Episode 303

What an episode! Looks like Ganishka's past was riddled with betrayal.
Although the episode was primarily a flashback, there's still alot to take in.

Is anyone else a little surprised by how this episode began? The last page of 302 was Ganishka's face, then it goes right to the cup hitting the floor. I thought we'd see just a little more of Griffith approaching Ganishka's true body. It's minor though.

Aazealh said:
So it looks like Ganishka's apostle form was just fog all along! That damn phony and his grand talks of magic and having "true power"! Looks like he wasn't very different from the others in the end. :mozgus:
My thoughts exactly. It was a treat tho to see his fog form one final time.

If it were possible to go back in time, I would've never looked at the previews. It would've sent chills down all our spines had we read the episode as it was intended. Miura handled the reveal of Femto fantastically. The panels on page 13 totally make you think Griffith, then WHAM.

Still no Rakshas.

May 22nd isn't a bad wait at all either.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Fantastic episode.

The way the flashback is done reminds me of Eduardo Risso's drawing. (of course the style are not similar at all but the way the black and white is done in that part is simply amazing)

Do you guys think that Ganishka is done already? He seem to turn white as if he was about to be petrified. And he has a little tear in his eye at the end. I can't wait the read the translation to know more about this episode.

And obviously Skully's appearance is just wow-o-wow haha

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
jackson_hurley said:
Do you guys think that Ganishka is done already? He seem to turn white as if he was about to be petrified. And he has a little tear in his eye at the end.

Yeah the episode it's just great.
I don't think Ganishka is done already, but that's what Griffith/Femto went there to do. It may take alittle longer for Ganishka to be completely done, since skully has shown up. From that tear in his eye he might have realize he had no chance, and was just waiting for the hand to toch him. I'm not completely sure though, just some idea I had.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
If we suppose that the SK appearance wasn't foreseen by Griffith, then what should mean the taming of Ganishka?

Or Femto known that SK would appear and would have disappear the demon tower?
So SK is a puppet moved by God or Femto underestimate the power of SK?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What's to say? A truly amazing episode. I'd love to see the faces on those who doubted Berserk and its direction over the past year now.  :griff:

Proj2501 said:
If it were possible to go back in time, I would've never looked at the previews. It would've sent chills down all our spines had we read the episode as it was intended.
Yeah. page 17 in particular gave me goosebumps. Just seeing the Yobimizu no Tsurugi appear through the air like that. I can't imagine the feeling if one wasn't expecting it. "Ohhhhhh SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! Grandpa's arrived!"

jackson_hurley said:
The way the flashback is done reminds me of Eduardo Risso's drawing. (of course the style are not similar at all but the way the black and white is done in that part is simply amazing)
Yeah the style of this ep is really something else. We've seen Miura do black-faced flashbacks before, but never with this much detail and focus. For instance, we never see Ganishka's face close up, just the stylistic black silhouette. Very cool and fitting for such a dark past.

Do you guys think that Ganishka is done already? He seem to turn white as if he was about to be petrified. And he has a little tear in his eye at the end. I can't wait the read the translation to know more about this episode.
I really don't think he's about to be petrified. He probably appears to be turning white because of the light coming from Femto/Griffith. He and Femto have a little talk about light as well. A rough translation indicates that since becoming an apostle, Ganishka's life was filled with darkness, and he couldn't stand light. But now that the light is enveloping him, he sheds a tear, probably out of happiness or at the very least willing submission.

It's precisely what Ganishka was fearing back in Ep 282 when he met face to face with Griffith: "What is this comfortable, humble voice? By simply being before me, I am content with all ... A touch from this hand... and I'd sacrifice everything..." Only now, he's finally given in to that feeling of warmth.

Th3Branded0ne said:
From that tear in his eye he might have realize he had no chance, and was just waiting for the hand to toch him. I'm not completely sure though, just some idea I had.
See above.

Marik said:
If we suppose that the SK appearance wasn't foreseen by Griffith, then what should mean the taming of Ganishka?
We don't know the full implications yet. They'll either be shown in 304-305 or not at all, given the appearance of SK. We'd speculated Femto would unleash all the evil contained in the tower, but we just don't know. Too many variables.

I don't think Femto predicted SK being there, because of the way he operates. The members of God Hand didn't predict his involvement at the Eclipse either, for example. And there's always SK's speech about being "outside the story."

