E3 2011 News

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Guys, lighten up, it's not art :troll:

But this is:

supaboy.jpg

Anyway, something light:

‘Can Snake Eat Yoshi Meat in Metal Gear Solid 3D?’ and Other Questions Kojima Productions Didn’t Answer

http://kotaku.com/5810150/can-snake-eat-yoshi-meat-in-metal-gear-solid-3ds-and-other-questions-kojima-productions-wouldnt-answer said:
Wondering why Yoshi appears in the game's E3 2011 trailer, I ask...

How will Yoshi be used in Metal Gear Solid 3D?
Still secret at this point.

Because Snake can kill and consume things (like snake meat) to regain his stamina, I wondered...

Will Snake be able to eat Yoshi for sustenance?
(laughs) Well, we'll have to see what Nintendo says about that.

Finally, since seeing the Nintendo 3DS's stereoscopic 3D effects requires two eyes, I inquired...

Since this is a 3D game and Snake loses his eye to Ocelot, will the 3D effect be altered in any way after Snake loses the ability to see with both eyes?
That's a very good question actually, but we can't answer it. Sorry.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
I hope we get some specs soon.
Next big opportunity is: TGS 2011 -September 15-18.

Griffith said:
KOTAKU. BRINGING YOU THE SUPERFLUOUS NEWS BLURBS YOU CRAVE. Seriously, they've been in their lowest form this E3, writing 1-2 sentence stories, repeating information with different phrasing for more clicks. I truly can't stand them anymore...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
All this makes me wonder how powerful the Wii U is going to be, or, looking at it like I did before, if Nintendo considers this the final evolution of the Wii rather than their "next generation" system. Or, by that token, if Nintendo is further redefining system generations as we know them.

Like I said earlier I think the jury's still out on the actual power of the system, especially since I'm hearing things about its release sliding towards the later half of 2012. The key factor here is when MS and Sony will make their move and release a new system, bearing in mind that Nintendo's very announcement is likely to precipitate whatever it is they have in stock.

They all really ought to play that one carefully, since it'll likely make or break their success for the entire generation to come. We saw what can happen when a company plays its cards badly (Sony with the PS3), whereas Microsoft did very well with the Xbox 360 even though it came out a full year before its competitors.

Walter said:
Next big opportunity is: TGS 2011 -September 15-18.

If Nintendo announces something around that time it'll be during a side event though, since then never attend the TGS. And there's the Gamescom as well, the European show (don't underestimate us :femto:).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306431/news/bobby-kotick-wanted-to-play-battlefield-3-at-e3-ea-said-no/

The feud between EA and Activision has become increasingly hostile. AV's CEO Bobby Kotick was apparently denied entry to view a preview of Battlefield 3. Ouch!

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Walter said:
It's not really a problem at all, it's just a name. And I just don't see the point in complaining it. It feels like misdirected angst, to me.

Who's complaining? The 8-year-old in me just thinks it's hysterical, so I made the connection. GAWD! :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306431/news/bobby-kotick-wanted-to-play-battlefield-3-at-e3-ea-said-no/

The feud between EA and Activision has become increasingly hostile. AV's CEO Bobby Kotick was apparently denied entry to view a preview of Battlefield 3. Ouch!
Sucks to be him. But really, what are they going to do? Steal formats and copy game engin.... nah, they already do that to each other. In the end, having a feud like this does nothing for me, if anything productive does come out, will be the typical competitive strive of being the best. So they can have a medieval showdown for all I care, just post the pictures so I can enjoy my piña colada :beast:.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Viral Harvest said:
Who's complaining? The 8-year-old in me just thinks it's hysterical, so I made the connection. GAWD! :guts:
NightCrawler said:
You win Betty! :ganishka:
Death May Die said:
"It beats you up, while you play it!"
Walter said:
Can we just move along?
Apparently not...

Nomad said:
Sucks to be him. But really, what are they going to do? Steal formats and copy game engin.... nah, they already do that to each other. In the end, having a feud like this does nothing for me, if anything productive does come out, will be the typical competitive strive of being the best. So they can have a medieval showdown for all I care, just post the pictures so I can enjoy my piña colada :beast:.
It's definitely a weird move by EA if this did indeed happen. There's little threat of having your competition come and check out your stuff. In fact it's been a long-running tradition at E3 for Sony to come to the Nintendo booth, and vice versa, when a new product is announced. It's more like a show of respect. But EA may have thrown down the gauntlet this year. It was a show of disrespect.

