Street Fighter IV

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Those thinking the 3d anime fighter isn't worth it or Capcom can't stray from 2d Fighters, hopefully will find more faith here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqgIEV_1FVU

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to convince people with such examples, regardless of the game's merits. It's simply because it looks very dated graphically, like every 3D game that came out at the time. Needless to say by the time SFIV comes out, the technical possibilities will be on an entirely different level.

But anyway, I don't think what I meant was really understood by everybody. I don't think it's infeasible for the game to actually look like 2D while incorporating 3D elements, like what's been done with 2D Castlevania games on a limited scale for example, or in some cases with good cell-shading. I wasn't just talking about a 3D game missing an axis. I think it'd look good and add a lot of possibilities for cool effects, camera movements and the like, possibly taking the genre to another level. Sprites aren't just limited in terms of graphics.

Not that I'd mind a purely 2D game anyway, I'll be fine with anything as long as it's well done. I just don't want to be an old, bitter reactionary (at least not about this :void:) and completely exclude the possibility.

Aazealh said:
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to convince people with such examples, regardless of the game's merits. It's simply because it looks very dated graphically, like every 3D game that came out at the time. Needless to say by the time SFIV comes out, the technical possibilities will be on an entirely different level.
{....}
But anyway, I don't think what I meant was really understood by everybody. I don't think it's infeasible for the game to actually look like 2D while incorporating 3D elements, like what's been done with 2D Castlevania games on a limited scale for example, or in some cases with good cell-shading.
Oh no I got your point Aazealh, and yes one of my focuses was that a "3d" fighter from Capcom hasn't happened in quite some time, well, namely since Soul Calibur (first). thus why I'm interested in the potential for SF4. I'm in complete agreement with you and pretty much stated what I think, cel shaded/2d+3d mix. What I saw was basically a "3d" SF (not just a minus of axis) with the visuals of the trailer with an uber-beefed up Okami engine, thus it would never give the appeal of "3d fighter" versus just omitting the axis.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164756

1up said:
Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D. There will be new moves, locations, and gameplay features, while the standard six button control scheme remains. Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim, but beyond that the character roster is a mystery. And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality).

They've got a high resolution picture and I think it looks good. Oh and I was right about the graphics, of course. :ganishka:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Meh. Can't say I'm a fan of the still. Hopefully when it's in motion it'll look cool. Those ink effects in the trailer were cool :)

(looks like his ball sack is clinging to his right leg. lawl)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great to me. And yeah, seeing this in motion will be a totally different story, given SFIII's amazing animations. Im looking forward to the first video of this. My first impression of looking at the details here worried me. This is Chun Li's stage from SFII, almost down to the minute detail. Hope Capcom isn't treading water here with their ideas ... oh who am I kidding, its the THIRD SEQUEL IN A FIGHTING GAME FRANCHISE.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
My first impression of looking at the details here worried me. This is Chun Li's stage from SFII, almost down to the minute detail. Hope Capcom isn't treading water here with their ideas ... oh who am I kidding, its the THIRD SEQUEL IN A FIGHTING GAME FRANCHISE.

I don't think that's too worrying. They've proven before that they could change most of the cast without remorse, so as a matter of fact I'll be glad to see some old school SF2 stages and characters. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
Those ink effects in the trailer were cool :)

Really? That's where I was bellowing, "Meh." Not so much against the effect itself, but just that it seemed thrown on there for, well, only the sake of the trailer being "artsy" without any substance behind the style. At least that was my suspicion, which seems confirmed unless Ryu starts inking out and kicking the colors of that stage around in a video.

CAPCOM: "Look, ink strokes! Original (like Okami)! Think different! Oh yeah, and the game is actually just updated SFII characters and settings."

Anyway, I can't say it's what I imagined it looking like, but it looks interesting, and looks like Street Fighter.

CnC said:
(looks like his ball sack is clinging to his right leg. lawl)

dick_cheney.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Really? That's where I was bellowing, "Meh." Not so much against the effect itself, but just that it seemed thrown on there for, well, only the sake of the trailer being "artsy" without any substance behind the style. At least that was my suspicion, which seems confirmed unless Ryu starts inking out and kicking the colors of that stage around in a video.

CAPCOM: "Look, ink strokes! Original (like Okami)! Think different! Oh yeah, and the game is actually just updated SFII characters and settings."

Anyway, I can't say it's what I imagined it looking like, but it looks interesting, and looks like Street Fighter.

Well, the trailer didn't really have any substance _with_ the ink effects. I did, however, like them and I think they could enough visual flare if they're not overdone.