Marik said:
By the looks of Zodd's reaction, if Femto knew of Skully's appearance, he didn't tell anybody.
zodd_no.jpg

Click

SKully.jpg

Click

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Proj2501 said:
By the looks of Zodd's reaction, if Femto knew of Skully's appearance, he didn't tell anybody.

That also leaves the question of what kind of treatment skully will give zodd, or will he be ignored seeing femto is of more importance at the moment.

EDIT: my bad. Thanks scanbot.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Proj2501 said:

Yeah, but as Walter said, SK uses often to horn in this few men only private party.

Probably Griffith will apologize with Zodd later to make him worried. :zodd: :casca:

Flash said:
Maybe Rakshas will protect Griffith from the sword by sacrificing his own life? :rakshas:

Personally, I think that would be sad since Rakshas is probably one of the most mysterious character and it would be a shame for him to be done without finding more about him. Although there could be a flashback about his past too. Its flashback season..

I think the amount of information revealed about Ganiskha in a few panels with all the detail and with relatively little dialogue is amazingly done by Miura. Consider how all this could easily have taken a few episodes. Yet he was able to condense it all in 10-12 panels.

Going by the panels alone, I'd say that Femto is unaware of the sudden arrival of Skullknight. Femto seems to be in a mind-meld with Ganishka and I would say that the 'infamous panel 18-19 and also 20 almost seem to show that he is affected (looking down with eyes closed) by Ganishka's sad past. Femto Empathizing...... Its amazing because if that is the case then it is probably a rare departure from his emotionless, straight face expressions.

As far as the Beherit sword is concerned .. may be it is not to be seen because on the last page because it has been completely thrust into Femto :isidro:

EDIT: 5-22-09

(To the artist formerly known as GNM: Reading over your last few posts I have realized how truly attached you are to Femto/Griffith :) but I am sure you reailze that he is the antagonist and as such his fate will sooner or later be a sorry one... just saying)

MaN said:
Femto Empathizing...... Its amazing because if that is the case then it is probably a rare departure from his emotionless, straight face expressions.
I think you're misinterpreting the later half of the episode. Why would Femto bother empathizing with Ganishka? He didn't with Guts nor Casca, but he'd make an exception for someone who outright opposes him? I highly doubt Femto's feeling glum over the hardships of Ganishka's troubled past.

Aazealh said:
So it looks like Ganishka's apostle form was just fog all along! That damn phony and his grand talks of magic and having "true power" (as opposed to Locus)! Looks like he wasn't very different from the others in the end. :mozgus:

Stupid question, but if Ganishka's apostle form and his fog form were the same thing then what happened when Guts rode on Zodd's back to attack him? After the attack, didn't it turn out he was back on his throne the entire time? I'm so confused. :-/

And TY for the scans, Scanbot! Looking at the amazing artwork, I'm definitely not disappointed at all in Ganishka's background. The ornate armor and clothes are so wonderful. The architecture and various items throughout (the chairs, beds, bowls, cups, hookahs [?], etc). I love the image of the young man (Ganishka, I assume) sitting on the chair with the cobra back, framed by the entwined serpents. Along with the cobras on Ganishka's armor and helm. For a Kushan fanboy like myself, this episode is a wet dream. :ganishka:

I love page 08-09 where Daiba is holding the Beherit, sitting under a (Bodhi?) tree. It brings to mind the image of a sadhu or ascetic.

And I'm also curious about the bald man in the bushes with the blowgun at the bottom of page 03 (Dhalsim, I assume :ganishka:). I wonder if he's part of the Bakiraka, just some random assassin, or just someone holding a grudge.

This episode really was just as amazing as one would hope.

I remember there was some translation issues with the actual meaning of what Ganishka was saying, but it's now obvious what the meaning was. :griff:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Looks like Ganishka's past was riddled with betrayal.

Sadly it's a pretty accurate story when you look at historical events in the real world. Was often hard to stay on the throne for very long. Or even to get on it.

Proj2501 said:
Is anyone else a little surprised by how this episode began? The last page of 302 was Ganishka's face, then it goes right to the cup hitting the floor. I thought we'd see just a little more of Griffith approaching Ganishka's true body. It's minor though.

Yeah it's a bit abrupt. I don't mind it much, but maybe Miura will add a transition page in the volume, who knows.

Proj2501 said:
If it were possible to go back in time, I would've never looked at the previews. It would've sent chills down all our spines had we read the episode as it was intended. Miura handled the reveal of Femto fantastically. The panels on page 13 totally make you think Griffith, then WHAM.

