Episode 349

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Oh yeah! I've just ordered mine, which should be here in a million years (since I'm very far from Japan hehe). But I thought having an issue with one of the most important subject in it was worth it! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Amazingly exciting stuff. The episode title is "The Corridor of Dreams".

We can see a piece of the broken doll on one of the pages, as Schierke and Farnese bear witness to Casca's memories of the Bonfire of Dreams. Exactly as I expected! They will restore her by collecting these missing pieces. And they do more than bear witness, they even feel what Casca felt at the time. Also of note is that the memory of young Guts at the Bonfire of Dreams is what turns into that part of the broken doll.

Schierke also seems to realize that her gear has been transformed because she's a dream-version of herself. So she's got some miniature versions of her former feats of magic in her pouch that she can just throw on the floor and voilà, MEGA-GOLEM and THE WHEEL OF FLAMES appear. It looks like these will be much needed to fight against an onslaught of flying enemies, too. A part of Casca trying to prevent them from —literally— piecing the puzzle together?

What we see of Guts in the real world is the missing page from the sketches that were included in the guidebook. Guts lives up to his past self here, preferring to stay alone, far away from the party (pretty damn far, too). I can't help but be reminded of his first party with the Band of the Falcon, when Judo and Pippin went to take him down by force so he could join the rest of them. Fittingly, it's Roderick and Serpico who come to him here, each bearing their own burden and reflecting on it (Serpico with how Farnese has changed, for example). Of course, it's also not a coincidence that this parallels his being alone during the Bonfire of Dreams scene either.

Lastly, love the theatrics from drunken Isidro and how the boys seem fascinated by his tales of adventure. Same goes for smug-drunk Isma showing off her tail. And Azan truly does seem to have found kindred spirits in the dwarves too. Can't wait to see the rest of the episode!!

Wow, the Bonfire of Dreams! That is nostalgic
guts-sad.gif

I'm wondering what Farnese is thinking by herself in that middle panel in the page with young Guts.

Absolutely, so absurdly excited. I cannot wait.

I get stupid excited about every episode but these are the moments that really define my Berserk fandom.

Aazealh said:
"...The Guts that I don't know"

Thanks!
It's indeed interesting to see Farnese and Schierke finally discover how Guts was in the past. They no doubt are wondering right now what could have happened to change both him and Casca so much.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Damn, that's a helluva "preview!" This is like cutting out a piece of cake and taking everything but the slice. Why not just include the remaining few pages? :guts:

Anyway, very exciting, especially that Guts' past is finally being revealed to his closest friends... via Casca (that's what you get for being so closed off, big guy =). And while it is a familiar touchstone, I think this is more what people expected, in a positive way. It would be difficult to deconstruct Casca's state of mind, both for the characters and us, via abstractions alone. Actually, the abstractions may be the problem, since it's things like this vivid and powerful memory that are more coherent and meaningful to the conscious mind.

Aazealh said:
"...The Guts that I don't know"

And never will: Deal with it. :badbone: :farnese:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, very exciting, especially that Guts' past is finally being revealed to his closest friends... via Casca (that's what you get for being so closed off, big guy =).

I think that's fitting actually. In fact I wonder if I didn't speculate about it before lol. What I'm curious is whether he'll simultaneously open up to the guys back in the real world. They seem to be in a feeling-sharing mood back there. It'd be interesting to have him confide some things to Roderick & Serpico while Farnese and Schierke get to relive some of his and Casca's past (from her perspective).

Griffith said:
And never will: Deal with it. :badbone: :farnese:

Just wait until the waterfall memory. :casca:
Although that calls to mind a much scarier and ghastly thought: how they will get through the Eclipse. :magni:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I think that's fitting actually. In fact I wonder if I didn't speculate about it before lol. What I'm curious is whether he'll simultaneously open up to the guys back in the real world. They seem to be in a feeling-sharing mood back there. It'd be interesting to have him confide some things to Roderick & Serpico while Farnese and Schierke get to relive some of his and Casca's past (from her perspective).

Damn it, the thought occurred to me as well but I forgot to write it! I swear. =)

Aazealh said:
Just wait until the waterfall memory. :casca:
Although that calls to mind a much scarier and ghastly thought: how they will get through the Eclipse. :magni:

We sort of knew all roads lead there, but if they're sharing Casca's feelings then YIKES! :magni:-indeed

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
We sort of knew all roads lead there, but if they're sharing Casca's feelings then YIKES! :magni:-indeed

Yeeeeeeeep. With the way the dog, coffin, doll and all were represented, I figured all her memories might take on surreal forms, but it wasn't the case here... So will the really traumatic events also be depicted as they happened? Will some parts be as they happened while others are figurative? Finding out is sure to be a dreadful time.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Yeeeeeeeep. With the way the dog, coffin, doll and all were represented, I figured all her memories might take on surreal forms, but it wasn't the case here... So will the really traumatic events also be depicted as they happened? Will some parts be as they happened while others are figurative? Finding out is sure to be a dreadful time.

I wonder if Danan will need to intervene if it becomes too traumatic.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Rhombaad said:

That's a very good question. And it might be a bit too soon to say this but I'm starting to wonder if they'll only have
broken doll pieces to find or if as Aaz suggested, if the other piece are gonna more symbolic?

Any so far 'm still excited and can't wait to read the whole thing with it's translation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:

Good question. Could be, although it's hard to know what her powers are over that place. Can she alter the dream itself or shield them from enduring the full agony that Casca suffered? Maybe, more simply, they will only feel a tinge of it. Either way it's going to be tough to get through... for them and for us readers.

By the way, in case anyone's interested, the line Guts says in the dream when he turns around is a tiny one from the Bonfire of Dreams scene where he makes fun of Casca specifically for coming up with that name (we hear her say it on the previous page). Dark Horse's translation for it is: "You smooth talker, you sound like some princess." I thought that was an interesting choice.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
By the way, in case anyone's interested, the line Guts says in the dream when he turns around is a tiny one from the Bonfire of Dreams scene where he makes fun of Casca specifically for coming up with that name (we hear her say it on the previous page). Dark Horse's translation for it is: "You smooth talker, you sound like some princess." I thought that was an interesting choice.

I already assumed the scene was important because it's when she started to view Guts differently and the changing dynamics between them solidified, but it also suggests she was seeing herself differently as well and Guts, perhaps inadvertently, tapped into that.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Oh, Miura. How are you so amazing. I've never wanted more from something or someone. Can't wait to read this episode :ubik:

From what you guys are discussing here, do you think it would ever come to them deliberately choosing to leave a memory/piece out because it's perhaps too powerful or upon regaining such would cause Casca to again become too unstable and break?

-Great preview indeed! Very excited!

Of course people I follow on Tumblr are posting the spoilers :schierke:

But it was nice seeing that Guts, Serpico, and Roderick are going to have a bro moment together. A broment.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
From what you guys are discussing here, do you think it would ever come to them deliberately choosing to leave a memory/piece out because it's perhaps too powerful or upon regaining such would cause Casca to again become too unstable and break?

No, I don't think so.

Top Bottom