Shadow of the Colossus

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Does anyone here already own this amazing quasi-sequel to ICO? I saw it in action yesterday, and even after anticipating it for over a year, it still took my breath away. The soundtrack has already taken its place among the best of the best, in my opinion. Right up there with FF6 and SotN. It's getting stellar reviews all across the net, and next weekend, I'm even buying a PS2 for it.

Click the image for the official US site, which has screenshots and trailers.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Yea I'm playing it right now. It really is cool looking. The designs are great, the atmosphere is good, and those moments were you realize the size of the enemy never get old to me. There are some great moments in it, for instance when you're racing your horse in between the moving legs of a collossi, the earth shaking and the dirt from the impact of its footsteps being thrown high into the air. The animations are amazingly fluid.

The problems I have with it (and there aren't too many) are that the controls and camera control are a bit quirky, and take some time getting used to. For those who have been playing the game, you probably the same experience I have with your horse in that you'll occasionally get into a "hopping session" in your attempt to mount the damned thing. Also, while I haven't finished the game yet the collossi I've had to fight are relatively simple once you figure out the initial challenge of how to scale the beast. Also, aside from finding the collossi and enjoying the view, the rest of the world's kinda pointless.

However, theres no doubt this game's an original gem, and worth playing for anyone interested. Whether or not I would have bought a PS2 just to play this game is debateable, but seeing as the consoles are getting cheaper sure, go for it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I realize the game may have some quirks with interface, and the replay value of it is a moot point, but I'm buying it on the sheer basis of visual badassedness and gameplay.

CnC, played ICO?

CnC

Ad Oculos
I was playing ICO shortly before I bought Colossus. I'm a few hours in but I need to finish Colossus before I get back to it. :carcus:
So far I'm loving the look and the mechanics.

I really like the concept of the inept (or at least human) main character in the two games. You're not some ultimate badass who can slay hundreds upon hundreds of enemies or gifted with incredible magical ability (unbelievability). You're an identifiable character trying your best against impossible odds. And in a game where you barely know anything about the character, you find yourself identifying with him despite that- And probably more-so than the characters in other games where entire books are written on the his/her past.

And the visuals in both games are amazing too. They both seem to like the desaturated/almost monochromatic scheme. You'd think you'd find everything running together into a muddied palette, but for some reason everything stands out and almost every frame could be a painting.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Its about time someone made a topic about this awesome game. I am going to deafeat the last colossus tomorrow. I think I'm ready, my life bar nearly stretches the whole length of the screen and my grip meter is also very big. Nearly finishing, I must say this game is amazing. The soundtrack is really sweet and despite the lack of any other enemies there is a HUGE world to explore. Fighting the colossus is fun but there is something even better, WHITE TAILED LIZARDS AND FRUIT TREES! I think I spent more time looking for them than colossus. Hey CnC, what colossus was your favorite? Mine was number 13! Walter, don't think of it as buying the system for just one game, CASTLEVANIA COMES OUT NEXT WEEK. In spite of the mediocre reviews I will say Curse of Darkness has awesome music, story and voice acting.

CnC

Ad Oculos
handsome rakshas said:
Hey CnC, what colossus was your favorite? Mine was number 13!

So far I've like the bird colossus the best. Just cause you're clinging for you life on this huge animal soaring high over this flooded ruined city (or at least there are a few ruined buildings popping out of the water). That experience kicked ass, despite it not being all that hard.

I was going to make a thread, I've had the game since release but honestly I didnt think I could just start a thread on it. Not quite sure what to say about the game as its hard to describe it with just a few word's. I'd guess I'd say its haunting.

Oh and CNC they'll get harder as you progress and some of them are amazingly cool to look and fight and there are several who have a pretty good chance of killing you or its just very hard to expose their weak spots.

As for the problems, I got used to the camera, fairly quick as I've played games with a lot worse and again I got used to the horse thing as I realized where to stop to get onto Agro.

Just wait till you get to the ending, its really cool.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
this game taunts the fact I dont own a game system, i desire to play it so much, probably more then halo2, it simply looks amazing, the idea behind it is brilliant, Arg! it pains me in my groin region.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
CnC said:
So far I've like the bird colossus the best.  Just cause you're clinging for you life on this huge animal soaring high over this flooded ruined city (or at least there are a few ruined buildings popping out of the water).  That experience kicked ass, despite it not being all that hard.