Yeah I have to say, it's one of the rare cases where it detracted from my enjoyment. But what do you want, it's how the world works. I miss the good old days.

Proj2501 said:
May 22nd isn't a bad wait at all either.

I suppose it isn't since it's the shortest possible wait.

jackson_hurley said:

Yeah I dig the style as well. Very peculiar and yet masterfully executed. It's amazing how expressive the characters are (especially Ganishka).

jackson_hurley said:
Do you guys think that Ganishka is done already?

He might be done for, but SK's interruption may have bought him some time as well. That last shot of his eye doesn't speak of him rebelling though.

Th3Branded0ne said:
From that tear in his eye he might have realize he had no chance, and was just waiting for the hand to toch him. I'm not completely sure though, just some idea I had.

No, like Walter said he's crying because he's being enveloped by light, something he desperately wished for. Femto's got him completely mesmerized.

Marik said:

Well what he's doing with Ganishka has most likely been his plan all along. I don't think he'd planned SK's intervention.

Th3Branded0ne said:
That also leaves the question of what kind of treatment skully will give zodd, or will he be ignored seeing femto is of more importance at the moment.

Seeing how Zodd is rushing at him I doubt he's going to be able to ignore him.

Th3Branded0ne said:
EDIT: my bad. Thanks scanbot.

Guys, you don't have to thank Scanbot. If anyone has to be thanked, it's Kentarou Miura.

Flash said:
Maybe Rakshas will protect Griffith from the sword by sacrificing his own life? :rakshas:

Seems a bit late for that, don't you think? I mean SK's already struck from what we can see.

MaN said:
I think the amount of information revealed about Ganiskha in a few panels with all the detail and with relatively little dialogue is amazingly done by Miura. Consider how all this could easily have taken a few episodes. Yet he was able to condense it all in 10-12 panels.

I'm most interested in the fact he didn't know Daiba when that one gave him the beherit. He just met him randomly. I guess he was thankful once it saved his life and hunted him down to have him serve as his right hand man.

MaN said:
Femto seems to be in a mind-meld with Ganishka and I would say that the 'infamous panel 18-19 and also 20 almost seem to show that he is affected (looking down with eyes closed) by Ganishka's sad past. Femto Empathizing...... Its amazing because if that is the case then it is probably a rare departure from his emotionless, straight face expressions.

Uhhh dude... I don't think that's the case. =) Femto's face is as expressionless as ever and I doubt he gives a rat's ass about Ganishka's poor, sad life.

MaN said:
(To the artist formerly known as GNM: Reading over your last few posts I have realized how truly attached you are to Femto/Griffith :) but I am sure you reailze that he is the antagonist and as such his fate will sooner or later be a sorry one... just saying)

Well that's a good reason to enjoy his glory while it lasts. :slan:

Abul-Abbas said:
Stupid question, but if Ganishka's apostle form and his fog form were the same thing then what happened when Guts rode on Zodd's back to attack him? After the attack, didn't it turn out he was back on his throne the entire time? I'm so confused. :-/

That's not a stupid question at all. It seems Ganishka could do a lot of things usually associated with magic in his apostle form. Whether that was thanks to Daiba's knowledge or just part of his natural abilities, we don't know at this time, but it leaves quite a few loose ends. There's really a lot of things we don't know on that topic actually, and unfortunately the flashback wasn't too helpful in that regard. Daiba has always seemed very dependent on Ganishka's power for example, but he was already old when Ganishka was still human and not only provided him with his beherit but must have been the one to introduce him to "magic" as well. Then we have to wonder how and when they assembled the Daka factory, how they captured/recruited the Kundalini, etc. It's a vast question honestly, and would probably require its own thread.

Anyway, Femto's talk to Ganishka about how real light exists in the darkest of the dark is very very interesting to me. It directly refers to himself (as the light-bearer) and to the Falcon of Light/Darkness duality. I'm almost pissed at SK for disturbing the scene in that regard. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
That's not a stupid question at all. It seems Ganishka could do a lot of things usually associated with magic in his apostle form. Whether that was thanks to Daiba's knowledge or just part of his natural abilities, we don't know at this time, but it leaves quite a few loose ends. There's really a lot of things we don't know on that topic actually, and unfortunately the flashback wasn't too helpful in that regard. Daiba has always seemed very dependent on Ganishka's power for example, but he was already old when Ganishka was still human and not only provided him with his beherit but must have been the one to introduce him to "magic" as well. Then we have to wonder how and when they assembled the Daka factory, how they captured/recruited the Kundalini, etc. It's a vast question honestly, and would probably require its own thread.

