Author Topic: Dark Horse Releasing Berserk Guidebook  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: Dark Horse Releasing Berserk Guidebook
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 02:21:35 AM »
I'm reading through the whole guidebook now, which is just surreal. One thing I'm curious about: they spelled it as "Tudor" instead of their translation of "Chuder." I'm curious if they're correcting that error, or if they just didn't coordinate the translation with previous releases. But if they ARE correcting it, how could they still call him "Knight of Skeleton"?  :SK:

There are quite a few inconsistencies, which is sadly to be expected given that this is a real hodge-podge production by Dark Horse, with a ton of text and obviously not a ton of copy-editing. I was surprised to see that in the interview they used the correct phrase "incarnated" to refer to Femto, and but then on the character section, refers to it as "resurrected." Oh well!

And yeah, that Knight of Skeleton business: back when a few of the DH team used to post here, they shared that they had reached out to Hakusensha to clarify how they should translate Dokuro no Kishi, which turned out to be a mistake. Because the official verdict from up top was "Knight of Skeleton" likely because they had already dealt that shitty translation for statues/figures and wanted consistency abroad.  And because they had asked for clarity, they had to stick to it.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline m

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 09:25:20 AM »
Just finished the interview. A few typos aside, it's really fantastic. Everybody should read that thing.

To be honest I wasn’t planning on buying the guidebook, but your comment made me change my mind. :serpico: My copy should be arriving in a few days.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 02:48:16 PM »
To be honest I wasn’t planning on buying the guidebook, but your comment made me change my mind. :serpico: My copy should be arriving in a few days.

I could trash-talk 75% of the guidebook for a full thread. Most of it is worthless for fans who have even a passing understanding of the basics of Berserk. As Aazealh said earlier in the thread, if they needed filler to surround the interview, an artbook would have been a much more welcome — and needed — addition to the Berserk merchandise lineup. But the interview itself is unassailable.

Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time intuiting Miura's impressions in the absence of very little information, it's powerful (even surprisingly disconcerting!) to read Miura's straight talk on aspects of the whole series. The interview goes through each arc of the manga and captures insights from Miura on his intent and how he executed the ideas, sources of inspiration, and more.  Of course, there was a fan translated version of this interview circling around a year ago, but I didn't pay much attention to it, as I was waiting for a better translation. In comparing the two last night, I found this official one more coherent and natural-sounding, which is pretty important if you're trying to formulate the main man's opinions on things.

As usual, Miura comes across as modest to a fault, which requires some processing to get at the truth of the matter. This manner of speaking is natural for Japanese readers, who see a modest person and infer mastery and confidence (think "Yoda"). But in English, he sometimes comes across as self-deprecating and inconsiderate, given the pristine quality of the series he's created. For example, he talks at length about how he doesn't plan very far in advance, creates dialogue for scenes on-the-spot, etc., but then drops the bombshell that he created the idea of the Beast manifesting from the Berserk Armor back in Volume 16 — 10 volumes ahead of its debut. So much for not making explicit plans!

:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »
For example, he talks at length about how he doesn't plan very far in advance, creates dialogue for scenes on-the-spot, etc., but then drops the bombshell that he created the idea of the Beast manifesting from the Berserk Armor back in Volume 16 — 10 volumes ahead of its debut. So much for not making explicit plans!

Just for this kind of information it makes me want the guidebook more. I really need to clear up some space on my credit card. (Also have vol 39 to get in english and vol40 in japanese)

Fuck my financial situation of the moment.  :sad: