is reacting like this...

So let's go through the Capcom Wii support check list:

1. Outsourced third-rate developer? Check!
2. Low budget? Check!
3. On-rails gameplay? Check!
4. Re-ussed assets from old RE games? Check!
5. The absolute opposite of what Wii gamers want? Check!
6. Horrible PR trying to hype the game? Check!
7. Announcing the mediocre Wii game at a AAA 360 Game event? Check!

Total and complete failure to respect the 1.5 million people who bought RE4? Check, check and check!!

Ouch! I still partly blame Nintendo though, if they had the graphic capabilities, there'd no reason they wouldn't get RE5 too.

Speaking of MM9, how was the feedback on your downloadable content article Wally?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Speaking of MM9, how was the feedback on your downloadable content article Wally?
Nonexistent, as usual. When I wrote entertainment articles, I already knew my audience was about 5-6 people.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Walter said:
http://kotaku.com/5167904/wii-getting-another-resident-evil-shooting-gameYay...? As the comments on the article say, I would rather have had an actual RE2 remake, with RE4-style gameplay. That would have been an instant purchase for me, but ... another on-rails shooter? Hard to get excited about it, given the poor reception of Umbrella Chronicles.

I would rather they make a RE2 remake in the vein of the RE Gamecube remake, but of course that would be too ambitious a game on the wii. Looks like just more ports for us, as we will also be getting GC ports of RE and RE:0, yup more GC games that look better than most Wii games.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=75407

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kaji-Ryohji said:
I would rather they make a RE2 remake in the vein of the RE Gamecube remake, but of course that would be too ambitious a game on the wii.

Are you saying a brand new game in a different genre (one that gets little love) like The Darkside Chronicles is less ambitious than a remake of a previous game? Because by your own standards I don't think it is.

SlimeBeherit

Aazealh said:
Are you saying a brand new game in a different genre (one that gets little love) like The Darkside Chronicles is less ambitious than a remake of a previous game? Because by your own standards I don't think it is.

Yes i do think its too ambitious an idea for Capcom to spend a lot more time and money on a wii game, when it never seems to work out for them(http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=10513) , and what little love the genre might seem to get it was enough for Umbrella Chronicle to sell 500k in the US

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kaji-Ryohji said:
Yes i do think its too ambitious an idea for Capcom to spend a lot more time and money on a wii game, when it never seems to work out for them(http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=10513) , and what little love the genre might seem to get it was enough for Umbrella Chronicle to sell 500k in the US

I'm not sure what you're saying here. A straight up remake isn't what I'd call ambitious. And Capcom didn't spend a lot of time and money on Umbrella Chronicles... Yet it still sold about as much as Resident Evil 0. Now, this new game is using the same engine, gameplay, everything and therefore will cost even less. If they put some more effort into it, with the experience they now have, they've got the potential to make a better game that might sell as much or more. And I'd like a remake of RE2 in the vein of what they did for the first game, but it's not really "ambitious" by any means...

In any case, I don't see how your link relates to that. Okami Wii was a straight up port that brought very little if anything to the game. I'm not surprised that it didn't outsell the PS2 version as the PS2 has a much larger user base. Not to mention that people who already bought the PS2 version didn't buy the Wii one (taking myself as an example here). As far as it goes for Zack & Wiki, I think it's a great game, but I don't think there was much advertisement for it, if any. What can I say, it's hard for a new IP in an old school genre to generate a lot of profit. But we're talking about a spin-off of a famous series here, so it's the opposite case.

SlimeBeherit

Aazealh said:
I'm not sure what you're saying here. A straight up remake isn't what I'd call ambitious. And Capcom didn't spend a lot of time and money on Umbrella Chronicles... Yet it still sold about as much as Resident Evil 0. Now, this new game is using the same engine, gameplay, everything and therefore will cost even less. If they put some more effort into it, with the experience they now have, they've got the potential to make a better game that might sell as much or more. And I'd like a remake of RE2 in the vein of what they did for the first game, but it's not really "ambitious" by any means...

I was trying to see that i don't see them spending the time and money of a RE:2 remake like GC RE. Perhaps i misused "ambitious", my writing skill aren't all the great.

In any case, I don't see how your link relates to that. Okami Wii was a straight up port that brought very little if anything to the game. I'm not surprised that it didn't outsell the PS2 version as the PS2 has a much larger user base. Not to mention that people who already bought the PS2 version didn't buy the Wii one (taking myself as an example here). As far as it goes for Zack & Wiki, I think it's a great game, but I don't think there was much advertisement for it, if any. What can I say, it's hard for a new IP in an old school genre to generate a lot of profit. But we're talking about a spin-off of a famous series here, so it's the opposite case.

