Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles are returning!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not impressed with the trailer honestly. Not getting good vibes from it. Right now I'll side with Griffith and assume it won't be nearly as good as the original movie.

CnC

Ad Oculos
wow this topic exploded.

I'm optimistic. I think an entire cg movie is a good move for this sort of thing. and following the original comics is a good idea.

Can't say I'm too happy about the character designs... but the animation was solid. I'll probably rent it unless it gets rave reviews.

it never really mattered to me what this looked like, i'm going to see it anyway.
That said, they looked more like frogs than turtles....

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
I think an entire cg movie is a good move for this sort of thing.

For some reason I hate that aspect of it; I think I had my fill of "cartoon" CGI with Toy Story. It really doesn't do much for me (except make me think "this movie already looks dated"), and I suspect everyone else is just pretending to care. =)

I hear Monster House rocks though.

Slightly Green said:

Yeah, and the eyes make them look like lizards; Twenty-Somthing Computer-generated Ninja Frog-Lizards.

P.S. Can we all stop with the pining for the mythical "darker original comic series" that never existed as we remember. I think it's just the cliche of "the original source was so better" in this case; let's not forget that it started out as a parody of Marvel comics and quickly became the merchandising juggernaut it still is (the only reason any of us have even heard of it). Sin City it wasn't.
Anyway, if the turtles ever had some sort of intense, dark integrity, it lasted about ten minutes. =)

P.P.S. Anyway, they totally sold out with the Comin' Out of Their Shells Tour, man. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
P.P.S. Anyway, they totally sold out with the Comin' Out of Their Shells Tour, man. :judo:
I saw that in concert and even at 7 years old, left halfway through it. Anyway, I still have the tape I got at Pizza Hut which includes "April's Love Ballad," and some song about doing your homework. Maybe I should rip it ... :guts:

Not too psyched about this. I think my Turtle love ended when I was 10.

I'm kind of glad that they're going back to the comics. Eastman and Laird didn't even have much collaboration with the old 90's tv show, and even now they can't do anything with it because (I think it's Viacom) owns the rights. So it's not likely we'll even see them fully released on dvd, just "the best of" that we've been seeing as of late.

The CG is top notch. I actually work in the entertainment industry, and really like the style they chose. The animations are solid.

They're also making a game based on the movie, but instead of Konami, it's Ubisoft. So it has more prince of persia (high flying and leaping around buildings and stuff) and splinter cell: chaos theory (teamwork elements, like having to help one another around obsitcles) elements in it.

I've loved the Turtles since I read the comics, I loved them through the 90's cartoon, and I enjoyed the first 2 movies and own them on DVD. (i hate the 3rd one). It's good that they're finally coming back in style.

For some reason I hate that aspect of it; I think I had my fill of "cartoon" CGI with Toy Story. It really doesn't do much for me (except make me think "this movie already looks dated"), and I suspect everyone else is just pretending to care. =)
The movie was fairly impressive considering countless failed adaptations of movies and whatnot, but I still liked Eastman and Laird's original work more. If the cartoon elements of the original movies disappear and stay true to the original concept, it could be impressive. Unfortunately, that Mickey scene is proving it will still have the cartoon feel to it somewhat.

BTW That reason you hate that aspect of it among others sounds mostly like you are boycotting this movie for messing with your childhood memories. The teaser has barely shown anything, and you have already decided you hate it.
Again I liked how they made the Turtles agility as they jumped across the rooftops, looks great. Besides, CGI is a good choice for such a story concept, and even Jimmy boy may very well have followed it also if the technology was available.

P.S. Can we all stop with the pining for the mythical "darker original comic series" that never existed as we remember; let's not forget that it started out as a parody of Marvel comics and quickly became the merchandising juggernaut it still is (just because it was darker than the cartoon doesn't mean it was Sin City). If the turtles ever had some sort of intense, dark integrity, it lasted about ten minutes. =)

Just because the comics weren't on a violence level with Berserk, they were significantly darker than the movies based on it. More blood, more adult concepts, less comic relief, less cheesy one liners, less pizza.
If I had a scanner I would show a few pages to show how different it was, and I liked seeing the concept that way when I discovered it in my teenage years.

Slightly Green said:
it never really mattered to me what this looked like, I'm going to see it anyway.

Their supposed "frog look" does somewhat resemble the original drawings, and that's allot of why I think this could be good as a more worthy tribute.

300pxpg02oi2.jpg

Griffith

Sparnage said:
BTW That reason you hate that aspect of it among others sounds mostly like you are boycotting this movie for messing with your childhood memories. The teaser has barely shown anything, and you have already decided you hate it.

Thanks for the analysis doc; actually, my point was pretty clearly that I just don't care for CGI animation in general, nothing to do with the turtles, other than I don't see what's so great or fitting about them being CGI frog-lizards (unless you're desperate for this sort of turtle revival *cough*).

