Seven Samurai 3-Disc Edition

Oburi

All praise Grail
If you look at Mifune's filmography he was in almost every big Samurai movie hit for years. You can still catch samurai classics on IFC every Saturday morning, they also air, coincidently, samurai 7 the anime which is SO lame. And in my opinion the remake might be worth it if they did it like in the old days by making it into a western or something, as much as I love samurai pictures I still love the old spaghetti westerns. But to just blatinly remake a classic, I have to ask myself why? Why ruin such a groundbreaking film. It's like remaking the Wizard of Oz(which probably isn't far off) or another Kurosawa classic like Ikiru...o wait.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=8079
Great article on American remakes.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Electronic Frys has this baby for $29.99 on sale right now. I grabbed the last one and a raincheck for another one for my bud. Just to let any frugal folk know, its better then paying $45 at Best Buy! Love to you all!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Good to know. I watched Yojimbo the other day for the first time in ages and almost forgot how excellent it is. I'll be picking these up shortly. Cheers for the notice, rakshas!

I'm sure most of you know, but for those who don't, Yojimbo was the inspiration for a Fistful of Dollars and Last Man Standing.

Um...yea, that's all I have to say.

I don't like the movie Seven Samurai, what makes everyone think it's so great?  It reminds me of Citizen Kane... boring.

I feel a major bashing coming on. :p

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
pippin22 said:
I feel a major bashing coming on. :p

Oh you better fuckin' believe it, Pip! May I ask you specific reasons why you didn't like the film? I know people who don't like the film, and it's usually for one reason. I believe dwarflicker stated it earlier in the thread with his question...

dwarfkicker said:
How's the action?

Some people I've spoken with dislike the movie simply because the lack of "action", as they call it. If you go into Seven Samurai thinking it's going to be a slash fest with one man vs. many fight scenes then you are dead wrong. The "action" in this movie was enough to keep me on the edge of my seat, although its not flashy or over the top. The battles in this film are realistic and tactical while still being able to be exciting. This movie is a drama of the highest quality and I am not afraid to say I had tears in my eyes at the end of the film. Get back to me, Pip!

Oh! Did anybody pick up Yojimbo/Sanjuro yet? If so, give me some impressions. Tomorrow I get a paycheck and a day off work so I going to pick it up and marathon both films if I have the free time. Studying be damned for one day!

Well, I only saw it once and that was about a year ago.  From what I remember I didn't really think it needed any more action, and the action was very well done.  I think it was the plot... a bunch of farmers want to protect their town, so they hire some samurai and they fight off some invaders, the end.  It was especially boring when they were trying to find samurai, and the samurai entered the town and stuff, pretty much the whole middle section of the movie I found extremely boring, but the end was also mildly boring.  I just didn't see anything great about it...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
Well, I only saw it once and that was about a year ago. From what I remember I didn't really think it needed any more action, and the action was very well done. I think it was the plot... a bunch of farmers want to protect their town, so they hire some samurai and they fight off some invaders, the end. It was especially boring when they were trying to find samurai, and the samurai entered the town and stuff, pretty much the whole middle section of the movie I found extremely boring, but the end was also mildly boring. I just didn't see anything great about it...
It'll grow on you with age. I don't really feel the need to convince you, because I know my first viewing of it wasn't very spectacular either ... But after the second viewing, a year later, it had completely transformed in my eyes.

I do think it's one of the most universally appealing movies I've ever seen. I've shown it to my parents, whose favorite movie is DUMB AND DUMBER and my girlfriend, whose favorite movie is ... well, let's just say we have different tastes :carcus: , and both groups loved it.

As far as Yojimbo/Sanjuro ... Yojimbo is amazing. Sanjuro is a little mixed, in my opinion. In addition to the anachronistic placement of Mifune's character (he time travelled 200 years in the past for the sequel), the structure of the movie itself isn't as entertaining as Yojimbo's pure atmospheric, badass mood. There's really too much going on in the sequel for it to live up to the simplistic setup of Yojimbo.

Walter said:
As far as Yojimbo/Sanjuro ... Yojimbo is amazing. Sanjuro is a little mixed, in my opinion. In addition to the anachronistic placement of Mifune's character (he time travelled 200 years in the past for the sequel), the structure of the movie itself isn't as entertaining as Yojimbo's pure atmospheric, badass mood. There's really too much going on in the sequel for it to live up to the simplistic setup of Yojimbo.

If anything, the last few moments of Sanjuro are pretty cool. :carcus:
**Spoiler**
http://www.thepalehunter.com/sanjuro.jpg

Walter said:
It'll grow on you with age. I don't really feel the need to convince  you, because I know my first viewing of it wasn't very spectacular either ... But after the second viewing, a year later, it had completely transformed in my eyes.

