Breaking Bad

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Sorry for the double-post... I'm having a Season 4 marathon, watching it on blu-ray. This is definitely my favorite season.

There's one thing I noticed.
When Walt goes to Los Pollos Hermanos, around the time Mike took Jesse, he does a lot of talking with that manager girl that works there. He was trying to get to Gus and he told her something like, "Tell him Walter White is here. He'll know what it's about." Now, in season 5, when Gus' involvement with the cartel gets further investigated, they're gonna ask some people questions at the restaurant. I wonder, is this girl a bystander, or is she one of these super trusted inside people that Gus has? Will she tell investigators, "Oh there was this dude Walter White who stormed into Gus' office one day." It would be such a trivial way for Walt to get caught, but... Holy crap. There are probably a lot of other little clues that Walt left behind, him being not the most experienced criminal.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Good thought, but I don't think those chicken employees were just regular doofuses prone to talk to cops. We'll see.
Personally I'd rather the chink in Walter's double life to be something he did stupidly, or ruined himself, rather than someone who ratted to the cops.

When Hank gave Walter the device, Walter acted stupidly. He knew Mike was there and that Mike could probably relay to Gus what the situation was, but Walt walked in anyway. He told Gus about the device and even waved it in his hand. The security cameras probably caught it. I don't know if the employees scrambled to clear it though.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Second promo, "Scared."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNk5qGEAt4

So scared she lost 30 lbs overnight! :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Second promo, "Scared."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNk5qGEAt4

So scared she lost 30 lbs overnight! :isidro:
Wow, yeah. She looks quite a bit different... Also, glad to see Walt finally getting some respect around here! :ganishka:

These sold out pretty quick. Kinda neat, though I'd never buy one personally: http://fillyourpocketsandleaveinpeace.com/bg/fypalip/

Griffith

Walter said:
Wow, yeah. She looks quite a bit different...

Skylar's weight has been like a subplot for me unto itself. Not to be crass about it, Anna Gunn is a beautiful woman regardless (too good for Walt, in fact =), but I've always thought it was funny that when she was playing pregnant she was a stick with no belly (I swear, sometimes it's like they forgot to strap it on) and then afterwards she ironically gained weight. Must have been some kind of postpartum weight gain brought on by the stress of the new baby and her crumbling family life. =)

Walter said:
Also, glad to see Walt finally getting some respect around here! :ganishka:

You mean Heisenberg. Walt's official Season 5 character photo:

WaltS5.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
You mean Heisenberg. Walt's official Season 5 character photo:
:isidro:

That's the most exciting thing I've seen about Season 5 thus far. Man, that look... Cranston is a fucking badass. One more month, guys.

Griffith

Walter said:
That's the most exciting thing I've seen about Season 5 thus far. Man, that look... Cranston is a fucking badass. One more month, guys.

Agreed, and speaking of which, since I first saw the season 5 poster, great as it is, I've wondered why they didn't have him wearing his signature pork pie hat like a crown for full symbolic effect. Thank God for photoshop:

s5posterhat.jpg

hellrasinbrasin said:
Went and bought series 1 - 3 of Breaking Bad earlier today.

Good man.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I had never actually seen the show in order I just caught episodes infrequently at night on AMC. Now that I have the 1st 3 years I can watch them before ordering season 4. I'm gonna take a pass on the final season and watch it when its on DVD as I have 4 series worth of material to consume 1st.

Griffith

Season 5 trailer, minorly spoilerific:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/on-air-trailer-time-bomb-breaking-bad

I'd say
Mike
steals it, but it's pretty much built on him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Season 5 trailer, minorly spoilerific:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/on-air-trailer-time-bomb-breaking-bad

I'd say
Mike
steals it, but it's pretty much built on him.
Some neat new material, all from Mike. But a lot of those clips were from Season 4.

