Activation of the LHC

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
These are just to show why there really isn't much reason for concern (if you feel like reading them.):

COSMIC RAYS
The LHC, like other particle accelerators, recreates the natural phenomena of cosmic rays under controlled laboratory conditions, enabling them to be studied in more detail. Cosmic rays are particles produced in outer space, some of which are accelerated to energies far exceeding those of the LHC. The energy and the rate at which they reach the Earth’s atmosphere have been measured in experiments for some 70 years. Over the past billions of years, Nature has already generated on Earth as many collisions as about a million LHC experiments – and the planet still exists. Astronomers observe an enormous number of larger astronomical bodies throughout the Universe, all of which are also struck by cosmic rays. The Universe as a whole conducts more than 10 million million LHC-like experiments per second. The possibility of any dangerous consequences contradicts what astronomers see - stars and galaxies still exist.
Microscopic black holes
Nature forms black holes when certain stars, much larger than our Sun, collapse on themselves at the end of their lives. They concentrate a very large amount of matter in a very small space. Speculations about microscopic black holes at the LHC refer to particles produced in the collisions of pairs of protons, each of which has an energy comparable to that of a mosquito in flight. Astronomical black holes are much heavier than anything that could be produced at the LHC.

MICROSCOPIC BLACKHOLES
According to the well-established properties of gravity, described by Einstein’s relativity, it is impossible for microscopic black holes to be produced at the LHC. There are, however, some speculative theories that predict the production of such particles at the LHC. All these theories predict that these particles would disintegrate immediately. Black holes, therefore, would have no time to start accreting matter and to cause macroscopic effects.

Although stable microscopic black holes are not expected in theory, study of the consequences of their production by cosmic rays shows that they would be harmless. Collisions at the LHC differ from cosmic-ray collisions with astronomical bodies like the Earth in that new particles produced in LHC collisions tend to move more slowly than those produced by cosmic rays. Stable black holes could be either electrically charged or neutral. If they had electric charge, they would interact with ordinary matter and be stopped while traversing the Earth, whether produced by cosmic rays or the LHC. The fact that the Earth is still here rules out the possibility that cosmic rays or the LHC could produce dangerous charged microscopic black holes. If stable microscopic black holes had no electric charge, their interactions with the Earth would be very weak. Those produced by cosmic rays would pass harmlessly through the Earth into space, whereas those produced by the LHC could remain on Earth. However, there are much larger and denser astronomical bodies than the Earth in the Universe. Black holes produced in cosmic-ray collisions with bodies such as neutron stars and white dwarf stars would be brought to rest. The continued existence of such dense bodies, as well as the Earth, rules out the possibility of the LHC producing any dangerous black holes.

So really the earth is bombarded by cosmic rays that are far more powerful then the LHC, so its unlikely that anything bad will happen, also its very unlikely microscopic blackholes will form and if they do they will more than likely be harmless.

The only thing I personally worry about is how much of a role the ozone plays in protecting us from those cosmic rays, since the experiment is taking place on Earth and below the ozone I wonder if there may actually be more of a reason to be concerned, but scientists think not so I'm down.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
I wonder if there may actually be more of a reason to be concerned, but scientists think not so I'm down.
See, this reasoning is what concerns me :guts:

Guts intestines

Walter said:
See, this reasoning is what concerns me :guts:

Well, whether I trust their judgement or not won't stop it from happening, but in the slight chance that my thought is right and the experiment either goes blackhole on our asses or blasts us with cosmic radiation the bright side would be that we'll have no time to regret the decision :serpico:.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
So there is a small chance that A) the world ends B) We lose some countires/land mass

Don't be ridiculous, nothing like that will happen. This is merely a bigger version of devices we've been playing with for years.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
lhc003.jpg

Yeah, this thing is harmless.​

Maybe I just read too much sci-fi in my adolescence, but I've been taught not to trust scientists who build large devices to do things they're not sure the repercussions of. Or at least be somewhat WARY of an experiment like this.

