Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

Was the connection of Bloodborne initially planned (and then cut) or something you could deduce from the plot (item descriptionsl dialogue, ...)? I'm not finished with BB yet but everything seemed very different from Demon's Souls so far. Oh Amygdala, give me the insight to see the answer!
The former. In an alpha build, Father Gascoigne would utter the phrase "Umbasa," which was the clergy's equivalent to "amen" in Demon's Souls. However, it was removed in the final version, and as it is, there's no concrete evidence connecting the two worlds.

giphy.gif

Feel free to delete this or correct me if it’s been posted.

But in this interview he straight up says the game is a sequel to dark souls.

I’m not sure if he means that literally or he’s mistaken? As many have said already the game is basically dark souls 4. But I’m curious if Miyazaki intends to somehow link the stories together beyond themes.

Feel free to delete this or correct me if it’s been posted.

I’m not sure if he means that literally or he’s mistaken? As many have said already the game is basically dark souls 4. But I’m curious if Miyazaki intends to somehow link the stories together beyond themes.
I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. It doesn't sound like even he fully understands what the project is, and I personally doubt he really cares. He doesn't seem like he's all that involved with the game's development, and most of what he had to contribute was done years ago.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
He's likely just speaking practically, as he understands and contextualizes it, rather than technically, in terms of official canon or IP (which fans inevitably get more pedantic about than the actual authors). So no, he's not likely talking about a direct in-game connection (though he wrote for it, so maybe if he thinks so; it could indicate he didn't shy away from using DS as inspiration or a basis), but in any case, for all intents and purposes this is the next Dark Souls. I mean, is it more wrong to think so than thinking it's truly different because the name's changed?:shrug:

Maybe we should think of From Soft more like a band and the Souls games like their albums. In that sense this is definitely another sequel to Dark Souls in every way that matters, but it's not like the lyrics are going to follow the exact same subject matter.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I’m not sure if he means that literally or he’s mistaken?

Like Cyrus said, he's just talking from his perspective as someone who doesn't know much – nor cares about – video games. His comments are a confirmation of what we previously assumed: he worked for a limited time (likely days) on a setting for the game, meaning the lore, history and geography of it. "Not the plot or characters" as he says himself. Then From Software took it from there, and he hasn't really had any contact with them since.

Top Bottom