:daiba:

Well I think we haven't hear the last from Daiba. Miura seems to have devoted enough time on him. He's already had at least 2-3 times where he could've easily been killed. Once at his encounter with Guts and Co., getting BBQ'd by Ganishka right after and then when Ganishka through himself into the Daka factory. Yet, he's still alive which leads me to believe Miura has some more screen time in mind for him. Who more perfect to expand on further magic related questions than him? Just a GUT feeling.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Well I think we haven't hear the last from Daiba. Miura seems to have devoted enough time on him. He's already had at least 2-3 times where he could've easily been killed. Once at his encounter with Guts and Co., getting BBQ'd by Ganishka right after and then when Ganishka through himself into the Daka factory. Yet, he's still alive which leads me to believe Miura has some more screen time in mind for him. Just a GUT feeling.

Yeah I was actually thinking the same thing, not to mention that we've discussed this before. However the question remains the same: what would he do? Join with Silat? With Griffith? Would they accept him?

It'd be great if Daiba himself could shed some light on all those unanswered questions, but I'm honestly not holding my breath.

Aazealh said:
Yeah I was actually thinking the same thing, not to mention that we've discussed this before. However the question remains the same: what would he do? Join with Silat? With Griffith?

He doesn't necessarily have to side with anyone. If I had to bet on who would encounter Daiba next, I'd like to think Silat. He did after all serve and answer directly to Ganishka. It's seems logical Silat would have crossed paths with Daiba in the past. Yes Silat was unaware of Ganishka's true nature, but he must've at least seen Daiba at one point.

Maybe Daiba will be the one to plant seeds of dissent in Falconia. Not that seeing demons manifest in front of you wouldn't be proof enough...

Aazealh said:
Seems a bit late for that, don't you think? I mean SK's already hit Femto from what we can see.

Yes, of course. But he could be hiding on a Femto’s “cloak”, like he did on a Zodd’s wing.
Otherwise, I don’t think Femto is able to withstand the direct hit by such powerful weapon. At least, his physical body would be destroyed and I don’t think it’s meant to happen on this stage of the story.

May be it’s an awkward version, but I have a feeling, that Rakshas has to make a move in given circumstances.

My favorite pages are definitely 10 and 11. I really like Ganishka's expression. I could look at those two pages for a long time.

On a side note, the way Ganishka is shown in those two pages reminded me of some illustrations depicting the sun I've seen somewhere.

Regarding Rakshas' whereabouts, what if he wrapped his body around SK's sword and that's somehow why we can't see it? The guy's got some moves, right? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
He doesn't necessarily have to side with anyone.

True, he could go on his merry way, living his solo adventures. Maybe even go back to his former life of sitting under a tree alongside the road. :void:

Proj2501 said:
Maybe Daiba will be the one to plant seeds of dissent in Falconia.

Hmm, I have a feeling he wouldn't last very long if he did that.

Flash said:
Otherwise, I don’t think Femto is able to withstand the direct hit by such powerful weapon. At least, his physical body would be destroyed and I don’t think it’s meant to happen on this stage of the story.

I don't know about that. Many different things could happen at this point. One extreme possibility is that SK's weapon could leave Femto unaffected. That'd be bad news for our bony friend. Or maybe it'd hurt Femto, leave him with a scar even when posing as Griffith (tales to tell Charlotte in front of the fireplace during long winter nights), but not doing enough damage to incapacitate him. There's a lot of possibilities.

Flash said:
May be it’s an awkward version, but I have a feeling, that Rakshas has to make a move in given circumstances.

Same here of course. He's probably up to something. :rakshas:

m said:
Regarding Rakshas' whereabouts, what if he wrapped his body around SK's sword and that's somehow why we can't see it? The guy's got some moves, right? :troll:

Hmm, he could have deviated the hit so that SK struck nothing but the air, which resulted in a dimensional slice above Femto but not touching him. Far-fetched, I know. =)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:

I assume that, barring additions, there's a planned page break between those episodes in the eventual volume.

Proj2501 said:

I actually wouldn't change a thing, it's like I've been enjoying this episode for a week already!

jackson_hurley said:
Do you guys think that Ganishka is done already?

I think so, just by the way Griffith swept his hand over his eyelid to close it, as one would with someone whose passed away, literally and figuratively bringing him to his end.

