Imitation of Berserk

X

Xem

I don't know much about the game, but this image reminded me of Berserk. The title of the game is Darksiders.

darksiders-wrath-of-war-20090108001830368_640w.jpg

edit: this made me laugh as well:

It has all sorts of really badass gameplay mechanics, like firing a chaingun, firing a chaingun whilst riding your horse (you have a horse), stabbing demons in the face with a giant sword, hitting demons in the face with a bus or a pole, ripping demons in half and then stabbing them in the face with a giant sword, running up the side of a giant hell worm whilst slicing him with a giant sword, etc.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26397675

Haha that Devil Hunt manga is some hilarious copying. The rest just look like homages or just large swords, which Miura hardly has a monopoly on.
I kind of want to read the Devil Hunt manga now though.

Konketsuji said:
Oh, come on, guys! Every dude with enormous sword reminds you of Berserk? :void:

Indeed. They are clearly ripping off FF7. :troll:

Though I never read/saw anything with a big sword like the Dragonslayer before Berserk, I doubt it was introduced there. I mean, big swords! Like "awesome flying car" and "huge battle tank", one of those things men instinctively think about. :)

Talking about games, I'm surprised I saw no Demon's Souls here.

Ex_Primeval_Demon.png

mhyi6e.jpg

The bottom one is the Dragon Bone Smasher, btw.

"A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.

According to the ancestors of Stonefang's excavators, it's said this weapon was created to face dragons, and is imbued with magic to protect the wielder from fire.
"

Of course, in some cases the only way to know if it's a homage or inspired by (or none of the two) is asking the author himself. But no doubt we wouldn't be seeing these if it wasn't for Berserk.

Was there any other work with a huge sword like the DS or was Berserk the very first? I mean, the concept of a huge blade is old, but something not only long but thick and large (and crude, and unwieldy) as the DS... Can't recall seeing anything like that older than Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Metatron said:
Was there any other work with a huge sword like the DS or was Berserk the very first? I mean, the concept of a huge blade is old, but something not only long but thick and large (and crude, and unwieldy) as the DS... Can't recall seeing anything like that older than Berserk.

The concept of a huge sword is exactly as old as Berserk is. People can rationalize it however they want, but the reason it's common nowadays is because Berserk popularized it.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
aww man, I remember a few months ago I saw an imitation of the DS on here:

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/FunStuff/BeautySalon.aspx

but ever since my Firefox has completely stopped working, I haven't been able to see the character on there because google chrome doesn't have the right plug-ins

but if you wan to see the DS it's on there, I remember you have to change the 'race' to "Giant"' and look for the sword under "right hand" it should be there.

I remember I made a pretty close Guts look-a-like on there awhile ago.

(note: the DS look-a-like isn't under "dragon slayer" but I cant remember the name its under)

X

Xem

Walter will probably kill me for this, and obviously not an intentional imitation, but I always thought Omar from The Wire reminded me of Guts.

omar2.jpg

Wears all black, is out for revenge against a seemingly impossible enemy, always carries a large weapon, bad ass quotes, initially prefers working alone, has a scar on his face, no real family, and always wears body armor. :)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
CCS said:
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, which is an excellent horror/comedy manga, had this in volume 7:

KurosagiDragonslayer.jpg

Haha Funny, I posted that a while ago in another thread. Not the exact same pic but still. nice to see it again.

So I found some more info on this Devil Hunter manga. 3 volumes of it were actually published in America by ADV under the name "Daemon Hunters". It's no longer being released though. I bought the first volume dirt cheap on amazon just to get a look at it. The other two are apparently un-findable.
There's also a review of the entire series (apparently it's finished) over here: http://vekinnotebook.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/daemon-hunters/

I guess the full story is lost to anyone who doesn't read Japanese. Not that it matters much since it looks to be a pale imitation of Berserk.