With all of the major conferences over at this point, Thursday was a relatively slow day for E3. Most sites are posting interviews with developers of games that have already been announced. I'm scrounging for any interesting or worthwhile information among them. The best today so far was Geoff Keighley's 3-part interview with Reggie Fils-Aime. (Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3)

The meat of this one sit-down was chopped into about a dozen or so different news stories across various VG sites. Here's the highlights though:

-Physical console wasn't showcased because it's not impressive, "It's just a box" (and likely isn't in final form yet either)
-1080p, "Tick that box. It's done."
-Zelda HD and other demonstrations were just tech demos.
-Online capabilities comparable to what Sony and MS offer, but will have more "flexibility."
-Reggie won't budge on which developers are doing what, i.e. Retro.
-Console beams data to controller, but has roughly one-room range, 20 ft or so. Walls can be a problem.
-Third party game vids shown weren't running on Wii U, but on PC/PS3/360. "Because we're talking a year away from when system is going to launch."
-Does NIntendo have the teams to deliver a big-budget experience like current gen HD games? "We absolutely have the teams to deliver that type of experience."

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
Apparently not...
It's definitely a weird move by EA if this did indeed happen. There's little threat of having your competition come and check out your stuff. In fact it's been a long-running tradition at E3 for Sony to come to the Nintendo booth, and vice versa, when a new product is announced. It's more like a show of respect. But EA may have thrown down the gauntlet this year. It was a show of disrespect.
Oh I'm well aware of their "concept", but these 2 in particular have been disrespectful to each other whether indirectly or directly. In a "nut-shell" stuff like this just makes either, or look bad. It's just a shame regardless. Two of the top companies acting like that. Specially when their core developers and the reason THEY themselves make their money tend to have mutual respect for their competitors.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Sucks to be him. But really, what are they going to do? Steal formats and copy game engin.... nah, they already do that to each other.

Activision could always copy features or try to learn what EA's marketing strategy will be, who knows. And EA might have just not wanted him to start piping up about Modern Warfare 3 during their presentation, knowing how much of a loudmouth he is.

Walter said:
In fact it's been a long-running tradition at E3 for Sony to come to the Nintendo booth, and vice versa, when a new product is announced. It's more like a show of respect.

They're Japanese. :slan: Nintendo always sends a copy of its new systems to its competitors when they launch.

Walter said:
But EA may have thrown down the gauntlet this year. It was a show of disrespect.

I think people are blowing this out of proportion. It was a private event, these two companies have an open rivalry and EA is the underdog here, I'm not surprised at all that they wouldn't want to reveal their plans to Activation's CEO, even though they're presenting them to other people. And beyond that, it's their show, their booth, I can understand simply not wanting to have the guy there. It's a lack of courtesy, sure, but not such a terrible escalation of their "feud" or anything.

Walter said:
-Third party game vids shown weren't running on Wii U, but on PC/PS3/360. "Because we're talking a year away from when system is going to launch."

Actually the Darksiders II demo was apparently from the Wii U version.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BioShock Infinite is winning several Best of Show awards. Can't say I'm surprised. Also can't say I'm thrilled about the game. Everything in it looks 100% scripted. And while that works for Half-Life, the premise of BioShock isn't nearly as engaging to me.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Which reminds me.. Another year of no Half-Life 3? I think someone else mentioned that Valve wasn't going to reveal anything regarding HL3 at E3.. but i was still kind of hoping for a surprise. :/

turkitage

ターク
Dar Klink said:

Wow, that was pretty clever.

I haven't checked out all the nifty things for E3 news yet but things are looking good. Really all I cared about was Dark Souls and finally able to see a lot of game play and a set date for the release was awesome (Oct 4th). PSvita looks pretty neat and such a beefy handheld. Found it funny about the Nintendo using ps3/xbox360 footage for their Wii U highlight, but probably already mentioned on this forum. Not that big a deal, companies do this stuff all the time, just found it humorous. Update: Okay yup, it was mentioned by Walter, still kinda a weird approach though.

I keep wishing all this motion gaming and 3D stuff will go away but I guess that's not going happen. Maybe I'm just too stubborn about this stuff, but I don't like it at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
Found it funny about the Nintendo using ps3/xbox360 footage for their Wii U highlight, but probably already mentioned on this forum. Not that big a deal, companies do this stuff all the time, just found it humorous. Update: Okay yup, it was mentioned by Walter, still kinda a weird approach though.

Not surprising really. Not only does it happen all the time with X360/PS3 versions, but it would have just been more convenient for EA's presentation for example to assemble a trailer from quasi-done versions. On the other hand, like I mentioned, it seems the Darksiders II footage was indeed from the Wii U version, probably because the game's development started after (or not long before) they received dev kits.

Turkitage said:
I keep wishing all this motion gaming and 3D stuff will go away but I guess that's not going happen. Maybe I'm just too stubborn about this stuff, but I don't like it at all.

It's not so bad I think. Although the Wiimote didn't result in a plethora of great uses, I think still the concept itself is very interesting. And with the enhanced precision brought about recently (WiiMotion Plus & PS Move) I believe we'll get some more neat stuff eventually. Basically I don't think it's all bad, and it doesn't prevent people from making games that don't use motion controls. The way I see things, motion controls can be used in conjunction with traditional controls to create a better experience. I don't see a future for Kinect however, which is bad news for MS (and me, as a X360 owner). Doing away with buttons altogether is just so limiting that I can't believe they greenlighted it in the first place.

As for 3D in games (not movies), I think it's got potential. It's a bit like HD to me: not obligatory, but it enhances your experience. The main difference being that to use 3D appropriately the developers have to put some thought into how it's built in the game. As the technology will progress (no glasses required, wider angle of vision, no visible framerate drop) it'll become more and more interesting. Now of course there remains the problem of the people who can't view it or can't endure it. That sucks. I feel that I myself am not as sensitive to it as other people, meaning that the effect seems slight to me on the 3DS unless I deliberately focus on it. But it's still pretty cool, and I'm waiting for games like Starfox 64, Ace Combat or Super Mario 3D to see what can really be done with it.

Anyway, putting all that aside, I think you should be pleased with Nintendo's Wii U reveal if you're fed up with motion gaming and 3D. They're not moving forward with 3D on TV (at least for this gen), and are focusing on a more traditional experience despite the addition of a touchscreen. The motion controls remain available (imported directly from the Wii), but they're not the main attraction anymore.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I thought it would have been neat if the tablet controller was able to display glasses-free 3D... if you were able to interact with specific things in game in the 3rd dimension I think developers could really craft some interesting experiences.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
I thought it would have been neat if the tablet controller was able to display glasses-free 3D... if you were able to interact with specific things in game in the 3rd dimension I think developers could really craft some interesting experiences.
I hadn't considered that possibility until now, but yeah that would have been neat. I imagine that they excluded that feature to limit the cost of the device though. It's already not as fully-featured as it could potentially be (capacitive multitouch would be nice, but expensive), so can see why 3D would also be a corner to cut to limit the price.

The issue of capacitive multitouch vs resistance-based single-touch was broached by an article just today: http://www.cubed3.com/news/15734 Nintendo's main answer is that they want games to be backwards compatible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I hadn't considered that possibility until now, but yeah that would have been neat. I imagine that they excluded that feature to limit the cost of the device though.

I'm not sure the technology to display glasses-less stereoscopic 3D is available yet on 6.2" screen, but yeah it'd be expensive, and besides that I think they'd rather keep that particular experiment in one place for now anyway. Not to mention that it could undermine the 3DS' main commercial feature.

turkitage

ターク
Aazealh said:
Basically I don't think it's all bad, and it doesn't prevent people from making games that don't use motion controls.

I do agree that it isn't all too bad. However, I'm more worried about developers deciding to do motion controls over traditional games. Then it catches on even more and since that is where the money is at they make these 3D games with motion control and my head explodes. I like my fighting games like Street Fighter to be motion control free. Eh, but I doubt anything like this will happen soon if at all... but just more worried about the future of gaming. Though, Like you stated about 3D without glasses, I don't mind that so much.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, putting all that aside, I think you should be pleased with Nintendo's Wii U reveal if you're fed up with motion gaming and 3D. They're not moving forward with 3D on TV (at least for this gen), and are focusing on a more traditional experience despite the addition of a touchscreen. The motion controls remain available (imported directly from the Wii), but they're not the main attraction anymore.

