Movies to look forward to

I like Zombies as much as the next person but http://io9.com/5103103/the-undead-third-reich-comes-to-sundance Nazi Zombies? awesome.

But for a real gritty I think its the most gritty and brutal Asian movie I saw I would say it would have to be Dog bit Dog ( Believe its Korean ) not sure if anyone has seen this but I go to a NYC Asian film fest once a year and I saw that movie at least I think that's the name. I was pretty happy I got to meet Tak Sakaguchi at the primear of his movies Yorai Zombie Samurai and Be a man Samurai school.

Another movie I liked not sure if it was talked about was Crying Fist. Wish I could remember more but I cant at this time.

I saw Ponyo last night and loved it. It wasn't as great as the other Miyazaki films but it was nice movie to watch with a wife and kids or a girlfriend that appreciates anime films. The story seems very simple to me. The kind where everything could've been avoided in the first half-hour of the film.

There were some adult themes in there or rather adult comments that were funny. Don't know maybe it's just me since I have a weird way of interpreting some comments in a totally different way than they were intended. All in all it was ridiculously cute. It seemed like Miyazaki said to himself when making this "How cute can I make this movie." Because at times the movie was too cute which isn't a bad thing.

I mean, in the theater it as packed with little kids. Nearly every "cute" part of the film you would hear some sort of reaction. Like "AWWWW" or "SO CUTE!" The funniest reaction was when a character was searching for his mom and yelling "MOM! MOMMY! MOM!" When the character stopped yelling a baby yelled really loud "MOMMA!" when everything was silent. Haha many positive reactions in this film and lots of laughs. Even the girl I was with joined in the "AW so cute." or I guess I should say even I joined in the "OH SO CUTE" crowd. I usually don't like exposing my emotional side but whatever.

I recommend it! Nice movie.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Can't wait for Tarantino's new movie this Friday!!! I saw Brad Pitt on Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO last night and i never really cared about the guy up until that point. I mean he's a good acter (most of the time) but I didn't know much about his personal life nor I have seen many interviews with him, and I'll admit when I saw him in the trailer I was like "WHY, GOD WHY!". But after seeing him last night I think I really like him. He seems like a cool guy and I hadn't realized exactly how many films he has done, it's like over 40 or something. Anyway I'll post a video of the interview later if i can find, it may help some of you who are having trouble getting past Brad Pitt as the lead in a Tarantino flick as I was. Interesting as well, I.B. is released on the same date as Robert Rodriguez'z new movie Shorts, which is kinda funny how that happened since they always work together and their last films, combined to make Grindhouse, was released at the same time. I think it's the first time two Directors have released their films on the same date twice in a row. I could very well be wrong but I've never heard of that happening before. I'll also add that I'm praying this is Roberts last kids movie so we can get back to Sin City sequels. I thought it would end with spy kids 3d game over but he just won't let it die :mozgus:

I'm thinking Inglorious Bastards will be a fun movie. I don't know how much action will be in but I think it will be enough and not over the top but I could be wrong. I'll just leave it at this.."I'm not in the prisoner taken bidness I'm in the killen Nazi bidness and bidness is a booming!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I'm thinking Inglorious Bastards will be a fun movie. I don't know how much action will be in but I think it will be enough and not over the top but I could be wrong.'\
Of course there is action, however I'd say it's a mostly dialogue driven movie. The scenes tend to build toward a talky climax that generally ends in mass bloodshed.

The ending is what really makes the movie memorable though. :carcus:

Saw Ponyo as well the other day. I liked it better than Howl's Moving Castle, but it was mostly just really cutesy. Not to say that I thought that was bad. I found myself enamored by the movie and I usually can't really take that kind of stuff for long.

That said, after watching Death Proof, I don't know how much forward I can look to Inglorious Bastards. I've liked a lot of Tarantino's stuff, but Death Proof felt so pretentious and now I'm scared of getting sucked into something similar.

dialogue driven movie
I know most of his movies are like this, but I found Death Proof to be insufferably dull.

Walter said:
Of course there is action, however I'd say it's a mostly dialogue driven movie. The scenes tend to build toward a talky climax that generally ends in mass bloodshed.

The ending is what really makes the movie memorable though. :carcus:

I know there is action I was wondering if it'll be like Kill Bill action or more like Pulp Ficton action. I will agree death proof was really bland wish there was less talking.

I also had watched Ponyo it was ok the only movie I like from them well the guy's son I shoud say is Tales from Earthesea.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Breed1Ghost said:
I know there is action I was wondering if it'll be like Kill Bill action or more like Pulp Ficton action. I will agree death proof was really bland wish there was less talking.

I still feel that Death Proof was better then that garbage, Kill Bill.

Edit: Movie mixup.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I still feel that Death Wish was better then that garbage, Kill Bill.

Kill Bill garbage? Whaat?! And did yo mean Death Proof or Death Wish? Because there is movie with Charles Bronson called Death Wish that QT is a fan of.

I actually wasn't that impressed with Kill Bill either, but I'm probably in the minority.

Really liked Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown but that's about it for me.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I still feel that Death Wish was better then that garbage, Kill Bill.

