Berserk Saga Project News

With all the cuts and stupid changes 2nd movie will suck just like the first one. There's no doubt about it. I mean, what they where thinking when they decided to exclude epic parts like the "bonfire of dreams", Zodd throwing his sword and so on. But at the same time they found a way to introduce some new scenes, like those cameos, Guts dancing... how retarded :mozgus:

As I said before, I'm hoping 3rd movie will be decent. I'm getting my hopes up for the eclipse (btw I don't care about Femto's color).
 
Thanks for making that DK! I had just resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to mute the original trailer if I was going to watch it over and over...and over
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Guts would rather dance at a ball than swing his sword around.

At this point we're dealing with a completely different character.
And the same goes for Casca, let's not forget about her.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the 1080p transfer DK. Looks gorgeous now. I can't help but be excited about the things shown in the latter parts of movie 3.

Gobolatula said:
Guts would rather dance at a ball than swing his sword around.

At this point we're dealing with a completely different character.
I think I joked about this on the podcast a few weeks back. The production staff probably put a lot of effort into that ballroom scene. They modeled the characters in 3D, there's that big sweeping shot around them, so clearly time was invested. May as well milk that scene for all it's worth! :troll:
 
Lukis said:
And he even looked kinda happy :magni:
This is just my crazy theory of Guts dancing... Maybe its just for an instance when Casca grabs him to take him outside. Perhaps in order to not disrupt the proceedings and embarrass Griffith they have to "dance" their way outside. Thats how it makes some sense to me.

Also about the color issue with the Eclipse. If you look at the video at 1:39 it shows Griffith reborn as Femto and there are a lot of red tones in the scene. Hopefully the blue hues are only a precursor to the Eclipse before it turns blood red.

As you can tell I'm trying to make things make sense. Never give up hope!
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Guts dancing lol. This will be good for a joke for many years to come I think. His face looks so goofy.

Walter said:
I think I joked about this on the podcast a few weeks back. The production staff probably put a lot of effort into that ballroom scene. They modeled the characters in 3D, there's that big sweeping shot around them, so clearly time was invested. May as well milk that scene for all it's worth! :troll:
Yea, it reminds me of Titanic :azan: I hate in movies when characters are spinning each other and the camera will focus on one person looking directly at the screen while the background is spinning. That seems to be what they were going for here and it bothers me to no end. I know Berserk is EPIC but do we really need that classic sweeping ballroom dance scene here? It's like a trope they are trying to squeeze in where it clearly doesn't belong.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
And he even looked kinda happy :magni:
Having the time of his life.

lon3vvolf said:
This is just my crazy theory of Guts dancing... Maybe its just for an instance when Casca grabs him to take him outside. Perhaps in order to not disrupt the proceedings and embarrass Griffith they have to "dance" their way outside.
It's likely something along those lines, but that's still out of character for both of them. Not to mention that they aren't even supposed to know how to dance.

lon3vvolf said:
Also about the color issue with the Eclipse. If you look at the video at 1:39 it shows Griffith reborn as Femto and there are a lot of red tones in the scene. Hopefully the blue hues are only a precursor to the Eclipse before it turns blood red.
Well the problem I initially pointed out is that the red tones apply to Femto himself (since he's supposed to be more of a dark blue). Like you said, hopefully it's just the hues being used for the whole sequence.
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Femto777 said:
It is too ubik if you look very closely.
Oh yeah, in 1080p it's much clearer, my bad. I wish they'd stuck to the "gooey" intro he has in the manga when falling down the sky though. Oh well.
 
I previously assumed that the third movie's ending would be alongside with the events from the episode 88 "Escape", as Skull Knight is disappearing into faraway distance with Guts, Rickert and Casca, with Zodd looking on. Such a cinematic presentation of this event within the manga would have been appropriate to serve as an end to the movie. But seeing as how Studio 4°C has chosen to take things with the "Descent" further beyond the Eclipse, it really doesn't bode well for this movie at all. Not only the film plot spans 4 volumes' worth of material, as Walter had previously noted, but how much cutting can you guys imagine will be required by the time the third movie covers the episodes 89 or 90? Not to mention meeting the allotted 130 min run time. I think Wyald's absence, along with the excision of many other things, will be a given at this point.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
I previously assumed that the third movie's ending would be alongside with the events from the episode 88 "Escape", as Skull Knight is disappearing into faraway distance with Guts, Rickert and Casca, with Zodd looking on. Such a cinematic presentation of this event within the manga would have been appropriate to serve as an end to the movie. But seeing as how Studio 4°C has chosen to take things with the "Descent" further beyond the Eclipse, it really doesn't bode well for this movie at all. Not only the film plot spans 4 volumes' worth of material, as Walter had previously noted, but how much cutting can you guys imagine will be required by the time the third movie covers the episodes 89 or 90? Not to mention the meeting the allotted 130 min run time. I think Wyald's absence will be a given, at this point.
Well, at this point they should just cut their losses and start movie 3 with the Eclipse. Given what I've seen in the trailer, I'd be happy with that :void:
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
Not only the film plot spans 4 volumes' worth of material
Over 4 volumes, if they want the ending to make any sense (as leaving it at Guts and the Skull Knight in the field would be rather terrible). I can't imagine how they'll pull it off.