It would be pretty funny if
the granny that was waving at Walter moments before the explosion in the final episode, would actually provide the police with his looks and start the series of events that will eventually set Hank on Walter's trail.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm doing my best not to speculate based on what I saw in the trailer, but it's hard... July 15 can't get here soon enough. :daiba:

Griffith

Walter said:
Some neat new material, all from Mike. But a lot of those clips were from Season 4.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a long-form trailer that's exclusive to this season. I like how they make it seem like Walt's gun-slinging with scenes of Mike from behind. A lot of bald guys on this show. =)

Surakemastura said:
It would be pretty funny if
the granny that was waving at Walter moments before the explosion in the final episode, would actually provide the police with his looks and start the series of events that will eventually set Hank on Walter's trail.

Judging from the episode 1 publicity photos in circulation, it won't have to be anything so serendipitous (GENUINE SPOILER):
Hank goes to Los Pollos Hermanos.

Walter said:
I'm doing my best not to speculate based on what I saw in the trailer, but it's hard... July 15 can't get here soon enough. :daiba:

Well then, let's speculate beyond that and place our bets for Breaking Bad's ending. Here are some generic possibilities broken into two main categories, Walt dies or Walt lives.

Walt Dies

Many have said, including Bryan Cranston himself, that this guy has to die, but is it true? And if so, how?

The Vito Corleone Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRYpjj2_gw#t=1m13s

Oh, sweet irony! Walt survives the hazards of his double life only to succumb to poor health, which is what drove him to his life of crime it in the first place. Also known as the "oh yeah, this guy has terminal cancer" ending. This is an obvious one that they could have had in mind from the start; it's like a twist ending that's not a twist at all. BUT, if they really wanted it to be a twist that would upset the audience at this point, instead of making Walter more deplorable (everyone left now expects and even wants that =), actually make him sympathetic and turn the last ew episodes into an earnest cancer drama.

The Scarface Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_z4IuxAqpE

Pretty self-explanatory, Walt goes out in a blaze of glory with rival dealers, the DEA, or whatever. Doesn't seem like Walt's style, even at his Heisenbergiest, but he's gotten swept up in stranger situations that could have come to the same (from the very first episode). Plus, it doesn't have to be on such a scale; this is basically any "work-related" death. The poor guy just has to get blown away by somebody, right? Which brings us to our next entry...

The Julius Caesar Ending, "Et tu, Jesse?":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGDXp24uWo#t=2m13s

I think a lot of people are counting on this one, and there's plenty of reasons. I will say no more.

The Sopranos Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6vuEsidMqI#t=4m35s

Nah.

Walt Lives

Now these are a bit more interesting in my opinion.

The Goodfellas Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja3Die31ihk

I doubt Walt is going to become an informant, since, unless some dues ex machina cartel boss enters the picture (possible), there's nobody for him to rollover on, he's THE GUY. Again though, it could happen, but this option more encompasses any scenario of Walt becoming a normal guy again. He and Jesse go their separate ways, Walt moves on with what's left of his family, and he has to cope with being his old unspectacular self, or a "schnook" as Henry Hill put it.

The Godfather Part II Ending:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKbNGhVajBI

That clip is a lot more meaningful if you watch the two and half hours preceding it, but you get the idea. Walt comes out on top, but at what cost? His family? Jesse? Sounds like a Pyrrhic victory that could leave him contemplating where he went wrong, even by his standards (should have died watching the elephants =). This one is probably my favorite (I've wanted it since before season 2 ended), though the next might be better...

The Seinfeld Ending, or "The People vs. Walter White":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTLvEagseZo#t=7m04s

Now this could be good. Reviled in its day for ending one of the best sitcoms ever on an down note, it's far more thematically appropriate for Breaking Bad (it'd still be a departure, not not necessarily in a bad way). What better way to expose the criminal menace we've been following than to cut the crap and just rehash the facts at trial? See his friends and family testify against him and catalog the lies, the drugs, the murders, and the plane crashes; basically all of Walt's crimes, legal and moral, at once. It would totally present him in a sobering new light. Just one of those creepy unassuming-looking old criminals you see on the news next to words like, "Rape Dungeon." Like I said, no better way to highlight the fact we've been rooting for the bad guy. Plus, it would be a great device for Walter's inner conflict, as he struggles between his freedom and his pride. Would he be able to handle a defense that would essentially be denying all his achievements when he's finally being recognized? Walt taking the stand in his has great, "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!" potential.

