Movies you've recently watched

Can't say I've seen many films these past few years that I would genuinely recommend friends and family, but that being said I recently saw the crime thriller Dragged Across Concrete (directed by S. Craig Zahler of Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Bone Tomahawk fame) and it was quite a fun ride. Pacing is slow (intentionally) but it builds up to such a crazy rollercoaster that it really pays off towards the climax and resolution of the film. I'm torn between this or Cell Block 99 as my favorite film of his, but I think Zahler is on a roll and am looking forward to what he does next. Definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Heat or films of that ilk.
I liked Bone Tomahawk a lot more than CB 99, both pretty different. Thanks for the write up. I missed seeing DAC last month cos work was extremely busy, hope to have the time to hit it up before it disappears from theaters.

Ever watch Green Room or Blue Ruin?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really liked Green Room. I was just down for evil Patrick Stewart and ended up getting quite a bit more, hehe. One of the best low-budget movies I've seen in some time. I really admired how much they did with such a limited set. I still need to sit down for Blue Ruin.

I've rewatched "The Thing" recently. And i'm talking about the one from 1982. The special effects and the way the monster looks still looks amazing too this day! :ubik:

I liked Bone Tomahawk a lot more than CB 99, both pretty different. Thanks for the write up. I missed seeing DAC last month cos work was extremely busy, hope to have the time to hit it up before it disappears from theaters.

I have not. :( I will definitely check those out sooner rather than later. I've heard good things about both. And yeah, if you enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, DAC might be up your alley. Not as gory as BT and definitely not reinventing the wheel, but still an enjoyable watch.

I've rewatched "The Thing" recently. And i'm talking about the one from 1982. The special effects and the way the monster looks still looks amazing too this day! :ubik:
Can never go wrong with The Thing. :badbone: Something about 80s movies haha.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Was pleasantly surprised by Avengers: Endgame. As someone who thought Infinity War was a boring, predictable slogfest, nearly everything they did in this movie abated my concerns with its first half. And it's all spoilery of course, but in brief, they made good on the damage done by the snap, which was something I had utterly no faith they could pull off.

I spent most of my Infinity War review complaining about how ridiculous it was for a comic book movie to attempt to pull off a mass-death sequence involving key franchises and expect it to emotionally resonate with an audience that has been trained like dogs to lap up every morsel of new Marvel movie info. And while OF COURSE 100% of those superhero deaths were reverted by the end, it didn't matter. Because the emotional impact of those deaths had already taken its toll on the main cast within the scope of the story. The effect it had on the characters vindicated the momentary embarrassment of asking the audience to doubt "the snap" was fleeting. The writers took that opportunity and did some really interesting and entertaining things with the (some of) the characters. So that won me over, right from the get-go. Salt-and-Pepper Hulk needs his own movie now.

The 3h length felt appropriate to me, because in a movie that ends with two massive armies duking it out over a blinged out cosmic football, it still afforded enough space to land the emotional punches without feeling cheap or forced. And they held true to hanging it up for two of the biggest characters in the franchise. Good on them. It certainly felt like it was time, and it's appropriate that it was Tony, given that the success of his first movie is what forged this whole thing.

Now, I do appreciate that a rematch with Thanos seemed the most appropriate way to up the anté here. But the way in which that opportunity manifested felt grossly contrived. Every ridiculous step in the process that led to Nebula opening a time portal for Thanos and his forces to appear, create a massive crater, and have everyone survive with a few scrapes. Come ... on. It was so happenstance and pat that it almost felt like it required some kind of "the stones are calling to me" grounding or something to justify it. But whatever, it truly was "inevitable." And it created some really fantastic moments. I had forgotten how much I had wanted Cap to wield Mjolnir until it happened, and that was a great fucking moment. Even if it didn't really add up to much more than spectacle, it was good to see that promise delivered.

Ending something is hard. But despite the overwrought nature of this universe, they did a great job hitting the right buttons to bring this to a satisfying closure, even saying that as someone who only enjoyed maybe 1/4 of the Marvel movies I saw. This one earned the emotion and spectacle that most of these movies simply claim as a matter of course.

