Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean as a rule. I read it from a book that says that usually SFX are writen in that way, but also says that it is just a mangaka's personal choice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
brinco said:
I didn't mean as a rule. I read it from a book that says that usually SFX are writen in that way

Well it's still wrong in the way you said it, even if you read it from a book. Although, the context might be specific or you could be forgetting something your book said... But that doesn't really matter, it's no big deal. Like I said it's really up to the author's choice (on that the book is right), with a predominance of Katakana in general. Now if we want to get into Berserk specifics we might as well create a thread for it because it'll take a while to detail.

Anyway I think you worded your previous post incorrectly, that might be the problem. Hiragana is often used to depict things people utter, that could be what your book said. Screams such as "ああああ..." are usually written in Hiragana for example. On the contrary you can hardly see Hiragana used for sound effects that represent actions, even human related ones.

That being said, we're getting a bit too off-topic for my taste. Let's try to concentrate on the actual story featured in the DH volumes if possible, since this is what the thread is about.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update for this confused and off topic thread. Handsome Rakshas confirmed that there actually ARE sound effect boxes in DH's volume 12. Further discussion should take place in the appropriate thread though, which is here: Dark Horse Releases.

This thread is for discussion of the story within the volumes.

Jimsicle

Guts doesn't believe in God, God believes in Guts!
Cheers to Aazealh for making this thread. Much appreciated.

I found it a little too late though since before you made this I browsed through the forum and stumbled upon a few spoilers :judo: but not your fault whatsoever, I'm just glad noone else can make the same mistake I did :guts:

On volume 12 at the mo, pre-ordered 13. The Battle for Doldrey and Guts battle with Wyald are no doubt my fave fights! My fave volume is 3 cos of Guts confrontation with the Godhand with Femto in er...tow (poet, but I just don't know it!) and after seeing the series, what Guts and Femto talk about makes a lot more sense! Excellent stuff!

Yaysome!

Berserker_Paradox

Fate demands we strive for what we'll never get.
:'(

I just bought book 13 and read it within 30-45 minutes. I am still devastated as we speak, but at least I've finally reached that point. For three years, I've waited to see what happened after the anime ended, and now I finally have. Reading online manga scans are cool, but actually holding the book in my hands and seeing it all go down... My heart aches. I've always been a Griffith fan, but the man I loved is dead. All that's left is pain and despair. I must see what happens next!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Berserker_Paradox said:
I just bought book 13 and read it within 30-45 minutes. I am still devastated as we speak, but at least I've finally reached that point.

Hehe yeah, that's a hard part to read when you've emotionally attached yourself to the characters. It really is the end of the Golden Age, any way you think of it. And I'm sure you'll like what comes next. :guts:

Berserker_Paradox

-rob- said:
Does anyone know the fastest place to order DarkHorse volumes? Because most of them I just got in Winter Park (400 miles away from where I currently am)... And when I ordered volume 8 off of Ebay it took 5 WEEKS!

Personally, I couldn't handle the forever-long wait of internet buying when it comes to the Dark Horse releases. There's an anime store in my city, so I go there . They receive rather quickly and I don't have to pay any shipping fees. But, if you have no such luck, your local bookstore might have a manga section. Stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble both have Berserk in stock, at least in my area. I reccomend you check it out.

Aazealh said:
Hehe yeah, that's a hard part to read when you've emotionally attached yourself to the characters. It really is the end of the Golden Age, any way you think of it.

I keep messing up my posts!

But yeah, totally. It's really tough, but I'm excited to be into new material. It's like a second season or something. It's just too bad I'm still 15+ books behind the Japanese releases.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Berserker_Paradox said:
I keep messing up my posts!

Haha yeah I saw that and fixed it. You should know that you replied to a post that's exactly one year old though, and that the poster in question (-rob-) isn't even a member here anymore.

Berserker_Paradox said:
But yeah, totally. It's really tough, but I'm excited to be into new material. It's like a second season or something. It's just too bad I'm still 15+ books behind the Japanese releases.

Well, you'll catch up fast enough I guess. It's not that bad to get the volumes slowly, at least that gives you the opportunity to really enjoy them and probably to pay them more attention than you would if you could read everything at once.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble both have Berserk in stock, at least in my area. I reccomend you check it out.

Some of them do but the Barnes and Noble that's closest to my house doesn't carry Berserk or any manga that has the parental advisory sticker. I was told that a child complained or something stupid. Damn, Barnes is alright but that Noble is an asshole. But now that I'm out of high school and have no idea what to do with my life, a friend of mine and I are thinking about opening a shop. He wants it to be like a swords and incense kind of place, but I told him that if I go down to co-own, I'm definitely having a big ass manga section because there is no place around for people like me to get that stuff. Everything I get comes from ordering online, which isn't bad but it still sucks :miura: So yea It's getting pretty seriouse and hopefully one day I'll have my own shop :guts:

Berserker_Paradox

Aazealh said:
Well, you'll catch up fast enough I guess. It's not that bad to get the volumes slowly, at least that gives you the opportunity to really enjoy them and probably to pay them more attention than you would if you could read everything at once.

Very true. While waiting for the next volume, I've decided to go back through my first 12, and savor the artwork a bit. I can always keep up on the manga scans if I'm really craving new material.

Oberi said:
Some of them do but the Barnes and Noble that's closest to my house doesn't carry Berserk or any manga that has the parental advisory sticker. I was told that a child complained or something stupid. Damn, Barnes is alright but that Noble is an asshole.

Lol, that really is a bummer. Perhaps bookstores in cities close to you aren't so uptight. I really didn't think Borders would carry manga, but the one in a neighboring city has a very wide selection, including Berserk and its latest volumes. Could be worth looking into for you.

Oberi said:
But now that I'm out of high school and have no idea what to do with my life, a friend of mine and I are thinking about opening a shop. He wants it to be like a swords and incense kind of place, but I told him that if I go down to co-own, I'm definitely having a big ass manga section because there is no place around for people like me to get that stuff. Everything I get comes from ordering online, which isn't bad but it still sucks :miura: So yea It's getting pretty seriouse and hopefully one day I'll have my own shop :guts:

I'm very fortunate to live anywhere near an anime store. Your idea sounds very cool! I myself am a fan of swords as well as anime. It's difficult when your needs of manga/anime can only be satisfied via online purchases, but hopefully you can do a little research on local manga/anime venues. That, or pay of overnight shipping :isidro: on the latest Berserk volume.

Oburi

All praise Grail
That, or pay of overnight shipping on the latest Berserk volume.

To hell with the latest release of berserk here in the states. I'm currently buying the japanese volumes via amazon. But yea it sucks for other series that I'm waiting for (Eden, BOTI, Deathnote) I'm always behind everyone else :miura:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oberi said:
To hell with the latest release of berserk here in the states. I'm currently buying the japanese volumes via amazon. But yea it sucks for other series that I'm waiting for (Eden, BOTI, Deathnote) I'm always behind everyone else

Well that's great but you know, this thread is about the US publication of Berserk, and was specifically made to discuss what happens in the manga (as opposed to retailer information or other such things that you can talk about in the Berserk Miscellaneous section) for people who don't want to risk reading spoilers. So please, let's stick to the topic as this is the only thread the members only following the US releases have.

Berserker_Paradox

Aazealh said:
Well that's great but you know, this thread is about the US publication of Berserk, and was specifically made to discuss what happens in the manga (as opposed to retailer information or other such things that you can talk about in the Berserk Miscellaneous section) for people who don't want to risk reading spoilers. So please, let's stick to the topic as this is the only thread the members only following the US releases have.

Aazealh is totally the pimp of this site (it's a compliment, really). ;)

This was the one I had been waiting for. After seeiing the anime, like most fans i wanted to know what really happened during the eclipse, and of course afterwards. When i had seen the origional rape scene in the anime i was disturbed, But now after reading the manga, im downright disgusted and pissed off. I'm sure that is what miura was shooting for, but i cant help but keep thinking about how wrong the whole thing seemed. It was like something was off. Maybe i just font understand all of the manga stuff yet.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
HumanWeapon said:
This was the one I had been waiting for. After seeiing the anime, like most fans i wanted to know what really happened during the eclipse, and of course afterwards. When i had seen the origional rape scene in the anime i was disturbed, But now after reading the manga, im downright disgusted and pissed off. I'm sure that is what miura was shooting for, but i cant help but keep thinking about how wrong the whole thing seemed. It was like something was off. Maybe i just font understand all of the manga stuff yet.

I think that's exactly the way Miura intended it to be. I felt very weird the first time I read it, as it is much more graphic than the version presented in the anime. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as I'm sure it's a fairly normal reaction shared by most of the fans here.

I was finally able to track down volume 13 on a recent business trip, and without going into too much detail, is there a printing error with this volume? One of the episodes seems a little odd. Sorry if this has been explained already, but I didn't seem to have any luck finding a similar post.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
kakizaki said:
I was finally able to track down volume 13 on a recent business trip, and without going into too much detail, is there a printing error with this volume? One of the episodes seems a little odd.

Sorry but I think you'll have to give us more details about this if you want an answer man. What episode is this exactly, and what is the alleged error?

Sure thing. Just trying to be careful about spoilers. It is 'God of the Abyss' episode. Halfway through the episode, the pages flip upside down and repeat all the same material from the first part of the episode until it's end.

Doh! I held off on returning it. I guess I wanted to know if this was a common error and I would have a high probability of encountering it again. No one else seemed to have mentioned it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't help you much with that unfortunately, but my guess is that it only affects a specific batch. So yeah, I think you should try to return it.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
kakizaki said:
Sure thing. Just trying to be careful about spoilers. It is 'God of the Abyss' episode. Halfway through the episode, the pages flip upside down and repeat all the same material from the first part of the episode until it's end.

WTF? I've been collecting manga for a dozen years and have never seen anything like that! Didn't this happen to someone else earlier? Not that it really needs to be mentioned any more than it already has been, but what is with all of the problems with this poor manga?!

I'm sure you won't have a problem returning it. If you still want to buy a new one, maybe try buying it from a different store in case the one you bought it from originally only has copies from the bad batch...

I bought it at a Borders while on a business trip in Des Moines. I am home now back in Minnesota and I can only think of one Borders location. I was just going to order the damn thing but it was always back order from where I usually purchase manga online. I might just keep it and buy another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom