The Dark Knight Rises

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Skull Knight said:
It was simply...okay....by no means even close to great.....but it doesn't have to be black or white....there can exist a gray area.

Yeah yeah, the gray area with no standards.

Skull Knight said:
As for the audience....not if they said it was in the 95 percentile! :ganishka:

Uh huh, and what they actually said was "no thanks" to seeing it.

Skull Knight said:
Hopefully you can see that by leaving just a few words out of that sentence, one would "jump" to such a conclusion.

Only one did, and misconstrued things to these extremes without even inquiring:

Skull Knight said:
to say the film is the MOST artistically successful is QUITE an exaggeration.
Skull Knight said:
to say that it stands on the same level as the cinematic classics is just ridiculous

Agreed, and I didn't, hopefully you can see that now. So, if that's all cleared up...

Griffith said:
This movie, the follow up to most artistically/critically/financially successful comic book film in history, is probably going to be in the 95th percentile of super hero movies, or even movies in general

Why are you arguing this? I wasn't jumping to an extreme, this is what you said...it wasn't jumping to conclusions or misconstruing the meaning.....this was not a vague statement. I shouldn't have to inquire what the meaning is, you should be able to vocalize it correctly to begin with if you meant something different. If you were a bit clearer with your wording I wouldn't have said what I did. I responded based on what you wrote, simple as that. No need to get so worked up over it, instead of trying to attack my credibility, perhaps you should own up to not fleshing out your opinion in the exact the way you meant it. Now can we please put this behind us?

Griffith

Skull Knight said:
Griffith said:
This movie, the follow up to most artistically/critically/financially successful comic book film in history, is probably going to be in the 95th percentile of super hero movies, or even movies in general

Why are you arguing this? I wasn't jumping to an extreme, this is what you said...

Because this is a fascinating trip into our minds. Let me phrase this in a way you'll apparently understand:

You are right, I don't know why I'm being this way or how to respond maturely sometimes, I read my post again and I see what you mean, this whole thing was really stupid and I'm sorry for acting like an idiot.

:troll:

Anyway, you're more than welcome to stop this nonsense yourself, because it's becoming increasingly ludicrous. You basically just highlighted how you rewrote my post in your head. I stated The Dark Knight was the most successful combination of those things in a super hero movie, then said The Dark Knight Rises (separate movie, separate statement) will probably be in 95th percentile of movies in general, as in movies coming out (which you actually acknowledged in your initial post, but for some reason didn't make the connection with mine). So, you're literally highlighting and combining different parts of different statements about different movies I'm making into a new and different statement. I can't believe I have to explain that there's a problem with this. That's not a comprehension mishap, that's a comprehension issue (mixed with some misplaced sense of "credibility").

Also, I had already cleared up any inherent confusion in my post, what more do you want? An apology for you being the one person that didn't get it but feels that's not fair? Why are you arguing this? You're opportunistically nitpicking all my gracious not-just-telling-you-fuck-yourself replies like a jerk, that's why I'm arguing. If I'm getting worked up it's because I'm tired of being diplomatic with someone that made an obnoxiously clueless reply to a post of mine and is being a stubborn pest about it, engaging me in a full-on Internet pissing contest, "OH BUT I HOPE YOU CAN SEE I WASN'T WRONG IF ONE RANDOMLY HIGHLIGHTS DIFFERENT WORDS IN YOUR POST AND USES THEM TO FORM A NEW SENTENCE, THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID FANBOY LEARN TO TALK LOL 95TH PERCENTILE HURRRR!"

Yeah, please do shut up with that; if you don't actually have anything to say here about The Dark Knight Rises then stop shitting the thread before it becomes a legitimate issue beyond just annoying me (a capital offense in itself at certain times of day). I don't care if you reply or not, agree to disagree or say you haven't changed your mind at all, just don't keep this shitshow going beyond this credibility crippling conclusion. I don't see it your way, and if you still don't see it mine, fine, we've both made our statements and it should be over (and if you're otherwise sore about any of my playful insults, I will happily issue you an official apology upon request, notarized on SK.net letterhead and everything =).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
My point though is that this isn't a good movie on the superhero scale, but just as a film. The fact that it was an "average" adult movie that had legitimate critic/award show buzz (to the point it actually spurred the expansion of the best picture category) instead of being something half for kids is significant. It's like someone tried to make a serious crime thriller like Heat but with fucking Batman.

Yeah I know, but even as a film I didn't find it all that great. I don't really want to argue about it because I really don't have strong feelings on the issue, but even taking the Batman aspect out I wouldn't rate it very highly, despite having some cool moments. In no small part because it's uneven (with the third act most notably). I guess part of the issue for me might be the very fact he attempted to make a serious crime drama out of a Batman film. Or that he did so but didn't exploit Batman as well as he could have (why not push the "detective" aspect more?).

Griffith

Oh yeah, I had already further clarified my position in that post too, Jesus... nope, never mind, moving on, my bad... :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
Yeah I know, but even as a film I didn't find it all that great. I don't really want to argue about it because I really don't have strong feelings on the issue.

WHAT!? THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! :mozgus: :daiba:

Aazealh said:
but even taking the Batman aspect out I wouldn't rate it very highly, despite having some cool moments. In no small part because it's uneven (with the third act most notably). I guess part of the issue for me might be the very fact he attempted to make a serious crime drama out of a Batman film.

To me one hand sort of washes the other, it wouldn't be that great a crime drama without the Batman stuff bolstering it, and the Batman stuff wouldn't be so great in a more traditional super hero movie (I guess that's the point, Batman built on a "serious" foundation). It's like musical comedy, if you're good at both but not great at either, put 'em together and nobody will mind. Though, had it not had Batman but Ledger still played basically the same part as a psychotic domestic terrorist, I think it would have been a memorable thriller in its own right (a cult favorite). He'd have probably been matched against Denzel Washington in that scenario; sounds like an entertaining movie. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Or that he did so but didn't exploit Batman as well as he could have (why not push the "detective" aspect more?).

Haha, of course. But it's more important for Batman to be an idealistic symbol or counter-revolutionary or whatever. :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Though, had it not had Batman but Ledger still played basically the same part as a psychotic domestic terrorist, I think it would have been a memorable thriller in its own right (a cult favorite). He'd have probably been matched against Denzel Washington in that scenario; sounds like an entertaining movie. :ganishka:

That's pretty much my point I guess. It kind of feels to me like some of the lackluster Batman/Wayne parts lessen the cooler Joker scenes. Remove Bats and it's almost-retired police chief Oldman racing against the clock to stop madman terrorist Ledger from wreaking havoc in Chicago. I wouldn't mind that.

Griffith said:
Haha, of course. But it's more important for Batman to be an idealistic symbol or counter-revolutionary or whatever. :iva:

Yeeeeaaaahhhh. Hope Nolan gets to direct V for Vendetta 2: Revengeance next.

H

hellrasinbrasin

tdkr600.jpg

01.A Storm Is Coming
02.On Thin Ice
03.Gotham's Reckoning
04.Mind If I Cut In?
05.Underground Army
06.Born In Darkness
07.The Fire Rises
08.Nothing Out There
09.Despair
10.Fear Will Find You
11.Why Do We Fall?
12.Death By Exile
13.Imagine The Fire
14.Necessary Evil
15.Rise

Aazealh said:
I guess part of the issue for me might be the very fact he attempted to make a serious crime drama out of a Batman film. Or that he did so but didn't exploit Batman as well as he could have (why not push the "detective" aspect more?).

I feel the exact same way. That's why we have the Arkham game series =/

H

hellrasinbrasin

The Dark Knight Rises Score Sample
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91517

------------------

The Dark Knight Returns Promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DBljlaB9VkM

Haha brilliant. That guy can run.