I won't be getting a Wii U as I didn't own the first Wii because I never cared for most those games. But it was a sigh of relief when they went with that controller instead of another motion controller.

Scorpio said:

Walter said:
I hadn't considered that possibility until now, but yeah that would have been neat. I imagine that they excluded that feature to limit the cost of the device though. It's already not as fully-featured as it could potentially be (capacitive multitouch would be nice, but expensive), so can see why 3D would also be a corner to cut to limit the price.

I like the idea but I wonder what plans they have on integrating the 3DS into the Wii U. I mean, it would be a nice bonus if the 3DS users could use their 3DS as an extra (a little limited) controller compared to buying another expensive controller. They could than use the 3D stuff from the 3DS and it might be a cost effective alternative. Of course, the 3DS doesn't have all the buttons, screen space, etc as the Wii U controller but I'm sure it'd be fine on most games.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Turkitage said:
I do agree that it isn't all too bad. However, I'm more worried about developers deciding to do motion controls over traditional games.
I wouldn't worry to much about that if I were you. There's clearly an understanding on an overall crowd between the 2. Otherwise Nintendo would have invested in perhaps a better or new way of motion control features.

Turkitage said:
I like the idea but I wonder what plans they have on integrating the 3DS into the Wii U.
My initial thought when 3DS was announced, and there are a lot of bad rumors about that. Whether it is a possibility it's still unknown. Will there ever be one? Perhaps, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Maybe you will be able to hold up the 3DS to the Wii U tablet and then the Tablet up to the TV screen! like Inception!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
I do agree that it isn't all too bad. However, I'm more worried about developers deciding to do motion controls over traditional games. Then it catches on even more and since that is where the money is at they make these 3D games with motion control and my head explodes.

Nah, it was pertinent to be afraid of that a few years ago, but right now the worst is behind us. Sony and MS already emulated Nintendo as best as they could, and the result is so far rather lacking. I don't believe they'll keep pursuing that goal much longer (I give them a year before they stop focusing on it, two at max), although they might always keep it as an active option besides their next big thing (like Nintendo).

Turkitage said:
I like my fighting games like Street Fighter to be motion control free. Eh, but I doubt anything like this will happen soon if at all... but just more worried about the future of gaming. Though, Like you stated about 3D without glasses, I don't mind that so much.

I wouldn't be worried about traditional fighting games relying on gimmicks or anything. I highly doubt that'll ever happen (as a side mode, why not, but never as the main thing). As for 3D, honestly I'm quite satisfied with the experience the 3DS provides. I think we'll see some nice stuff on that platform in the future. And with the new "Playstation TV" Sony announced, we might see some cool examples of what can be done on a big screen as well.

Turkitage said:
I won't be getting a Wii U as I didn't own the first Wii because I never cared for most those games.

Just an aside to say that Suda51 confirmed that he's making a No More Heroes game for Wii U, which means I'll probably get one myself. :badbone:

And while it comes at no surprise or anything, Crytek announced that their CryEngine is practically done being ported to Wii U already, just like the Unreal Engine.

Turkitage said:
I like the idea but I wonder what plans they have on integrating the 3DS into the Wii U. I mean, it would be a nice bonus if the 3DS users could use their 3DS as an extra (a little limited) controller compared to buying another expensive controller.

Miyamoto mentioned in an interview that they're planning to allow this. As for the tablet controller, so far they're not sure they'll allow for 2 of them to be used on the same console. Still being tested to see what's best for users.

Nomad said:
I wouldn't worry to much about that if I were you. There's clearly an understanding on an overall crowd between the 2. Otherwise Nintendo would have invested in perhaps a better or new way of motion control features.

Honestly I think WiiMotion Plus does the job. It's about the same level of precision as the PS Move and is more than sufficient for anything a dev might want to throw at it. Hell, few studios even used the standard Wiimote to the max of its capacity, so I'm not worried about technical limitations. I think they've reached a good middle ground, and going further with motion controls isn't necessarily a good thing IMHO (going back to Kinect again). Maybe Skyward Sword will push the tech to its limits, we'll see, but all in all I'm satisfied with things the way they are.

Top Bottom