Death Wish is awesome and a great classic. To compare Kill Bill to an awesome classic like that....you just can't. Haha there is no comparison. I enjoyed Kill Bill and liked it just I thought volume 2 wasn't great but to call Kill Bill garbage is insane.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
Kill Bill garbage? Whaat?! And did yo mean Death Proof or Death Wish? Because there is movie with Charles Bronson called Death Wish that QT is a fan of.

Yeah I meant Death Proof. It's probably my subconcious telling me I need to watch that movie again. I still stand by my comments that Death Wish is better then Kill Bill. :serpico:

ori said:
Death Wish is awesome and a great classic. To compare Kill Bill to an awesome classic like that....you just can't. Haha there is no comparison. I enjoyed Kill Bill and liked it just I thought volume 2 wasn't great but to call Kill Bill garbage is insane.

Yeah I meant Death Proof, but still I wasn't comparing the two movies. :azan:

Kill Bill was "great" when I was younger. I tried to watch it again and I just can't stomach either movie [Part 1 or 2]. I just want Tarintino to get back to making movies more along the lines of Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, so hopefully I'll enjoy Inglorious Bastards.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I was really looking forward to this movie. But after this trailer, not anymore. Looks like shit, cheap video. "celluloid forever", wasn't it Herzog? :schierke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0NzJxT6PL8

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just got back from District 9. Wow, I dont think i have seen a movie like this before. The first half was interesting but i started to get a little bored in the midway mark, then the movie just picks up and the action dosn't stop until the final. Emotional too, if you hated Transformers 2, then you may love District 9.

Got back from G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra, I really liked it. Mainly because its kinda what I was expecting the G.I. Joe movie to be first hand and it managed to keep me satisfyed. Only problem I has was Baronesses story, other than that though I did love it, being a fan of G.I. Joe as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
Got back from G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra, I really liked it. Mainly because its kinda what I was expecting the G.I. Joe movie to be first hand and it managed to keep me satisfyed. Only problem I has was Baronesses story, other than that though I did love it, being a fan of G.I. Joe as well.
You're the same guy who loved both Transformers movies, right? Just checking. :troll:

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
You should see the G.I. Joe movie if you want to watch a small piece of your childhood die inside.

On a more positive note: I did enjoy District 9.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, I saw District 9 Monday and it reminded me of good old school action/adventure movies when they were still allowed to have some basic intelligence, humanity, and drama to actually make it effective. It had the usual logistical implausibilities, but that's okay for this kind of movie; if anything, it's biggest flaw is that it makes you think it could be a "more serious" film than it's trying to be, and I indeed felt like it was a wasted opportunity on some level, but for what it is, it was very good. See it if you like watching movies.

Next Monday: Inglorious Bastards.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Agreed, District 9 was a great watch but did leave me wishing I could see more of how story-setup related issues were supposed to have worked, because we weren't given enough information to see if the authors had bothered to make them make sense or not. The kind of stuff I would have wanted to know but which wasn't relevant to the actual ongoing plot (if you just accept the situation as described).

GI Joe was, uuhhh... :???: Snakeeyes vs Stormshadow was the closest they got to fan-pleasing, and even there it was the silly-putty version of their history. We all know who killed Hard Master, and it sure wasn't who they said in the movie. I guess it sums it up pretty well to say that one of the main characters came onscreen and I thought, 'huh, that's a weird take on Dr. Mindbender...' and an hour later Dr. Mindbender came onscreen and I thought, 'huh, that's a weird take on Dr. Mindbender...'

If you want to watch some good Joe, check out the fucking Resolute animated miniseries. Holy fucksocks.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I hate to say this but District 9 looked to me also like a sort of testing ground for peter jackson and the distant Halo movies. Seriously as a fan of the games I couldn't help but be reminded of Halo type weapons, ships, aliens and action. It could be me but the people who I saw it with agreed, it just reminded us of Halo, and since Jackson is going to be involved one way or another in the future films, it seemed almost obvious that the Halo movies would have a similar style.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I hate to say this but District 9 looked to me also like a sort of testing ground for peter jackson and the distant Halo movies. Seriously as a fan of the games I couldn't help but be reminded of Halo type weapons, ships, aliens and action. It could be me but the people who I saw it with agreed, it just reminded us of Halo, and since Jackson is going to be involved one way or another in the future films, it seemed almost obvious that the Halo movies would have a similar style.

Unless I'm mistaken the Halo movie isn't being done anymore, and Jackson said the project kind of transitioned into District 9.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Unless I'm mistaken the Halo movie isn't being done anymore, and Jackson said the project kind of transitioned into District 9.

Thats true. Peter Jackson let Neill Blomkamp (District 9 director) make whatever movie he wanted with the 30 million dollars they still had from the failed Halo movie. But I don't think the Halo project is abandoned in any sense, just on hold. It's still on imdb for 2012 with Jackson producing. There is no doubt in my mind that a Halo movie will get made at some point after they figure out all the legal stuff. Even Steven Spielberg was reportedly blown away by the script he read for Halo.
Death May Die said:
Random question from far left, is Distract 9 better than The Abyss? This will help put things in perspective for me.
Lol why the Abyss?? But to answer the question best I can I would say no. The Abyss was one of my favorite childhood movies that is just so well thought out, so epic, and so ahead of it's time (when it was released). I mean I would rather watch District 9 because its more fun, more to the point and more entertaining, but the Abyss is a "better" movie in the traditional sense.

Top Bottom