I posted more so because of Zack & Wiki, but Okami was lumped in there, but very true Zack & Wiki was a new IP,too bad many people overlook it, when it's 10-20$ bucks now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kaji-Ryohji said:
I was trying to see that i don't see them spending the time and money of a RE:2 remake like GC RE. Perhaps i misused "ambitious", my writing skill aren't all the great.

Ok, no big deal but I was a bit confused. Unfortunately I also don't see them spending too much money on those spin-offs, or on a remake for that matter.

Kaji-Ryohji said:
I posted more so because of Zack & Wiki, but Okami was lumped in there, but very true Zack & Wiki was a new IP,too bad many people overlook it, when it's 10-20$ bucks now.

Yeah it's really too bad, but honestly it's a niche genre now and I don't know what they expected without heavy marketing.

X

Xem

Some new information and a gameplay trailer regarding Punch Out!!!

So it's confirmed that there will be 2-player support! That's a good sigh of relief, also regarding the gameplay trailer I think it looks pretty good... but I also thought the other cartoony boxing game looked good so I'm holding out my final judgement until I get some better reviews.

[quote author=IGN] Nintendo of Europe has let slip some new details about the forthcoming Wii boxer, Punch-Out!! The title, developed by Next Level Games (Mario Strikers), will reportedly feature a new two-player mode in which Little Mac can square off against himself.

NOE also confirmed that the title will boast 13 playable fighters -- roughly three more than the original. And it will also include Doc Louis.

Additionally, the company provides some new details about the motion-based controls (gamers can also play traditionally holding the Wii remote on its side). "Punching is a simple case of taking a swing at your opponent whilst holding different combinations of buttons. Soften them up with jabs by pressing up on the Nunchuk Control Stick when you punch, or crash home a super-charged Star Punch by holding the C or A Buttons as you let your hands go," Nintendo revealed.[/quote]

http://wii.ign.com/articles/964/964846p1.html

All good news to me, and I found in an even more recent article that it will feature Balance Board support from the WiiFit franchise for dodging and weaving. All-in-all I'm pretty excited about this game...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A Silent Hill game is coming to the Wii, called Shattered Memories.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=77596

“This is a reimagining of the first Silent Hill,” explains producer Tomm Hulett. “It’s not a remake or a port. That’s an important distinction. It really feels like a new game.”

We will have more details on this game as they come in, and I will add that information to this post. Thanks to Marl0 for the heads up!

UPDATE - quotes from the article…

“The characters play different roles, things don’t necessarily happen in the same order, and the story is taken in lots of new directions. You still play as Harry Mason, you’re still looking for your daughter, and you’ll see familiar elements, but they’re all twisted to betray your expectations.”

“One of Shattered Memories’ most significant and intriguing additions—your answers actually affect how the game unfolds. And it doesn’t end there. the game “watches” you constantly, and your behavior throughout can determine when you’ll meet certain characters, which scenes you’ll witness, and a variety of other factors.” “In Silent Hill games, the town always gets inside the protagonist’s head,” say Hulett. “But now, it’s getting inside YOUR head.”

“We’re using the Wii Remote to interact directly with the environment, so the puzzles are all based around that idea,” says Hulett. “You’re not just hitting buttons to choose things.” He also notes that the solution to a puzzle is always in the immediate vicinity, and assures us there’s a lot less backtracking then in previous games.”

“Longtime fans of the series will also be delighted to learn that there’s a way through every locked door; no more checking dozens of entrances only to find that 90% of them are permanently barred shut.”

But apparently there's more to it than that: the game supposedly doesn't feature combat.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=77624

-Harry is moved using the control stick, the Wii remote is used to aim the flashlight
-When you look at something Harry will vocally respond
-No load times
-The Wii remote acts as your cell phone, and the static noise comes out of the Wii remote speaker
-Combat has been removed from the game, you can only flee
-When the monsters chase you the Z button will allow you to break through doors, climb fences, through windows etc.

Intriguing to say the least. I think the series has been stagnating for a while, so maybe the drastic new directions they're taking with this game can give it a fresh start. I honestly think I might like the fact you can only flee, depending on how well it's done. That could make the game seriously nerve-racking, and I know that it's what I liked about the first Silent Hill, that I often chose to flee rather than to clean out all the enemies (like I'd do in a Resident Evil game for example).

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Best news ever!

Maybe they can do it (the fleeing parts) just like in Call of Cthulhu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUeDhRYDNk

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BREAKING NEWS:
Wii games suck: http://www.edge-online.com/features/games-at-a-glance-wii-quality

Top Bottom