PS3 and XBOX 360

CnC

Ad Oculos
4 million turns to half a million. haha

And my earlier comment was talking about priorities, not actual numbers. Its probably going to be short on all fronts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
And my earlier comment was talking about priorities, not actual numbers. Its probably going to be short on all fronts.

Yeah I know, my point is just that since it's going to be out of stock everywhere in the end it won't change much. Still, March 2007 is 5 months later (And who knows? It might end up being September 2007)... That's the second time the PS3 misses a Christmas with the Xbox 360 out In Europe, and this time the Wii should also be there.

S

smoke

Nintendo is the smartest of all three companies. Simply because they don't make huge promises that they can't keep. It's better to leave everybody a little in the dark than to constantly delay/modify shit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of unkept promises, here's more:

http://ps3.net/newsboard/view.php?id=440

Remember at E3 2006 and Kaz hirai was interviewed and said that all PS1 and PS2 games will be fully backwards compatible with the PS3, as well as with CD's, DVD's, and Blu-Ray Discs. Well that's not the case anymore. According to their website under "About" tag with the 13 questions.

When asked "Can I still play my PS2 games, etc... on PS3?", and it gives the answer and then at the bottom in fine print it says this, and I quote:
"* Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. In rare instances, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs and other media may not operate properly on the PS3 system. This is primarily due to variations in the manufacturing process or encoding of the software.*"

CnC

Ad Oculos
between the backwards compatibility lie and the pre-rendered "in-game" cinematics that were common in last years E3, does anyone really take what these companies say seriously anymore?

Add to that the ps3 costs a fortune and will be in short supply (something that I'm sure will add to the price), the ps3 doesn't really look all that promising atm.

I guess the PC is going to be the place to go for all your pretty graphical needs, and the Wii with the new gameplay mechanic. meh.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
or they are having the same troubles as Microsoft is with making Xbox games work on Xbox 360, with the encoding of them

Looks like sony isn't the only one having issues with it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Meathook said:
Looks like sony isn't the only one having issues with it.

Well that's nothing new, the Xbox/Xbox 360 retrocompatibility is a shame. Microsoft has been blamed a lot over it. It's slowly getting better, but they're still far from an acceptable number (of Xbox games supported by the X360).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Somehow, putting "Sony" and "Support" in the same sentence feels off. I don't know how we can expect Sony to be all that reliable when it comes to porting these games over from the ps2.

But that aside, backwards compatibility is something people care a lot about on paper but not much in practice. Do you know a lot of people who still play their ps1 games on the ps2? Its nice to have the option, but thats about it.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
CnC said:
But that aside, backwards compatibility is something people care a lot about on paper but not much in practice.  Do you know a lot of people who still play their ps1 games on the ps2?  Its nice to have the option, but thats about it.
I play my PS1 games as much as I play my PS2 games. I won't forget my classics like FFVII or Xenogears...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Majin Tenshi said:
I play my PS1 games as much as I play my PS2 games. I won't forget my classics like FFVII or Xenogears...
Count me as well, all I need to know, when can my PS3 (when I get it anyways) be modded so I can play the Japanese version of...

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACER!

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
Honestly I really could care less about backwards compatability. I'm getting a new system to play the new games on it. I'll prolly keep my PS2 around just cuz its a hand small DVD player. And that I use alot.

But frankly, I think we all need to step back and take a breath regarding the PS3. Its not even out, lets wait a year or so before we make a real judgement.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Meathook said:
But frankly, I think we all need to step back and take a breath regarding the PS3. Its not even out, lets wait a year or so before we make a real judgement.

You know, I think right now people aren't even commenting on the PS3 anymore but just on Sony itself and how badly its executives have been handling things lately. I understand how it can be unsettling for people awaiting the console to be fed all this bullshit/counter-bullshit day and night. In a way it's a lack of respect to their customers. Of course it's nothing new in this industry, but this time it's going a bit far.

Currently the best thing Sony can do IMHO is to shut up, show games working, and release a product that's all they claim it is. They have a fanbase that'd follow them in hell, so as long as they set things straight it should work out for them.

I'm a Sony man myself, but the PS3 has dissapointed me on almost every account.

The insane price, with graphics that wont even be THAT much better than the 360.

Next to no good original games that arent sequels of franchises.

The disabling of the rumble feature in the controller, which will fuck up gameplay from older games, such as Metal Gear Solid, which used the function as an integral part of gameplay.

I'll wait a year or two after the thing comes out, and depending, buy it or skip and be fat and happy with my PS2.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I finally ordered a 360 today. overstock.com had the good system (not core) it for about 70$ off so I went for it.

We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck :guts:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
There's nothign to say that the system won't be backwards compatable, just that some games may perform differently and a few may not work. I've crashed my PS2 playing Crono Cross, so this is really nothing to get my panties in a knot over. It's not like I'm gonna be able to dump off my PS2 anytime soon, so for me and probably the average gamer it's really not a big peave.

What it really comes down to is whether or not the system is worth the money. Right now, that's a definate 'no.' I don't care about the lies about the graphics, the clone of a controler with it's buggy stolen motion sensitivity, or anything else, the system just isn't worth $600 when you can get a nearly identical system for much less (the 360).

Yeah and they are releasing a patch this fall to allow 1080P output on the 360. I have no allegiance to a brand. I will eventually own all 3, but this the first time in a long time I am not scrambling to put my money down on a system. I will prob pick up a Wii since they will be in a abundant supply, but I am going to wait on PS3. 360 will have Phantasy Star Universe next month (im a pso junky) and Gears of War in Nov. Chromehounds is taking my time ( one hell of a mech game, more simulation like mechwarrior than mechassault). Let me know if you get any online games CnC, my gamertag is Grendelrt on live.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
grendelrt said:
360 will have Phantasy Star Universe next month (im a pso junky)

Be wary before you buy it though, they're experiencing severe technical difficulties in Japan. I'm talking no online mode for over a month.

Yeah I read about that. Sega is going to make 2 servers to help alleviate that problem, I hope they have the kinks worked out by the time the 360 one comes out. How do you like it so far though?

CnC said:
Sony dropped the price for Japan to about 415$on the 20gig version, and now both versions have HDMI.

Dunno if they'll do this for the other markets but I can pretty safely assume this is a direct response to the 360 announcing the HD-DVD price.  And the HDMI thing should have been on both from the beginning, it was retarded to remove it.

Did you see their response to why they dropped it in the first place? They said basically they thought people would complain about having HDMI on the system when not needing it, so they were paying for something they didnt want. Pretty funny, I have never complained about extra output options, and ironically isnt that basically what they are doing with Blu Ray :serpico:

Now if it came out here for 400, I might be convinced to go pick one up earlier, but at this point.....nu uh.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good thing they're lowering the price (though it's only for Japan apparently) and adding HDMI to the Core Pack or whatever they call it, but they still clearly restated that they wouldn't produce many of these. The $600 version is the one people are supposed to buy. Same thing than with the X360 basically.

Top Bottom