EDIT:

DHunters1.jpg

So I received Volume 1 of Daemon Hunters today, which is actually volume 4 or something of the series but it was split up into 3 series so it starts with a lot of hard to understand backstory. But basically everything good about this comic is lifted from Berserk, such as most of the design of the main character except for his hair. The art is pretty good except for the fact that almost all the faces look the same to you gotta rely on the outfits to tell the characters apart. Despite that it's actually kind of a fun series. It'd be good as some light fluff to read while waiting for the next Berserk episode to come out. But I doubt anybody'll translate it and the english release stopped so them's the breaks.
I don't know why I'm putting all this effort into finding out about this comic except for that I'm kind of interested in a comic that would borrow so heavily from Berserk.

X

Xem

Assuming this is probably just some type of fan art or doujinshi of some sort,

donaldgutts.jpg

either way it's fuckin' sweet!​

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Extremely old. We're talking, 2001-era Internet stuff here. But I don't think it really counts as an imitation since it's so clearly meant to be a funny homage.

X

Xem

Jesus, can I do anything fucking right around here? :schierke:

If you've seen it before and it bores you than move right along, some people haven't. *like me

Anyway, I didn't think it needed it's own thread but I felt I couldn't deny it to anyone who hasn't seen it for sheer awesomeness.

The definition for imitation is "A thing intended to simulate or copy something else", so by that definition it fits here perfectly anyhow. :iva:

Also, it's not necessarily funny, just really cool. Like something Kingdom Hearts would've done if Square had any balls. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Jesus, can I do anything fucking right around here? :schierke:
Chill out. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm just saying that it's a pretty old piece of art that some of the grandpas here will remember.

If you've seen it before and it bores you than move right along, some people haven't. *like me
Sorry, whose forum is this?

Anyway, I didn't think it needed it's own thread but I felt I couldn't deny it to anyone who hasn't seen it for sheer awesomeness.
As I recall, there are more than just this one. But I don't have them saved on my hard drive anymore...

The definition for imitation is "A thing intended to simulate or copy something else", so by that definition it fits here perfectly anyhow. :iva:
Sure, but for the purposes of this thread, I believe the connotation is that it's a negative imitation. The difference here is that there's no mistaking the Berserk influence, so it's an homage.

X

Xem

Walter said:
Sorry, whose forum is this?

Eh, I apologize again. Doctors have been switching my meds and adding more so I'm all over the place. Not going to explain anymore details, I hold myself accountable, I'll try to be more patient with my actions in the future.

I ran myself up a wall last night trying to find this game that has been on the Steam sales for forever it seems like (few months ago). I asked around my friends, three people I think, if they could remember it. One of them, my very close friend who got me into Berserk, knew right away what I was talking about. We knew the game only from its cover, and what it shewed was an armoured chick (who I think was wearing a witch hat) and it looking like a real high-fantasy setting. But what bears it relevance here is that she had the Berserker armor's mandible around her neck (as part of her armor). If anybody can remember this game, please don't hesitate to give me peace of mind.

turkitage

ターク
skullnights_pants said:
I can't be bothered to search th ewhole thread,

Within a sub-topic/thread (such as the area you're in now) you can just type Claymore in the search on the top right hand side and it'll search for that word just within this thread as oppose to all threads. And, yup, it has been mentioned.

skullnights_pants said:
but that title called Claymore has similar themes and a few copycat sections, but I like this title as well

Yeah, I do enjoy the manga Claymore as well. Though, I can't recall any specific sections that might have been copied.. I suppose it could have been influenced by Berserk. Then again, a lot of anime/manga are influenced by each other.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I got a very Berserky vibe from this episode, haha.

Agreed, the trip through the giant monster (the fight within it, the cave with the eyes) was very reminescent of Guts' visit of the Sea God's innards, down to the resolution with the fight against the "heart". Even the duo aspect (Guts & Schierke, Lady & PB) or PB's personality when she fought Ricardio felt oddly familiar. And then there's Ricardio's appearance, shrouded in shadows, the close up on his face, the body coming into view... I got a strong Berserk vibe from it all.

Top Bottom