Saul Goodman: Mr. White, you're not some hardened criminal. You're in over your head. A school teacher. Cancer. Desperate for money. Roped into working for a drug dealer, unable to quit if you wanted to. You were just acting out of fear because you and your family were in danger...

Walt: I AM THE DANGER!

*gasps*

The possibilities are almost endless, including a potentially heartbreaking courtroom "Et tu, Jesse?" scenario where Jesse testifies against Walter and reveals all the horrible things Walt's done to him. On the other hand, it could also be a bond affirming moment where Jesse can't bring himself to do it despite everything. I think the two of them ending up in prison together would be a fair moral compromise, or, to put it another way... justice. Anyway, it's a long shot, but it would be a great twist on people's expectations.

Also, do you think he could possibly get off? :ganishka:

Th3Branded0ne said:
so many possibilities. Maybe Walt Jr. will take on the legacy.

gross.png

"I-I-I-I am, the one w-who knocks."

Griff, I can actually visualize most of those endings playing out in some way, shape or form. I kind of want Walt to get away with it all, personally. Godfather II ending. We'll see. I'd actually love to hate Walt by the end of the series.

Wow, that's a very thorough post Griffith. Like Proj, I can see most of those endings coming true. Well, my bet on the most likely ending is the Julius Caesar one for the reasons that have been mentioned time and again on this thread.

That was my serious speculation. Now, it's time for Stupidest Theory of the Month: a variation of what you call the Seinfield Ending. So, we know that the only two things that are almost certain to happen in Breaking Bad (although you never know with this show) is that 1. Hank finds out about Walt's outlaw activities and 2. Jesse discovers what Walt has done to his loved ones. So check this out!

Depending on which one happens first, and IF Walter has by some unlikely means gotten access to the cartel tape beforehand showcasing Jesse's expertise in cooking the blue meth... Walter makes a deal, Jesse gets framed as Heisenberg, and Walt walks away and dies by cancer a poor man. :ganishka: (Hey, we all know that tape has to play one role or another in the future so why the hell not!!!!!)

My god, this theory is full of holes - Walt's pride getting in the way by wanting the credit for the deeds is actually one of the smaller ones. Maybe it won't go down this exact way, but if by some crazy circumstances Jesse ultimately gets all the blame, that will make the audience completely hate Walter White by the end of the show, if the creators really want to make Walter as depicable as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF-RPoNP__8&feature=player_embedded

Link to a new clip.

Few weeks ago Cranston did talk about the possibility of a movie - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-a-breaking-bad-movie-bryan-cranston-doesnt-rule-it-out-20120615,0,3312537.story

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I just started watching. I'm only 3 episodes in, but damn did this show hooked me. Looks like I'll be marathoning in my spare time. :ganishka:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Delta Phi Zeta said:
I just started watching. I'm only 3 episodes in, but damn did this show hooked me. Looks like I'll be marathoning in my spare time. :ganishka:
That's great, I hope you enjoy it! There's nothing quite like following Breaking Bad from week to week, so if you keep up your marathoning, you'll be able to catch some episodes before the show ends ( :judo: :judo:).

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Well, I just finished the 4th season. Streamed seasons 1-3 and went out and bought season 4. Lack of work hours--this has been my life for the last few days. And just in time, since 5 starts up this Sunday. So glad I got into this show (in part because of all the Breaking Bad "advertisements" in everyone's sigs and avatars).

There was one line I wanted to ask about.

When the assassin has Hank Schrader pinned to the ground, he says, "No, muy fácil". Does he mean that he wants his kill to be a challenge or does he mean that he doesn't want Hank to die easy but instead make him struggle and suffer?

I'm also really excited for the season premiere. This is by far the best show I have ever watched.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Groovy Metal Fist said:
There was one line I wanted to ask about.

When the assassin has Hank Schrader pinned to the ground, he says, "No, muy fácil". Does he mean that he wants his kill to be a challenge or does he mean that he doesn't want Hank to die easy but instead make him struggle and suffer?

I'm also really excited for the season premiere. This is by far the best show I have ever watched.

I think it's about Hank dying too easy, he was already wounded and just a shot to the head would have done the deal. But as you saw, those cartel guys were ruthless, and were out for revenge to whomever killed Tuco.

Top Bottom