Sparnage said:
Just because the comics weren't on a violence level with Berserk, they were significantly darker than the movies based on it. More blood, more adult concepts, less comic relief, less cheesy one liners, less pizza.
If I had a scanner I would show a few pages to show how different it was, and I liked seeing the concept that way when I discovered it in my teenage years.

I've seen them before, thanks. Again, my point was more that the turtle's took off with merchandising, and even Laird and Eastman got so involved with that they couldn't even draw the turtles themselves anymore. So, this idea that it got away from it's "serious roots" is sort of a cliche misnomer; as enjoyable the comics were, the turtles are what they are because they changed. It's likely the only reason any of us has heard of them, read the comics, and the only reason this movie is being made.

Anyway, I just think it's funny because it's a conversation about every comic to movie adaptation, and with the turtles it's especially ridiculous. It's really come full circle as this is what they were satirizing in the first place, but now it has to be the SERIOUS Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Actually, it's so ridiculous I like the idea now; let's take it even further and make the Citizen Kane of turtle movies.

Sparnage said:
Their supposed "frog look" does somewhat resemble the original drawings, and that's allot of why I think this could be good as a more worthy tribute.

Well, I'm glad we're not getting hung up on our childhood and letting it affect our judgement or anything. =)

P.S. I will say, this is better than trying another live-action movie. At least it's giving us a different look.

Thanks for the analysis doc; actually, my point was pretty clearly that I just don't care for CGI animation in general, nothing to do with the turtles, other than I don't see what's so great or fitting about them being CGI frog-lizards (unless you're desperate for this sort of turtle revival *cough*).

Not desperate, but I certainly hope it'll bring back some good sentimental feelings for the turtles, so? It's not to the point where I think it definitely won't suck, but one way to find out. I'm not about to make my fundamental decision on a obscure teaser.

I've seen them before, thanks. Again, my point was more that the turtle's took off with merchandising, and even Laird and Eastman got so involved with that they couldn't even draw the turtles themselves anymore. So, this idea that it got away from it's "serious roots" is sort of a cliche misnomer; as enjoyable the comics were, the turtles are what they are because they changed. It's likely the only reason any of us has heard of them, read the comics, and the only reason this movie is being made.

Yeah, I suppose I should see it in a similar way as I see the Berserk Anime in comparison to the Manga.

Anyway, I just think it's funny because it's a conversation about every comic to movie adaptation, and with the turtles it's especially ridiculous. It's really come full circle as this is what they were satirizing in the first place, but now it has to be the SERIOUS Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Actually, it's so ridiculous I like the idea now; let's take it even further and make the Citizen Kane of turtle movies.

Meh. Whatever hidden manipulative agendas those evil Producers and marketing people use to draw us in, we will still come out of the cinemas knowing the movie to be either good, average or shit.

Well, I'm glad we're not getting hung up on our childhood and letting it affect our judgement or anything. =)

P.S. I will say, this is better than trying another live-action movie. At least it's giving us a different look.

Not what I meant, it's not the fact that they look better or worse, it's that they look more like the story I am hoping it will more closely follow. If the teaser had shown each Turtle with the First letter of their names on their belts like in the cartoon, it would have made me a lot less confident about the production.

In any case, aside the Mickey thing, what has made me a little skeptical is this;

"Strange events are occurring in New York City, and the Turtles are needed more than ever, but Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo have become lost and direction less. With the city at stake, it's up to Leonardo and Zen Master Splinter to restore unity and ninja discipline to the Turtles."

I just.... don't know.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
"Strange events are occurring in New York City, and the Turtles are needed more than ever, but Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo have become lost and direction less. With the city at stake, it's up to Leonardo and Zen Master Splinter to restore unity and ninja discipline to the Turtles."

I just.... don't know.
Why? Character exploration sounds like it'd make a better movie than wacky ninja antics to me. Then again, we're talking about CGI frog-lizards. Maybe it's not the best direction for the movie.

Still, I'm already more intrigued than I was (still in the negative zone though :carcus:).

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
I was a huge Turtles fan growing up; sadly, I also saw the Comin' Out of their Shells Tour
(:-[), but I guess I just got old, 'cause I could care less now. The trailer looks kinda amatureish to me.

Griffith

Sparnage said:
I'm not about to make my fundamental decision on a obscure teaser.

I just wasn't impressed is all, though I did like it better on a second viewing. Perhaps I was taking it all too seriously myself.

Sparnage said:
Meh. Whatever hidden manipulative agendas those evil Producers and marketing people use to draw us in, we will still come out of the cinemas knowing the movie to be either good, average or shit.

I was only talking about the fan side of it, I don't think the producers are being tricky. We trick ourselves. Hell, I'd still like a darker Spider-Man movie. My point was that the turtles were meant to be ironic to begin with, so it's ESPECIALLY ironic if they're actually treated completly seriously (happened long ago, of course); in essence, becoming exactly what they were lampooning. And if they were REALLY going to kick it oldskool, the turtles should all have the classic red bandanas.

