Gravity

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Was thinking for a long time about doing a Berserk abstract; some image that could encapsualte the theme of the series. Then, in the middle of a long road trip, the image came to me. Using various tools and paints, I managed to replicate the original idea down to the double helix. It was fun and... I'm proud.

PS: Guess what that red "dot" in the center is and win a prize.

Hmm, if i had to guess i would say Behelit as well. Seeing that has already been said i would guess blood. Can you give any clues if none of the answers are right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DemonX said:
hehe to me it looks like its a cat that has its back turned to the screen :)
Wow, thanks for playing, but I'm sorry we've run out of consolation prizes.

... Saiyajin had the right Idea ...

Uyennie

Next stop: Bedlam!
What were you thinking when you chose these images and colors to represent Berserk? Why "gravity" in the center?

It'd be nice to hear the artist's thoughts of the process.
Thanks Uyen

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Damn, too late to reply, although Saiyajin already won. ;D

This generated a lot of conversation between me and my boyfriend. I interpreted it as every element in the painting being drawn towards the red "dot" in the center, spiraling in towards it. Given the title, Idea made sense.

So, like Uyennie, I was wondering what everything in the painting represents? I'm sure everyone recognizes the grey spiral, but what about the red and white swirls? I interpreted them as two opposing forces, being drawn towards the center, something common to both forces. Red&White Sprials=Guts and Griffith? Tell me tell me!

Feel free to point and laugh if I interpreted wrong. That doesn't mean the piece sucks, only that I'm a jackass.

This piece is really awesome, Walter. Thanks!

Kart

Resident /b/tard
looking at it again, it could be.

The red represents gutts and the white represents griffith.

Griffith being the son of fate is destined to hold the world in his hand (the white sphere, and white line representing his hand)

The red, being gutts, the redheaded stepchild of fate, tortured and abused reachs for peace (the white sphere)

inside the sphere I supose it could be caskas sanity, or the world.

The gray spiral represents causality, or rather the spiral of karma in which the world is trapped.

so it's more like, Gutts and Griffith are reaching for the same object, or walking toward eachother on the path of destiny and the world will be their battlefield perhaps?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The last two posts nailed it pretty much, although Kart's theory goes a little more in detail than I had when I concieved it. It's less about the ultimate goal of each character and more about the theme of the series. "Gravity" is simply how two forces (Yes, Guts and Griffith) are drawn from the universe of souls to be at odds with each other, all to facilitate Idea's purposes.

The idea for a Berserk abstract came to me when Schierke was confronting Guts' soul. I was blown away by Miura's depiction of Guts inner-self and it gave me a slew of good ideas, but more than that, it challenged me to break apart the whole series into one, simple theme that could be represented by simple shapes (as Guts' soul was represented by a very simple, visceral form.)

Why red black and white? Two reasons.
1) We don't have a huge variety of paints in my apartment ;)
2) These colors work: Black represents the Abyss; the void beneath the surface of the Astral plane. Black is also meant to imply the cosmic importance of the events in the painting. The white globe, the throne of the Idea of Evil, represents the world, which Idea is the "heart" of. The "Hawk in Red" painting I did previously also featured the World as a huge white globe, which also had a double helix stemming out from it.

The Red streak represents Guts. The white streak represents Griffith. Guts experiences all of the bloody hardships of life, trudging through the world, he has always gravitated towards Idea's plan, unbeknownst to him.

The contour of each streak implies a circular path. Decending to ultimately ascend? Vice-versa? Not sure myself. But there is a pattern for both of these people.

War, Life, Death, the Universe. They're all here and as much as it pains me to support the old and beaten Red, White and Black color schemes of so many Berserk websites, the colors do work.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to sell this to get some money for a move I'm going through right now. Check the Merchandise thread here, if you're interested: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12463

Top Bottom