Berserk TV Series - Second season

Walter said:
I guess what it comes down to is that the translation between genres has always bothered me. Just like a book-movie adaptation. The first season of Berserk is... a little embarassing.

The anime has gotten great reviews and is regarded to be one of the best anime of all time it may not be the best tranlation from manga to anime but if you don't compare it to the manga you see that the anime by itself it's in fact a great series.

Now on a different subject I would prefer if and I mean if there's a second season to be aired on Satelilte Dish in Japan it has lesser restrictions in censorship than on regular TV. Gantz first season was extremely edited but the second season wasn't edited at all that's because it has shown on a Satellite Network same thing happen with the heavy fanservice series Girls Bravo.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
ZODDGUTSU said:
The anime has gotten great reviews and is regarded to be one of the best anime of all time it may not be the best tranlation from manga to anime but if you don't compare it to the manga you see that the anime by itself it's in fact a great series.
Exactly. People need to stop comparing the anime to the manga.. they're two different things. The anime should be appriciated for what it is, not criticized because of what the manga is. It's a fucking cool show.

Yes, the anime is what attracted alot of people to Berserk. They finished watching it and, "WTF?!?!", is what they thought. They then went out on a quest to find out more. Manga, what is that? Miura, he writes and draws Berserk? Over 6,000 pages in the story so far? Wow, I will have to check this out. :D

Without the anime, many people would have never heard of Berserk. That would put a cramp on Miura as he would not have reached as many people. Yes, he would still be incredible, no doubt about that, but if alot less people knew, he wouldn't have as good a motivation. ;D

Regardless, whether you like the anime or not, it spreads Berserk. That is a fundamental of this site, to expand the knowledge of Berserk, yes? So just accept the anime for what it really is, a gateway or an intro into the Berserk world. Just realize Berserk has most types of media, pictures, story, audio, video, the more the better.

Give Miura credit for the foundation he has built, all of it, from the biggest boulder to the smallest pebble. It doesn't matter which part you consider the biggest or the smallest. Just like Puck or Isidoro in the thread where people were stating they wish Miura would get rid of them for example. Without them, Berserk would not be as incredible as it is. Without the anime, manga, or any random part, it would not be as totally absorbing.

Keep pointing people towards Berserk, the bigger the better. 8)

- C

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
People like SUV's, so they should make Berserk the SUV to broaden it's appeal to morons! Then send them this way, PLEASE!

Frankly, I wish only I, Wally, Aaz, Olivier and maybe about 10 other people I can think of knew about Berserk, and Kentarou Miura would draw it just for us, and he would deliever it to us with our morning paper (he's also the paper-boy in this scenario) before taking a break to go to boobie-land paradise. More realisitically, I wish things were like the good old days when BSOM really was like the only place that knew about Berserk.

On a less bitter note, I'd love a second season, but I'm not hoping for it in the least.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I have to admit that a second season would only set me and those who started reading the manga after the anime to a complete set of dissapointment. You really can't beat knowing a lot more from this story right after getting a glimpse (anime), to an explicit more detailed pattern.

I guess that what I am trying to saaa...eeerrrr post; we know all the story, we know what's gonna happen... watching a "tampered-with" storyline isn't my idea for a "hope's-up". :-\

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
It's still cool to see *parts* of the manga unfold in animation.. for God's sake I downloaded everyone of Aazealh's PS2 game cut scene's just to be able to watch some animated scenes from the manga.. and those were 10 times more butchered then the season 1 anime.. but I enjoyed watching them nonetheless.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So basically, you want season 2 because you like things to move rather than... not move. Right?

That's a lot of wasted money invested in a production when you could just use your imagination and be satisfied.

Walter said:
So basically, you want season 2 because you like things to move rather than... not move. Right?

That's a lot of wasted money invested in a production when you could just use your imagination and be satisfied.

Imagination? That has been long gone from this world my TV does my imagination for me. :D

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Walter said:

Yes, I like things to move rather then not move.. I find it more entertaining that way.. hearing the voices.. seeing the movements. If everyone thought the way you did there would be no need for TV at all.. we'd all just use our imaginations. But alas, the 1800's are long gone.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
As much as I do like anime, I've found manga to be much better even though it doesn't move. I'd like to see a Season 2 of the Berserk anime myself but I will in no way ever prefer an anime over its original manga counterpart. But that's just me. ;D

S

Some Guy

Sure'd watch a Berserk Season 2 (it'd be cool, but that's about it.), but as most people have posted, I really don't care if one is ever made, considering the first was apparently altered to be somewhat self contained.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
To the person who said that production values for anime have gone up, actually....

Production values have dropped dramatically for japanese animation. For several years now many animators have had to put up with substandard working conditions, not being paid their full wages and so on, and being thretened with termination if they open their mouthes about it.

Basically an industry-wide situation like the recent issues EA has been having x10. Instead of paying their workers higher wages and providing better working conditions however, most of the major studios have opted to outsource most of their work to korea like American animation companies do, leaving only pre-production stuff to be done locally.

