John Rambo Trailer

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Remember all those early rumors about Rambo IV? Including:
In the new story, Rambo parachutes into Afghanistan to battle leaders of the Taliban. A possible storyline would involve the pumped-up hero with the oiled chest capturing terror chief Osama bin Laden alive.

Well, someone brought this idea, what really should have been Rambo IV, to life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9YyH53H_Gs =)

Also interesting from that rumor page is this:
Miramax chairman Bob Weinstein says Rambo IV is in the stages for a e-script this summer - with at least a $50 million budget. Weinstein says, "We'd love nothing more than for Stallone to be involved. We think it's a billion-dollar property." The new script involves Rambo tackling drug dealers in an American government building.

Now possibly the basis for Rambo V? Sounds very Die Hard.

I heard the movie got an NC 17 rating at first, but the studio argued for an R and got it. Its pretty hard to get and keep an NC 17 rating without a lot of hardcore nudity in the film. Good old American values, lots of violence but a dick and its bad times.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've finally seen the movie, since it finally came out there. I can't say I disliked it, but I find myself agreeing with pretty much everything Griffith said in his spoilered post (which I just read now). It's actually saving me a lot of typing. :guts:

I find it strange that they went the route they did to be honest. I didn't hate the mercs, but they felt really tacked on, and they deprived us of some much needed Rambo action. The beginning was too slow and didn't focus on him enough, rather it spent time on new characters that didn't matter in the end. And the movie really was too short. 20 minutes more wouldn't have been a luxury. I get the point of depicting the atrocities of war and "Rambo's old and not an invincible one man army" but it felt more like a spin-off than a real sequel here to me. It's like he did a long cameo in some random war flick. Considering how legendary the character is, having him take on all those guys alone wouldn't have been a problem.

The gore and violence were far above anything seen in a Rambo movie before, but that didn't bother me all that much, it's the times that want that. Seeing all the kids eagerly telling us about how they like Berserk mainly (only?) because it's violent is enough proof. Sadly, the trailer itself was pure awesome and a glimpse of what the movie should have been (it's becoming habitual); in fact it had practically all the best moments in it. There's one thing I feel like bitching about though, and it's the sniper rifle "Schoolboy" uses. Ok, so people flying when hit is a cool effect, but that's not realistic at all. If you're going to spray blood everywhere and include rapes to show what things are really like, then don't make people fly 10 feet backwards when they're hit by a bullet.

I haven't seen it yet (though I still intend to), but the school paper just had these two guys write their takes on it. One came off like a cry baby, "Rambo is the Epitome of Moral Degredation in American Society", and the other was just....
Here's a highlight:

"By combining nonstop action with a deeply philosophical question ['what is the best way for dealing with a country whose citizens are subject to human rights violence?'], Stallone creates not only the best sequel of any movie (really?) but also a movie that is bound to take Citizen Kane's spot on the best movies of all time.

Wow.
If that's true, I really don't know what everyone's complaining about. :ganishka:

Guts[LCF]

† Kuroi Kenshi †
I thought the movie was good, I wanted to see an action movie like the good old days and I got to see one with Rambo IV. If anyone went to see this hoping to see the biggest plot in existence.. I laugh at you. :chomp:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Basically Grif and Aaz summed up my opinions. I really enjoyed it, but if it had taken more from its predecessors (multiple theaters of war (land, sea, and air), more variety of weapons, have more than a single big scene where Rambo devours legions of hapless soldiers...) it could have been worlds better. Rambo: First Blood Part II remains my favorite, with maybe this new one nudging out First Blood and III.

YES! It's Rambo AND I have a valid question (:serpico:), so it's warranted.

Anyone got this?

hcg9225.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really liked the movie. It was just crazy violence, but it was a fun, gross ride. I remember thinking while watching it: They don't make movies like this anymore.

Felt that same way, Walter. Which's why I had high hopes for The Expendables but that movie disappointed a bit in the gore/ action department. Those bullets he was shooting at the end - holes in bodies/ limbs flying - is somewhat of an accurate depiction of that kind of artillery as told to a friend of mine by his pal in the Marines/ Military (can't remember).

Benz's whispering kinda soft voice = hot.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Something that is particularly interested about Rambo is the reaction the movie received in Burma:

Reception in Myanmar
The film is currently banned by the Myanmar government. The military junta has ordered DVD vendors in Myanmar not to distribute the film due to the movie's content.[24] Despite having never been released there theatrically or on DVD, Rambo is, however, available there in bootleg versions. Despite the film being unpopular among some of the population due to the negative portrayal of the Tatmadaw, the opposition youth group Generation Wave copied and distributed the film as anti-Tatmadaw propaganda.[25]
According to Karen Freedom Fighters, the movie gave them a great boost of morale. Myanmarese Freedom Fighters have even adopted dialogue from the movie (most notably "Live for nothing, or die for something") as rallying points and battle cries. "That, to me," said Sylvester Stallone, "is one of the proudest moments I've ever had in film."[24] Also, overseas Myanmarese have praised the movie for its vivid portrayal of the military's oppression of the Karen people.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I really liked the movie. It was just crazy violence, but it was a fun, gross ride. I remember thinking while watching it: They don't make movies like this anymore.

I agree. It was gloriously violent.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
It wasn't a bad movie, but I didn't think it was particularly good, either. I liked it better than Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III, but First Blood is still my favorite (that's another movie I've watched a dozen times, just not in the theater).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
It wasn't a bad movie, but I didn't think it was particularly good, either. I liked it better than Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III, but First Blood is still my favorite (that's another movie I've watched a dozen times, just not in the theater).

The first movie is really miles above the rest. I actually don't think they have much in common apart from the "Rambo" name and Trautman's recurring appearances, kind of like how the original Mad Max feels nothing like its sequels at all.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
The first movie is really miles above the rest. I actually don't think they have much in common apart from the "Rambo" name and Trautman's recurring appearances, kind of like how the original Mad Max feels nothing like its sequels at all.

It could also be argued that the First Blood film and the novel it's based on don't have much in common besides the names of the characters and the setting (small town, woods, etc.).

If they were ever to remake a classic, I might be up for seeing a First Blood remake that sticks closer to the novel. I'm kind of feeling that way about the Total Recall remake, though I don't know why they're calling it "Total Recall" and not "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". (I've always liked Philip K. Dick's titles, especially "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?")

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I don't know why they're calling it "Total Recall" and not "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". (I've always liked Philip K. Dick's titles, especially "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?")
It's because those titles are utter nightmares for marketing.

Top Bottom