alternatives...

icefall

I need more sleep -_- zzz
I know a lot of people have been really upset about the scans dilemma, but at least walter's wallet will have time to recover  ;D

I contacted a shop about getting a subscription to young animal (finally... I'd been meaning to do it forever, you can't go wrong with boobs and berserk) and I've been thinking of ways that fans could still see the pix... maybe streamload as a possible alternative?

Walter are you still going to provide the text translations of the most recent chapters on your site?

As I go along I will post them up on the website. I think that's about all we can do after this. Many of you won't be able to see them until the tankoubon arrives, so I won't be in any rush, if I can even do them at all ;)

And Walter's wallet won't be getting a rest, he still buys it for himself (and me), so I can translate it and we can keep up to date on the story. He's driving to get it this weekend I believe, so we can give you a pretty good summary of the chapter(even though Olivier gave a really good one already, I think).

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Streamload might be a good idea. Do they still have the freeloader offers? If so it might be a valid way to get the scans to people, the download limit would probably not be reached by the scans...

If this is something Walther finds acceptable, I can volonter to stream the scans to people. No prob...

icefall

Yeah I still think it's 50megs/month for the free account or some # of files... I dunno, I just still have the $7.95 one until november when they start charging more :-/

Streamload might be a good idea. Do they still have the freeloader offers? If so it might be a valid way to get the scans to people, the download limit would probably not be reached by the scans...

You'd be amazed at how much bandwidth those scans suck up. The graphs go through the roof the days after posting a new chapter. He's had to continuously trim it down...one month I believe the server put out something to the tune of 80-90 gigs, and the limit is 25 on his account per month :) I could be wrong, I don't check the graph too often.

Also, I don't know what Walter's ultimate decision is, but I don't think he's going to just scan and distribute anymore. We've noticed how it's affected things such as BBS discussions and what not, since before(roughly last year, on the BSOM board), no one could really get YA often, and we'd all speculate like crazy until the new volumes came out. I think he's going to want that to happen again. But that doesn't mean he's going to stop getting YA :)

So I wouldn't get any hopes up about seeing scans from him anymore. Maybe a particularly cool picture or pictures regarding new merchandise will be posted here in the board, but as far as whole chapters...

ruru

nani?
ummmm...scans could go to irc

that way they could just be served along with everthing else...including the Berserk SVCD's of the anime...which are excellent. They come from the HK DVD's. The manga chan on Dalnet would love to get their hands on some good berserk scans....

Isaac

"and when king alexander saw the breadth of h
Yeah its always going to come back to a question of ethics.  There are tons of ways to circulate the scans, but its guarantee'd that at least some of the people who have the scans won't buy the volumes when they come out.  If so then were just a bunch pirates.

Then again why shouldn't the people who are going to buy the volumes get to see scans.

I guess all in all I think we're all just being impatient.  The summaries are enough to keep us abreast to whats going on, keep the fun speculatory (is that a word?) converstations going, and tide us over until the volumes come out. We should be glad we get this much, it could be far worse.

Isaac

icefall

The way I always see these things - if you (you being anyone) don't do it someone will. They'll eventually make their way around the net be it IRC, streamload or ptp applications...

:-X

ruru

nani?
The fact is that we cannot go to the store and buy the manga. It is not out here in the US. Half the time j00 buy translations of it they end up being wrong. Honestly when I can buy the manga here and it is good translations then I will for sure. Until then you can get alot of the manga on irc. People are dying to get on the manga chans and you are right.....it is only a matter of time. I personally think that everyone should get to see it and I think everyone should buy it. I am gonna wait for the whole thing to come out and then buy a good fansub hopefully.

O and j00 can serve full zip files over irc all day...just gotta dccallow

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
*shrugs*

I throughly enjoyed getting the bi-weekly issues for free. But what can i say, it's not worth it to me to actualy pay for em.

I buy the tankubans each time they are released, and that's good enough for me.

Does that mean I'm entitled to free issues? No, certainly not, but if they are going to be distrubuted, I'll take em.

Saying that since we can't get them in a store in hte US, means we're entitled to free issues is not true.

Yes, I'm aware that in japan, you can walk into a bookstore, read the latest issue, then put it back on hte shelf and leave. But that doesn't mean we, here in the states, are entitled to the same thing.

That whole "principles" thing, is irrelevant. If Icefall, or another individual decides to share, thank him (I will, and I'll most certainly accept his generocity), but I think that BS about being entitled to it is just that, BS.

icefall

I myself will always buy the tankuban, and now the YA subscription, but I do realize it's really hard for people to get a hold of these things.

So that being said, I wouldn't not share through something like streamload, but I'm not planning on scanning all the YA and distributing them right away (unless a lot of people really want it).

but would you distrubute them on streamload page by page? dont they ban people who use .zip files or something?

You can share folders, so a zip wouldn't be necessary. I only mentioned that they would eventually get up there because someone just sent me a huge amount of both raw and english translated manga, so it's only a matter of time before Berserk makes it up there!

The_Stick

"Shoot for the moon. That way, if you miss it
Well, Icefall, isn't it possible hypothetically speaking, for you to like set up a FTP account for Berserk manga downloads?

How does that sound?

ruru

nani?
Email me sometime...I will gladly put some manga up on my ftp...or I would..if it were legal that is....  ~_^

Luckily my ftp is for educational purposes only and if you are a government agen you have to get out.....something like that.....Bill Clinton owns with that act.

o yeah

Gzablaze@yahoo.com

But aren`t there ethical questions with buying Young Animal? I mean it really, really sucks.

Indeed, but that won't stop some people. If I was in Japan (you lucky bastard), I wouldn't pay a dime for the mag....or a penny for that matter. If anything I just laugh at the pile of other crap in the magazine.

icefall

Yeah some of the other stuff in the magazine was questionable at best... I mean there were some damn pretty Japanese girls in bikinis, but that didn't make up for anything other than Berserk which was amazing  ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah some of the other stuff in the magazine was questionable at best... I mean there were some damn pretty Japanese girls in bikinis, but that didn't make up for anything other than Berserk which was amazing  ;)
The girls are actually more frightening than you could possibly imagine. Look at their eyes really closely and youll see what I mean.

Theyve been airbrushed so much they look like aliens.

Top Bottom