TV Series: Lost

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Lost Season 4

Walter said:
PS: And the coolest thing he did in the whole series was the dlelivery of this line:

"Im not here for Jack ... Im here for the SUBMARINE."

And then the subsequent explosion of it. That's the John Locke I know and love..

I admit, that was pretty good too. :guts: But then he turned himself in. :judo:

Walter said:
And I still to this day fail to see why Locke killing his father on a ritualistic stone in front of the Others would have won some sort of popularity contest for him.

"What's wrong, chicken? Won't slaughter your dad who's tied prostrate to a rock? Huh? Come on, wuss. WUSS!"
"What a loser..."
"I thought you were someone ... but I guess I was wrong."

What I think is implied is that Locke needs to liberate himself completely from his past in order to accomplish greatness. Richard/Jacob/The island knew this and gave Ben their blessing when he decided to bring Cooper to the island, even though Ben saw it as an oppertunity to embarrass Locke in front of everyone by stressing the kill.

[quote author=Griffith No More!]and as for the Naomi scene, by the same argument, it contradicts it as much as it gives it "impact."[/quote]

It does contradict it, which is what makes it stand out. This is not the John Locke we know, something in him has changed suddenly after he killed his father/met Jacob and now we can guess this is what the Others wanted from Locke when he was supposed to kill his father; to help them (the good guys) fight "the bad guys" and defend the island.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Walter said:
"Im not here for Jack ... Im here for the SUBMARINE."

lostlockedance2.gif

A.C said:
What I think is implied is that Locke needs to liberate himself completely from his past in order to accomplish greatness. Richard/Jacob/The island knew this and gave Ben their blessing when he decided to bring Cooper to the island, even though Ben saw it as an oppertunity to embarrass Locke in front of everyone by stressing the kill.

Wow, the show seems to imply a fanfic's worth of material, I especially like it's apparently valid use of what would be some sort of retroactive foreshadowing.

krofft_sigmund_circle.gif

Oh, and The Island gives his blessing.​

A.C said:
It does contradict it, which is what makes it stand out.

Yes, that's the obvious rationale, but I was just pointing out that it goes either way just as well. To me, it was neither something contradictory nor did it really add impact, as the Naomi scene really didn't call back to those earlier moments, which had specific purposes in specific storylines with little overall impact in and of themselves. In both cases, it was just another random Locke moment, from the beginning of the series he's fluctuated from being weak to being a badass, it's the crux of his character, and he did it again in the season 3 finale, again in the season 4 opener, and he'll probably keep doing it despite the supposed change or transformation he keeps having each season, the nature of which also keeps changing season to season. Anyway, while I certainly hope Locke turns into some freebird Island defending badass, whether it serves him well or not, I think it's an appropriate place to go that makes sense from the build up thus far, but I'm not counting on anything, because if anything has been consistent with him, it's that the more things change, the more they stay the same. The writers thus far have been seemingly committed to "Locke Teasing" us. =)

Speaking of which, a new general topic of concern to discuss; thoughts on the impact the strike will have on the show (besides delaying it, obviously, more like what that delay will mean for actors/writers and the possible effects on the story)?

I liked tonight's episode better than last weeks. Funny thing I might as well mention, my first thought when they replayed Naomi's sister line was, "I bet it's a twin sister." And though that initially proved false, the woman on the phone sounded awfully similar. =)

The new characters are great! I hope Miles and Daniel Faraday stick around for a while. I didn't expect Miles to tell us their objective in this episode already. The pacing is good.

Loved Miles reply to Sayid "I collect soil samples..." lol
So he's a medium of some sort? Interesting...

Griffith

I wonder if Ben isn't really getting is info from super psychic powers he has on the Island or some bullshit. If he really had all this manpower and control of the situation, you wouldn't think he'd be so desperate or worried about these dorks. I mean, he theoretically could have set it up to have everyone on the freighter killed (yeah, so he probably does have a spy). Also, why is he able to remove guns from anybody, under any circumstances, like while tied up, without anyone noticing, particularly the people with the guns shoved in their pants? I mean, can he steal your underwear without you noticing too?

lost216henry.jpg

You know what, nevermind, just fuck it.​

Anyway, I like Miles the malcontent ghostbuster, can't wait for him to meet Jacob, and Frank the bearded drunkard pilot is an immediate favorite. I'm neutral on Dan the dorkwad, and Laura Croft the annoyingly accented hottie anthropologist I could probably do without, it was hate at the first word. I was sorry Ben failed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, I like Miles the malcontent ghostbuster, can't wait for him to meet Jacob, and Frank the bearded drunkard pilot is an immediate favorite. I'm neutral on Dan the dorkwad, and Laura Croft the annoyingly accented hottie anthropologist I could probably do without, it was hate at the first word. I was sorry Ben failed.
Yeah, Frank definitely shows potential to be my kind of guy. I don't mind Daniel, though he had one of the worst character intros of all time.

