Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
hellrasinbrasin said:
No matter how you spin it no one will be completely happy with Mass Effect 3.
At this point, it's not a matter of people being happy with ME3 or not. The entire principle lies that Bioware didn't stick with what was originally planned. If people had issues with whatever this ending is? Fine, moving on... Wait till the next installment (and please don't tell me that their won't be one. That would be pure denial). This isn't the first time a tittle this popular has "let down the fans". I don't remember Kojima re-writing MGS2; but instead he heard the fans and improved with MGS3. As much disappointment ME3 had upon me originally (demo), who am I to say what should be changed? Who are you?

A funny thing happened today, I happened to be at a gamestop and off course ME3 was the primary conversation. After hearing 4 to 5 people talking trash about the ending (no spoilers were given) one of the employees asked them "So what's the Lazarus Project?" No answer. "What's a Specter?" Answer: "Some kind of soldier?". The employee immediately asked them if they even chose to play ME3 with the full conversation option and they all said no. My point? The ignorants obviously had no idea what Mass Effect was about. And I can only wonder how many of these people have signed this petition. Don't get me wrong though, I am not implying that you yourself don't know Mass Effect, but a situation like this one has to wonder who's opinion deserves credibility and who doesn't. I'm on the final mission currently, I'll be done by tomorrow, I sure hope this ending is as horrible as they claim it to be. Otherwise I'm making a petition: "Fans that don't like having other "fans" changing the story". :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hellrasinbrasin said:
Which is why I can't jump in and spell anything out as it relates to the end of the game because the embargo is still good until April.

Trust me, that won't be necessary. :griffnotevil:

hellrasinbrasin said:
I understand what you're saying
Griffith as I understand the complaints from the other side of the table. No matter how you spin it no one will be completely happy with Mass Effect 3.

Ok, but I'm not trying to spin anything or deny valid criticism. I'm looking forward to making some myself (when are we allowed to talk about the ending again? =). I've just been pointing out that the extremity of the reaction in some quarters is totally absurd and unrepresentative of... well, reality, let alone the game. There's really no denying that. If anything, the "sky is falling" sentiment is the spin, and I'm hoping reasonable players will balance that with some more thoughtful critiques. They don't have to be positive, just not foaming at the mouth.

I'm really looking forward to Aaz's review since he's played ME like a dozen of times, appreciates ME2 while acknowledging its shortcomings, and will feel more strongly about this than I do one way or another. His take is going to be a telling barometer.

Nomad said:
A funny thing happened today, I happened to be at a gamestop and off course ME3 was the primary conversation. After hearing 4 to 5 people talking trash about the ending (no spoilers were given) one of the employees asked them "So what's the Lazarus Project?" No answer. "What's a Specter?" Answer: "Some kind of soldier?". The employee immediately asked them if they even chose to play ME3 with the full conversation option and they all said no. My point? The ignorants obviously had no idea what Mass Effect was about. And I can only wonder how many of these people have signed this petition.

Yeah, a fine example of a self-perpetuating notion. At least they've actually played the game! BTW, from what I read of that petition it isn't actually so bad, basically just asking for more a la the Shadow Broker DLC. And hey, they're raising money for charity, now that's some responsible gaming advocacy (assuming there's no scandal =).

Also, the Zero Punctuation review is up. Don't watch it unless you've beaten the game, obviously.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Finished the game. I think I am more enraged with the fact that people are either stupid, ignorant or just flat out retarded. I loved the ending. There are quite a few things that I did not liked. But when it comes down to the core of the story? I liked it. In fact I'm going to pass it again tonight to suck in the experience. I don't know if this entire petition or complaint changed my perspective given that I had my shields up for a bad ending? But it seems to me that most people just flat out didn't get the ending or purpose at. all.

Oburi

All praise Grail
How do choose a full dialog tree? I remember hearing about being able to choose "rpg mode" or "action mode" and whatnot but I never got that option. I just imported my save and got started.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, if you import a save the game knows you're not just one of the shooter meatheads they're trying to mass market to here (but you can still change it in the options I believe). The auto dialogue should be all renegade with added alien racism and allusions to terrorism. :ganishka:

