Berserk > Speculation Nation

Will Casca return to Griffith?

(1/5) > >>

Foreverjung:
I was just wonderring about what Skullnight  once said to Guts, about what wanted may not be what Casca wants. So what do you guy's think. Will she return to Griffith's side once her memory is restored? Will the fact that Griffith's body is her son's sway her mind? Discuss!

Walter:

--- Quote from: Foreverjung on February 13, 2018, 05:25:34 PM ---I was just wonderring about what Skullnight  once said to Guts, about what wanted may not be what Casca wants. So what do you guy's think. Will she return to Griffith's side once her memory is restored? Will the fact that Griffith's body is her son's sway her mind? Discuss!

--- End quote ---

Femto raped Casca and turned her son into an inhuman. What mental gymnastics are you pulling in your head for her to want to "return to Griffith?"

When Skull Knight mentions the dilemma (what you want may not be what she wants), it was brought up within the context of restoring her mind, which could imply that she does not want to be restored.

Joe Chip:

--- Quote from: Walter on February 13, 2018, 05:38:29 PM ---The dilemma that Skull Knight proposes is within the context of restoring her mind, implying that she may not want to be restored.

--- End quote ---
Could it also mean that she may not want the revenge that Guts wants. I honestly always perceived it like that.

Walter:

--- Quote from: Joe Chip on February 13, 2018, 05:48:00 PM ---Could it also mean that she may not want the revenge that Guts wants. I honestly always perceived it like that.

--- End quote ---

Well, I wasn't stating it in absolute terms, just noting that the line had context, which could inform us about SK's cryptic prophecy.

Archer1215:

--- Quote from: Foreverjung on February 13, 2018, 05:25:34 PM ---Will the fact that Griffith's body is her son's sway her mind? Discuss!

--- End quote ---

I think it will definitely play a role in whatever her reason to fight turns out to be. But she isn't going to join Griffith. The only emotions she should be having for Griffith at this point are betrayal and revulsion. She isn't like Rickert, who was not present for the Eclipse and found something new to protect in Erica to help him grow past the loss of the Falcons. She was there to experience the horrors of the Occultation Ceremony herself, and she has been in a regressive state for the past few years and so hasn't been able to work through her trauma yet. We're going to be getting the latter after this mission in the Road of Dreams is over; this won't be the end of Casca's mental and emotional turmoil. But once she does finally work through it, I can all but guarantee she won't be fighting at Griffith's side.

However, while I do think she will be fighting with Guts and the party, I don't know if she will accept revenge as her motivation. She will almost definitely hate Griffith, but her forming a vendetta will do nothing but feed Guts' own desire for vengeance that he has been putting on hold until Casca was safe in Elfhelm. I think Casca will find her own reason to fight that goes beyond her former loyalty to Griffith or taking revenge with Guts, perhaps something involving her child. Not only would this create tension between her and Guts on what their next objective would be (it pushes Guts even further away from going after revenge), it also creates a major conflict for both Guts and Casca, as killing Griffith would most likely also kill their child. But I nevertheless see them opposing Griffith together, even if they aren't completely on the same page at first.

Side note, but I would also love to see Casca take her proper position as the Unit Commander of the Band of the Falcon. While I see Guts remaining as the de facto leader and beacon of inspiration for the party, I could see Casca taking up a co-leadership position with him, and bringing more authority and discipline to the way the group fights and operates. And when they eventually reconvene with Rickert, I could also see them coming together and waving the banner of the original Band of the Falcon to oppose Griffith's Neo-Band of the Falcon. This is actually something I think is a very strong possibility for the future of the story, and I couldn't be more excited for it. But Casca will probably have to deal with things such as depression and PTSD, as well as regain her confidence as a leader and warrior. Her slowly finding her way back to the confident warrior she used to be and eventually retaking her role as the commander of the Falcons would be an amazing character arc for her that could last the rest of the series.

I'm also expecting a lot of time to be spent with her building relationships with the rest of Guts' Band. I'm particularly looking forward to her interactions with Isidro. I could see her becoming a sort of "big sister" to him that tries to instill discipline in him and talk with him more about what it really means to be a soldier/swordsman.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version