Game of the Year, 2008

Walter said:
Fuxberg's message is a little misleading. IGN only has their awards up for select systems, including PS3, PSP, DS and PC.

Game of the year for these platforms are:
PS3: MGS4
PSP: Patapon
DS: The World Ends With You
PC: Sins of a Solar Empire :schierke:

Yeah, i forgot to mention that. :troll:
Sins of Solar Empire... 0mg wut abo7 F4ll0u7?!?!?!1?

Walter said:
It's funny that IGN chose GTAIV as Best Action Game for the PC, even though the PC version is apparently riddled with major technical problems.

That seems to be happening a lot with these new games.
I've purchased Mass Effect, and since day one the BioWare guys promised "lots and lots of DLC, to be released on a regular basis". So... I've got the game for 7 months... Lets see, DLC, DLC... Oh, found it they released Bring Down the Sky 5-3 months ago, since then we've heard nothing. Hurray! Electronic Arts rocks (they bought BioWare and took over every project they had.)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
That seems to be happening a lot with these new games.
I've purchased Mass Effect, and since day one the BioWare guys promised "lots and lots of DLC, to be released on a regular basis". So... I've got the game for 7 months... Lets see, DLC, DLC... Oh, found it they released Bring Down the Sky 5-3 months ago, since then we've heard nothing. Hurray! Electronic Arts rocks (they bought BioWare and took over every project they had.)
Yeah... those guys are now working on Dragon Age, so I wouldn't expect them to deliver on the DLC end. Though I have a hunch a Mass Effect sequel could be in the works later down the line.

On the other hand, Far Cry 2 has already released screens of their DLC, promising 3-5 more hours of content, though in the same map as the full game... Fallout 3's DLC sounds way more interesting. Honestly though, I'd rather these companies just focus on full blown expansions, rather than these bite-sized new quests.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I think it's a pretty good game, and developed by a small indie studio as well... I'm not against IGN's decision on this.
Don't listen to me. I just personally can't be excited about a slow-paced RTS, regardless of how well done it is.

Also, hahaha, World of Goo, a third-party, downloadable game got Best Wii Game on IGN. That's what you get, Nintendo :ganishka: For the Wii, World of Good also snagged best puzzle, best artistic design, best WiiWare game and best new IP.

Aazealh said:
I think it's a pretty good game, and developed by a small indie studio as well... I'm not agaisnt IGN's decision on this.

Yeah, but it's nothing more than a pretty good game, you've got Mass Effect, Fallout3, Left4Dead and GTA4.. And they choose Sins of Solar Empire... It doesn't even have a single player mode; no campaign; no story... Nothing and i thing it's a pretty simple game. The ship classes are all the same for every race you choose; the buildings are the same; colony management is so simple that made laugh when i played it, I couldn't really see the challenge in that game.
I haven't played RTS games in a while (played all the Warcrafts; Starcrafts; Age of Empires; the Civ's; Master of Orion; C&C.. Ups wondered off) but those were real challenges and they were worth the while you spent on gaming, I'll be very sad if the new RTS's are this easy/simple.

Oburi

All praise Grail
fuxberg said:
Yeah, but it's nothing more than a pretty good game, you've got Mass Effect, Fallout3, Left4Dead and GTA4.. And they choose Sins of Solar Empire... It doesn't even have a single player mode; no campaign; no story... Nothing and i thing it's a pretty simple game. The ship classes are all the same for every race you choose; the buildings are the same; colony management is so simple that made laugh when i played it, I couldn't really see the challenge in that game.

Left4Dead had no story, and it was more of a multiplayer game too.
I don't see what is so cool about that game actually. I played it on single player and multiplayer and both times I felt completely bored after 10 minutes. The fact it had no story didn't make me feel like I was missing out much anyway. Seemed more of an arcade game, or maybe that was the point and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
I haven't played RTS games in a while (played all the Warcrafts; Starcrafts; Age of Empires; the Civ's; Master of Orion; C&C.. Ups wondered off) but those were real challenges and they were worth the while you spent on gaming, I'll be very sad if the new RTS's are this easy/simple.

The whole point of the game is the multiplayer part.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Left4Dead had no story, and it was more of a multiplayer game too. I don't see what is so cool about that game actually. I played it on single player and multiplayer and both times I felt completely bored after 10 minutes.
Play Versus mode online. The game's strength lies in the excitement and coordination that can only come from a well-managed team, whether you're playing as an infected or survivor. That being said, if you're stuck with a group of pubbies out for themselves, you probably won't have any fun.

And yeah, regarding Sins of a Solar Empire, I haven't played it, but from everything I've read about it, I'd hardly call it "simple." I'm actually not playing the game because it sounds too complex for me to get into.

been playing prince of persia... i do enjoy the altair skin... however, after about 1 hour of play, you have exhausted all the game's gimmicky mechanics... there is plenty of dialog though... i am still gonna beat just cuz i am more than half way through... anybody else playing it?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Psymont 2.0 said:
been playing prince of persia... i do enjoy the altair skin... however, after about 1 hour of play, you have exhausted all the game's gimmicky mechanics... there is plenty of dialog though... i am still gonna beat just cuz i am more than half way through... anybody else playing it?