Griffith No More! said:
http://writingcompany.blogs.com/this_isnt_writing_its_typ/images/dick_cheney.jpg

Yea I definitely could have gone without seeing that...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the ink effects in the trailer too. =) And I very much doubt this game will just have updated SFII characters/settings.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I am still of the opinion that Ryu looks bloody ridiculous and Incredible Hulk-ish.

Seriously, what the fuck?
mediasw5.jpg

Yet, the screenshot is semi-promising. I'll echo the motion part that CnC and Wally mentioned, but I hope those distinct outlines around the character stay. Capcom will be sure to leak new information..... slowly.

Griffith

CnC said:
Well, the trailer didn't really have any substance _with_ the ink effects.

That's what I mean, it seemed like just a gimmick.

CnC said:
Yea I definitely could have gone without seeing that...

Yeah, you can really never unsee it, especially while playing SF4 with the advanced real-time sword fighting engine.

Aazealh said:
And I very much doubt this game will just have updated SFII characters/settings.

Well, that's what I'd want, really. Actually, I just want SFII for Super Nintendo, I think I'll go play it. =)

Uriel said:
I am still of the opinion that Ryu looks bloody ridiculous and Incredible Hulk-ish.

Yet, the screenshot is semi-promising.

The screenshot is sort of having a strange impact, like it's both underwhelming yet promising at the same time. Anyone else getting that? Ryu still looks... weird.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author="leaked info"]The graphics aren't the way they are in the teaser that everyone watched. The game's still pretty, but it has nothing of that ink-splashing or anything. [/quote]
No fucking shit. Seriously, did anyone REALLY expect the game to look like it did in the teaser? It was just a fancy special effect people.

The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII.
What kind of nonsense is this? Seems really overly complicated. So it's another chapter in Street Fighter 2? So this would make the progression:
Street Fighter
Street Fighter Zero
Street Fighter Zero 2
Street Fighter Zero 3
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter 3
Gross.

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.
:ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
No fucking shit. Seriously, did anyone REALLY expect the game to look like it did in the teaser? It was just a fancy special effect people.

Well, to be fair, you're making a bigger deal of it than the article did. =)

As for the time frame, I didn't even know there was one to follow, or that Street Fighter was supposed to have a coherent story that wasn't just BS made up on the spot for instruction manuals, ending screens, and animes.

Here's basically all the worthwhile info compressed for the lazy or efficient:

leaked info said:
The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII. The good news is that the character roster will be made of many old-school brawlers and some entirely new ones. There are two new girls on the list. We will probably not see any SFIII characters.

The excellent Parry system from SFIII is gone. The new system seems to be called Saving or Revenge (we're not sure about the name). We don't know exactly how it works, but it's built around cancels. And we do know we'll have another gauge to activate the Saving/Revenge stuff, besides the usual Super Gauge.

Supers are there (although they didn't decide yet if it will be like in SSF2T or SFIII), and now they've put another moves called Ultras. These makes your character throws a auto combo with tons of moves. It's like a custom combo ... except by the custom part.

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.

Rock the Dragon! That's about it aside from the two new pics, which are interesting, kind of weird and goofy looking in still form like the last, but at 60fps I can imagine this looking mighty crisp and sweet. For some reason these shots are making me think of Shenmue, though. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
dwarfkicker said:
http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-new-info-and-pictures-from-street-fighter-iv-leaked-58045.phtml

I do hope that this is animated beautifully and the gameplay is _really_ tight; because these stills look like oversaturated crap.

Uriel

CnC said:
I do hope that this is animated beautifully and the gameplay is _really_ tight; because these stills look like oversaturated crap.

You see, I'm quoting this statement out of character. Even though it's directly above me, every single word rings true. Oversaturated crap.

Griffith

CnC said:
oversaturated crap.

Oversaturated crap?

Uriel said:
Oversaturated crap.

Oversaturated crap.

Yeah, that close up Ken kick, it somehow looks even worse now than a few hours ago, tomorrow it'll look like it's on N64 (those pixelated borders are already halfway there =)... to be fair, I think it's just the quality of these images though, the original one of Ryu doesn't look so bad.

Uriel

For every cubic millimetre of facial mass Ken loses, Ryu gains seventeen cubic centimetres of muscle and hulk smash.

I'm really trying to emphasise the Hulk thing here.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Let's not forget the game's still at least 2 years away from release. They'll have plenty of time to refine everything.

Griffith

I hope they actually just refine it into Street Fighter II HD. :carcus:

Now THAT'S Ken!

http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/digital.php?cat=96

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_CoKEvn45Q

Top Bottom