Who's your pick as the next Batman villain?

Who's your pick as the next Batman villian?

• Total voters
Hello SK.net, long time no see/post. But I do lurk.

I'm pretty sure that
Two-Face
will be the next villain - and unless I'm remembering this incorrectly from TDK (and I might be, need to see it again) -
When Two-Face falls to his 'death' he tosses the coin one last time, and it lands on the clean side, a subtle nod that he is in fact alive, just knocked out.

But, failing that, Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin would be awesome. And his dad should be played by Jeff Bridges.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
First off the funeral hadn't happened yet, he was going over it in his mind and secondly

Those were time jumps showing future events.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
if Dent did die he was talking about his ideals, not literally Harvey Dent being alive. Until there is a funeral in the 3rd movie for Dent, there is no solid evidence he's dead.

No, there's a memorial service as evidence that he's dead; there's actually no, or even negative, evidence that he's alive. =)

Cronus said:
When Two-Face falls to his 'death' he tosses the coin one last time, and it lands on the clean side, a subtle nod that he is in fact alive, just knocked out.

Yeah, but he was tossing it for the kid's life, so first and foremost that was irony that the kid would have been spared anyway.

Cronus said:
Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin would be awesome.

Oh wow, that would be awesome. He could be a very old school Penguin too.

Anyway, my problem with Two-Face is everyone's twisting things to make it seem like it's some suggestion that he's alive, when the point of those scenes either has nothing to do with it or is the exact opposite. The memorial scene was seemingly in earnest, and there was no reason to trick us, yet people are practically taking it the opposite way of its most basic and likely meaning: HE'S DEAD. If they wanted to bring him back, they didn't have to show a memorial to, ahem, show he's dead, they could have just left it wide open.

I agree that it's perfectly possible, but it shouldn't be considered the most likely scenario or the first interpretation of those scenes. I'd like to take the movie at face value rather than guessing that the whole point of it and the ending was a bunch of bullshit that's going to be undone as a gimmick for the next movie. It just seems like a contrived bastardization, like as far as this film is concerned, he's dead until shown otherwise, and looking at it with certainty any other way basically amounts to misinterpretation (or fanfiction). Like, if one were to argue the Joker actually died at the end, "He killed a lot of cops, and they were mad at him like that one, so I think when the cops found him helpless up there, they shot him! They never showed him going to jail, and until they show the Joker in the next movie, you can't prove me wrong!"

Uh yeah, please no. Again, I don't mind the speculation, but the interpretation when the movie as it currently stands wasn't in any way suggesting Harvey was really alive, quite the contrary, even if it doesn't totally close the door on it with a fucking autopsy or something.

BTW, what exactly would this incarnation of Two Face be doing as a main villain in the next movie? Become a mob boss, start a gang, seems kind of odd.

Finally, there's an easier answer to this, did Aaron Eckhart agree to coming back like Ledger apparently had? It doesn't prove anything at this point if he didn't, but if he did, that's certainly something.

I agree and if Two face was alive why the hell, would they spend 10 minutes at the very end explaining that Batman had to live the rest of his days as the bad guy, in dents place? The only reason batman did all of that, was to take the blame, so that Harvey could still look like a good guy the entire time. Why, why would they bring him back. To conflict the total purpose the 2nd movies ending...I don't think so. I think the 3rd movie will about batman going after new baddies, while be viewed as a bad guy himself. Like SPAWN kinda. Its a lot of dark humor/irony much to liking of Berserk itself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cronus, I look forward to butting heads with you over this when you help me move this weekend. :ganishka:

Griffith No More! said:
BTW, what exactly would this incarnation of Two Face be doing as a main villain in the next movie? Become a mob boss, start a gang, seems kind of odd.

This is my biggest problem with bringing him back as well.
Dent's
character development began and ended with this movie. I'm not knocking the guy. He's a cool villain. But if they were to extend THIS iteration's revenge across 2 movies, it'd feel pretty contrived. I'm not sure they could pull it off well without it feeling like Tommy Lee Jones' hollow, awful caricature of the man.

On that lovely note, if they DO
bring back Two-Face
for the third, AND the Riddler is the other villain... why, they may as well call up Schumacher so Nolan and he can collaborate on a remake of Batman Forever!

In the end, I don't really care who the villain is. Ive been surprised and awed by Nolan's interpretation of the Batman universe so far. I'm confident that whoever he picks for the next one will be portrayed in a way to exponentially outshine any fan theory.

Griffith

Walter said:
Cronus, I look forward to butting heads with you over this when you help me move this weekend. :ganishka:

I think you guys should employ guns and a coin flip to settle it fairly. :carcus:

Walter said:
This is my biggest problem with bringing him back as well.
Dent's
character development began and ended with this movie. I'm not knocking the guy. He's a cool villain. But if they were to extend THIS iteration's revenge across 2 movies, it'd feel pretty contrived.

That's my problem too, that everyone's ignoring the fact that, as presented, it doesn't make any logistical or storytelling sense, and is in fact counter-intuitive, because they're obsessed with the
FAKE DEATH
gimmick.

I'll just say it, it's a BAD idea, and I hope it's just the fans' bad idea and not the filmmakers'. =)

To me another issue falls in. I've talk to a lot of people, who like batman, but don't consider themselves big fans over all.
Most of these people thing that they shouldn't replace joker. They think ledger shouldn't be replaced. And the role of the joker...should IDK...just fade away. I strongly disagree with that. I know Ledger did a great job. But to forget the character of the joker would be a mistake. I mean, originally people say Ledger couldn't do better than Nicholson. Some say he did. Who's to say there isn't someone out there that can fill in the shoes.

Any how, new villain or not. Strange that they didn't leave a opening for a "new" villain in the 3rd movie. This isn't including who and who isn't still alive. The first left a opening for the rise of the joker. The second gave us 2 villains. But didn't leave a notice or a opening for a new villain in the 3rd. Maybe they didn't have the 3rd planned yet.
Maybe they wanted Ledger to return. So, all together Nolan may not even introduce a new villain. I think he should. But if the Joker remains...and if it was anything like this last film, there is a good chance that the new villain may be over shadowed by the joker. IDK, really I can't say.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The more I think about it, the more Catwoman seems a likely choice as the next "villain" for the third movie.

And it already sounds BOOOORRIINNNG :schierke: :ganishka:

would you guys want someone to reprise jokers role they could still use him. i remember that he kills gordons wife in the comics he could try to corrupt gordon. heath did a great job. i hope they acknowledge that the jokers still out there even if hes in jail

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
While I don't think any actor could become Heath's Joker in the same way, I think a talented one could imitate it well enough to be convincing. I am hoping for a return of the Joker, personally.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Scorpio said:
While I don't think any actor could become Heath's Joker in the same way, I think a talented one could imitate it well enough to be convincing. I am hoping for a return of the Joker, personally.

Personally I need some time off of Joker because if they bring in someone else for the next movie it'll probably be too soon, this isn't like replacing Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. It'll be awhile before I forget his performance, from that first seen of doublecross (quadruple or maybe quintuplecross?) with the robbers I was hooked.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Guts' intestines said:
It'll be awhile before I forget his performance, from that first seen of doublecross (quadruple or maybe quintuplecross?) with the robbers I was hooked.

I could have played the Joker in that scene and you would have been none the wiser.

Escalus

Kiss My Cons
Walter said:
The more I think about it, the more Catwoman seems a likely choice as the next "villain" for the third movie.

And it already sounds BOOOORRIINNNG :schierke: :ganishka:

http://lolegag.com/2008/07/31/angelina-jolie-to-play-catwoman/

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Last edited:
X

Xem

Found this interesting.

...actor Joshua Harto plays Mr. Reese in “The Dark Knight,” an employee for Wayne Enterprises who comes to the conclusion that Batman is actually Bruce Wayne. Oh, and, it’s not like I’m spoiling anything; everybody and their dog has seen this movie already. He eventually gets targeted by the Joker before he can share his secret, after which he’s summarily pushed out of the movie after Bruce Wayne saves his life and gives him one hell of an evil eye. It’s either a loose end that never got tied up, or it’s a sign that he’ll be back in future movies.

Now, isn’t that kind of like Edward Nigma’s origin? Ex-employee to Wayne Enterprises, grown bitter, and seeking revenge against his former employer? And, ditching the lame “enigma” joke would be a step in the right direction, though another clue presents itself when you think about it for a second. His name in this movie is Mr. Reese. Mysteries. I’d say I might be on to something.

Mr. Reese... Mysteries. Clever.

