Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
It's cool that it's Castlevania but I've never been a big fan of the 2D Castlevania games. I was hoping they'd come out with a 3D that was better than Lament of Innocence.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
It's cool that it's Castlevania but I've never been a big fan of the 2D Castlevania games. I was hoping they'd come out with a 3D that was better than Lament of Innocence.

Well 2D suits the series quite well. Despite what some hardcore fans might say (handsome rakshas I summon thee), the 3D games were never very good. I know that as far as I am concerned, Castlevania should stay in 2D.

Aazealh said:
I know that as far as I am concerned, Castlevania should stay in 2D.
Totally agree.

First image of.... Castlevania Wii. Yeah, it's a fighting game :schierke:. I just curious about the connection between OoE and this one.
72361520080626_233700_0_big.jpg

More screens here. The chara designer seems to be Takeshi Obata (Death Note).

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Aazealh said:
Well 2D suits the series quite well. Despite what some hardcore fans might say (handsome rakshas I summon thee), the 3D games were never very good. I know that as far as I am concerned, Castlevania should stay in 2D.

I had a lot of fun playing the N64 version of Castlevania, as well as Lament of Innocence. I really liked the control setup for fighting and the combos. It would be cool if they used the same setup but just improved the graphics and the details of the environments.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
KazigluBey said:

Castlevania was, is, and always will be best as a 2D adventure. Making Castlevania exclusively a 3D series from now on would piss off the devoted fans kill the series. I don't know the sales numbers but I'm going to say that the 2D games in the series are what is still keeping this series breathing. I really did enjoy Curse of Darkness, though!

KazigluBey said:
I had a lot of fun playing the N64 version of Castlevania, as well as Lament of Innocence. I really liked the control setup for fighting and the combos. It would be cool if they used the same setup but just improved the graphics and the details of the environments.

I have a lot of fun with Castlevania 64 too! I pop that baby in, listen to the stellar opening song a few times then turn it off until I get the urge to hear it again. Lament of Innocence is ok in my opinion but Curse of Darkness still shines as the best of the 3D.

Thanks for the new gameplay footage, I can't wait for this game. And it's really cool to finally see the CV Wii game they've been working on, looks neat. I'm not much for 3D fighters but seeing Simon and Alucard duking it out was enough to catch my attention. I'm happy they made it a new kind of game rather than another LoI/CoD style game. I'll be keeping a close eye on the Wii game. Thanks for all the new info, guys!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ryouma said:
Totally agree.

First image of.... Castlevania Wii. Yeah, it's a fighting game :schierke:.

Oh come on, it sounds fun to me. I'll be getting it if it isn't too bad (let's be hopeful), and I'll kick your ass with SIMON, the best Belmont of them all! Might require a new thread instead of hijacking this one though.

handsome rakshas said:
Castlevania was, is, and always will be best as a 2D adventure. Making Castlevania exclusively a 3D series from now on would piss off the devoted fans kill the series. I don't know the sales numbers but I'm going to say that the 2D games in the series are what is still keeping this series breathing. I really did enjoy Curse of Darkness, though!

As far as I remember, the PS2 3D games have sold so poorly that I'm not even sure Konami earned back the money they spent making them. There's a reason the focus in on 2D NDS games right now.

handsome rakshas said:
I have a lot of fun with Castlevania 64 too! I pop that baby in, listen to the stellar opening song a few times then turn it off until I get the urge to hear it again. Lament of Innocence is ok in my opinion but Curse of Darkness still shines as the best of the 3D.

The only one I've had any exposure to is Castlevania 64, and I didn't hate it or anything, but it definitely was no Symphony of the Night. I'd play the other 3D games if someone gave them to me, but they're just not the same thing IMHO.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
handsome rakshas said:

Thanks for the new gameplay footage, I can't wait for this game. And it's really cool to finally see the CV Wii game they've been working on, looks neat. I'm not much for 3D fighters but seeing Simon and Alucard duking it out was enough to catch my attention. I'm happy they made it a new kind of game rather than another LoI/CoD style game. I'll be keeping a close eye on the Wii game. Thanks for all the new info, guys!

I wouldn't want to see the 2D version disappear, I'd just like a good 3D version every once and awhile. I mean Devil May Cry has been a pretty good franchise, and it's similar to Lament of Innocence in a lot of ways.

I mean Devil May Cry has been a pretty good franchise, and it's similar to Lament of Innocence in a lot of ways.

DMC came first. So Lament is similar to DMC in some ways, not the other way around. Just nitpicking, nothing to see here :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I'm really pumped for this. Sounds like they're going back to their Castlevania 2 roots to me! :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
I'm VERY impressed by the new enemy sprites I've seen, which was a problem that I had by the last couple of games. I'm going to stop looking at new pics and vids, I don't want to spoil anything more!

Yeah there's some pretty cool stuff in there. Can't get to play it! :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I just got the new EGM (thanks Aaz) and they gave the game an A-. They say the gameplay feels very new using the glyph system. I expect many more good reviews to come before October 21st. Gamestop is giving away a download for a some tracks from the game but if you preorder at GameCrazy I believe they are giving away an actual cd sampler. I can't wait!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
Haven't read the full review so as not to spoil myself, but it looks quite good from what they're saying, and other reviewers seem to be agreeing on it as well. Now to convince my wife that this is a necessary purchase...

Puella got PM.

I'm about an hour into the game and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the greatest game of all time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Puella got PM.

I'm about an hour into the game and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the greatest game of all time.
Not to be a dick, but haven't you said that about all Castlevanias in the past 3 years?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I just finished the game and what a fantastic time it was! The music was superb, the sprites were almost all new, and the bosses were awesome. I like the new bosses more than anything else because I actually took the time to memorize their patterns. You get medals in game for beating each boss without getting hit and it was a pain. The glyph system works very well and its cool that you can equip three different glyph sets to be prepared for different enemies. One thing I didn't like was that most of the enemies don't drop items! I always liked the collecting aspect of the game and it seems like you'll be wanting to look for hidden chests more than wanting to fight enemies. I was also disappointed that Death was so damn easy in this game, maybe I over leveled? I don't want to give away too much but this is a must buy on the DS. Now I have to beat the bonus areas, boss rush, bonus character mode, and hard mode level 1.

Top Bottom