EDIT 07/07

Watched this trailer while sitting in for The Amazing Spider-Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XnOr9aSI7M

Looks fantastic ... and the music used in this one reminds me of Inception A LOT.

H

hellrasinbrasin

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/16/review-batman-series-ends-as-epic-letdown/

The person is bashing the film because it was to dark, to much plot and too much dialogue.

Read her review and it's her opinion. A movie doesn't have to appeal to everyone, so big deal. Bad publicity is good publicity too, her article got over 450 comments. Do people even read good reviews these days? I wonder.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What's the point of an advanced review for a movie everyone is going to see regardless? :???:

Walter said:
What's the point of an advanced review for a movie everyone is going to see regardless? :???:

More page hits. If people read reviews for AAA games they've pre-ordered anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for hyped up movies they plan on seeing anyway. Even better, if you offend the public by badmouthing it, then you'll get even more page views and a ton of user comments. Sadly, articles don't need to be good, they just need to be seen.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:

Marketing. Warner Bros is confident in what the feedback will be, so there's really no reason to wait on it when they can hold a press screening and start generating word of mouth immediately. Some people still allow their opinion to be greatly influenced by critics too.

Probably a drop in the pool, this thing is practically going to print money, but there's no motivation not to do it.

Rush Limbaugh said:
Have you heard this new movie, the Batman movie, what is it, The Dark Knight Lights Up or whatever the name is. That's right, Dark Knight Rises, Lights Up, same thing. Do you know the name of the villain in this movie? Bane. The villain in The Dark Knight Rises is named Bane, B-a-n-e. What is the name of the venture capital firm that Romney ran and around which there's now this make-believe controversy? Bain. The movie has been in the works for a long time. The release date's been known, summer 2012 for a long time. Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire-breathing four-eyed whatever-it-is villain in this movie is named Bain?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XAKTApGxZU#t=11m35s

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Ebert gave the film 3/4 stars. He gave Prometheus 4/4.

I don't have to see DKR to know it will be better than Prometheus. Ebert needs to be put out to pasture or something.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Johnstantine said:
Ebert gave the film 3/4 stars. He gave Prometheus 4/4.

I don't have to see DKR to know it will be better than Prometheus. Ebert needs to be put out to pasture or something.

Dude we know you hated Prometheus, but what the fuck it has to do with this movie? Two totally different types of movies. Compare it to The Avengers or something.

NightCrawler said:
Dude we know you hated Prometheus, but what the fuck it has to do with this movie? Two totally different types of movies. Compare it to The Avengers or something.

Whats wrong with the comparison again? Both are summer blockbusters. Both have budgets 7-10 times your average film.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
NightCrawler said:

No, I'll compare it the way I did. Why? Because Ebert has lost his fucking mind on how he grades things, so I see no problem with bashing it.

Aren't reviews subjective anyway? He recently gave Brave 3 stars but The Amazing Spider-Man 3.5. It isn't just now, back in 84 he gave 2010 a 3 star rating. I disagree on all three ratings, for the sake of discussion. Who cares?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Guys, guys. This fight has already been fought! http://youtu.be/m2U6E8jOyn8?t=3m6s

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Aren't reviews subjective anyway? He recently gave Brave 3 stars but The Amazing Spider-Man 3.5. It isn't just now, back in 84 he gave 2010 a 3 star rating. I disagree on all three ratings, for the sake of discussion. Who cares?

I care because I currently have nothing else to bitch about.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:

Compare Prometheus to the Avengers? Well, Prometheus had better visuals and Fassbender, but otherwise... :troll:

Anyway, I heard this is the movie people deserve, but not the one they need right now. I've been offered tickets for tomorrow night, so I might have an early review if my brain isn't turned to mush in the process (midnight show, slow 3 hour movie, work a 6am).

All the early reviews are trashing it for being too cumbersome and pretentious. Sign me up. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom