Water and Laptops

Lauralana

That's Hot
ok so, i did the stupidest thing today. I was talking to some friends over aim/ watching tv/ folding my laundry all while i was drinking water at my computer table. I eat at my computer table all the time, but i guess i was too tired or something today. B/c i accidentally knocked over my water bottle and spilled some of it onto my laptop.

that was 5 hrs ago, and now my laptop will only turn on...but the screen doesn't work anymore.

I don't know anything about computers, but i figure alot of you here do. Is there anything i can do to fix it? I have a warranty at best buy, but i doubt it covers "dumb blonde" mishaps.

Does anyone know of anyway to salvage my memory/harddrive and possible add it to a new laptop? I have had this laptop for the past 3 years and what it contains is truly priceless to me.

Or, should i basically just throw it out and make my parents buy me a new one for my birthday?

P.S. This means that i am not going to be on aim until school starts again in august. :'(

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
If I were you I'd wait a couple of days and then go to bestbuy and explain to them that one day I turned on the laptop and it simply wouldn't work. I don't think they could prove that you split water on it so there's a good chance you could get a replacement. As for retrieving your data, you could ask them to do that for you, I don't know.

BTW, I know this is isn't at all honest, but it is an option. Do what you think is right.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

well if i were u i would just use a blower over the keyboard, take the battery out and ofcourse unplug it. It might start working in a couple of days. You might want to take it in for repairs if it doesnt works again and pray the laptop doesnt have inside any labels which may be erased by water (they do it on porpouse just in case u have a water accident).

Aconyro

REVENGE!
Wait a couple of days tell them it doesn't work and you don't know why. They'll give you a new one and consider that one to be faulty. Do not tell them about the water. Even if they suggest it. I've seen this work before.

M

medievald00d

well,give it a week. I've accidentally spilled water on electronics before, and it didnt completely destroy the electronics. After it had evaporated, it started working again. Anyways, if it was drinking water, it would have minimal amounts of ions, therefore it wouldnt conduct electricity too well. I doubt any permanent damage has occured.

And if there has been permanent damage, then do what everyone else suggests...return it and claim that you dont know what happened.

One more thing. If its past the warranty, buy the exact same laptop you have now. Then, you can return the old laptop and keep the new one. Usually works for me.

Griffith said:
This is the perfect crime; the evidence evaporates. ;D

-Griffith

Remember the chocolate-vodka milk incident? Too bad that crap doesn't evaporate :-\

Oh man, this one night, I was really drunk and my boyfriend ;D was mixing chocolate milk with vodka right next to my laptop!!
I knocked it all over my laptop and the whole keyboard was sticky for about a month. (and even now, the keys get sticky from time to time) I ended up messing up some of my keys trying to clean it all out, but it was of course, impossible :(
But somehow, my super awesome computer survived through all of this. I really don't know how but I am sure glad that it did.
He still makes fun of me about it. But I blame it all on him :-X

Anyway, just wanted to share my story.

I hope you can fix your computer. Give it a couple of days to see what it does and if it doesn't work then take it back if you have a replacement warranty or something like that. Or use this as an excuse to make your parents buy you a NEW one.
Good luck.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

pheonixfenix said:
well,give it a week. I've accidentally spilled water on electronics before, and it didnt completely destroy the electronics. After it had evaporated, it started working again. Anyways, if it was drinking water, it would have minimal amounts of ions, therefore it wouldnt conduct electricity too well. I doubt any permanent damage has occured.

And if there has been permanent damage, then do what everyone else suggests...return it and claim that you dont know what happened.

One more thing. If its past the warranty, buy the exact same laptop you have now. Then, you can return the old laptop and keep the new one. Usually works for me.

laptops are always changing models :p its not as easy as changing a ps2 when moding it has gone wrong.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

Lauralana said:
Does anyone know of anyway to salvage my memory/harddrive and possible add it to a new laptop? I have had this laptop for the past 3 years and what it contains is truly priceless to me.

Or, should i basically just throw it out and make my parents buy me a new one for my birthday?

P.S. This means that i am not going to be on aim until school starts again in august. :'(

3 years? wow thats an old laptop you should get a new one. Well about the memory forget about it, it should be useless in a new one. But about the HD well. i Dont think a water accident should have ruined your HD. Just let your computer dry off for now, You could use your old HD as an external Hard Drive, You can buy a device that you can just put in your old hard disc in it and it lets you connect it to any computer that haves an usb port ( I dont remember its name but I have seen it around).

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
ELEKTROFUNK said:
well if i were u i would just use a blower over the keyboard, take the battery out and ofcourse unplug it. It might start working in a couple of days. You might want to take it in for repairs if it doesnt works again and pray the laptop doesnt have inside any labels which may be erased by water (they do it on porpouse just in case u have a water accident).

Yep, thats smart, fry the circuts in the process too :p.

I say just hang the laptop by a string and let the water drip out. Let it drip out into a cup so then you can drink it while your waiting ;).

The moniter probably doesnt work because water got into the screen, and because laptop screens have liquid in them to function, that could be the problem. If my dripping water methode doesnt work ( ::)), just take it to the manufacture (or send it) and have them replace your screen. Hopefully you still have the warrenty.

My keyboard once had a bit of milk spilt on it a while back, the enter key didnt work well for a fair while, but then eventually it was ok again. Maybe the guys are right about if it drys out it will be ok.

If it doesnt though the evidence of the water may be gone, but the damage of what water may do to your system will still be there, i dont know how many people these days have their computers fixed from such accidents, so good luck with getting away with it.

where i sell things

i have to deal with warranties

all the time, even when items are

out of warranty, ya know

like on big screens, surround sound,

i could probably tell you how to get around it,

but, ;)

i digress

- c

E

ELEKTROFUNK

DemonX said:
Yep, thats smart, fry the circuts in the process too :p.

a Hair blower Wont fry a circuit unless the hair blower is used for boiling water but water+Electric current might cause a short circuit which will actually fry something in the mobo.

Another thing is that I dont think the water actually mixed with the LCD components ( I dont think thats actually posible without cutting a whole on the screenor she diped the lcd on water), mostlikley the lcd/video card conections are soaked wet and actually not transmiting anything to it or maybe the mobo/processor/video card died :(.

But dont worry thats a good excuse to buy a new computer if you have enought money buy youselve a gateway tabletpc or an alienware computer for gaming if you are a lil low on cash get a dell or a toshiba satellite

It's not as if you putted it in the wash machine and then in the dryer :p I think that in a couple of hours it might be OK, just don't touch it... put it in a place that there's a good ventilation so the water will evaporate faster.. if you wait 5 hours and you put it on but it wasn't in a place where evaporation is good.. it's a useless wait ;)

As long as you don't put it on while there's still water it's almost impossible that a short circuit occur.

In one of my class, my teacher told us that she spilled all her coffee cup in/on her keyboard and she putted in the tub (unplugged ;)) and washed it and now it works perfecly.. of course she let it dry ;)

You are not in deep shit i guess :-*

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Lauralana said:
Is there anything i can do to fix it? I have a warranty at best buy, but i doubt it covers "dumb blonde" mishaps.

I used to be a "slave" of best buy a couple of years ago... the sooner u give it to them, the better... Dont even dare to say anything about the water. Just get there and bitch like youve' never bitched before!.

Best Buy doesnt give a rats ass with their damaged products. TRUST ME... They get situations like that every single day.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

wow french people are poping all over the place after that thread about them. Viva la Revolucion!

Top Bottom