However, a viral marketing campaign for Dark Knight might indicate the people behind the film were making much-less subtle hints to the Riddler's whereabouts, as Edward Nashton (an alias of the Riddler) "wrote" a letter to the editor at the Gotham Times Web site.
http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/07/28/wholl-be-the-next-batman-villain/

Nice discovery imho. I think it's pretty clear who the next villain will be. :badbone:

Griffith

Yeah, probably not that guy. :void:

I also disagree with the article's assertion that Bruce Wayne gives him "one hell of an evil eye." It's not much of one at all, and more a pleading look for mutual understanding.

Also, concerning another false assertion in the article, spoiler tags stay in effect; the movie has yet to be released in half the World.

X

Xem

Sorry for not putting the spoiler tags up there. Thanks for fixing it.

Honestly I'm not that big of a fan of having The Riddler as the next villain, even though I love the character. I read somewhere else that David Goyer said it's a strong possibility we'll get a villain we've never seen before as their is a plethora of villains to choose from, and there's really no need to rehash the same villains over and over.

As interesting as this guy's find is to me, I think it might be a little too cheesy to keep popping out big name actors playing big name villains. It just reeks of Shumacher. The Riddler could play a smaller role like Scarecrow did, that would seem more fitting to me.

Deci said:
I read somewhere else that David Goyer said it's a strong possibility we'll get a villain we've never seen before as their is a plethora of villains to choose from, and there's really no need to rehash the same villains over and over.

If done right, this idea gets my vote. ^_^

However I am concerned with what direction they would take this. Begins established who Batman is and relatively what he stands for. In Begins he had to deal with someone who also had similar beliefs about justice as him but they were too extreme and did not care for innocent people. In the Dark Knight he met the Joker, someone that is beyond understanding, the perfect criminal.. in a way.
So what kind of a Villain would seem fitting for the next Batman installment? Someone who is really strong physically? Someone who is a criminal mastermind? Someone very deceitful or pretty straight forward? Someone of Evil nature or a Hero with ideals that conflict with Batmans? Etc. Obviously it would be a combination of two or more and other traits as well. What I'm curious about is what combination would people here prefer?

Griffith

I don't really think it makes a difference as long as, whatever they do, they do it well. Speculating on some specious formula or ratio of which and how many villains would make the next movie best is... well, nothing I have anything nice to say about. =)

More generally speaking however, the most intriguing character/actor combination that's tangibly out there right now is Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if Hoffman is somewhat put off that he's being cast by the Internet as the Penguin, a fat, bumbling balding man with webbed feet and oily hair.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
I wonder if Hoffman is somewhat put off that he's being cast by the Internet as the Penguin, a fat, bumbling balding man with webbed feet and oily hair.

That's not how you spell greatest villain of all time.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith No More! said:
More generally speaking however, the most intriguing character/actor combination that's tangibly out there right now is Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

This is sarcasm right? You can't be serious

Griffith

Walter said:

He's probably too busy practicing his Penguin laugh and opening a special Batman-money checking account to worry about it. =)

Oburi said:
This is sarcasm right? You can't be serious

No, just my imagination, actually. Is your objection to Hoffman or to the Penguin? In any case, nobody was exactly jumping on board the Heath Ledger/Joker bandwagon either, but it turned out hiring actual good actors for difficult parts yields positive results! As I recall, you said you hated Ledger as an actor. How'd that turn out? =)

penguin_new_batman.jpg

Anyway, this is sort of the attitude I imagine for Hoffman's Penguin, not the more grotesque variety, though also with a dark edge not conveyed in this illustration. Somewhere between this and, dare I say...

batman66penguinS.jpg

:ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith No More! said:
No, just my imagination, actually. Is your objection to Hoffman or to the Penguin? In any case, nobody was exactly jumping on board the Heath Ledger/Joker bandwagon either, but it turned out hiring actual good actors for difficult parts yields positive results! As I recall, you said you hated Ledger as an actor. How'd that turn out? =)

Fair enough. I guess I'm just a little sick of Hoffman. I don't know if he'd make a good villain (MI 3 anyone). Plus another recycled bad guy, I don't know. But your right, I did say I didn't like Ledger before and now I'm a fan. I guess as long as Nolan continues to carefully make these films anything is possible. At this point the man has my blind faith that he'll make it cool no matter what. Glad to know you actually remember some of my posts by theway.

i want another villain thats not looking for anything logical i want another villain that just wants to watch the world burn. i can see the riddler delivering on that even though i could see the joker doing it before he would.

Top Bottom