Author Topic: What brand of pet food do you use?  (Read 116 times)

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
What brand of pet food do you use?
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
I have a cat who is very elegant and smart. :guts: He's been eating Royal Canin kibbles since he was young. I've tried other brands but they were all refused.
When I ask people around me, the most popular pet food brand seems to be Purina. That has made me curious to know what brands are popular around the world.

Offline Fancypantaloons

Re: What brand of pet food do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
My dog eats Royal Canin, the German Shepherd Adult type (because she is one). She used to eat another brand when she was younger but I can't remember the name.

I'm from Argentina, and we have the same brands you mentioned, and many more I'm sure. These brands are from USA, right? Are these brands in most countries around the world? Now I wonder if there is a brand of pet food here that only exists here. I never questioned myself this, this is new.

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
Re: What brand of pet food do you use?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
My dog eats Royal Canin, the German Shepherd Adult type (because she is one). She used to eat another brand when she was younger but I can't remember the name.

I'm from Argentina, and we have the same brands you mentioned, and many more I'm sure. These brands are from USA, right? Are these brands in most countries around the world? Now I wonder if there is a brand of pet food here that only exists here. I never questioned myself this, this is new.

Royal Canin is French but owned by Mars Inc. (US company). Mars also owns Sheba and Whiskas. Hill's is American (and owned by Colgate), Orijen is Canadian, Purina is a US company but is the property of Nestlé (Swiss group). Like for humans food, most pet food brands are owned by a few giant companies. But I've heard that most wet food is produced in Thailand by subcontractors.

I don't know much about dogs. I especially wonder how many kibbles they consume for a month. My cat consumes around 1,3 kg per month.