Rodrigo said:
how much cutting can you guys imagine will be required by the time the third movie covers the episodes 89 or 90?
Nothing new. You can probably find a post of mine warning people of this 50 pages ago.
 

Death May Die

"That day you left, that's when I knew."
The eclipse scene seems to be the only thing I'm dying see. Like the original anime it might be the part they went all out on. I haven't been much interested in this project of late because I wasn't sold on its 3D animation effects, but now its starting to grab my attention again. The trailer is at least doing something right for me as well.
 
Gaiserik said:
What I want to see are new scenes, not remakes of things already seen in the previous anime.
Well, "original scenes" are ok as long as they stay true to the manga. I mean, this brand new "dance scene" is, technically, original content...
I guess that since we learned about the first movie it's been safe to assume that this films are a slightly different interpretation of Berserk's plot and characters, for better or for worse.
 
Arles said:
Well, "original scenes" are ok as long as they stay true to the manga. I mean, this brand new "dance scene" is, technically, original content...
I guess that since we learned about the first movie it's been safe to assume that this films are a slightly different interpretation of Berserk's plot and characters, for better or for worse.
I would be willing to say its for worse, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also, how is the dance scene technically original content? It is new content and completely unnecessary, much like a couple of cameos that have been mentioned in this thread previously.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
how is the dance scene technically original content?
It's original, as in, they're making shit up.

And I don't think we should get too carried away calling it a dance scene. There's still a chance that it's just a few seconds clip, and not a full-on dance number. And like lon3vvolf said earlier: ...
lon3vvolf said:
Maybe its just for an instance when Casca grabs him to take him outside.
That being said, I think this adaptation has already used up its allotment of mulligans.

This whole conversation reminds me of Dark Tower book 5, for anyone who's followed that series. When Roland, a very Guts-like character ... begins to dance. That was pretty much the end of that series for me :ganishka:
 
Walter said:
It's original, as in, they're making shit up.
Exactly, there's no "technically" about it.

How I feel about this series is watching someone we all love being judged in an Olympic sport. No matter how much they screw up, we keep hoping they save themselves from too much embarrassment.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
How I feel about this series is watching someone we all love being judged in an Olympic sport. No matter how much they screw up, we keep hoping they save themselves from too much embarrassment.
It's a pretty good analogy actually, considering that even this adaptation's harshest critics keep saying, in essence: JUST STICK THE LANDING! ... THE LANDING! :ubik:

That reminds me, we should already know about the so-called dance scene. It's in movie 2, right? We've had members here who have seen movie 2... They should weigh in on this!
 
I hope they use Aira in the actual movie at some point (not counting intro/ending credits). Also, what is cool to me in the latest trailer is that lots of it look hand-drawn. Are they kickin the CG back a notch? I guess they heard people's criticism about that.

The dance number I'm guessing is along the lines of what lon3vvolf and Walter said. In which case, I think it's fine. I'll get a good chuckle out of it.

And yeah, definitely, movie III is what I'm looking forward to the most! The way they treated each Hawk Soldiers deaths in the original anime was pretty emotional for me (especially Judu's). Without as much character development, I'm not sure if the movie can tug on the heart strings of first time viewers, but for me, I'm sure it'll still hit me pretty hard.

And SK vs Zodd. OH MAN, CAN'T WAIT.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Without as much character development, I'm not sure if the movie can tug on the heart strings of first time viewers, but for me, I'm sure it'll still hit me pretty hard.
I haven't seen movie 2 yet, but I'm pretty sure there are some key scenes missing from right before Guts' departure, namely his big talk with Carcus and Judo. That was critical to endearing us to those characters before everything fell apart. It's one of the reasons I feel bad for people watching this for the first time through the movies. Those characters will be reduced to vaguely familiar fodder for the eclipse. :judo:
 
I would love for Aria to be used in the actual film(s), but I'm trying to think where it would best fit in.

As for character development prior to the eclipse, I think this is why it's imperative they show everyone working really hard as a team to rescue Griffith and focus on each character independently, part of me hopes this is where some of the extended time has gone into. As much as the eclipse is REALLY important, it's needs character depth to make your emotions surface.
 
Top Bottom