Makes sense, maybe I'll get back to you in a few years. :badbone:

Walter said:
I've shown it to my parents, whose favorite movie is DUMB AND DUMBER

Now that I can relate to! A true classic. :void:

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
pippin22 said:
It was especially boring when they were trying to find samurai, and the samurai entered the town and stuff, pretty much the whole middle section of the movie I found extremely boring, but the end was also mildly boring. I just didn't see anything great about it...

Wow, really? The "searching for samurai" sequence is one of my favorite parts!

Walter said:

While, as you say, Yojimbo is overall a better movie, Sanjuro is really entertaining. I love the comedy in it, especially the montage where Sanjuro is repeatedly woken up by the bumbling samurai.

Uriel

Mail man just arrived with my Sanjuro rental :guts: I'll post with my opinion after I got the chance to sit down and watch it!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
My plans last night fell through because goddamn fuckin' stupid idiot Best Buy never even got a shipment in! By the time I got to Electronic Fryes they were damn sold out! Oh, Walter you gave top notch advice to pippin earlier.The movie took a little while to grow on me also. I was very happy the day when I could sit through the movie from start to finish. And Sky, the searching for samurai is one of my favorite scenes also! Uriel, I look forward to your expert review of Sanjuro!

Why do I stress myself out over this crap and not just order it from Amazon? Because I'm an idiot, thats why!

Uriel

Wow, Sanjūrō was a treat. I almost enjoyed it as much as Yojimbo, and that really is saying a lot. Mifune was a pure badass as Sanjūrō, once again, only this time it was nice to see his skills used more frequently. The start was confusing at first, all the talk of Chamberlains and Superintendents in an unfamiliar setting threw me off. Luckily, Sanjūrō emerged to put things into an easier perspective. The DVD I watched was the previous edition, so some of the dialogue went untranslated -- luckily my limited knowledge of Japanese was there to make it a little easier. Still, the general plot was solid, as were each of the performances. I must admit I laughed my arse off on many more occasions for Sanjūrō than I ever did for Yojimbo. Mifune was just much more... cunning this time around. Couple with the apparent stupidity of those who surrounded him, Sanjūrō shone.

This paragraph containts some spoilers, guys!! You've been warned (this time...) The element of the sheath-less blade added a depth that I had not anticipated from the movie. Nakadai's role as Muroto has become another memorable character for me... the famous ending of the movie was made even more potent when I knew that Sanjūrō was ultimately killing his own self in Muroto. Excellent cinematography, but I expected nothing less from Kurosawa. Okay, enough of spoilers. My birthday is two weeks away, so the set has gone right to the top of my "wishlist"... I'll come to enjoy these movies time and again without ever getting tired of them. When a film can do that, it's a great thing...

Speaking of which, I found both the movies dirt cheap over at DVD Planethttp://www.dvdplanet.com/Details.cfm?info=HVD001939 -- $45.47! I didn't realise a two disk set was released by criterion, but if anyone else here has it and recommends it, this'll probably be the one I'm going to snatch up. I don't want to lose out with any material that's included in the individual releases, though.. so anyone who knows of a difference, please let me know!

Now then... which one to watch next :badbone:

handsome rakshas said:
Uriel, I look forward to your expert review of Sanjuro!

Hope that was alright for ya...

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Uriel said:
Now then... which one to watch next :badbone:

If you haven't seen any/many of his non-period drama films yet, I'd recommend Stray Dog, Drunken Angel (if you can actually find it anywhere), and Ikiru. High and Low is also really good. Well, I guess pretty much all of them are. If you watch Ikiru, bring tissues!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
High and Low, Red Beard and Dersu Uzala are my favorite non-period Kurosawa films. Dersu should be coming this year, hopefully. Criterion's had it licensed since 2004...

Walter said:
High and Low, Red Beard and Dersu Uzala are my favorite non-period Kurosawa films. Dersu should be coming this year, hopefully. Criterion's had it licensed since 2004...
I'd certainly classify Red Beard as a period piece, though, granted, not within the same period as his samurai films, but it certainly isn't contemporary. (?)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I just got a raincheck for Yojimbo/ Sanjuro at Fryes for $44.99. which is a pretty good deal. I happen to see a copy of Red Beard there as well, and I'll tell you that from reading the back of the case I'm very interested in this movie now. Maybe Kurosawa and Mifune could teach me a little "bedside manner"?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess all I meant was that it's not a traditional samurai flick, though it does take place during that period, like you said.

Uriel

So, today is my birthday and my kickasstic wife got me the two disk set -- I can confirm that it absolutely rocks. Well worth buying, chaps! The quality is incredible in every sense..

I'm just so happy right now. :judo:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Uriel said:
  So, today is my birthday and my kickasstic wife got me the two disk set -- I can confirm that it absolutely rocks. Well worth buying, chaps! The quality is incredible in every sense..

I'm just so happy right now. :judo:

Nice, that is a top quality gift right there! Make sure you give your wife "lots of lovin' tonight" or Mifune would be pissed! I'm still waiting for Fry's to get my raincheck filled, hopefully not too much longer to wait. Happy Birthday man!

Top Bottom