So, all told, of the educated new guys, we have a physicist, an anthropologist and a ghostbuster. All that's missing is a zoologist and we've got Dharma 2.0! Seriously, I think the creepy lanky black man represents the remains of Dharma and wants to bring down the TERRIST (Southern Americanese for terrorist) who brought down his clan of sci-fi geeks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

"I probably wouldn't be alive if I still had a kidney there."

IT WAS MEANT TO HAPPEN SO HE WOULD LIVE. :idea: :isidro:

Anyway, Miles annoys me and I was glad Jack made fun of him about that "how stupid" line. I hope he gets put down continuously from now on until he dies. Sawyer was kinda annoying too with his bitching, though I didn't mind him punching Ben repeatedly, that made the whole experience more enjoyable. By now you'd think the guy's face would be a pulp though. I'd say Frank is the most tolerable one out of the new guys, he was pretty cool. I don't mind the chick much, and Daniel is alright in his submissive way, but he was too dorky and prissy for his own good in this episode.

The fake plane thing could have been exploited better I think... But at least they tied that up. Now, I wonder why the guys want to get their hands on Ben. And I agree with Griff that his endless magic tricks and mastermind bullshit are getting a bit old/hard to believe. At this point it's becoming plausible that Jacob might not exist and that Ben could really just be a brilliant illusionist. He's the next David Copperfield, taking people to his island and all that. :void:

Griffith No More! said:
a new general topic of concern to discuss; thoughts on the impact the strike will have on the show (besides delaying it, obviously, more like what that delay will mean for actors/writers and the possible effects on the story)?

http://blog.lostpedia.com/2008/02/carlton-five-more-episodes-of-season-4.html

Looks like there will be 5 more episodes, making it a 13 episode season as a whole, and the writers intend to wrap up this season the way they originally intended, meaning they will increase the pace even more for the final five episodes and cut away three episodes worth of material. That should make you guys happy =P

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I dunno, Im kind of ambivalent. While the pace will speed up, that could mean everything this season will seem forced.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Looks like there will be 5 more episodes, making it a 13 episode season as a whole, and the writers intend to wrap up this season the way they originally intended, meaning they will increase the pace even more for the final five episodes and cut away three episodes worth of material. That should make you guys happy =P

Well, depends how it's done, really. If they remove worthless stuff, why not. If they remove worthwhile stuff, that sucks. And I don't trust studio execs all that much when it comes to logic.

Walter said:
I dunno, Im kind of ambivalent. While the pace will speed up, that could mean everything this season will seem forced.

Isn't 'Lost' just one big convoluted 'forced' story?

I've always had the impression that there was a lot of retconning going on; "Oh yeah, he totally did that because..." stuff. As in, they write in fucked up shit in the hopes that eventually they'll be able to explain it away.

(I'm sure I'll soon be exiled from this thread) :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Nonsapient said:
I've always had the impression that there was a lot of retconning going on; "Oh yeah, he totally did that because..." stuff. As in, they write in fucked up shit in the hopes that eventually they'll be able to explain it away.

(I'm sure I'll soon be exiled from this thread) :puck:

Well, I don't think you're completely wrong, some stuff really does feel like it's being written as time goes by. I don't think there's much actual retconning going on though.

Griffith

Nonsapient said:
Isn't 'Lost' just one big convoluted 'forced' story?

Shhhhh, don't tell anybody.

Anyway, only 13 episodes now? How about they do a real God damn season, and how can this be "like they planned" when they change everything on the fly, as usual. I thought the episode limit was supposedly going to stop filler, yet they can cut out three episodes like nothing (like I've been saying, the show is mostly filler by design, so they can add or subtract however much they want). These guys were real badasses back when they were doing full 24 episode seasons, now they can barely get past the halfway point without quiting or taking a "break," and this was supposed to be a lame 16 episode season already, and after a 9 month hiatus, and they still can't do it!? This isn't just Lost, this shit has plagued successful programs, the Sopranos are the king of this shit for example, for a while now. Hey guys, instead of punishing your faithful audience, why don't you reward them by producing the show like you would if you were trying to get people to watch it regularly, instead of seemingly doing the opposite. I think part of the reason the strike probably didn't bother TV viewers as much as they thought it might is because we're already used to being jerked around like this for months at a time.

[quote author=Nonsapient]
I've always had the impression that there was a lot of retconning going on; "Oh yeah, he totally did that because..." stuff. As in, they write in fucked up shit in the hopes that eventually they'll be able to explain it away.[/quote]

Your impression seems to be shared by many casual viewers, but it is wrong.

[quote author=Griffith No More!]
and how can this be "like they planned" when they change everything on the fly, as usual. I thought the episode limit was supposedly going to stop filler, yet they can cut out three episodes like nothing[/quote]

Well, it isn't exactly as they planned, Season 4 is to be re-written to end with the same storyline elements as previously written, but in only 5 episodes. The three "lost" Lost episodes will somehow fill in the story arc of the remaining last two seasons (since they are not filler. From now on nothing is filler.)

The writers says this is a challenging and ambitious plan.
Quote:
"we've found ourselves in a situation where we had eight episodes of story planned, and we're going to try to fit that into five hours of the show. Even though it's going to be very hard to execute, we felt like any less would be doing a disservice to the story we had planned. We really want to give the fans the best possible experience and ending... to Season 4."

[quote author=Griffith No More!]
this was supposed to be a lame 16 episode season already, and after a 9 month hiatus, and they still can't do it!?[/quote]

I was surprised too, but apparently it will take some time to get everything and everyone back together. They will apparently start shooting again first in late March.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, only 13 episodes now? How about they do a real God damn season, and how can this be "like they planned" when they change everything on the fly, as usual. I thought the episode limit was supposedly going to stop filler, yet they can cut out three episodes like nothing (like I've been saying, the show is mostly filler by design, so they can add or subtract however much they want).
lockescripts.jpg

"Oh, you gotta be kidding me."

Something tells me not everyone will be happy with the rewrites.

benscripts.jpg

"Have I always had four toes?"

Griffith

A.C said:
I was surprised too, but apparently it will take some time to get everything and everyone back together. They will apparently start shooting again first in late March.

That's the thing, the trouble should be in getting production started again, so why stop AGAIN after that? There isn't a time limit going forward, it's not like this is some window between now and another strike coming up. Way to make up for lost time guys, get back to fucking work. Anyway, I love all their PR hype bullshit, "all were doing is going from high octane storytelling to super high octane storytelling is all, strap yourselves in!" Yeah right, wake me when the excitement of doing less with more time sets in.

The good thing that could come out of this though is that maybe they'll come to their senses, do 11 more episodes after this 13, and call that season 4, a legitimate 24 episoder. Then they can do the remaining 24 in whatever retarded, broken up, format they want and call it season 5.

Walter said:
Something tells me not everyone will be happy with the rewrites.

Hahaha, well, I know someone who will be no matter what:

...nothing is filler.​

UPDATE:
SAYID IS WEAPON X!

Now that was an episode. I give it a touchdown and 4 Sayid neckbreaks:

losttouchdown.gif

lostsayid.gif
lostsayid.gif
lostsayid.gif
lostsayid.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I haven't watched it yet so technically I just spoiled myself by reading your post, but NECKBREAK?! I need to get home NOW. :beast: Is this the Sayid episode we've been waiting for? :p

Griffith

My bad, not everyone can see the show at first airing, so let's get spoiler tags in full effect from now on. At least for 48 hours to be safe, and it's not like we really need details from the show for our usual discussion in here of, "This show is bullshit!" and "No it's not!" =)

I always stay away from this thread after an episode aired until I've got a chance to download it. I just watched it and wow...Season 4 just keeps getting more awesome. that was one hell of a flash-
forward. Sayid + Ben = awesome. Why do I get the feeling that Sayid is going to take the place of Ben's spy on the boat...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well, that was cool.
I liked that Hugo deceived Sayid and the others, well played. The mystery room in Ben's house looks unnecessary, it's not like "his people" believed him to be an angel... The time delay with the rocket was interesting, but then again I hope it'll lead to something else and won't just be more useless trivia. Lastly, Sayid as a hitman was cool, despite him being the usual lovey-dovey fool. I had guessed his "employer" would be Ben before the reveal though.

Aazealh said:
I had guessed his "employer" would be Ben before the reveal though.

At first I thought Sayid was working for the freighter people since I put him among the group of 815'ers who could potentially end up on the bad side, but working for Ben is even better!

"These people don't deserve our sympathies."

Finally we're getting back to the whole list thing. That's one of my favorite mysteries.

Loc_n_lol

Amazed Mule is amazed...

Holy **** !
Miles eats
grenades
for breakfast. Locke was totally badass, though his behaviour makes him look less and less likeable.

Top Bottom