PS3 and XBOX 360

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Because there's no contest. Interpret that how you will.
That's a little presumptuous considering neither the PS3 or the Revolution are even on the market yet. The Revolution hasn't even been formally unveiled. Just because the Revolution's graphics specs don't meet the ridiculous standards of the PS3 and 360 doesn't mean it won't be able to complete financially. The industry leader is the one who sells the most consoles, and on the whole, can dominate the market with games.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
Or perhaps you can interpret what Vax said as that the Revolution blows the other two out of the water. :carcus:
XD Yeah, perhaps I'm too negative. Maybe that's what Miyamoto meant with his words that they wouldn't be competing with 360 and PS3; that Nintendo has already risen above the competition :guts:

Wereallmad said:
I don't yet know enough to be dissapointed with revolution, but from what I do know, I'm not very happy. I really wanted HDTV suport. It's probably going to be the only nintendo console we get for the next 5-6 years or so, so it should be able to accomodate technology like HDTV. Not only that, but it sounds like the revolution wont be able to visually compete with the other two consoles. Definately a downer.

In short, it sounds like this console generation promises to be as uninspiring as the current one.

The reason Nintendo doesnt support HDTV is because they view it as not being worth the expense, that's one of the main points of the revolution, keeping things from getting too expensive. They are trying to keep development costs down, keep the costs of their games and consoles down, and in general trying to make sure that video game costs sky rocket like the movie industry has.

HDTV is just another expense to be tagged onto game development and its not unlike developers havent complained about it. They're for it, but they do say they have to cut corners to take the extra time and money making sure a game can play in 720p, has AA, and so on.

Not only that but doesnt something like only 5% of the population own an HDTV? That in itself is another thing the revolution is being designed to do, bring in new gamers. Who know's whether its worth it or not but Nintendo isnt going the "future proofing" path of the PS3. So I can see it being an intelligent decision on their part as HDTV's arent worth supporting yet, and might not be for several years with things like the transition to digital for TV hasnt even come yet, and isnt expected till like 2008 - 10.

I figure in the end I'll get the PS3 for my HD needs, but I'll get the revolution for what I hope will be incredible gameplay that it looks like it can pull off.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
HawaiianStallion said:

I hate when people do this. What makes you think explaining nintendo's rational (not that I hadn't heard it already from nintendo themselves. I think it's a load of crap, btw) would change my opinion?

Guess what? I don't care. I don't agree with the decision. I still want HDTV support and am still dissapointed by the fact that nintendo will not be supporting it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
HDTV aka higher resolution has been a mainstay of the gaming indusry. Typically the new generation of consoles selling point has included an increase in graphics potential. Nintendo's not making a very good decision in thinking the graphics mean nothing in the next generation.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Walter said:
XD Yeah, perhaps I'm too negative.  Maybe that's what Miyamoto meant with his words that they wouldn't be competing with 360 and PS3; that Nintendo has already risen above the competition  :guts:
Correct, though I'm not sure Nintendo has so much risen 'above' the competition so much as attempting to compete on a different plane.

I'm hardcore with Playstation so its PS3 no question, I almost got a gamecube last time the new systems came in....but returned it just in time- a good choice I think...

Wereallmad said:
I hate when people do this. What makes you think explaining nintendo's rational (not that I hadn't heard it already from nintendo themselves. I think it's a load of crap, btw) would change my opinion?

Guess what? I don't care. I don't agree with the decision. I still want HDTV support and am still dissapointed by the fact that nintendo will not be supporting it.

Wasnt expecting it to change your opinion one bit, I never expect that to happen over the internet. I was just explaining Nintendo's rationale behind their actions, something you didnt really elaborate as to have have heard.

Chill out, I wasnt trying to berate you or anything.

you also got to look on the bright side for nintendo revolution. there are tose hardcore nintendo freaks out there that will buy any thing nintendo puts out. plus with nintendo not having those ridiculously high prices it makes it easy for parents to buy it for their kids as the first consol for them to try. thus bringing nintendo back in the gaming hunt. thats why i think nintendo is still around and doing good. plus how much money they made in the past.

XBox360 or PS3...I don't know I don't like the line up of the 360 and considering the Xbox(the first one) catalogue nothing let me think that  the next game will be so exciting(too much FPS and not enough really novative game)...it's almost the same with the PS3 but they have the backup of some majors like Capcom/SquareEnix that wont devellop exclusively for Microsoft unless the 360 sell better than the previous Xbox in Japan...
So I prefer the PS3(moreover the Xbox is just a PC)

Anyway like some said the Revolution(don't forget that it is just a codename)is also a nextgen console maybe the only REAL nextgen console... what I mean is that nowadays videogames are just a matter of giga ultra bump mapping texture,HDTV things like the number of pixel etc since the PSX  and the vulgarization of 3D games  there haven't been any revolution in the video game industry PS2,Xbox(Gamecube) and now PS3 and Xbox360 are nothing but update...and the Revolution can lead us to a new way of playing videogames and it's what I call a "next generation" console...

About the HDTV I don't think that it's SO useful even with my granny TV the games I'll play on my "next gen" console will always be more beautiful than the one I play on my PS2 so...
I'm not a Nintendo fan younger I had Sega then a PS a Dreamcast and a PS2 and now...I wait before buying a console because the only novative thing of the last years is the DS...IMO ;)

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Well, I think I'm going to stay out of the next-gen war. This time around I'm just going to stick with my PC for gaming, I think.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Well, if that's how much it costs, I won't be getting a PS3 for a looooong time.

That's old news, and officially that was just the guy's "personal assumption", Sony promptly denied that announcement.

EDIT: And the guy in the article is pretty funny, he shouldn't be directly converting € into $ to guess the console's price because if you remove the taxes, it'd end up being between $499 and $599 in the USA. The original info being that the price would be "around 500€".

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
I don't think it it will affect many people on this board, but it damaged Sony's reputation with more broken promises. :miura:

can't say I'm surprised. I still haven't heard they're going into production.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
PlayStation 3 Euro launch delayed.

Way to go. Got a problem? Ok, let's sacrifice Europe! Since we're talking about Sony being cheap bastards, the PS3 will be sold without a HDMI cable, even in its better, $600 version. People will have to fork $20 on their own aside from the console to play in HD.

CnC said:
I still haven't heard they're going into production.

We all know they won't produce as much as they said they would anyway. We're reaching a time when they can't just bullshit their way around anymore, so I hope for them they have something tangible to back up at least a part of their promises.

Oh yeah and Assassin's Creed is coming out on PC and Xbox 360 for those that don't know it yet.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Way to go. Got a problem? Ok, let's sacrifice Europe! Since we're talking about Sony being cheap bastards, the PS3 will be sold without a HDMI cable, even in its better, $600 version. People will have to fork $20 on their own aside from the console to play in HD.

Lol. Wtf. No HDMI cable?! whats the point? its bad enough they've got no apparent way for component or dvi out, apparently you HAVE to have HDMI. bah

As far as the global markets go I don't see them postponing the Japanese and American markets anytime soon. Europe gets the shaft once again.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
As far as the global markets go I don't see them postponing the Japanese and American markets anytime soon. Europe gets the shaft once again.

Well don't be too confident either way, according to the International Tribune Herald:

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

Yep, that's not much. PS3 enthusiasts better pre-order it now. Even Ken Kutaragi admits the problems:

Although Sony had initially counted on shipping 4 million PlayStation 3 machines worldwide by the end of the year, that will likely fall to 2 million

Way to go. And losing the European market (as well as pissing off European players) might be a bigger problem than what they're thinking.

Top Bottom