Also, I think the first movie was pretty good to the culture of the comics all things considered, and an amazingly faithful adaptation of the concept overall (considering the material). Imagine if the turtles didn't have such crossover appeal and it were just a comicbook movie being done today? They'd probably be changed to human ninjas that dress in stylized animal masks to frighten their enemies or some bullshit, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. =)

Sparnage said:
I just.... don't know.

Walter said:
Why? Character exploration sounds like it'd make a better movie than wacky ninja antics to me. Then again, we're talking about CGI frog-lizards. Maybe it's not the best direction for the movie.

Sparnage wins, same thing said in 4 words to 30+. =)

TheSkyTraveller said:
I was a huge Turtles fan growing up; sadly, I also saw the Comin' Out of their Shells Tour
(:-[), but I guess I just got old, 'cause I could care less now. The trailer looks kinda amatureish to me.

Ditto, exactly the same for me on all fronts (though I didn't actually see them on tour, just had the video =). I still have a turtles beach towel and laundry bag that I use to this day. And I had actual turtles for pets, "Tonight I dine on turtle soup." =)

Anyway, I looked at the trailer again with MY GIRLFRIEND and I thought her commentary was interesting (her being an unbiased third party with no vested interest in or baggage with the turtles, I said nothing to her about it except "check this out").

When they first started jumping on the rooftops: "Awww, they're so cute."

This was totally genuine, no sarcasm; she thought they were adorable. ;)

After more rooftop shenanigans: "They look like frogs jumping." !!!

Again, said with the innocense of a child.

Trailer ending: "Looks like it could be good, what did you think?"

Well, I, uh... I LOVE IT! ;D

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I remember probably some of the coolest scenes (at the time) in the first movie were...

1. Michalango and the other foot ninja having the "Nunchucks" battle.

"A fellow chucker eh?" :guts:

2. The foots "secert" hideout and the ass-tons of video games it had.

I remember thinking holy shit! I want to be a ninja too if I can have all that stuff! :isidro:

EDIT:
Most disapointing aspect of the first movie...

No Krang and no Bebop and Rocksteady. What the hell is that crap!

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I remember thinking holy shit! I want to be a ninja too if I can have all that stuff! :isidro:

I remember the kid got a the oh-so-stylish portable tape player among all that stuff... rockin'

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
  Anyway, I still have the tape I got at Pizza Hut which includes "April's Love Ballad," and some song about doing your homework.  Maybe I should rip it ... :guts:

I tripple dog dare ya'.  :chomp:

D

Death Can Wait

I actually still have the musical on VHS, and it was awesome.

I'm agreeing with everyone here. Jim Henson and muppets is what made the original turtles so great, plus the greatness of 90s pseudo gangs and of course the rap. I'm sick of the massed CGI.

I thought the costumes that the actors wore in the original movie were fine, i havent seen the trailer so i cant say anything about the cgi, but i dont see why they couldnt just have actors in costumes like before.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
TheBeast43105 said:
I thought the costumes that the actors wore in the original movie were fine, i havent seen the trailer so i cant say anything about the cgi, but i dont see why they couldnt just have actors in costumes like before.
cause a person wearing a 45 pound costume can't move the way they want them too? Cause pulling off, at least my, if not the general public's current perception of ninja mobility would require them to do the turtles themselves as CGI most of the time anyways? Cause they didn't want to use special effects that will look like crap in 10 years when they could go with stylized animation thats fairly timeless?

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
cause a person wearing a 45 pound costume can't move the way they want them too? Cause pulling off, at least my, if not the general public's current perception of ninja mobility would require them to do the turtles themselves as CGI most of the time anyways?

Pop culture "ninja mobility" is horseshit anyway, first of all, and second, they could still do it with CGI assistance, if not with practical effects and the right stunt people. Gimmie a break.

Majin Tenshi said:
Cause they didn't want to use special effects that will look like crap in 10 years

Best 6' turtles I ever seen, better than any CGI so far anyway. 80's and early 90's puppets and costumes OWN CGI.

Majin Tenshi said:
when they could go with stylized animation thats fairly timeless?

You mean that already looks dated right now? =)

Pop culture "ninja mobility" is horseshit anyway, first of all, and they could still do it with CGI if not with practical effects and the right stunt people. Gimmie a break.

Best 6' turtles I ever seen, better than any CGI so far anyway. 80's and early 90's puppets and costumes OWN CGI.

You mean that already looks dated right now? =)

Thank you!!! I find that the turtles looked fantastic in the original film and they seemed to move perfectly fine in the fight scenes they had. CGI is WAY overrelied on these days, and i personally think that old-fashioned turtle suits would be the way to go.

Griffith

TheBeast43105 said:
Thank you!!! I find that the turtles looked fantastic in the original film and they seemed to move perfectly fine in the fight scenes they had. CGI is WAY overrelied on these days, and i personally think that old-fashioned turtle suits would be the way to go.

I agree, but going back to what you first said...

TheBeast43105 said:
i dont see why they couldnt just have actors in costumes like before.

My question is, why couldn't they do it like before in Turtles 3!? They looked just awful (and even 2 was a step down from the original).

Top Bottom