Last edited:

Griffith

My posts are better.
Was pleasantly surprised by Avengers: Endgame. As someone who thought Infinity War was a boring, predictable slogfest, nearly everything they did in this movie abated my concerns with its first half.
Glad you enjoyed yourself, and even though it was messier and more indulgent than the relatively focused and restrained Infinity War, it took the time because it could and actually used it, had the better moments and emotional resonance, and indeed earned this. It was also fun and inventive in addition to paying all this off and maybe breaking every box office record. So, kudos to Marvel.

Now, as many have pointed out, and I felt this way watching, this was more like a season/series finale than the conclusion to a bunch of films. Of course it's not meant to be the end, never will be, etc, but I can't help but feel like they almost did too good a job putting a bow on this so it won't be the same again and that much harder to keep their unprecedented winning streak going, critically and financially (even nu-Star Wars had a bomb four films in). Like, where do they go from here? Besides another GotG, Black Panther, and I guess Spider-Man, I can't think of anything must-see from Marvel now. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they've always found a way, but it feels like the end of an era where there's now more questions than answers.

I enjoyed Endgame more on the first watch than the second. I think I prefer Infinity War over this movie because there's more Thanos and the build up to the snap was a bit more intense compared to Endgame. On my second viewing, it was a different kind of excitement because you're in the know of what's to come and the 2nd act (Time Heist portion) kinda fell flat. Overall, it's definitely a lot of fun (thanks, Thor) and I'll watch Infinity War x Endgame (together) again when it's available on BR.

Did Peter Parker show up before the movie to say "Hey, we'll play the trailer for the new Spiderman film after the movie ... so as not to spoil folks."? I thought that was weird haha. I mean, what's the point. We know there's another movie with the same actor in it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Did Peter Parker show up before the movie to say "Hey, we'll play the trailer for the new Spiderman film after the movie ... so as not to spoil folks."? I thought that was weird haha. I mean, what's the point. We know there's another movie with the same actor in it.
It's because of what is conveyed about Tony.

Griffith

My posts are better.
Speaking of Spider-Man, I saw Far From Home and it was a perfect...ly adequate entry in the Marvel canon. Again, the strength of these movies is they're not afraid to do weirdly specific, everyday and even casual stuff with the characters, but the downside is it can feel like we're also not aiming very high here and it is just a casual experience, "hang, no pun intended, with Spider-Man for a couple hours, no big deal." Maybe that's exacerbated by following the transcendentally good, existentially significant for the character Spider-Verse (which I saw a couple weeks ago and it mostly lived up to its excellent reputation after a slow start). The best part of FFH was Mysterio's fever dream-like illusions, which there could have been more of. Otherwise, eh, it was aight; mid-tier Marvel but getting raves as usual. It also introduced something of a significant dissonance for me because of the appearance of a certain actor, but I haven't seen that much discussed so maybe it's just me. Anyway, the obligatory updated Spider-Rankings!

Spider-Man 2 - Still leaving it as the quintessential Spidey-movie and a transcendent classic of the genre.
Into the Spider-Verse - The existential Spidey-movie and transcendent classic of the genre.
Homecoming - Was different and paid off well enough on the promise of Holland's Civil War appearance.
Spider-Man - Iconic, innovative, and influential, but penalized for organic web shooters, Macy Gray, and other goofy shit.
Civil War - Penalized for not being a Spidey movie, but 100% great Spider-scenes.
Far From Home - Like I said, it was good, not great or significant.
The Amazing Spider-Man - A decent enough retread, uses real web-shooters, but penalized for Andrew Garfield.
Italian Spiderman - Should be higher.
Spider-Man 3 - A mess that's as bad as you remember, but also better than you do too.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - A miserably messy retread AND a dead end. Led to MCU and Spider-Verse though.

Most of the top seven could be flipped or even move around a couple spots with their adjacent Spidey-films, showing just how consistently good Spidey's been on the big screen. Except for the bottom two of course (Bonus: A lady's POV, largely by era, The Raimi trilogy, dancing and all, Spider-Verse, the Holland movies, and then the Amazing movies, with 2 edging out 1 because it kills Emma Stone =).

Last edited:
Top Bottom