Author Topic: What brand of pet food do you use?  (Read 669 times)

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
What brand of pet food do you use?
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
I have a cat who is very elegant and smart. :guts: He's been eating Royal Canin kibbles since he was young. I've tried other brands but they were all refused.
When I ask people around me, the most popular pet food brand seems to be Purina. That has made me curious to know what brands are popular around the world.

Offline Fancypantaloons

Re: What brand of pet food do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
My dog eats Royal Canin, the German Shepherd Adult type (because she is one). She used to eat another brand when she was younger but I can't remember the name.

I'm from Argentina, and we have the same brands you mentioned, and many more I'm sure. These brands are from USA, right? Are these brands in most countries around the world? Now I wonder if there is a brand of pet food here that only exists here. I never questioned myself this, this is new.
I think every house with cats needs a corner where it's just a hellhole. A place for them to shit, eat, and just create a den of evil. In that context, this food tower is like a beacon of civilization.

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
My dog eats Royal Canin, the German Shepherd Adult type (because she is one). She used to eat another brand when she was younger but I can't remember the name.

I'm from Argentina, and we have the same brands you mentioned, and many more I'm sure. These brands are from USA, right? Are these brands in most countries around the world? Now I wonder if there is a brand of pet food here that only exists here. I never questioned myself this, this is new.

Royal Canin is French but owned by Mars Inc. (US company). Mars also owns Sheba and Whiskas. Hill's is American (and owned by Colgate), Orijen is Canadian, Purina is a US company but is the property of NestlÚ (Swiss group). Like for humans food, most pet food brands are owned by a few giant companies. But I've heard that most wet food is produced in Thailand by subcontractors.

I don't know much about dogs. I especially wonder how many kibbles they consume for a month. My cat consumes around 1,3 kg per month.

Offline Fancypantaloons

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
Come on, dudes. We wanna know what your pets eat!
I think every house with cats needs a corner where it's just a hellhole. A place for them to shit, eat, and just create a den of evil. In that context, this food tower is like a beacon of civilization.

Offline Username has been taken

• Of the Interstice
  • My post our worse
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
Come on, dudes. We wanna know what your pets eat!

You really wanna know well its eats drumroll please nothing because I dont got a pet  :ganishka:
bang

Offline Delta Phi

• Sylph Sword
  • Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
  • Grail Serpico!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:46:07 AM »
My dog has been eating Taste of the Wild for almost his entire life (he'll be 8 in a few days!). I think he ate Purina when he was a puppy, but we switched to Taste of the Wild shortly after we transitioned to adult dog food. We've tried different recipes within the same brand, but he always seems to enjoy the waterfowl the most, which is pretty unsurprising considering he's a yellow lab.

Offline Fancypantaloons

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:21 AM »
You really wanna know well its eats drumroll please nothing because I dont got a pet  :ganishka:

Don't say that about Puck!  :puck:  He is your pet and you should feed him.

My dog has been eating Taste of the Wild for almost his entire life (he'll be 8 in a few days!). I think he ate Purina when he was a puppy, but we switched to Taste of the Wild shortly after we transitioned to adult dog food. We've tried different recipes within the same brand, but he always seems to enjoy the waterfowl the most, which is pretty unsurprising considering he's a yellow lab.

Well that's a brand we don't have here, it has a cool name. We have Purina though. What about the prices? Is Taste of the Wild an expensive one? Is it more expensive than Purina? I kinda want to know the differences in prices of pet food in your part of the world.

Wish him happy birthday for me when the day comes, Delta Phi.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 02:10:54 AM »
We have two cats. They have access all day to dry food, Purina One, but it's in a contraption where they have to bat at it with their paw to get more food, and mostly they're too lazy to bother with it. I usually have to help them do it. They're pretty pathetic. Their primary meal is this Sheba wet cat food which we give them twice a day, one gross sludge filled plastic cup each. They love the salmon flavored one, but we hate it because it reeks.

We settled on these brands after filtering by these key factors: what they'll tolerate, won't throw up later, won't cause horrendous-smelling poop, and is affordable.

This is the most I've ever thought or talked about cat food  :farnese:

Offline Fancypantaloons

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:03:16 AM »
but it's in a contraption where they have to bat at it with their paw to get more food, and mostly they're too lazy to bother with it. I usually have to help them do it. They're pretty pathetic.

That's the thing about cats. It's their way or no way, JosÚ!

This kind of "device" always got my attention, but it seems kinda ugly to have in the house, idk.

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 04:28:29 AM »
Well that's a brand we don't have here, it has a cool name. We have Purina though. What about the prices? Is Taste of the Wild an expensive one? Is it more expensive than Purina? I kinda want to know the differences in prices of pet food in your part of the world.
Taste of the Wild (TOW) is available here in Europe. I think it's more expensive than Purina products except Purina Pro Plan.
Supposing we have five pricing levels (1:vey high, 2: high, 3: middle, 4: low, 5: very low), TOW belongs to 3.
But this rating is based on the European market.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
This kind of "device" always got my attention, but it seems kinda ugly to have in the house, idk.

Offline Delta Phi

• Sylph Sword
  • Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
  • Grail Serpico!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »

As Puella indicated, it's a bit more expensive than just standard Purina. I think we were spending about $30 on Purina, but $50 on a comparatively sized bag of Taste of the Wild. ToW is grain-free and comes highly recommended so we felt alright spending the extra cash.

Wish him happy birthday for me when the day comes, Delta Phi.

I certainly will! :serpico:

Offline Fancypantaloons

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
For some reason I find this very interesting, so thanks for sharing your information about your pets' food. I would like to give you more info about the brands from here, with rating and all, but I should investigate first. Someday!

I'm sorry but this goes to my signature  :ganishka:

Offline TheBranded1

• The Terminator
  • Of the Vortex
  • I'll be back.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »
Been working with a lady for the last 4 years once a month. She sells raw meat, since she believes is better for dogs and cats. Mostly is ground meat of beef, chicken, Turkey, and lamb. Also, some tripe, enzymes and fish. I know on average, costumers spend $200 a month to feed their pets.

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »
Been working with a lady for the last 4 years once a month. She sells raw meat, since she believes is better for dogs and cats. Mostly is ground meat of beef, chicken, Turkey, and lamb. Also, some tripe, enzymes and fish.
Interesting! To my knowledge, this kind of food is called BARF in the market. Raw meat can be good for animals but I heard it's very hard to formulate a proper nutritional balance with it.

I know on average, costumers spend $200 a month to feed their pets.
In my own experience, it's not that surprising. :zodd: But the prices of pet food are a rip off, considering the quality and the ingredients. :puck:
I've thought about getting into the pet food/accessory business before actually. I have many ideas...