Getting it for Christmas hopefully. Can't wait too, I :idea: Prince of Persia.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
So, it's not a game of the year title, and it's even mediocre by your review. Why are you mentioning it here, in this thread?

Oburi said:
Left4Dead had no story, and it was more of a multiplayer game too.
I don't see what is so cool about that game actually. I played it on single player and multiplayer and both times I felt completely bored after 10 minutes. The fact it had no story didn't make me feel like I was missing out much anyway. Seemed more of an arcade game, or maybe that was the point and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

You're just afraid of zombies. Admit it :SK:

Aazealh said:
The whole point of the game is the multiplayer part.

No matter how good the multiplayer may be, does it justify the award? We're talking about game of the year, they should've weighed more the different factors that makes a videogame the "game". We're talking about of how much can it draw a player in. If we we were just considering the multiplayer part we could very well deliver the prize to World of Warcraft, or Left4Dead or any online shooter.
Meh, I'm just ranting...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
No matter how good the multiplayer may be, does it justify the award? We're talking about game of the year, they should've weighed more the different factors that makes a videogame the "game". We're talking about of how much can it draw a player in. If we we were just considering the multiplayer part we could very well deliver the prize to World of Warcraft, or Left4Dead or any online shooter.
Meh, I'm just ranting...

You have to keep the context in mind. They gave L4D the best multiplayer game award, but check out what they had to say about SOASE:

This is a controversial choice, to be sure, as many games scored higher than Sins of a Solar Empire. Yet during our discussions it was the one game we kept coming back to; considering it shipped way back in February that was telling. This is the game that we may have easily played the most in 2008. It's that much fun. It's also a game that has had incredible post-release support in the form on free enhancements and additions from developer Ironclad Studios, which proved to be the little studio that could. Thanks to its wildly original and fresh take on RTS and its compelling gameplay that kept us up late at nights, this is our PC game of the year.

While the trend for all the big studios is to force people to purchase downloadable content and to not care much about bugs and player feedback in general, this small one is doing its best to provide a great experience. It's a symbolic decision that condemns certain practices and rewards others.

I ended up agreeing with IGN; I had a lot of fun with Sins, and that decision is really tempting me back into playing it again (I'm waiting for the expansion though... :void:)

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'd also like to throw out Soul Caliber 4. I know it's a fighting game and it really doesn't have a shot at being a serious contender but the game is amazing. I realized how truly complex it was after playing Mortal Combat Vs. DC universe (a very weak fighting game in comparison). I think SC4 is the best in the series and me and the gang play it all the effing time. Withought a doubt it holds a high slandered for future fighting games, a slandered that makes MC Vs. DC look like child's play.

Man I cant believe Dead Space was only mentioned, like what, once? That's the RE4 of this generation. One of the best looking, best playing, and best designed games I've seen in years. Hell their intergration of the HUD into the main characters suit and holographics was genius in and of itself. Oh and its one of the most immersive games Ive played in years.

Imagine if System Shock 2 and Resident Evil 4 had a love child and you've got Dead Space.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Man I cant believe Dead Space was only mentioned, like what, once?

Well that's because it was unlikely to be chosen as "Game of the Year" by most professional magazines. It got stuff like "best new IP" or "best horror game" instead.

Aazealh said:
Well that's because it was unlikely to be chosen as "Game of the Year" by most professional magazines. It got stuff like "best new IP" or "best horror game" instead.

I'd disagree. If RE4 can win several GOTY awards when it was released, I wouldn't put it past Dead Space to get some noms. I consider it a much better game than RE4 as well as the design choices in that game were brilliant from the makeshift weapons created out of mining tools, and the whole dismemberment idea.

I'm not fooling myself into thinking it'll sweep the gaming awards everywhere but I can see it getting nom's and maybe a few wins. Again best designed videogame in years, I cant wait for the sequel.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I'd disagree. If RE4 can win several GOTY awards when it was released, I wouldn't put it past Dead Space to get some noms.

The results are already out on sites like IGN or Gamespot. Gamespot didn't even nominate it for Game of the Year.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I'm not fooling myself into thinking it'll sweep the gaming awards everywhere but I can see it getting nom's and maybe a few wins. Again best designed videogame in years, I cant wait for the sequel.
I've really got no place to knock Dead Space, since I still really want to play it. But from what I read, it takes gameplay elements from several recent games and combines them into one cohesive package. Can that be considered innovative? I think that's why it got bumped down on the top spots this year in the mind of reviewers.

However, Dead Space has been one game that I've witnessed a huge disparity between reviewers and gamers -- even moreso than normal.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
Can that be considered innovative?

Can any big games released these days really claim to be innovative? They are all (mostly, anyway) repackaged tweaks of past games.

Top Bottom