X

Xem

At first I could've sworn I read "Large Hardon Collider". :guts:

But honestly, I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this, but it definitely sounds cool. Maybe they should wait until 2012 before they activate it. :zodd:

Guts intestines

Deci said:
At first I could've sworn I read "Large Hardon Collider". :guts:

But honestly, I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this, but it definitely sounds cool. Maybe they should wait until 2012 before they activate it. :zodd:

Ah... Yeah I was waiting for someone to reference the Mayan Doomsday, well guess what the LHC is due to be upgraded then reactivated supposedly December 12, 2012 and the Mayan Doomsday is December 21, 2012. Kinda creepy in a very superstitious way, this of course has caused even more panick. Here's the basic principle of it for those who don't know:

The Mayans imagined a ‘hand’ of five ages each of 1,040 years, four of them normal sized ‘fingers’ and a fifth, the hidden one that is the thumb or Thorp Age, as the Final Shorter Age. This shorter age ends in the year 2011 or 2012, or just 5124 years from its start year of 3113 B.C... The start date should ‘ring a bell’, as it was when De Dan was founded in Egypt. The Mayan Five World Ages of 1,040 years each equals a period of 5,200 years, five of which equals the same 26,000 year Precession of Equinox as used in several Narmer and Ausar Calendars, and correctly counts in five periods the Precession or wobble that the Earth makes around the North Pole and star. In this final Fifth World Age with its adjusted end year of 2011/12 a very unique event happens: the Earth and the Solar system of the Sun and the Planets are all lined up on a plane, on the same horizon as is the ‘black hole’ at the center of our spiral galaxy, the Milky Way. This happens only once every 26,000 years, or 5 x s 5,200 years, and will happen in 2011/12. The 2011 event is made in synch with the 5200 year period by ‘shaving’ the period of 76 years from the last Mayan House of 5200 years, making it the Thorp or fifth 'thumb' digit age. The 2011/12 year is also in synch with the Star Regulus (Basilicas) in the sign of Leo since 153 B.C. moves into Virgo in 2012 A.D...

So basically the sun and the planets come into some sort of alignment with the center of the Milky Way and the Earth wobbles on its axis this only occurs every 26,000 years with the next one being in 2012.

A

avidwriter

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Isn't the Mayan calender supposedly off by a few thousands years or just in general inaccurate?

Well here is my theory. Time is man-made. Time doesn't really exist. It’s just something we created to keep track of things easier. Earth does not know time, plants do not know time, etc. So 2012 is non-existent to everything beyond humans. Hence any "day of the end of the world" is BS.

avidwriter said:
Well here is my theory. Time is man-made. Time doesn't really exist. It’s just something we created to keep track of things easier. Earth does not know time, plants do not know time, etc. So 2012 is non-existent to everything beyond humans. Hence any "day of the end of the world" is BS.

Your Hypothesis seems wrong to me since the concept of TIME is of great importance for the study of physics (classics and modern) and even for ontology on the scope of existentialism which has had a great impact on psychology and general philosophical thinking.

Here are some examples of things that HAVE to take time in to account:

1. Relativity.

2. Existentialism

3. Classical Mechanics: Dynamics, Fluids

4. Modern: Thermodynamics and Electromagnetic Theory

5. Existential Phenomenology.

Finally earth, plants and rocks among other things have no need for the concept of time or getting laid unlike us Human beings do, still rocks, earth and plants suffer changes in movements, positions, geometry and state due to the effects of what we human beings call TIME.

Guts intestines

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Isn't the Mayan calender supposedly off by a few thousands years or just in general inaccurate?

Actually its more accurate than our calendar. You can look it up but I saw a special on it and its said to be something like a thousandth of a day more accurate, its accuracy is a given because the Mayans knew the that the celestial bodies would come into alignment thousands of years before 2012 many believe they based the game of kicking a ball through a hoop on a wall to represent the sun passing in front of the dark space in the center of the Milky way, their extensive knowledge of astronomy is what makes historians regret not having more of their artifacts and writings today.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Guts' intestines said:
Actually its more accurate than our calendar. You can look it up but I saw a special on it and its said to be something like a thousandth of a day more accurate, its accuracy is a given because the Mayans knew the that the celestial bodies would come into alignment thousands of years before 2012 many believe they based the game of kicking a ball through a hoop on a wall to represent the sun passing in front of the dark space in the center of the Milky way, their extensive knowledge of astronomy is what makes historians regret not having more of their artifacts and writings today.