I hear there's going to be a DLC for a multiplayer football simulator. Better make friends with the Krogan. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah, if you import a save the game knows you're not just one of the shooter meatheads they're trying to mass market to here (but you can still change it in the options I believe). The auto dialogue should be all renegade with added alien racism and allusions to terrorism. :ganishka:
I've read that some of the renegade options in ME3 are just hilarious and horrifying. I can't wait to try them out :ubik: For all the big choices, I've been Paragon just out of my own good heart.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
As someone who hasn't played any of the Mass Effect games, objectively speaking, all the hoopla surrounding 3 has become.... annoying.
Agreed. But speaking as someone who hasn't yet beaten Mass Effect 3, and being somewhat of a fan of the series, at this point whatever happens in the ending won't even bother me that much. The game so far has been pretty fantastic. Even if it ends with a Reaper ship opening and clowns coming out of it, I'd probably be happy with it :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
Agreed. But speaking as someone who hasn't yet beaten Mass Effect 3, and being somewhat of a fan of the series, at this point whatever happens in the ending won't even bother me that much. The game so far has been pretty fantastic. Even if it ends with a Reaper ship opening and clowns coming out of it, I'd probably be happy with it :guts:
Walter, I'm willing to bet that you will enjoy it. Maybe even like it ;).

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
:mozgus:

random guy at school talking to his friend: Do you care at all of the spoilers for ME3?
His friend: I don't care about the series at all
*I immedietly walk away, but I could still faintly hear*
Random guy: *spoils the end*

WHY WOULD HE SAY ANYTHING IF HIS FRIEND DIDN'T CARE!!!

:judo:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Slime_Beherit said:

random guy at school talking to his friend: Do you care at all of the spoilers for ME3?
His friend: I don't care about the series at all
*I immedietly walk away, but I could still faintly hear*
Random guy: *spoils the end*

WHY WOULD HE SAY ANYTHING IF HIS FRIEND DIDN'T CARE!!!

:judo:

Same thing happened to me when I was walking through a supermarket. Overheard a spoiler that wasn't too big but just hearing the few words that were said had me, well, spoiled.

While we don't live in a ME3 spoiler free bubble...that sucks guys. I have only been playing the MP in this game with people I know. So obviously, there are no spoilers. However, the other night I was bored and decided to play with strangers. It suddenly dawned on me that some cretin could drop major spoilers at any second. I shut off my console.

Between the natural anticipation to seeing how it all ends coupled with this 'ending controversy'...fuck me I'm curious.

Scanning every system until 100% and trying to do every side mission makes me wonder just how long it will be until I see the end. :daiba:

H

hellrasinbrasin

It looks like Bioware caved into the demands of an army of Butt Hurt fans. Look for community shenanigans and complete Analysis for both endings in April.

:mozgus: :ubik:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I keep thinking im at the end but then it just keeps going. I must be taking it very slow because im at 40 hours and still not done. I tried playing multiplayer but quit before one round was over. Couldn't get into it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I tried playing multiplayer but quit before one round was over. Couldn't get into it.
I didn't like it my first few rounds, because I was playing on Silver. Playing on Bronze got me acquainted with the pacing of the game, and now I'm pretty good, and really enjoying it. I've probably played for about 3 hours, and I'm level 16. Mostly play as Vanguard.

Walter said:
I didn't like it my first few rounds, because I was playing on Silver. Playing on Bronze got me acquainted with the pacing of the game, and now I'm pretty good, and really enjoying it. I've probably played for about 3 hours, and I'm level 16. Mostly play as Vanguard.

You let me down because you play on PC and not with Aaz and I. Pfsh.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
While I agree with you that fans should not hijack creative control, I'm glad that you're also presenting the other side of this in that Bioware kind of brought this upon themselves. You can look back at interviews and find many quotes about how Mass Effect fans "basically co-wrote the series with us" and other such stuff. With how the games have been repeatedly stressed to be about your Shepard and your choices, they really shouldn't be so surprised when everyone gets upset that their game ends up the same way.

I think they cozied up to the community too much and, combined with a slight feeling of infallibility, basked in the praise without considering the negative effects. This is where the guy at the end of Fanboys turns to his friend and asks, "What if it sucks?" :slan:

Walter said:
Even if it ends with a Reaper ship opening and clowns coming out of it, I'd probably be happy with it :guts:

I'm looking forward to see if this holds true for you. I know a handful of people who've said that nothing could have prepared them for how "WTF" they felt at the end. Like, their imaginations weren't capable of predicting it. :ganishka: But mostly I'm in agreement with Griff...Aaz's Official Verdict of Truth can't come soon enough.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'll be finishing the game tonight. Can't wait to see what all the controversy is about. All the people who I've talked to in real life seem to be fine with it, yet everything I read online says it's terrible. Weird. Also finally got that day 1 dlc. Walter was right, the mission itself is just whatever but holy the dialog and info you get :isidro:

Top Bottom