PS3 and XBOX 360

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Uggh... I have to listen now? Please make it easier for me and tell me what it says. :'(
How about I type up a transcript then print that out and mail it to you? TheHawks would be proud 8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Reviving the thread in case anybody wants to discuss the now official november (late late Spring :troll:) release of the PS3. Worldwide release with a total production of 6 million units planned for 2006, mostly delayed because of the Blu-ray apparently.

It'll come with a 60GB Linux-compatible HDD out of the box, be 100% backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games and displaying them in high definition, and will feature a seemingly rich online service. No real scoop here, and still no price tag nor any launch line-up announced.

Aazealh said:
It'll come with a 60GB Linux-compatible HDD out of the box

I'm not sure, they've been updating this story all day, but wasnt the statement about the 60 gig HDD for the PS3 being in or out of box a bit up in the air still?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I'm not sure, they've been updating this story all day, but wasnt the statement about the 60 gig HDD for the PS3 being in or out of box a bit up in the air still?

Yeah, there's still some doubt whether people will have to buy it separately (as it wouldn't be sold with the system), or if there'll be 2 versions (sort of like for the Xbox 360), the PS3 conceivers haven't officially decided yet. However Kutaragi specifically stated that the HDD would be an obligatory element and he told developers to make their games assuming that all PS3 would have one... So it's contradictory in true Sony fashion, but if devs start making games that won't function without a HDD, they won't be able to backtrack.

Bottom line is that Sony isn't known for its reliable announcements and that I'll wait to see how it all unfolds... That worldwide release in particular seems rather dubious to me, I hope they'll prove me wrong.

BiQ_

" ... "
Aazealh said:
Bottom line is that Sony isn't known for its reliable announcements and that I'll wait to see how it all unfolds... That worldwide release in particular seems rather dubious to me, I hope they'll prove me wrong.

Aye. Emotion Engine, anyone?

Frankly, I'll be very surprised if PS3 will be backwards-compatible all the way to PS1. PS2 sure, but cramming another layer of compatibility legacy stuff into PS3 might very well prove to be simply not worth the hassle.

Anyways, I find it extremely amusing that Sony is essentially trying to win next-gen dvd format war with battle in the next-gen game console area - and lets this cause a delay that may very well cause them to lose both of these battles. Or not. I don't really know which sides to take on this issue, since they are essentially all $EVIL_MEGACORPORATIONs... and I don't really have that much time for gaming these days anyway. When I do, it's usually frantic 2D-shooter bursts. (Well, Gradius VI is rumoured to be made for PS3 so... well. We'll see.)

BiQ-- said:
Frankly, I'll be very surprised if PS3 will be backwards-compatible all the way to PS1. PS2 sure, but cramming another layer of compatibility legacy stuff into PS3 might very well prove to be simply not worth the hassle.

Not that tough to emulate PS1 hardware, hell my computer which is about 4 or 5 years old handles the job without a hitch, I'm sure it wouldnt be much problem for the PS3, especially since the PSP is now slated to be able to play PS1 games.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BiQ-- said:
Aye. Emotion Engine, anyone?

I expect the Cell to be as much if not more of a joke. Kutaragi has no limit though, he said PS3 games were "live" games and that the PS3 concept is "4D". Way to go, reminds me of Apple saying the G4 was a supercomputer and that for this reason they wouldn't be able to sell it outside of the USA.

BiQ-- said:
Anyways, I find it extremely amusing that Sony is essentially trying to win next-gen dvd format war with battle in the next-gen game console area - and lets this cause a delay that may very well cause them to lose both of these battles. Or not.

Well, that BR delay is quite convenient for them (almost too much), they would have never been able to produce enough PS3 if they had released it in April... They're taking a big risk this time around though, if the PS3 and BR fail, they'll probably sink given their current financial state. I doubt this eventuality though.

HawaiianStallion said:
Not that tough to emulate PS1 hardware, hell my computer which is about 4 or 5 years old handles the job without a hitch, I'm sure it wouldnt be much problem for the PS3, especially since the PSP is now slated to be able to play PS1 games.

The 100% backward compatibility did come off as a surprise for a lot of people, I think a good amount of them didn't really expect it. Remember that the PS2 could play PS1 games because it had the same hardware, it wasn't powerful enough to emulate it. Of course the PS3 is on a whole different level, but it might not be as easy as it sounds to emulate the whole catalog. And for the PSP I'm downright unconvinced to be honest, not even mentioning all the ports planned or already existing that will be in conflict with this new service, I'm seriously doubting the PSP's capacity to smoothly run some of the more resource-demanding PS1 games without any optimization.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
GriffithZero said:
If anyone is curious, Sony just announced recently that the PS3 will come out in november of this year.

uhmm, that's exactly what Aaz explained a good 7 posts above yours :)

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I believe Aazaelh said that in his recent post.

As for the console war, I don't care.  I'm happy with my PS2, don't need a bunch of people blabbing on about how 'next-gen' their shit is.  Hit any of it with a hammer and you realize it's all just a pile of plastic and metal.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
All you'll need is the Revolution for all the backward compatibility you could ever want
Don't even get me started on the whole backwards compatibility thing. 

BiQ_

" ... "
Sorry to revive this thread again, but something new (and potentially fabulous) has come up: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html In short, they are promising us that PS3 will be region-free when it comes to games!

There are few caveats, however:
- PAL / NTSC issues. Hopefully Sony will not cripple their circuitry too much in capabilities of sending both signals, and all fairly new TV sets (in Europe at least) have been able to handle both of these for some time already
- Different HDTV standards? I don't know anything about them, but if history is any indication, we are still not having any global standards here.
- Both of these issues might make it possible to Game Developers to artificially restrict their games to one TV standard.

-Blu-ray / DVD movie playback is surely still going to be region-locked.
-No information whether or not PS3 would play PS1/PS2 games without region control... or at all, since believing their promises of backwards compatibility at this point is quite a leap of faith in my book. Chances are that PS1/PS2 games won't be region-free with this machine. (Still no Berserk PS2 for gaijins without modchips/fliptops/swapdisks/shenanigans..)

And speaking of modchips, this would surely be a problem for them. After all, now they would lose their only (IMHO) remotely-valid legitimate reason to exist. (Import games)

- And of course, it may very well be that Sony is promising something they don't really plan keeping their word on, trying to persuade customers to wait for their product and not getting a 360 in the meantime... since Microsoft has not mandated region locks but lets game developers decide about them, this at least sounds good. Maybe, just MAYBE producers of this content are growing up and understanding that letting people buy their games somewhere else is not the end of the world. And maybe they are getting a clue when courts (in Australia at least) let modchip industry exist because the import gaming reason.

CnC

Ad Oculos
sony also recently announced they're scrapping the boomerang controller. The new design will prob. be shown at E3

I don't think anyone but Sony ever took that controller too seriously. I can't believe they even made an announcement about it.

personally i think ps3 is even better than xbox 360. i can't wait for ps3 to come out because i'm buying it the first day it comes out already have about 400 dollars saved for when it comes out. oh right.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Nemesis666 said:
personally i think ps3 is even better than xbox 360. i can't wait for ps3 to come out because i'm buying it the first day it comes out already have about 400 dollars saved for when it comes out. oh right.

that was a really long sentence I'm so surprised anyone would buy it immediately considering its going to be at a ridiculous price for a completely brand new system even the PS2 had some issues right at launch not to mention that there aren't that many games at launch you'd be probably be better off buying it right after all the buzz dies down or there are some decent games for it otherwise you'd be stuck with a ridiculously expensive piece of hardware with very few uses for about 6 months or the time it would take to get some decent media that includes blu-ray movies. oh right.

see the thing is, it really doesn't matter when i buy the system as long as i have it. i dont care if it is expensive at first. see what i do with my money and my time is my business, and i can also play the other ps2 games with the system, or if im wrong about it them im wrong about playing other games. the thing is who cares when i buy it or not the only thing thatmatters to me is that i have it.

CnC said:
that was a really long sentence I'm so surprised anyone would buy it immediately considering its going to be at a ridiculous price for a completely brand new system even the PS2 had some issues right at launch not to mention that there aren't that many games at launch you'd be probably be better off buying it right after all the buzz dies down or there are some decent games for it otherwise you'd be stuck with a ridiculously expensive piece of hardware with very few uses for about 6 months or the time it would take to get some decent media that includes blu-ray movies. oh right.

XD

Anyway, I'm not buying either the PS3 or the Xbox360 for awhile.  Perhaps after the prices have settled down to the $150~$200 price range I might get one.  However my eyes are fixated on the Revolution for now. 

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
yota821 said:
XD

Anyway, I'm not buying either the PS3 or the Xbox360 for awhile.  Perhaps after the prices have settled down to the $150~$200 price range I might get one.  However my eyes are fixated on the Revolution for now. 
Not happening. Not while people in the US are willing to go into debt just for their precious PS3 or 360.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I haven't had any interest in the Xbox 360, aside from being able to perv out on rumble roses, I haven't seen a game that impresses me. I definately was dissatisfied with the original Xbox. I don't like halo, I'm not willing to pay for XBL, and I thought Ninja Gaiden was merely a 'good' game, not the game it was hyped up to be. I have a feeling the 360 will not have anything spectacular either.

PS3 is probably something I'll eventually get. I despise sony, and most of their products, but I begrudgingly bought a psx and a ps2 because of their developer support, and more than likely, I'll roll over and buy a Ps3 as well. Simply put, no one can really compete with that kind of support. However, with the estimated pricetag it's going for, I probably will not be getting one untill a year or two after launch.

I don't yet know enough to be dissapointed with revolution, but from what I do know, I'm not very happy. I really wanted HDTV suport. It's probably going to be the only nintendo console we get for the next 5-6 years or so, so it should be able to accomodate technology like HDTV. Not only that, but it sounds like the revolution wont be able to visually compete with the other two consoles. Definately a downer.

In short, it sounds like this console generation promises to be as uninspiring as the current one.

Top Bottom