I don't watch much anime anymore, but what I have seen makes the Berserk anime look masterful. Plus, Berserk didn't have to deal with poorly done 3D effects that seem to have taken the animation industry by storm.

I'm not the only one who seems to think so, as anime has become far less profitable in Japan lately. And many are predicting that production in japan for domestic consumpion may be comming to an end.

There's probably a bit of disinformation in that rant. I've always had a terrible memory, so anyone who knows more about what's going on in the industry is welcome to correct me.

Anyway just voicing my two cents here, but I think any topic about a second season of Berserk should be closed and the subject be made bannable until (God forbid) a second season is actually out and on store shelves or airing on TV or something.

As for watching a second season if it were to air, not unless I heard really good things from the fellow skeptics. I would however snatch up the soundtrack in a heartbeat.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
DefaultJ!! said:
Man, BERSERK: THE SUV would be pretty awesome.
I hope there's some sarcasm hidden in there.

Also, this may sound stupid, but why not use the sprites from the PS2 game instead of traditional animation? One thing that bugged me about the anime was the loss of the realistic style, which I think was a real important part of Berserk.

As for the self contained part, gimme some say in the story and I'll get it back on track. (Start with a pre-adventure where Guts kills a minor apostle and finds Puck in a bar, tie Skull Knight in by telling what happened to Rickert, ignore the fact that they call Griffith king in the first episode of the 1st season, mostly fixed.) From then they could just use the manga storyline.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
why not use the sprites from the PS2 game instead of traditional animation?

Yeah, I'm sure it would be great (and they're not "sprites").

Vaxillus said:
As for the self contained part, gimme some say in the story and I'll get it back on track.

We've had lots of talks about that in the past, and everybody (including me) thinks they could put it back on track some way or another. But in truth it'd be gross, basically an expedited catch up that wouldn't even correct all the incoherences. I'd rather have OAVs that completely ignore the first season and its deviations from the manga.

Here is some news on Berserk Season 2. I got it off an article on aint it cool news about the Boston Anime Convention. Heres the snippet about Berserk 2:

"Berserk 2 will probably be produced at some point, but it is currently in the talking stage of production. The involved parties know that Media Blasters is interested in the series. It was noted that while the Berserk manga is popular in Japan, the anime was more popular in North America and Europe than it was in Japan."

The article was posted on May 7th. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20162

Vaxillus

That could be either good or bad. I hope they do a good job if they decide to produce the series. Hopefully none of the bad CG special effects that keep getting thrown in for no apparent reason.

Aazealh said:
No offense dude but that kind of news was there last year and the year before, too (was probably posted in this very thread last year). Same as always, vague assumptions from a vague source, punctuated with old information.

EDIT: It was already in pre-production in 2002, 3 years ago.

Oh I know it has been said before many times, but it always good to see people still talking about it, especially in such a big article about current releases they just pop out info about a Berserk 2 out of nowhere, I wansnt expecting to see anything Berserk related, but there it was. It is nice to know that the anime is still such a big deal in the US that they still mention it.

EDIT: ^^^^^ Wow I just realised I wrote the biggest run on sentence ever ;D

As people have said before, an OAV would be perfect. 12 episodes would get the job done. You could do it with great production value, and best of all, it wouldn't be as heavily edited as the first season. This is the way I would like it to be broken down:

1- First half: talks about how Guts, Caska and Rickett were saved. Second half: Shows guts getting his gear, killing his first apostle and leaving.
2- First half: Basically volume 1, chapter 2 exept puck is introduced, and he is travels with the gypsies puck was traveling with during the eclipse (this is how I would like him to be introduced). Second half: Guts begins fight with count.
3- Guts ends fight with count.
4 to 7- Lost children.
8 to 11- Rebirth ceremony.
12- Duel at the hill of swords.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. Also, I would really like a series with good animation and NO DAMN 3D!!!! And I don't think the series was THAT bad seeing as it was a late night show and the restrictions that are put on TV. And as others have said before, if it wasn't for the anime I wouldn't have been intoduced to the manga.

Opie

The Sex Icon
I'd watch a new season just to see some of the key points in the Manga put to that awsome music the show had. The Rebirth with Behlit in the background....awsome.

Vaxillus

Opie said:
I'd watch a new season just to see some of the key points in the Manga put to that awsome music the show had. The Rebirth with Behlit in the background....awsome.
I have to say, you bring up a good point. One of the things that makes Berserk have so much atmosphere is the music. No matter how much they butcher the comic, it would be worth it if Susumu Hirasawa did as good a job on the soundtrack as he has been.

People always talk about a second season of Berserk, but (even though it wouldn't happen) I think that the first season of Berserk reanimated would be pretty cool. Same voice actors, story, etc. As much as I like Berserk there were some flaws in the animation for the first season.

Top Bottom