The Walking Dead

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Issue 100 hit the stands today... It's fucking brutal. Day-ruining. My mind kept drifting to it throughout the day and it's ... man.

Thing is, there's just one horrifying moment, but the rest of the issue is a real let down. We finally get to meet the guy behind this new opposition, and he's certainly not anyone as memorable as The Governor. It's sad. But I have a feeling that the function of this new villain will serve as yet another way to shape Rick's character.

He certainly didn't waste any time bashing Glenn's head in. Pretty fucking depressing. I was depressed when Abraham was murdered, but this just got to me like I never thought anything would. Up until now, I've come to terms with characters being killed off in the series. But Glenn? Jesus Christ. Honestly, it feels like Kirkman is the GRRM of comics. He's killed off SO many characters. It's just so fucking depressing. I can't wait for Rick to kill this fuck. Seriously. Glenn was my third favorite character (second after Abe died).

/vent

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
He certainly didn't waste any time bashing Glenn's head in. Pretty fucking depressing. I was depressed when Abraham was murdered, but this just got to me like I never thought anything would. Up until now, I've come to terms with characters being killed off in the series. But Glenn? Jesus Christ. Honestly, it feels like Kirkman is the GRRM of comics. He's killed off SO many characters. It's just so fucking depressing. I can't wait for Rick to kill this fuck. Seriously. Glenn was my third favorite character (second after Abe died).

/vent
It's true that part of the impact is the character. He was an innocent. And while the loss of the character is one thing, the portrayal of it... could it have been more disturbing? It strikes me as calculated, but in such a way that I also acknowledge just how EFFECTIVE it was at being disturbing. Really ruined my day.

I really hope Negan is more interesting than he appears. Right now he's basically a stereotypical, sadistic asshole. One of the first few phrases out of his mouth is "pee pee pants." Really? It seems like a real failure, on Kirkman's part, so much so that I might write him to tell him how disappointed I am.

Hello everyone, recently i have become quite interested in reading this series. I see that there have been a few Omnibus' and compendium's released. What would you suggest is the best deal on price and quantity? I'm not too keen on the idea of purchasing 100 standalone issues.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Jaze1618 said:
Hello everyone, recently i have become quite interested in reading this series. I see that there have been a few Omnibus' and compendium's released. What would you suggest is the best deal on price and quantity? I'm not too keen on the idea of purchasing 100 standalone issues.
From what I've seen, the individual issues are $15, the hardcovers with a few issues are $40 or so, and the big omnibuses are a little more. I say go for the omnibus, since you're getting the most comic for your buck, though they I hope you don't mind doing a little heavy lifting. :guts:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
This is probably the best deal you can get on the compendum.

Walter said:
It's true that part of the impact is the character. He was an innocent. And while the loss of the character is one thing, the portrayal of it... could it have been more disturbing? It strikes me as calculated, but in such a way that I also acknowledge just how EFFECTIVE it was at being disturbing. Really ruined my day.

I really hope Negan is more interesting than he appears. Right now he's basically a stereotypical, sadistic asshole. One of the first few phrases out of his mouth is "pee pee pants." Really? It seems like a real failure, on Kirkman's part, so much so that I might write him to tell him how disappointed I am.

Agreed. Negan seems like a "first" villain, if you get where I'm going with. He basically treated them like it was their first rodeo or something. I didn't appreciate it and it made Glenn's death more pathetic than any other death. It was like a slap in the face to the character and the series. I, too, hope Kirkman pulls something off that makes up for this.

You should definitely write a letter to him. I was considering doing the same thing, actually.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
It was like a slap in the face to the character and the series. I, too, hope Kirkman pulls something off that makes up for this.
'
Well, Kirkman usually manages to surprise me, but I can see it going down like this:
A bomb.

H

hellrasinbrasin

AMC's The Walking Dead Series 3 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V9_lkap-uFA

H

hellrasinbrasin

Walter said:
No one cares anymore.

I would have to agree with u Walt to a degree I'm only interested in seeing
The Prison arc
and that's it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Come on, dude. Some of us actually like the show.
If you can stomach the ridiculous show, then you'll really appreciate the comic. You should read it. What you're doing is akin to a guy who wants to experience Berserk through the movie adaptations.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
If you can stomach the ridiculous show, then you'll really appreciate the comic. You should read it. What you're doing is akin to a guy who wants to experience Berserk through the movie adaptations.
I read the beginning of the comic and yeah so far it's pretty good. Though can you really call The Walking Dead comic a masterpiece like Berserk is? Maybe I'm not far enough into it or something but so far it's a good story, but that's about it. Nothing spectacular.

I consider the TV show and the comic to be two separate things. The show isn't exactly the most intelligent thing out there, but it's fun to watch.

Yours is the point of view of someone who's upset at an adaptation of something they really love and I can totally get that, trust me. But I don't know if catching up to the comic will make me hate the TV show. But yes, Mr. Walter, for you I will read it <3.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Like Gobs said, I think we were both pretty surprised to find that we still enjoyed the show after reading the first few issues of the comic. Granted, we're only up to issue 4, but so I've found different reasons to like both. For example, I thought Shane went through some fascinating changes throughout the course of the show (
his betrayal of Otis was hands-down one of my favorite moments so far
), and the addition of Merle and Daryl has added in some extra unpredictability. The pacing is a lot different from the comic, as you guys have already pointed out, but I think it suits the medium, personally (Something tells me that I'm gonna catch some flak for that... :griffnotevil:). That said, there are things that I dislike about the comic and the show, but none of them are dealbreakers for me. It's true that I might've felt different if I had read the comic first, so I can understand your feelings to a degree, Walter. At least in the case of the Walking Dead, you don't have to worry about half-assed CGI zombies disrupting your concentration. :ganishka:

Anyway, One thing I'm wondering about for the upcoming season is the inclusion of
Tyrese. He's probably my favorite comic characters so far, and I would be really disappointed if he doesn't get to join the group before the Prison arc. I'm also wondering (if he shows up) if he'll end up developing a relationship with Carol, who's obviously pretty different in the show.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The comic doesn't find its stride until volume 2-3 or so. They change artists around then, and it really begins to take off. But in particular, I wasn't a huge fan of the series, nor a trumpet for it, until the prison section, which is I believe around the late 20s.

Grail, regarding Tyrese, I just assumed they were going to substitute him for T-Dawg. :ganishka:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Walter said:
The comic doesn't find its stride until volume 2-3 or so. They change artists around then, and it really begins to take off. But in particular, I wasn't a huge fan of the series, nor a trumpet for it, until the prison section, which is I believe around the late 20s.
That's good to know, I'll be looking forward to reading it! :carcus: We should be picking up the first compendium soon.

Walter said:
Grail, regarding Tyrese, I just assumed they were going to substitute him for T-Dawg. :ganishka:
If that's turns out to be the case, then I really will be worried about the future of this show... :magni: Seriously though, I don't see T-Dog making it through this next season. For a guy whose contributions to the team can be summed up as a long string of screwups, I'm surprised he didn't end up in Hershel's barn. :ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:

Really? I thought the first volume was really great, while the next few were pretty boring. It's been a while since I've read them, though, so I could be wrong. But, yeah, the prison arc was fantastic. The one part that got me and I just knew I couldn't get attached to anyone was when
Tyrese got his head chopped the fuck off. I was like, surely someone will come to his rescue. Right? RIGHT? Oh, damn.

Also,
when Lori and Judy get killed. I was like, did that just fucking happen? Really? A baby?
. The best part of the whole arc, to me, was actually at the end when
the other townspeople were making their way into the prison and dead were following them. Pan out to see the prison and SFX of "pow! pow! ...click. click."
Made me shutter.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
The best part of the whole arc, to me, was actually at the end when ...
Yep. It's pretty fucking fantastic. Think the TV show will match that? :ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Yep. It's pretty fucking fantastic. Think the TV show will match that? :ganishka:

There's no way in hell. Not with the directors they have. If the show were produced anything like Breaking Bad, then I don't think I would watch any other channel.

Here's some nice Entertainment Covers

original.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This season will live or die based on how it handles Woodbury and the Governor. And based on their insipid casting choice for him (lower left), I can't say it's going well so far... :azan:

Walter said:
This season will live or die based on how it handles Woodbury and the Governor. And based on their insipid casting choice for him (lower left), I can't say it's going well so far... :azan:

And considering that the 3rd Series has been given a longer episode count than Series 1 or Series 2 that means that we will enjoying the
Woodbury and Prison arcs
simultaneously and hopefully free of any bullshit filler.

But as far as anything related to casting choices goes concerning The Governor I guess it'll come down to a wait and see.

Top Bottom