Silent Hill: The Movie!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'm starting to become more and more impressed with this movie. It could turn out pretty well if the movie is as good as the art/costume work.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Ok I need someone to do me a big favor and record the entire movie then send me the copy. I'll be more then happy to pay for the admission of the Camcorder.

Love Bob

P.S. I'm not jokeing.  :carcus:

I am a big fan of the horror survival games (especially Resident Evil and Silent Hill), but most of the adaptations of these games to the big screen have proven to be decadent, mediocre or just totally out of the context (like Alone in the Dark for example).

I´ve seen most of the trailers for this new Silent Hill movie, some screens and even looked for some info about the cast and director (who apparently doesn´t have much success on horror movies). Altought I can´t give any conclusion about the final product It seems that some of the original concepts have been used, the teat setting resembles a lot from the town in the game and the creatures are as freaking bizarre as the ones from the first 3 games, also is good to know Akira Yamaoka (music composer for SH 1 to 4) is working with the crew, in fact this what is motivating me the most to see the movie.

I strongly recommend to play the first game before seeing the movie (there are going to be a lot of cross overs with it, I´m sure) and even the second one to make a better review about it´s similarities and differences.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Since about mid-last week I started seeing a lot of commercials on TV for the SH movie, and I must say it looks very good so far. I don't know how well it will be compared to other horror movies, but it certainly looks like the most promising game-to-movie adaption that has come out yet. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, they do a good job of making it look like just another bad horror flick (looks like the same ads as Wolf Creek, Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, etc.) instead of a bad video game flick, I'll give them that. However, I can't help but snicker at "The Reaper" everytime I hear her stupid duel voice. OoOoo, so scary. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
Well, they do a good job of making it look like just another bad horror flick (looks like the same ads as Wolf Creek, Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, etc.) instead of a bad video game flick, I'll give them that. However, I can't help but snicker at "The Reaper" everytime I hear her stupid duel voice. OoOoo, so scary. =)
The Reaper stuff is laughable. While I'm looking forward to the movie, I really think it's weird for them to make a movie that's based on a video game that's based on a movie (Jacob's Ladder).

Making of video has been released, it's 190mb:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLIR1R3N
http://homepage.mac.com/matthewvern/FileSharing10.html
http://ts.searching.com/torrent/686179/Starz_Behind_the_Scenes_of_Silent_Hill

Here's a smaller version of it, at 23mb:
http://rapidshare.de/files/17456815/9619342324_1_.wmv.html

and a streaming version:
http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Set-Of-Silent-Hill

Vaxillus

After watching that, the movie looks like it has some promise after all.It may just be my usual hype though.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
"Griffith No More!" said:

That was just for the tv add, that scene isnt going to be in the movie itself... some of the trailors that I have seen including leaked footage.. lets just say this... its not going to be bad like Resident evil :void:

Vaxillus

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Most of it has to do with me being in Iraq. So you know...
They must have at least one theatre that hasn't been riddled with bullet holes/bombed. :puck:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
After seeing some of the production designs, I thought the movie had promise. The making-of video pretty much reinforced that, so I'm gonna give this one a shot. I'm a little miffed that they didn't mention the movie is based on a video game for those who wouldn't know, but maybe that would divert people from seeing it so they just decided to conveniently leave that out. :SK:

Rhombaad said:
After seeing some of the production designs, I thought the movie had promise. The making-of video pretty much reinforced that, so I'm gonna give this one a shot.

Same here, the environment of the movie seems to be very close to what is seen on the game, plus It also seems that they´ve took their time on choosing well the actors, making a decent script for the movie, and the best of all, making those freaky monsters as gloomy as in the game. (just have a look at those lovely caring nurses ;D)

Rhombaad said:
I'm a little miffed that they didn't mention the movie is based on a video game for those who wouldn't know, but maybe that would divert people from seeing it so they just decided to conveniently leave that out.

Maybe they didn´t mentioned this because it´s quite obvious. You just have to read the title to know from what the subject is about.

silent_hill_welcome.jpg

It's not obvious to those who never heard of silent hill. They'll just think Silent Hill is another horror movie (which may or may not be a good thing).

Walter said:
The Reaper stuff is laughable. While I'm looking forward to the movie, I really think it's weird for them to make a movie that's based on a video game that's based on a movie (Jacob's Ladder).
Ohhhhh boy, here we go.
Everyone but me's gonna love this. :schierke:

yota821 said:
It's not obvious to those who never heard of silent hill. They'll just think Silent Hill is another horror movie (which may or may not be a good thing).

Hmmm... maybe, but Silent Hill is one of the most known franchises for video gamers, that already makes a lot of people. Alas you only have to put the keywords internet and see what it is about.

Anyway, I still consider unnecessary/irrelevant to mention that this movie is based on a video game.

IMO games > movies still carries a sigmta if you wish, like comic book > movies used to.

There really hasn't been a good/widely successful movie from a game adaptation.

Walter said:
The Reaper stuff is laughable.  While I'm looking forward to the movie, I really think it's weird for them to make a movie that's based on a video game that's based on a movie (Jacob's Ladder).

Actually what inspired the movie alongside the game was a small mining town in Penn. known as Centralia. The reason why being the fact that its nearly deserted except for like the 11 people still living there and that's because of the coal fire still burning in the mines belowe the town which has left rents in the ground with smoke pouring out, killed large area's of forest, and in some places has made the ground so hot it can light flamable materials on fire by just a slight touch. I've been there on a road trip and the place is rather creepy though I heard it was worse as a lot of the town has been razed and once was filled with streets of empty, decrepit buildings.

Vaxillus

HawaiianStallion said:
Actually what inspired the movie alongside the game was a small mining town in Penn. known as Centralia. The reason why being the fact that its nearly deserted except for like the 11 people still living there and that's because of the coal fire still burning in the mines belowe the town which has left rents in the ground with smoke pouring out, killed large area's of forest, and in some places has made the ground so hot it can light flamable materials on fire by just a slight touch. I've been there on a road trip and the place is rather creepy though I heard it was worse as a lot of the town has been razed and once was filled with streets of empty, decrepit buildings.
I've heard of that place. Pretty awesome inspiration if you ask me. The coal being burned out from beneath the city has left a ton of caverns as well, and there are occasional cave-ins.

I'm gonna be seeing this movie on friday with my school's anime club. I'm not expecting much othr than some cool monsters, so hopefully I'll be impressed. I'll write a review for you all so you'll know if it's worth seeing or not. Kinda contrary to the advice I gave a while back, but at least I'll have some friends to ignore the movie with if it's bad.

Saw it tonight.....Zzzzzz.....literally, my friend had to wake me up twice (no im ser). Can't wait to see what u guys think.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Proj2501 said:
Saw it tonight.....Zzzzzz.....literally, my friend had to wake me up twice (no im ser). Can't wait to see what u guys think.

I disagree! :guts:
Really Proj, how could you sleep with all the screaming, screeching,and creepy monster noises? Oh yeah, the movie was boring! Seriously though, I liked it. The people in the theater must have hated me because I started talking out loud when a song from the games played. The movie itself was kind of boring but I do appreciate the little things they put in. From the Drawing Block (Codwigr Diner?) to Nurse Lisa, I think that the movie did an excellent job of paying tribute to the original game and as a big fan of Silent Hill I appreciated that. The movie was a little too long in my opinion. Instead of rattling on with more gibberish I will say this. If you (like myself) was a fan of the games then you must go see it. If not, you still might enjoy it.

Top Bottom