Status of Berserk's Pre-publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The current status of Berserk's Pre-publication is: Unknown

This thread is devoted to the schedule of the publication (in volume format) and episodic pre-publication (in Young Animal) of Berserk. All such talk should take place in this thread in order to avoid digressions in the individual episode threads. Those threads are reserved for literary discussion of each issue's content.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the information Heiji!

I guess Miura may really go hands-on with the new anime season... and/or wants to take his time for what's coming next in the story.

P.S. I'm thinking of making a dedicated thread for publication announcements so that in the future episode threads can better cater to the episodes themselves.

Well, im not surprised as i expected this since the end of this first season. Last time the same thing had happened. The new anime had been announced and Berserk went on a break. Not only did it come back alongside the anime, but also a new Volume was released, hence Volume 39 being already confirmed for next year.

Can't say that i like what Hakusensha is doing, because i seriously don't care at all for the anime. It affecting the Mangas shedule is kinda pissing me off if im being honest, but their way of approaching this is pretty understandable viewing it from a marketing standpoint.

Nonethless though, i can't wait for this episode. :ubik:

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
This is certainly a lot earlier than I anticipated, and it's a shame we won't get episodes till December like last time. But if Aaz is right about taking the time to work with the anime, I can't fault the logic. It seems to be pulling a decent crowd, and it will pay to have the second season be, you know...good.

Mangetsu said:
Last time the same thing had happened. The new anime had been announced and Berserk went on a break. Not only did it come back alongside the anime, but also a new Volume was released, hence Volume 39 being already confirmed for next year.

So the Hakusensha editor is telling Miura, "take you're break now, so by the time this new show comes around we can publish a constant stream of episodes to keep up with it."? Definitely seems possible. But I would think it would be better to start releasing the episodes now. considering that the new viewers have run out of show material and will likely turn to the original source. Either way, i'm not sure how I feel about Miura being suppressed from releasing work by somebody else.

Squiddot said:
So the Hakusensha editor is telling Miura, "take you're break now, so by the time this new show comes around we can publish a constant stream of episodes to keep up with it."? Definitely seems possible. But I would think it would be better to start releasing the episodes now. considering that the new viewers have run out of show material and will likely turn to the original source. Either way, i'm not sure how I feel about Miura being suppressed from releasing work by somebody else.

Not quite like that. Generally, when publication goes on a break it does't mean that Miura does. In several interviews he has talked about how he is constantly working, almost never taking holidays and i don't think that he is doing that now either.

He just works at his own pace.When it comes to the publishing part though, it is all in the hands of Hakusensha. From their perspective, launching the Manga alongside the anime makes the most sense. Not only would the magazine carry news about the ongoing anime, but also include the Manga which goes along pretty perfectly. Miura keeps on creating while the Magazine deals with all the other stuff of promoting both the Manga & the Anime. And when it all starts, they have enough episodes to release them on a regular shedule.

If this is because Miura needs to plan out the story, draw more pages, refine his art, or whatever else, then I respect it. I'm disappointed that we won't be getting six new episodes like we did last year, but I'll take what we got. It was a great ride while it lasted, and I'll be rubbing my hands in anticipation for when it continues. And hopefully, for when Casca returns. The fact that I'm so eager for more is proof positive that Berserk has not lost its touch.

If this is a decision made by Hakusensha to be used as a marketing stunt for that shit stain they call an anime, then the anime can go fuck itself even harder than it has before. I could ignore it safely enough otherwise, but if it's having any effect on the manga, then I'm always going to feel its sting, regardless of whether or not I actually watch it.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
I guess Miura may really go hands-on with the new anime season... and/or wants to take his time for what's coming next in the story.

Both of them could be plausible. The first one I could understand since it was a mess of a season and he might want more say in it?

I'd put my money on the later considering it'll probably touch the curing of Casca and I can image we're gonna be in for a lot of incredible artwork and story, so imo it's for the story. (I rather think that then him working on the next season)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't really matter what the reason for the hiatus is. Personally, I think the consistency of recent releases and the knowledge of when the series will be coming back has been great for fans. My only regret is that I wish we'd gotten a solid 6 episodes this time, like in 2015. That would have helped establish a feeling of confidence about what to expect from the schedule. Four in 2016 is a bit of a bummer, but we've had worse.