That would be my 2nd favorite. Awesome battle and the flooded ruins make it even more sweet. When the bird swoops down at you I almost peed myself. I was waiting for it to make a move and then it comes barreling down at me and I ask my buddy "ya think he's coming after me?" My friend replies with a "YEAH!"
Very sweet fight. Very cinematic

CnC

Ad Oculos
20051021l.jpg

Just some humor from the folks at penny arcade, in case someone didn't see it...​

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aye -- I saw that picture and it made me bust a gut :guts:

As for the game -- I read a PSM article on it and wanted it ever since. However, I bought Soul Calibur III instead. I do still intend of getting this title.. but might wait for it to go down in price first :badbone:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Damn, this, Soulcalibur 3, Castlevania, and me without my PS2. At least it's saving my grades and my wallet some grief.

CnC

Ad Oculos
not to derail too much, but I heard Soul Calibur 3 is just Soul Calibur 2 with a couple of new characters and minor tweaks. But still, if it ain't broke...

HawaiianStallion said:
Oh and CNC they'll get harder as you progress and some of them are amazingly cool to look and fight and there are several who have a pretty good chance of killing you or its just very hard to expose their weak spots.

I'm sure, I'm only about 60% in or so. So far I haven't really been in any real danger, and the real challenge comes from figuring out how to get on the colossus. After that its a question of finding the magical spot and most of the time that's just patience (I have yet to have them successfully knock me off)

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I'm playing Soul calibur 3 right now and my room mate is playing Shadow of the colossus.  After you beat the game you still got alot of work to do.  I'm not gonna say what I'll let you guys figure that one out. 

Soul calibur 3 is alot of work!  I got around 300 pieces + of armor per gender (in case your wondering thats 2) to unlock.  And around 400 weapons.  Thats not even counting all the art, videos, levels, weapon demos, and extra modes.  The chronicle of the sword takes around 10+ just to beat, and going though all the characterise to unlock their weapons takes a ton of time because you have to go though multiple times as the story runs in to forks in the road and different ways effect what you have to fight which determines what you get.  Lot of work.

Also, a quick question. Has anyone played Shining Force Neo. After seeing that picture in Berserk rip offs. The huge sword kinda made me want to play it. If anyone can put some positive feed back on it, i might pick it up this weekend.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
ZODDGUTSU said:
If anyone wants to sell their game for 32 dollars total PM me because I'll buy it for that price by that I mean I only have 32 dollars to spend. -_-

Well, I'll pay $33 for it, HaHA!!! :troll:

"Griffith No More!" said:
Well, I'll pay $33 for it, HaHA!!! :troll:

You bastard! I've been outbidded again same thing that has happen to me on ebay... :puck:

edit: Hah! You son of bitches just bought Shadow of Colossus for 34 dollars. Got that extra dollar that I nedded from mom... :schierke:

beautiful game i love it ^^ although i havent beaten it yet i been working on it slowly enjoying it bit by bit only complaint is somtimes it takes forever to find the colossus your on. Besides that i love the lengthy battles

incognitoX

you fail me
I remember seeing a preview for this game in game informer magazine months ago and thinking it looked amazing.

I waited for it to come out for a while, when we finally got it in at work two weeks back, I was psyched and bought a copy.

it's definitely as amazing as it looked.

Majin Tenshi said:
It carries the name shining and thereby must be a godsend

At least someone else is a shining fan. What'd you think of Shining Tears?

Just beat it...  :guts:

Really amazing game... last boss was frickin great... i didnt realize that (Spoiler edited by Admin) when on his right hand you had to shoot his shoulder and ended up taking the hard route... i waited for him to turn his hand, ran up it and made a leap of faith and grabbed onto his collar armor(not on the first try mind you)... i felt like a schmuck when i started reading faqs after beating the game... tried it again and as it turns out, he wasnt that hard after all...

made it through the game without dying once...  :troll:

replay value is none existant though... still, what an experience(especially on the projector)...

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
(spoilers)

Just finished the game also, man what a ride! Even as the Wanderer was about about to be sucked in to the pool he was still reaching for his love. (this made me sad!) And also before you fight the final colossus Agro falls off the cliff I was like "what the hell" but he came back. I encourage everyone to finish time attack mode because exploding arrows are frickin' sweet. Besides Castlevania this is all I've been playing. I encourage everyone to buy (or at least rent) this game!

Finished it few weeks ago beautiful and stunning game worth the buy i think personally. The battles were amazing :) but now it sits in its case on the shelf while i work on unlocking everything on Soul Calibur III

Top Bottom