Then if our calendars are off how would they know 2012 is going to be dooms/whatever day?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
2012 isn't a Mayan doomsday event anyway, it's just when the Mayan calendar rolls over. Like hitting 100,000 on a five digit odometer.

The LHC is super sweet. :)

Guts intestines

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Then if our calendars are off how would they know 2012 is going to be dooms/whatever day?

Because its based off the Mayan calendar which is why its called the Mayan Doomsday, people buy into it because the Mayan calendar is ridiculously accurate (as well as meticulous, it even kept track of when Venus would appear as the morning and evening stars based off a 584 day cycle), and included a 365 day solar year known as the Haab, as well as a sacred 260 day religious calendar known as the Tzolkin. These calendar were cyclical, meaning that they work like two connecting gears which form the calendar round and every 52 years the cycle would flip over and begin anew. However, even more complex is that these two interlocking gears turn together and interlock with a linear timeline called the Long Count which does not repeat, the thing is the Mayans used their calendar(s) to make codices that the Mayan priests used to make prophecies, this is where you have to swallow your grain of salt because... and I'm fucking serious here, there were actually prophecies that some claim bore similarities to the American Revolution, the Civil War, WWII, and even 911.

The Mayan calendar as well as modern day scientific predictions say that the Earth is in a major pole shift in which it will wobble on it's axis, this is to be completed in December 21, 2012, along with the planetary system (including the sun) aligning with the core of the galaxy, which is that black space you see in all the depictions of the center of the Milky way, this all happens to be when the cycle of repetition of the Mayan calendar ends and the two gears reach the end of the long count. Since the end of the long count is the end of the Mayan linear timeline some are afraid what will happen on that date, this further complicating by the very real fact that no scientist truly knows what will happen when the very real planetary/celestial shifting occurs and there's supposedly a comet to arrive in 2012, plus the whole fear of the reactivation of the improved LHC, and some other kooky stuff.

Here's a few more things I forgot to mention: The Mayans could predict lunar eclipses, and I read they could even predict the formation of sunspots or something along those lines. Also people aren't sure if the doomsday date should include the Mayan solstice, if it does then the date will be December 23, 2012.

Whew....

Lithrael said:
2012 isn't a Mayan doomsday event anyway, it's just when the Mayan calendar rolls over. Like hitting 100,000 on a five digit odometer.

The LHC is super sweet. :)

You'd be right except the flipping of the calendar ends on December something 2012. And yes the LHC is the shit.
10 more days till high power activation....

Guts intestines

A.C said:
What does "improved" LHC mean? Any specifics?

In 2012 the LHC will go through what they're calling a ten-fold luminosity upgrade and they're calling this upgrade LHC the Super LHC.

These [upgrades] include the major replacement of several accelerators in the LHC proton-injector chain, upgrades of the LHC-interaction regions and enhancements to the general-purpose experiments ATLAS and CMS.

So basically they're increasing the power of the beam drastically by ten-fold as well as making it more efficient by reducing beam size, all of this will create a higher event rate which will make it easier and more likely for them to discover new particles.

boys and girls get your doomsday drinks ready only only 15.5 more hours to go! no, no, no, it won't be a flop like the Y2k

http://www.lhcountdown.com/

ELEKTRO said:
boys and girls get your doomsday drinks ready only only 15.5 more hours to go! no, no, no, it won't be a flop like the Y2k

http://www.lhcountdown.com/

15.5 hours till the next restart is more like it. :troll:

Guts intestines

fuxberg said:
Maybe the Mayan calendar ends at 2012 because they died and couldn't continue it.. :serpico:

That probably is the reason, I don't buy into that crap, but it is a funny coincidence that some call the LHC the Doomsday device and that it'll be more powerful when it reactivates in 2012, which goes perfectly with the whole doomsday scenario.

A

avidwriter

I think they set it at 2012 on purpose. You know to bring more hype and what not. I can't say what will or won't happen with the LHC however the site is down so I assume a lot of people are curious. I'd like to see a live stream but doesn't look like there will be one.

Top Bottom