MaN said:
Going by the panels alone, I'd say that Femto is unaware of the sudden arrival of Skullknight. Femto seems to be in a mind-meld with Ganishka and I would say that the 'infamous panel 18-19 and also 20 almost seem to show that he is affected (looking down with eyes closed) by Ganishka's sad past.

That's a lot of assumptions for going by the panels alone. I don't think Femto really expected Skully either, but wouldn't assume he's so distracted that he's less aware of the situation than Zodd.

MaN said:
Femto Empathizing...... Its amazing because if that is the case then it is probably a rare departure from his emotionless, straight face expressions.

It's interesting, because Femto has been different in all his appearances. In volume 3 he was a smirking asshole, in volume 13 a silent, horrible, but captivating monster, and here we find him seemingly detached and enlightened (basically like the reborn Griffith). I'm most curious to see what happens if/when he goes back to looking like Griffith.

MaN said:
As far as the Beherit sword is concerned .. may be it is not to be seen because on the last page because it has been completely thrust into Femto :isidro:

Wouldn't we see it sticking out or something? If it went into him or a portal like cut about him, that could either be really good or really bad for Skully.

MaN said:

Darn it, what gave it away, my posting about Berserk under some variation of the name "Griffith" for going on a decade? =)

Anyway, I'm well aware of his place in the story, thanks, as I reiterated in this very thread concerning the possibilities of Skully's ambush. I'd like to think it gives me some added perspective that I'm not actively rooting for Griffith to be cut in half in every episode he appears in. A lot of my analysis and speculation around this scene comes purely from a literary standpoint of what I think Miura has in mind and what he's possibly setting us up for, strictly from a storytelling standpoint, not what's technically "happening" in the panels. In this case, either reinforcing Griffith's absolute supremacy at this juncture, or showing us a chink in his armor and giving a glimmer of hope for his destruction.

Proj2501 said:
Well I think we haven't hear the last from Daiba... he's still alive which leads me to believe Miura has some more screen time in mind for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gave some added perspective at the end of this series of events, like he just did concerning humans and Apostles interacting.

Aazealh said:
Or maybe it'd hurt Femto, leave him with a scar even when posing as Griffith (tales to tell Charlotte in front of the fireplace during long winter nights), but not doing enough damage to incapacitate him.

Damn it, you got that one out before me! But you didn't mention the grotesque Femto-textured nature of scar down his back, which would forever mark him as the monster he is and drive him to maddness! :SK:

Aazealh said:
Femto's talk to Ganishka about how real light exists in the darkest of the dark is very very interesting to me. It directly refers to himself (as the light-bearer) and to the Falcon of Light/Darkness duality.

Griffith is literally Lucifer. =)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Awesome episode! I can't wait for the translation. Even though we know the gist of the situation, it's not the same as reading Miura's dialogue in full.

Aazealh said:
I don't know about that. Many different things could happen at this point. One extreme possibility is that SK's weapon could leave Femto unaffected. That'd be bad news for our bony friend. Or maybe it'd hurt Femto, leave him with a scar even when posing as Griffith (tales to tell Charlotte in front of the fireplace during long winter nights), but not doing enough damage to incapacitate him. There's a lot of possibilities.

I hope that the attack did connect. Perhaps SK's plan was not to kill Femto, but to cripple his GH status; then he wouldn't be so "untouchable" in the living world. I would really like to see Griffith worried for a change, since he would be in Guts' arena :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Damn it, you got that one out before me! But you didn't mention the grotesque Femto-textured nature of scar down his back, which would forever mark him as the monster he is and drive him to maddness! :SK:

I saw you were posting, didn't want to leave you without anything to add. :guts:

Judas Priestly said:
Perhaps SK's plan was not to kill Femto, but to cripple his GH status; then he wouldn't be so "untouchable" in the living world.

I think SK is pragmatic and level-headed enough to just go for the kill instead of simply "crippling his status". :SK:

What's interesting is that while Zodd immediately charges at SK, Femto doesn't even try to look around.
Sure, everything happend really fast, but he should at least be able to turn his head in time.
Doesn't he feel the need to do anything, as he is (or thinks of himself as) untouchable, even to the SK?
Was :SK: just too fast so that Femto really had no time for anything?
Or does the Panel on Page 20 imply that he indeed notices SK, but decides to ignore him?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to some dialog between SK and Femto in 304.
Both have great knowledge and deep understanding of how the world works,
a chat between those two could proof very interesting and very revealing.

Top Bottom