Dark Horse Releases

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
And here I was naively believing the editorial horrors of the earlier volumes where (mostly) gone. This might be a new low, though. I laughed, but now I just feel really disappointed. Thank god for the tankōbon.
 


I think there are a few more instances of either grammar being off or words.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
Seriously...? I dont even feel like buying these anymore.
Typos actually don't bother me that much. That kind of stuff happens even in super-expensive productions, believe it or not. There have been a few in the Dark Horse editions, and they aren't deal breakers for me... But that Rickert/Roderick confusion is inexcusable.

It's really weird to be holding the latest episode of Berserk translated in English. A first for the series.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Mine came in the mail today. I agree with Walter. It's reaaaallly strange reading the newest episodes in a Dark Horse book. I thought about if/when this day would come a long time ago.

Despite the Dark Horse errors which I think we've all grown accustomed to at this point, I must say reading this physical copy in English front to back is a real treat. I honestly think this is one of my favorite volumes. I don't know if I'm only feeling this way because it's been so long or whatnot, but ... well, its a real treat :serpico:
 
Is it me or are some of the Volumes drying up again? Great and all they are selling incredibly well!

But I need Vol. 16,18,28,29 and 31 to complete my collection. Amazon UK (Where I am from) is joke and Amazon US only has one I need in stock! I have tried Forbidden planet, UP1 publishing, Ebay ( :mozgus:) ,Waterstones, Barnes and Noble, Dark Horse and Right Stuf . With Right Stuf I don't ave the money to pay for that kind of shipping after my car failing its MOT :ganishka:

Any other suggestions?
 
krzykoopa said:
I don't exactly know why but 16 specifically is really expensive.

I know man! Coming up to 14 and 15 and don't want to randomly skip even though I read it before!

Also 28 and 29 don't let up :mozgus: but if push comes to shove, It shall be done!
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
s3rialthrill3r said:
Wasn't everything supposed to be reprinted? Don't tell me everything is going out of print again right before I decide to jump in.

Just don't wait too long before ordering.
 
Trust me, I'm not waiting any longer than I have to (waiting for Paypal transfer). A day has passed and it seems that Book Depository has given up on keeping Volume 4 in stock. This is getting ridiculous! How many copies did Dark Horse reprint? 100?
 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
s3rialthrill3r said:
Trust me, I'm not waiting any longer than I have to (waiting for Paypal transfer). A day has passed and it seems that Book Depository has given up on keeping Volume 4 in stock. This is getting ridiculous! How many copies did Dark Horse reprint? 100?

There's some posts about it where DH mentions the minimum number required for them to order a reprint. It's really not that many.
 
Picked up vol 37 this week. I'd been keeping up with the recent episode threads on this site, so I knew what to expect in general, but I had already forgotten about a lot of the important details since those episodes first came out 1 - 2 years ago.

A couple of times during the Spring Flowers of Distant Days episodes I questioned whether or not the English localization was as good as it could have been, but overall it was a fun read and I am so grateful that Dark Horse continues to put out the series.

My condolences to anyone who is having a difficult time finding back orders.
 

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Has dark horse released new editions of the manga? If so, what are the differences?

I don't know if I am conveying my question properly. Did they release ones with "upgrades" or fixes or is every print of Dark Horse Berserk the same?
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There have been reprints but every edition is the same -- to the extent that in the latest prints, they haven't fixed printing/scanning errors in volumes that are almost 10 years old.
 

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Walter said:
There have been reprints but every edition is the same -- to the extent that in the latest prints, they haven't fixed printing/scanning errors in volumes that are almost 10 years old.

:judo: what gives, DH?
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ahmetal said:
:judo: what gives, DH?

From dealings with them in the past, I got the impression they're on a very tight budget. Rescanning and ordering new editions would be costly.

For what it's worth, while the early editions are pretty terrible, everything past vol 14 or so in terms of visual quality has been decent. But they're guilty of typos and other mistakes throughout the series. While I'm grateful they brought Berserk to us in English, and in a timely manner, I can't help but wish the series had a better steward, like Viz.
 

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Walter said:
From dealings with them in the past, I got the impression they're on a very tight budget. Rescanning and ordering new editions would be costly.

For what it's worth, while the early editions are pretty terrible, everything past vol 14 or so in terms of visual quality has been decent. But they're guilty of typos and other mistakes throughout the series. While I'm grateful they brought Berserk to us in English, and in a timely manner, I can't help but wish the series had a better steward, like Viz.

Thanks for all that info. That answers more questions that were on my mind.
 

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Walter said:
From dealings with them in the past, I got the impression they're on a very tight budget. Rescanning and ordering new editions would be costly.

For what it's worth, while the early editions are pretty terrible, everything past vol 14 or so in terms of visual quality has been decent. But they're guilty of typos and other mistakes throughout the series. While I'm grateful they brought Berserk to us in English, and in a timely manner, I can't help but wish the series had a better steward, like Viz.

Doesn't Viz usually censor their stuff though? I've only got one or two mangas aside from Berserk, Hellsing and Trigun. But I remember the nudity being censored in my old roommates copies of Love Hina (which he re-read constantly) does Viz publish "adults only" plastic wrapped stuff to? I know even DH shies away from that when they can, it was a minor ordeal finding their uncensored edition of Ghost in the Shell. Not an ordeal I'd recommend btw, you get 3 or so color pages of a lesbian threesome which adds nothing to the story, I just got it mainly because I hate censorship on principle.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe they censor their stuff that's aimed at kids, but nothing I've seen from them has been censored.
I own all of Vagabond (another seinen series), Real, and am currently picking up Slam Dunk and Monster. Their work has been top notch, both in localization and the print side. They also aggressively rerelease their series.

Also I looked it up and Kodansha USA localized Love Hina, not Viz.
 

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Walter said:
Maybe they censor their stuff that's aimed at kids, but nothing I've seen from them has been censored.
I own all of Vagabond (another seinen series), Real, and am currently picking up Slam Dunk and Monster. Their work has been top notch, both in localization and the print side. They also aggressively rerelease their series.

Also I looked it up and Kodansha USA localized Love Hina, not Viz.

D'oh. Well it's been a few years since then. Could have sworn it was Viz, but then I didn't really read them since I found most of the characters insufferable. And as I saw one internet reviewer sum up the relationship between the two main characters years later is basically "Domestic abuse, hilarious!" but then the whole "harem genre" isn't my thing.

I've heard Vagabond is good but never checked it out.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DH's Berserk volumes are all on sale for 30% off on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Berserk+Vol

This saves you $5 on most volumes.
 

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
DH's Berserk volumes are all on sale for 30% off on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Berserk+Vol

This saves you $5 on most volumes.

Might be a good time for me to re-buy some of my volumes. Especially one that had a bathtub problem (this is what happens when you lend your books!)
 
Top Bottom