Prior to 2015, we would often be in limbo during hiatuses, with no idea how long they would last. Many of us would check every two weeks to see if there was a preview for Berserk's return in Young Animal. That period of uncertainty could last between a month to a year. But now we know when Berserk is coming back, and whether the break is attributed to the anime or Miura's own production schedule is inconsequential.

At least we know that we are not in control of our own destiny. :void:

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
At least we know that we are not in control of our own destiny. :void:

Could it be said that it's controlled by some transcendental entity or law?

But you're right. It's always nice to know when it's gonna resume. I've never been bothered that much by the breaks anyway and I have a feeling we'll always have a schedule similar to the ones we got recently aka between 3 to 6 episode back to back then a tiny break. Works for me.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I can't help but be disappointed, considering where we are in the story, but like Walter said, at least we know when it's coming back. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I can't help but be disappointed, considering where we are in the story, but like Walter said, at least we know when it's coming back. :serpico:

I recommend you to take the view that these hiatuses are what it takes in order for the story to not just meet our highest expectations, but continually surpass them. Each one of these episodes will forever be a masterpiece. When considered on that scale, the six months it'll take for them to come out shouldn't bother us.

It's not too long a break which's nice and agree with you Walter ^_^.

Having said that, episode 331 and on up until now has been a treasure of information that I find myself going back to often, re-reading it over and over with puella's translations. This break will personally give me some time to read the last 5 episodes without rushing into em and re-listen their corresponding podcasts.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Well despite this news, I find myself even more excited about the new episode. I feel like we might get a pretty exciting cliffhanger, or a lot of information to leave us speculating on during the break. And like Griff said at the end of last year, 8(ish) months? No problem! I've felt so spoiled (bad anime aside) these last few months, I almost feel like I need a break myself!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I have to echo your sentiments, Delta! While I was initially bummed to find out about the hiatus, I realized that this is an opportunity to review everything from the past several episodes and try to clear up any misconceptions, appreciate more of the detail, and listen to some of the podcasts again (I spent a lot of time trying to talk over Aaz instead of listening to what he was saying :slan: ). There's a lot of info to ruminate on!

The bittersweet thing is that with every crop of new episodes, Berserk comes closer and closer to ending. I think I prefer hiatuses full of speculation and discussion over thinking, "I miss the days when we'd be looking forward to new Berserk!" :sad:

I wanted to suggest such a thread but was afraid of sounding like the annoying guys that only care for that :puck: It's only because I have crap memory and have been busy.

Anyway, thanks!

I'm not bothered by the hiatus, I've waited a lot longer for Berserk releases than this, this is nothing. I have very high expectations for when it returns, and I doubt Miura will disappoint.

Here's to hoping Dark Horse drops Volume 38 around the holidays to help hold me over until Berserk returns!

jackson_hurley

N7Paladin said:
Here's to hoping Dark Horse drops Volume 38 around the holidays to help hold me over until Berserk returns!

I don't want to burst your holydays bubble but last I checked on dark horse (around 2 weeks ago) no volume 38 was announced before 2017.. Sad, but true so far.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
I don't mind this upcoming hiatus. He's given so much these past few months that have exceeded what I thought would happen during this period in time. He was very straight to the point.

I'm happy enough that 347 is coming and could reveal game-changing information for us. This hiatus will give us plenty of time to discuss and theorize, until which I'm sure will be even more amazing plot changing episodes to come soon after.

Berserk 2017 better do well to fill in my Berserk gap. I haven't lost too much hope in it yet. Plus the musou game will be out that time too :guts:

A little sad weren't able to get 6 episodes this year. But like others have said if this what it takes for Miura to maintain (if not improve) the quality of Berserk's story and/or art that's perfectly acceptable. Also having an estimated return date does a lot to make a hiatus much easier to wait through.

jackson_hurley said:
I don't want to burst your holydays bubble but last I checked on dark horse (around 2 weeks ago) no volume 38 was announced before 2017.. Sad, but true so far.

I figured as much, but one can always hope. :serpico:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom